Author Topic: ITT: Castlevania  (Read 9157 times)

Chainsaw Guitar

ITT: Castlevania
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
I'd just like to start off by saying: Castlevania Chronicles is an incredibly over-looked gem in the series and everyone who has a PS3/PSP should download it off the PlayStation store immediately.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:58:28 AM by Chainsaw Guitar »

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Re: ITT: Castlevania
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
I only played the original Rondo of Blood, because I don't own a PSP/PS3. But, my favorites are the Sorrow series and Order of Ecclesia. OoE for obvious greatness, and the Sorrow series for perfecting the formula of SotN. Also, Claiohm Solais.

Bananamatic

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »
Played only Lament of Innocence, finished it on Crazy and managed to no damage the final boss, then got bored :V

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
I'd just like to start off by saying: Castlevania Chronicles is an incredibly over-looked gem in the series and everyone who has a PS3/PSP should download it off the PlayStation store immediately.

I would but I can't connect to it.

Anyways I fail to see why people say SotN is so good. And I still need to beat PoR with Old Axe Armor and Richter & Maria

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Played the NES games, except for simon's quest because it sucked. Got until SotN, but then got into touhou.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »
I tried Castlevania Chronicles actually. I owned a physical copy back in my day  :V

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:36:05 AM »
I played through the Castlevania portion of I Wanna Be The Guy today, does that count? :V

"WHAT IS A MAN" *wine glass*

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:41:40 AM »
I would but I can't connect to it.

Anyways I fail to see why people say SotN is so good. And I still need to beat PoR with Old Axe Armor and Richter & Maria

Gotta love hype. It is good, just not the best. IMO, from what I've played: Chronicles=Rondo of Blood>Symphony of the Night>Dracula's Curse>Lament of Innocence.

I played through the Castlevania portion of I Wanna Be The Guy today, does that count? :V

"WHAT IS A MAN" *wine glass*

Get the fuck out and don't come back until you've played SotN. You will then realize just how stupid that meme is considering it's easily the least memorable part of the game.

Spidere

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 01:48:28 AM »
Get the fuck out and don't come back until you've played SotN. You will then realize just how stupid that meme is considering it's easily the least memorable part of the game.

Jeez, your pretty harsh to the non-fans huh? Not all of us have a PS3 or waste all our money every month to use Xbox Live. Even then, some of us don't have a microsoft/psn/credit card to use.

I kinda like that meme too. And SotN is pretty good. I only played it because it pioneered the newer playstyle. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as everyone said. (See: Hype Backlash)

Don't mean to sound like a troll btw.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »
I was crushed that the PSP version of SotN lacked the bad text...

SotN is confusing and I can't figure out where to go...

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 02:05:39 AM »
Jeez, your pretty harsh to the non-fans huh? Not all of us have a PS3 or waste all our money every month to use Xbox Live. Even then, some of us don't have a microsoft/psn/credit card to use.

I kinda like that meme too. And SotN is pretty good. I only played it because it pioneered the newer playstyle. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as everyone said. (See: Hype Backlash)

Don't mean to sound like a troll btw.

I didn't mean to come off as an elitist... It just annoys me that it's like, the only thing it's known for nowadays aside from being the most critically praised game in the series considering how often it's repeated... :-\

(Sorry for snapping Eso!)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:09:08 AM by Chainsaw Guitar »

Spidere

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
I didn't mean to come off as an elitist... It just annoys me that meme is like, the only thing it's known for nowadays aside from being the most critically praised game in the series... :-\
(Sorry Eso!)

Knowing Eso, he won't care. It's just you screamed GTFO in his face. If it were someone more sensitive a flame war could've broken out.

Also, I need to get Order of Ecclesia.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:09 AM »
Why must the meager handheld systems get all the good Castlevania games? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY???!!

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »
It's not the meme that made me laugh so much as the fact that I got killed by a wine glass mid-quote. :V

Knowing Eso, he won't care.
It's true. :V

Spidere

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
Why must the meager handheld systems get all the good Castlevania games? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY???!!

Because I like my Castlevania anywhere. That's how I play my SotN, NES trilogy, SNES game, Rondo of Blood etc etc. All on my psp.

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
I own most of the GBA and DS ones.   :V

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 04:19:37 AM »
Order of Ecclesia was probably one of the best DS games I've ever played. definite recommendation

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 05:51:46 AM »
I didn't mean to come off as an elitist... It just annoys me that it's like, the only thing it's known for nowadays aside from being the most critically praised game in the series considering how often it's repeated... :-\

(Sorry for snapping Eso!)
you know what i remember more?

crissaegrim cutting the shit out of everything

YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
Anyone else besides me buying that $200 OST (18 discs + 1 DVD) for Castlevania?

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »
Order of Ecclesia was probably one of the best DS games I've ever played. definite recommendation
One of the best DS games I've played, the best Castlevania I've played.

Haven't played SotN yet, to be fair. (To be even more fair, I have no intention of doing so, as I've heard nothing to make me think all the hype it gets isn't from nostalgia rather than actually being better than recent games.)

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
Speaking as a person who just played SotN last year, I can safely say the hype is not from nostalgia. It is a timeless classic. Do not deny yourself of this experience.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »
I actually started playing SoTN a month ago and I actually don't like it too much.

Anyways why does the Art in Rondo of Blood Remind me so much of PC-98 Zun Art...

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 03:12:57 AM »
SotN is confusing and I can't figure out where to go...

That's not really something you can hold against this game; it is a Metroidvania. It's a given that that will happen.

Also, the music in Rondo of Blood reminds me of PC-98 music. Specifically...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYlDaYf44Y#t=2m40s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMdUP5bsiMw#t=0m30s

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
I know most people hate em, but I favor the ps2 castlevanias. Thegame boy ones just don't have the same atmosphere and music quality IMO... Plus I don't like platformers much. Sotn WAS good but it was far too easy. I really wish the game boy castlevanias captured the atmosphere like sotn did. Curse of darkness was fun but it sucked that you only spent the final dungeon in the castle, and that little bit was like 3 rooms copy and pasted 200 times. Way to fuck up the exploration fun for that game. The castle in lament of innocense was great but the camera didn't do it justice =(.

I hope they don't screw up the new castlevania coming out for the
ps3. They better keep death and Dracula in it as the big bars too.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
WHAT THE HELL SOTN YOU MEAN THOSE ODD BACKROUND OBJECTS WHERE ACTUALLY PLATFORMS?!

Yeah so I found a Holy Sword when I was playing last night which was much stronger than my current weapon and I died before reaching a save point...

Also is Order of Ecclesia fully enjoyable without shoulder buttons?

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 07:24:12 AM »
I hope they don't screw up the new castlevania coming out for the
ps3. They better keep death and Dracula in it as the big bars too.

I think they may have already screwed it up. By canceling it in favor of Lords of Shadow. =(

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 07:55:25 AM »
I think they may have already screwed it up. By canceling it in favor of Lords of Shadow. =(

Lords of shadow IS castlevania. Just like Windows Vista is Longhorn.

The main character is still a belmont, and I don't think it's assuming too much (though I'd be lying if I said I was sure) to think the villain would be Dracula, or someone related. I just hope to god you get to spend loads of time in that sweet castle. I remember reading a review or whatever praising ecclesia or whatever because it was fun due to not spending so much time in 'that boring dusty old castle". wtf is that idiot reviewer smoking. Castlevania without the castle is not cool at all. It's not like it's the same exact archetecture each time, and even if it WAS the exact same, that would only add to the cool factor (if done occasionally). I remember when you played Super metroid for the SNES, and the planet layout was pretty much the same as the NES version, it was effing cool!..

gahh...idiots.

Back on lords of shadow though, the fact that they have Patrick Stewart as a voice actor is win. He's about as good a voice actor as they get IMO. Only guy better is Leonard Nemoy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:02:19 AM by Ghaleon »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
Also is Order of Ecclesia fully enjoyable without shoulder buttons?

They're necessary to play.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
Well guess buying that is out of the question then.

Anyways I just remembered I have a really old Castlevania game for Game Boy in my room somewhere i'll need to dig it up.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »
The old Castlevania games are fun but aggravating. Man, I remember having a seizure along with my grade school buddy when we tried to get through Castlevania 3. Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow are both good for the GBA, but Circle of the Moon felt a bit too klunky and dull. Predictable or not, SotN is definitely my fave, dialogue and VA in-jokes aside since a number of PS era games could provide stuff like that.

you know what i remember more?

crissaegrim cutting the shit out of everything

YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Slashing through everything from fleamen to guardians just never got old.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16