~Hakurei Shrine~ > Alice's Art Atelier

[Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)

<< < (39/68) > >>

Anunsew:

--- Quote from: HARU Channel Syndications on June 12, 2011, 06:40:37 AM ---Try using Maple Virtual Midi Cable to link the output of the SoundMax card to ASIO.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, though, since I haven't needed it extensively.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, I'll try it.

--- Quote from: VIVItheFujoshi on June 12, 2011, 08:25:58 AM ---if you still taking requests...please do a song for Youki.

--- End quote ---

I might allocate some time for it. I need all the practice I can get. XD

for some reason, I have this urge to study 65c816...

DX7.EP:

--- Quote from: Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight on June 12, 2011, 08:53:47 AM ---for some reason, I have this urge to study 65c816...

--- End quote ---
...isn't that the SNES CPU? Also you may want to study the SPC700 (SNES sound chip).

I personally prefer the YM2610 though (SNK Neo-Geo's sound chip, which was FM + quite a few PCM channels). The other close ones are YM2612 (Sega Megadrive chip - FM + PSG) with the Ricoh RF5C164 (8-channel PCM on Mega CD) and the 32X's 2-channel PWM PCM (18 channels of glory) or the OPL3 (Sound Blaster 16) mixed with a wavetable synth like GUS and several MIDI boards (SC-55, MU-50, MT-32, etc.) Moreover PC98 was mostly FM synthesis on Yamaha chips (though different ones).
...yep, I love old sounds.

I find the Motorola 68K (Megadrive, Sharp X68K, Neo Geo, CPS1) plus Z80 (those, and more devices) easier to learn. Even if they are total nightmares in assembly (well the latter is from experience programming TI calculators D:), at least the former has good C compilers out there.

Alternate method of composing like the SPC700 or any of these older chips is to use a tracker software such as OpenMPT and write music with that instead, using VSTs, samples, etc. that are appropriate for the chip you desire to emulate (eg. for SNES sounds I'd have 8 channels, and put my samples at 16-bit 32kHz, though most games stuck to 8-bit mono 22kHz instead).

I'd note a few things about each system, but instead I'll tell you some things that are handy:
FM synthesis: VOPM is a great VSTi to use. Synth1 is also very good but is more general-purpose.
8-bit: Famitracker is the best for that NES/Famicom feel.
Sample-based: See the limits of the respective system.
Neo Geo-style: FM channels were used for bass as well as adding a few effects to the PCM base sounds (often reverb).
CPS1-style: PCM was at about 11kHz, hence those fuzzy drums in Street Fighter 2.
PC Speaker: Prepare to write at a VERY fast tempo if you want to simulate polyphony.

Anunsew:
Above post just saved me a lot of time for research. Thanks!  :D

Oriental Love Consultation

Tried to clean up my earlier version of Reimu's theme, then uploaded it to youtube. XD

DX7.EP:
Eh, it was nothing :D

I'm trying to learn the gimmicks and whatnot of these older chips as well, while putting them into more modern contexts (eg. using VSTis or AUs to process FM sounds). Similar for MIDI stuff (in particular Yamaha MU modules and Roland Sound Canvas and SD modules such as the SD-90).

Feel free to ask me further about those chips, MIDI synthesis, etc. if it be needed.

I like this version of Oriental Love Consultation. Better and the sounds are more crisp. I can hear the parts rather distinctly (maybe except for the celesta).

Netwarrior:

--- Quote from: Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight on May 22, 2011, 08:16:10 AM ---Nope. My focus in real life is programming, and I'm still doing my studies.

--- End quote ---

Programming? Software Engineering, I guess?
I'm also in this thing, and I'm very fond of my skills (I'm currently studying Assembler SIMD extensions for 3D calculus optimization. Kinda tricky and rough, but gets easier by practice). I'm doing a game development course at college/university (I dunno the difference between these terms), but I already knew enough even before entering it.
What kind of software do you intend to make? More precisely, what area do you intend to work in?

I can teach you a thing or two. If you intend to work with games, I can recommend a handful of books that will surely be of great help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version