Author Topic: Touhou "Bragging Rights" Thread (VII)  (Read 157091 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou "Bragging Rights" Thread (VII)
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2010, 12:39:55 AM »
The ease which I took. :yukkuri:

I feel like I've lost something being able to just clear scenes with next to no thought at all. I remember sweating bullets and grinding through those scenes way back when, but now that I can do them so easily, it makes me a bit sad. The joy of the struggle is over.

StB scenes usually get much easier once you beat them once, but that applies to the shooters in general. This is why difficulty levels exist.

Speaking of StB I should play some more but I'm feeling more sick than usual. =_= After 10-6 everything else will feel like an anticlimax.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2010, 12:41:38 AM »
Then play for score already  :|

It's more challenging that way.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2010, 12:42:57 AM »
This is why difficulty levels exist.

Pfft, what are those?
Spoiler:
And no, I am not going to play EoSD hard. Like ever.

Speaking of StB I should play some more but I'm feeling more sick than usual. =_= After 10-6 everything else will feel like an anticlimax.

This is why you save EX-8 for the grand finale. Or if you're a horrendous Shiki fangirl like me, 10-8. It makes me sad that 10-8 isn't terribly flashy, though. :(

Cut by Baity:
score

That makes even less sense than difficulty levels :/

nintendonut888

« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2010, 12:45:21 AM »
Believe it or not, I do sometimes try to get good-scoring pictures in StB. :yukkuri: It has a good score system. The thing that doesn't appeal to me is getting EVERY shot as perfect.

Also, while grinding 10-6 last night, it occured to me that the game could really use a vsynch patch. Did one ever get made for it?

And no, I am not going to play EoSD hard. Like ever.

Blegh. =_= Your choice.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
That makes even less sense than difficulty levels :/
How does it make less sense exactly? When playing StB for score, you take more risks. This puts the difficulty "up" in the sense that you're putting yourself into the more dangerous parts of the Scene.

Besides:

You get awesome pictures like this.

Pastry chop: Yes it did. See attachment. I do not guarantee stability.
<>

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2010, 12:49:14 AM »
The V-sync patch always speeds StB, SA, and UFO up to 75 fps for me.

I actually didn't notice for awhile, and did a whole lot of the stuff between Level 3 and 9 at increased speed. I'm not sure whether I'm happy or mad about that.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
The V-sync patch always speeds StB, SA, and UFO up to 75 fps for me.
That's because you have Vsync = 1 in the .ini (configuration settings). So to speak, it sets the FPS equal to your monitor refresh settings; what you want to do is set Vsync = 0 to keep it at 60 FPS. Though, this is basically saying that you want Vsync off for these (which is what I'm doing). Or set refresh to 60 Hz  :V :V :V
<>

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2010, 12:57:07 AM »
How does it make less sense exactly? When playing StB for score, you take more risks. This puts the difficulty "up" in the sense that you're putting yourself into the more dangerous parts of the Scene.

Ah, good point. StB is one of the games in which I actively scorewhore. That said:

I'm not terribly good at it. :/ Compare my score to yours. And then the scenes. Ugh. -___-

Also where the hell is your English patch Baity ???

nintendonut888

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
kthx. Aya feels marginally more controllable. :V

Also 8-7 argh.

EDIT: lol I beat it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:01:21 AM by nintendonut888 »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »
I find it mildly horrifying that I, a danmaku normal mode player, cleared all of StB months ago, and now lunatic mode players are just getting around to clearing it. >_>
Well I'm only now getting back into Touhou, so...

10-8 isn't really that bad; you just need to get used to the patterns. And by the way, the butterflies are aimed. I think it's really great fun.
Aya's micrododging abilities, etc.

at which point I blind-capped 6-3, 6-4, and 6-5 in quick succession within two minutes on my first try (and then took a break).
Those are all easy though :V

Scoring in StB is kind of fun, if somewhat arbitrary.  There's a huge difference between clearing scenes and clearing them well, and it's a lot more satisfying than bothering with any of the "real" games' score abuse techniques tbh.  That's why I look at the useless score pages on the wiki and see if I could place on them, like taking the #1 spot for 4-8.

Also 8-7 argh.

EDIT: lol I beat it.
liez n deseet

EDIT:  Was under the impression that the image resize fairy was automated now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:15:15 AM by u? »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2010, 03:03:57 AM »
Have now beaten Mountain of Faith Easy with all shot types, and gotten my first SA Easy clear with ReimuA.

...I wasn't expecting SA to be easier than MoF.

nintendonut888

« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2010, 03:05:43 AM »
Just beat 9-6 without showing any signs of insanity for once.

EDIT: Down to ten scenes, captured EX-4 and EX-6.

EDIT 2: Down to Suika's scenes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:58:37 AM by nintendonut888 »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:57 AM »
SA Easy 1CC with ReimuB.

fuck yes utsuho you are the best boss fight ever

« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:13 AM »
UFO Lunatic 1cc with Reimu A. Hooray!

I'm very disappointed with my dodging in this run, but I played "Touhou: the game of resource management" for what might as well be called my first time, bombing anything I was insecure about.... Which led to 5/4 entering Byakuren. Can't complain too much I guess. This was my second time getting passed her second card ever, so I just bombed everything to secure a 1cc.

Also, that death at the end of Parasol Star Memories had me raging for the proceeding three stages, but I'm happy now so \o/

nintendonut888

« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2010, 05:39:30 AM »
Congrats Naut! Welcome to the cool kids club!

As for me, I just finished beating all 85 scenes in StB again. Bring on Double Spoiler ZUN! And I expect it to be harder! Harder~~~ :>

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
...I wasn't expecting SA to be easier than MoF.
Try SA Normal (or higher for that matter) before saying that.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2010, 06:18:08 AM »
Try SA Normal (or higher for that matter) before saying that.
Uhh, he just specified easy mode, not normal ??? MoF easy can be harder than SA easy, the same way some normal modes can be harder than others, or any other difficulty. :S

PS: EoSD with its five stages on easy modo says hi.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:52 AM »
Uhh, he just specified easy mode, not normal ??? MoF easy can be harder than SA easy, the same way some normal modes can be harder than others, or any other difficulty. :S
I know he's been playing on Easy. Perhaps I worded it wrong (tired here), just meant to give him a heads-up that above Easy, SA is definitely harder than MoF.

And EoSD never came up in his comparison.

EDIT: Might as well add something on-topic. Randomly felt like doing something in EoSD higher than Normal (i.e. Hard). Got up to Patchouli's first NDL before gameovering (forgot which way it was supposed to sweep), following a noticeable waste of resources (both lives and bombs) in the stage portion because I couldn't remember when I was supposed to stream the Kedamas' shots.

I'd also consider it an accomplishment that I'm beginning to appreciate EoSD's gameplay - well, in the earlier portions at least. I attribute that to the lack of bullet types with weird hitboxes, mainly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:00:46 AM by Funen1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2010, 08:05:43 AM »
Cleared EX-8. Only 1 scene left. I don't know when i will be doing that one though as there is this little game called Final Fantasy XIII coming...

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:05 AM »
Pretty rare of me to actually mess up "Sinking Votex" and let it carry through. I dodged the first wave of the 3rd non-spell under these conditions. In the middle of a run, etc.

EDIT: Hm. Looking alright. I don't like my shivering though.

Now trembling like crazy!

Strat: Bomb, scream, Bomb, scream, etc.

EDIT 3: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=5148.msg277516#msg277516
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:22:07 AM by Baity »
<>

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
PS: EoSD with its five stages on easy modo says hi.
And those five stages still kill you.  You will die embarrassing deaths to Sakuya the first time you meet her.

I'd also consider it an accomplishment that I'm beginning to appreciate EoSD's gameplay - well, in the earlier portions at least. I attribute that to the lack of bullet types with weird hitboxes, mainly.
:ohdear:

nintendonut888

« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »
EoSD

Lack of weird hitboxes

:akihawhat:

Also, Baity, you so crazy.

And aaah why is the twelfth so far awaaaaaay? :( I wanna get my Double Spoiler on! StB is so amazing because from level 5 on each individual scene is like its own world with its own rules and it's such a great concept but as I proved by ripping apart the entire second half of the game in one day it's gotten too easy and I want harder! HARDER!

Hehehehehehehehehe...

Maybe once I get home I'll play something on lunatic... EoSD, or IN, or MoF, or maybe even that SA if I feel like banging my head against a wall.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I just rechecked ZUN's blog and it's the FOURTEENTH. D= NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Formless God

« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Every scenes in DS will play like 10-8, and we'll be seeing a crying Donut.

:3

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2010, 03:18:58 PM »
:akihawhat:
That is, the bullet types present in EoSD's first few stages are more trustworthy than those found later (fire, metal fatigue, knives, etc.).

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
That's because you have Vsync = 1 in the .ini (configuration settings). So to speak, it sets the FPS equal to your monitor refresh settings; what you want to do is set Vsync = 0 to keep it at 60 FPS. Though, this is basically saying that you want Vsync off for these (which is what I'm doing). Or set refresh to 60 Hz  :V :V :V
Addendum: the default for the patch is Vsync = 0, so if you didn't touch it things should be working as expected and in-game FPS would be whatever you have GameFPS set to (default is 60).
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Formless God

« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »
Perfect UFO Stage 1 Lunatic.
My movements are more "wavy" than ever. Maybe I should take a break from StB ...

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
Picked up StB again to get in the mood after ~6 month of not playing it.

I finally captured scene 10-8!

Took me ~ 50 tries, making for a history of ~(1/300)

Also, on my capture, the last three pictures have a score of zero.  :V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »
Forgot about this:
Also where the hell is your English patch Baity ???
Collecting dust. I normally play without the English Patch.

Also, Baity, you so crazy.
Thank you!
<>

Bananamatic

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
"my copy of the game is in Japanese, which means that I'm cooler than you"

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
"my copy of the game is in Japanese, which means that I'm cooler than you"
"it means you're cooler than-GODDAMNIT!"

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson