Author Topic: Is it time for Reimu and Marisa to retire?  (Read 33414 times)

Re: Is it time for Reimu and Marisa to retire?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
Retire? They're, like, 12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-Oc503dQs

But if they HAD to be replaced, it'd be Reimu's daughter/grandaughter, and Marisa as a Youkai, or Marisa's apprentice who wants to carry out her dream to find a legit way for a human to become a youkai without giving up their humanity or whatever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBZFDM-mxmg&fmt=18

didn't want to miss the jokes :p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 03:44:18 AM »
I must be the only person who actually thinks Reimu and Marisa look like they're in their mid-twenties. >_>
I do!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 05:20:48 AM »
And Kogasa as a playable? Ghal, my friend, I'd sooner see Nue as playable. :V

Eh? I'm the only guy who can be considered "ghal" that I know of. And I never said no such thing, not even close.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 05:51:04 AM »
Shoot, sorry, I meant Enigma. I looked at the quote tag for some reason. ._.

But still, Nue comes sooner than Kogasa.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm just seeing a lot of "This is my favorite character. Therefore, the creator of the series should make them more prominent." (Yeah, yeah, I know, but still ...)

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm just seeing a lot of "This is my favorite character. Therefore, the creator of the series should make them more prominent." (Yeah, yeah, I know, but still ...)

This is basically what everyone wants. No one really gets -why- old characters don't really return with new moves, or why Reimu and Marisa are the prominent Heroes.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »
I think that Byakuren should replace Reimu :V *shot* Marisa should never stop being playable~ <3

Chaore

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
I think that Byakuren should replace Reimu :V *shot* Marisa should never stop being playable~ <3

* Chaore reloads his shotgun*

I do agree about Marisa though, especially since shes the obviously more likely candidate. At this point, she really seems more like a mascot than Reimu, And given 'Project Shrine Maiden', its a great irony.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
* Chaore reloads his shotgun*

I do agree about Marisa though, especially since shes the obviously more likely candidate. At this point, she really seems more like a mascot than Reimu, And given 'Project Shrine Maiden', its a great irony.

You ever hear of Strongbad.com? Or was it supposed to be Homestarrunner.com...?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
it's homestarrunner.

Still though, Reimu and Marisa are still loveable as %#@$, leave em alone I say.

Chaore

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
it's homestarrunner.

Still though, Reimu and Marisa are still loveable as %#@$, leave em alone I say.

I think that was his point.  :V Homestar is supposed to be the main character, but strongbad takes the lead.

And yes, Besides, No one could really replace them and keep the same feel as the other games.

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 09:13:30 PM »
You ever hear of Strongbad.com? Or was it supposed to be Homestarrunner.com...?
Homestarrunner.net: It's Dot Com!

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see a game that changes things up for once and let's us play with some of the other characters that get less spotlight than the others (Shut up, I'm not talking about PC-98, although that would be nice). Maybe something with, I'unno Nitori or something. I don't know, just anything's better than the same thing over and over again. I guess

But what do I know, I'm just good at bitching about something that won't change anyway.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Chaore

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
But what do I know, I'm just good at bitching about something that won't change anyway.

I love when people make my points for me.  :V

If anything, To really keep the theme, You'd probably not get any of the youkai as PCs. Probably someone like Sakuya or Sanae. So really, the only way to have a new game with new mains would be new characters, or Sakuya+Sanae Double Team mayhem game.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 01:21:20 AM »
Well many of the fangames feature different main characters, some of them are bad, but many are excellent. Normally fan-made works for games aren't really considered, but dismissing them for Touhou would be a mistake IMO. The amount of work and dedication to your average Touhou fangame is way past other games that I've seen, furthermore, since Touhou itself is a doujin game, doujin fan games about it are pretty "official" in their own right.

Chaore

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 01:26:21 AM »
Well many of the fangames feature different main characters, some of them are bad, but many are excellent. Normally fan-made works for games aren't really considered, but dismissing them for Touhou would be a mistake IMO. The amount of work and dedication to your average Touhou fangame is way past other games that I've seen, furthermore, since Touhou itself is a doujin game, doujin fan games about it are pretty "official" in their own right.

...Is this a response to me or just a general comment, cause ya lost me. :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »
...Is this a response to me or just a general comment, cause ya lost me. :V

The people who want to toss Reimu and Marisa out on the street like chopped liver crowd in general.

Chaore

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »
How does it really discourage them? :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 01:44:32 AM »
How does it really discourage them? :V

Now you lost me. Ignore everything I said and pretend I said something like "MIMA CHAAAAAN!!!!!" or whatever.

Truly though, without Reimu, how are Touhou fans gonna get their armpit fix? Sanae's just don't have the same luscious curves.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 03:05:33 AM »
I'm kind of expecting Kogasa for playable in Touhou 13 or as an Ex Boss or something later in the series. But then, is it really a surprise then if some people would expect that as a surprise?

Up till now, all playable characters in the main window games have been humans. (PoFV and StB are the only exceptions) So it's not that probable for Kogasa to be playable. '^'

Unless something like StB is released, and it's like Kogasa dodges danmaku while go up to scare characters from TH10 - 12.  :V

Chaore

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 03:18:10 AM »
Up till now, all playable characters in the main window games have been humans. (PoFV and StB are the only exceptions) So it's not that probable for Kogasa to be playable. '^'

Unless something like StB is released, and it's like Kogasa dodges danmaku while go up to scare characters from TH10 - 12.  :V

Thaws says it all. MS is pretty much the exception that proves the rule in this case, and Sanae technically counts in both fields being related to Suwako. (Same technically applies to Youmu.) IN also counts if you consider the Youkai Partners like Shot-Types in SA, Or its just another exception (Except for the Windows Series).

Its the small things like Youmu/Sanae's dual nature and IN itself that tend to make you think its not true, but really, Touhou's set up is Humans Fight Youkai.

Almost makes me want to make a Danmakufu game with the opposite theme. :V
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:40:44 AM by Chaore »

ebarrett

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
Touhou is a series about Reimu solving incidents, everything else is Christmas specials and bonus tracks.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:31 AM »
Touhou is a series about Reimu solving incidents, everything else is Christmas specials and bonus tracks.
Sounds like your average american cartoon show to me.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 04:32:04 AM »

fangames <> canon; you may do whatever you want in a fangame you create, you have that sort of freedom in them. (ZUN was worried that -- possibly newer -- people would think that the Maikaze anime would be canonical.. provided that said people could distinguish between canon and non-canon, for example, doujinshis.)

Anyways, good news! I came back from the future, and guess who will be the new protagonist for the next Touhou game?
Spoiler:
Yorihime!

*gets Yorihime to protect him from the upcoming tomatoes and shotgun danmaku*
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Chaore

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 04:43:01 AM »
This shotgun of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning bullets tell me to defeat you! Take this, my anger, my biscuits, and all of these bullets!

BURNING SHOTGUN!

*Shoots non-danmaku*

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 05:11:35 AM »
Anyways, good news! I came back from the future, and guess who will be the new protagonist for the next Touhou game?
Spoiler:
Yorihime!

I support this idea 10,000%!

No seriously, I'd love to see my princess show up in one of the games~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Chaore

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:11 AM »
I support this idea 10,000%!

No seriously, I'd love to see my princess show up in one of the games~

This is usually a sign its a bad news. :V

Seriously though, As a shot type, she'd be a redone Youmu to the point people would question why you'd not just choose the more likable character, as a boss people would probably -revel- at the chance to beat her up, and it'd probably give more ammo against her.

As a Shot-type support ala SA or something though, It might be a decent idea if done right. Maybe save her from the depths of backdraft hell. But its more likely given the personalities of the moon princesses to just make people hate her more.

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 06:24:28 AM »
the Lunar Capital can be compared to Gensokyo, though they didn't use spellcard rules there (at least until SSiB). That's why I thought about her.

And the people who dislike her, need to have a dose of Inaba of the Earth/Moon vol. 26 :D
Translations.

Chaore

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »
the Lunar Capital can be compared to Gensokyo, though they didn't use spellcard rules there (at least until SSiB). That's why I thought about her.

And the people who dislike her, need to have a dose of Inaba of the Earth/Moon vol. 26 :D

I don't see V. 26 helping them any time soon, Amusing as it was. Also, I'll give a slight sure to the lunar capital comparison. The scale of the two and issues would be MUCH smaller though, I imagine the capital has a smaller 'absurdly strong compared to others' count than gensokyo. In fact, the closest thing to an incident would be that particular plotline in SSiB.

Which would be plain annoying to see resurface at any point.

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:29 AM »
I was thinking of making this side-scrolling platformer where Yorihime is the player character and she invades Gensokyo ... and the majority of the boss battles are "losing is mandatory" bosses that have cutscenes where you get beaten up out of gameplay if you win, and if you lose the game keeps going, they just skip the "you get beaten out of gameplay" part of the cutscene.

But it got a bit too big.