Author Topic: Pok?mon thread Generation 2: Gold/Silver version  (Read 48625 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Pok?mon thread Generation 2: Gold/Silver version
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
Yeah so, I got the idea to pick a game and do a giant series of challenges involving using a Pokemon team comprised of only one type (dual types allowed). Basically think Gym Leaders. Garlyle mentioned that Fire Red Omega (some rom hack involving all Pokemon?) would be best to do this with and I'll probably make Water my first run.

Mono-type challenges are as old as the internet, but.

Good luck anyway

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:19 AM »
Yeah well I don't play Pokemon that often, so mono-type is new to me.  :V

Also haven't even started this yet because I can't get the Firered rom to cooperate with save type issues.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2010, 05:58:31 AM »
Yeah well I don't play Pokemon that often, so mono-type is new to me.  :V

Also haven't even started this yet because I can't get the Firered rom to cooperate with save type issues.

Flash 128k plz

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2010, 06:00:15 AM »
Yes of course, that's the first fix I found out. Sadly the most obvious fixes never seem to work for me since I'm still having issues.  :V

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2010, 04:48:06 PM »
So if you aren't aware yet, new Mystery Gift is the Enigma Stone, which allows you to catch a special Latios/Latias.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
I wish I could use Wi-Fi and get that. I could use another Latios to teach Dragon Dance and no Physical Moves.

Fluffy Rocket Tails

• The fluffiest.
  • Far superior to any Tanuki.
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2010, 04:59:51 AM »
I really need to finish Soul Silver, I stopped months ago before I even got to Ecruteak because I got sick of having to train my new Pokemon up for this ridiculously specific party that probably isn't even that great anyway, and I still can't decide what should go in the 6th spot. 
I want that Latias but I'm no where near getting the National Dex.
Take me on a rocket ride.

Kaboom!

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2010, 05:02:34 AM »
I want that Latias but I'm no where near getting the National Dex.
Well, as long as you have the Enigma Stone from Mystery Gift, you can take as long as you need to catch it.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
Pokemon Black and White version incoming in Japan in a few weeks.

I'm probably gonna pick it up.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »
Excellent I hope Smogon/Hackers can crack the Rom quickly and get translations so I can beging to theorymon.

And I hope that Eagle doesn't end up in the same boat as the other normal flyers besides Staraptor.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2010, 12:56:06 AM »
Excellent I hope Smogon/Hackers can crack the Rom quickly and get translations so I can beging to theorymon.

And I hope that Eagle doesn't end up in the same boat as the other normal flyers besides Staraptor.

I could do translations if you really want >_>

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
Nah Smogon will likely have stuff soon after it's release. Besides I mainly want new move descriptions for the most part.

Bananamatic

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:04 PM »
hopefully this isn't a bad necro because it's already a topic series
lol, "hax clause"
Sceptile used Energy Ball.
It's not very effective...
Toxicroak lost 37% of its health.
Chloroform's Toxicroak fainted.
The battle has ended.
Analyzing battle data for luck factors...
Chloroform wins!
EeveeTrainer: WTF
EeveeTrainer: OMG
Chloroform: XD

also thought about getting a DS just to join the fun...and I should be able to get B/W at launch. Do it y/n

And is Tropius any good? :V

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »
hopefully this isn't a bad necro because it's already a topic series
Ha ha, old chap!, "hax clause"
also thought about getting a DS just to join the fun...and I should be able to get B/W at launch. Do it y/n
:teaspit:

And is Tropius any good? :V
Nope :smug:

Bananamatic

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2010, 12:56:36 AM »
I'll use him anyways because IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING TROPIUS and fuck metagame and OU and whatnot

anyways how does wifi battling work
do most people get legit pokes or they just shark what they want? I'm really behind the last gen :V

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2010, 01:31:48 AM »
anyways how does wifi battling work
If you want to battle someone over wifi you'll need to trade friend codes and add each other to your respective Pal Pads. The wifi center ingame is the lower floor in any poke center. In there you'll see whoever else is registered in your pal pad if they're online, and you can either trade or battle with them.

do most people get legit pokes or they just shark what they want? I'm really behind the last gen :V
Most pople use legits but there's really nothing stopping anyone from using lv 100 Slaking with pure power or w/e

Bananamatic

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »
by legit I obviously meant sharked but legit pokemons because people cba to train and there are no differences, not Wondertombs and truantless Slakings :V

atleast my lack of nerdy irl friends won't screw me out of Steelixes and whatnot this time

EDIT: more questions

Do really so many people go by the smogon tiers? Checked some wifi battles on youtube, no Garchomps at all.
And does everyone breed for perfect and shit, or 99% of the wifi videos are by competitive players?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:22:07 PM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
Well, the guys at Smogon tend to test everything before making any changes on tiers. Tests that usually take some months IIRC.

It would make sense for most people playing competitively to have them as their first source to check what to play, and what not to.

About breeding for perfect, I'm not so sure. It does take a lot of time, but since we now have Internet, and a way to clone Pok?mon... It's easier to get that near-perfect IV baby if many people try at once as a team, then clone the result and distribute.

Bananamatic

« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
Yeah, but how many people actually make their teams competitive?

I don't really like Smogon because it affects almost every player...and the fact that way too many people just get everything off there instead of being original. And people which bitch about DT in friendly battles and stuff.

« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2010, 10:49:13 PM »

You have a point there.

Overall, I think you can do good without breeding for near-perfect IVs. Of course, you should still pick the ones with higher IVs whenever possible.

Aaand, I think most people are stuck with Smogon-like tiers. Evasion depends on luck, and while it is a valid strategy... A lot of people also get upset because they usually don't want to include 100% accuracy moves, or Rain Dance + Thunder (Speaking of which, I still want to see a Thunder bypassing Protect in the rain), etc.. In fact, evasion was one of the main reasons Smogon wanted to ban Garchomp from OU. Everyone would complain how their "counters" would miss one attack, then get KOed by Garchomp, then everything went to hell.

Your best bet would be to ask whoever you're battling if he/she is OK with DT before the battle...

« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
I don't breed for IVs, and I use Pok?mon I think I can make work regardless of tier. I'm especially fond of trying to run unconventional Pok?mon like Lanturn and Bibarel.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »
Bah, fallen back into this game. Can be rather hellish working out the kinks of a team...

I don't breed for IVs, and I use Pok?mon I think I can make work regardless of tier. I'm especially fond of trying to run unconventional Pok?mon like Lanturn and Bibarel.

Making a "crappy" Pokemon great makes you into a badass. No exceptions. :V

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
I'll use him anyways because IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING TROPIUS and fuck metagame and OU and whatnot

It does get Dragon Dance and is one of the pokemon that should be awesome but aren't.

Also Lanturn isn't that Unconventional it just needs to be used properly.

« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »
Also Lanturn isn't that Unconventional it just needs to be used properly.
It's really great on the defensive, as it resists the most common special attacks and can inflict paralysis or confusion.

Bibarel I want to use because Simple makes it seem promising to Baton Pass to.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
All UU pokemon are okay and can be used. It's the OU pokemon that are better and game-breaking. For instance, Choice Scarf Tyranitar.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
Still haven't bothered to try and fix my stupid emulator issue (still get the signs of saving issues despite changing my settings to the correct savetype) but I think I came up with a Monotype Ice team that I reallly like. Opinions?

Abomasnow
Glaceon
Regice
Froslass
Walrein
Mamoswine

Bananamatic

« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
All UU pokemon are okay and can be used. It's the OU pokemon that are better and game-breaking. For instance, Choice Scarf Tyranitar.
copypasted smogon scizors
everywhere

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
Still haven't bothered to try and fix my stupid emulator issue (still get the signs of saving issues despite changing my settings to the correct savetype) but I think I came up with a Monotype Ice team that I reallly like. Opinions?

Abomasnow
Glaceon
Regice
Froslass
Walrein
Mamoswine
Regice isn't that great despite being a legendary, because it's good defenses are a mismatch for it's poor defensive typing. You may want to consider Weavile as a revenge killer or choice bander instead. I'd want to know what movesets you're planning before i judge any further though :V

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
Articuno is likely a better defensive Ice type if you can stop Stealth Rock but if it's for in-game only it looks fine.

Also Smogon does a very good job on exploring most pokemon thoroughly but most of the sets they make are bog standard.

Bananamatic

« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »
Lapras is pro man