Author Topic: Question  (Read 11681 times)

Iroku Kuroi

Question
« on: December 13, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, but one of my friends is accusing me of a tool assist on my Extra run in UFO. I've explained that the run is all me, and the only reason the game is any bit slow is because my computer simply sucks for TH12.

Here is my question; Does a crappy computer qualify as a tool assist, even though the person on it has not intended for that?

Bananamatic

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
What is the slowdown %?
Upload the replay so we can see :V

Iroku Kuroi

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:05 PM »

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
Slowdown:  56.170%

Durrrrrm... I hate to break it to you, but for a run to be considered legit, it has to be played with .05% slowdown or less.

So basically, you were playing the game at almost 4/10 the speed it was meant to be played.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
Ahahaha

Yeah sorry, it's no foul play on your part but your replay can't be taken seriously.

Iroku Kuroi

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »
I'm afraid that there isn't any possible way for me to remedy that. Like I said, it's my computer that sucks. The only program that was on at the time was Touhou, so yeah, that's as fast as I can get it on here.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
Durrrrrm... I hate to break it to you, but for a run to be considered legit, it has to be played with .05% slowdown or less.

So basically, you were playing the game at almost 4/10 the speed it was meant to be played.
I thought it was 5%, not .05%, though.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »
I thought it was 5%, not .05%, though.

Derp.  Yeah, that's correct, it is 5%. :V

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 12:20:46 AM »
I'm afraid that there isn't any possible way for me to remedy that. Like I said, it's my computer that sucks. The only program that was on at the time was Touhou, so yeah, that's as fast as I can get it on here.

I can sympathize with you there. I had to deal with a similar situation for ages before I got a new computer. But yeah 56% slowdown isn't acceptable.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Bananamatic

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:22:55 AM »
I can sympathize with you there. I had to deal with a similar situation for ages before I got a new computer. But yeah 56% slowdown isn't acceptable.
Does 56% slowdown mean 56% speed?
I've TAS'd some cards for fun and ended up with 100% slowdown....

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »
Is there an easy way to intentionally slow it down a selectable amount btw? I think it would help to learn lunatics by playing slower after beating hard or whatever. Just enough so you see the patterns and can mentally figure out what to do a bit more. I find it would be easier to remember some of the proper moves for some parts if you can actualy do it slowly than watch an entire stage's worth of replays just for those 1 or 2 annoying parts or whatever.

ebarrett

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 12:29:11 AM »
Is there an easy way to intentionally slow it down a selectable amount btw?

With the vsync patches you set the framerate to whatever you want by opening vpatch.ini and setting "GameFPS = 60" to something else.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 12:29:44 AM »

Are you sure you don't mean 0.5%? I wasn't even aware that the games go to 2 decimal places for slowdown.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 12:30:57 AM »
With the vsync patches you set the framerate to whatever you want by opening vpatch.ini and setting "GameFPS = 60" to something else.

Ahh cool thanks >=)

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:08 AM »
Are you sure you don't mean 0.5%?
I corrected my mistake five posts above yours.  What do you people want from me? :V

I wasn't even aware that the games go to 2 decimal places for slowdown.
Well the replay uploader obviously does, though yes, it probably doesn't mean much.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 01:27:50 AM »
Are you sure you don't mean 0.5%? I wasn't even aware that the games go to 2 decimal places for slowdown.

No, I'm pretty sure it's 5%.

Does 56% slowdown mean 56% speed?
I've TAS'd some cards for fun and ended up with 100% slowdown....

No, 56% slowdown means 44% speed.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 04:30:31 AM »
Hmm...I always thought that the slowdown percentage meant the amount of the replay that was done in slow motion (30fps or less?).

Bananamatic

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 05:51:32 AM »
No, I'm pretty sure it's 5%.

No, 56% slowdown means 44% speed.
Then how did I pull a replay with 100% slowdown?
Must be how much of that replay was slowed down or something.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:36 AM »
IIRC it's the amount of the game that was played at below 60FPS, or something like that.  Not certain, though.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
IIRC it's the amount of the game that was played at below 60FPS, or something like that.  Not certain, though.

It's definitely not that, because for a while my TH11 used to run at a constant 58FPS, and i'd be able to achieve slowdown rates of less than 5%. If it was based on time spent outside of 60FPS, i'd definitely be at 100%..
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »
It's definitely not that, because for a while my TH11 used to run at a constant 58FPS, and i'd be able to achieve slowdown rates of less than 5%. If it was based on time spent outside of 60FPS, i'd definitely be at 100%..

Slowdown is 60FPS less than the FPS your game is running at converted to a percentage, I believe? Not entirely sure.

56% Slowdown would be 33.6FPS lost, and your actual performance speed is at 26.4FPS?

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Drake

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »
No no, it is the percentage of time spent while slowed. It's more like anything below, say 57FPS for longer than five seconds. A quick twitch below won't affect gameplay, but if it stays constant at a noticeably lower FPS, then it counts. The specifics I'm not sure of, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Like how my comp slowed down at Flying Fantastica to 45 FPS for about 5-6 seconds and I got a little above 5% Slowdown.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
I think it depends a bit on the actual game too. For example when I play EoSD, my fPS is always at 60, and it twitches to 59 for like.. 0.1 seconds every 3 seconds or so. And my replays often say 0.x% slowdown. It clearly registers, and it NEVER slows down past 60 for longer than a single second.

However, even though I see that happen in other Touhou games, it frequently just says 0%.

I read somewhere what Shim said though, that it's time spent slowed down, it doesn't really factor in severity.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »
What happens if the sudden slowdown only lasts a short time?

For example, before I lost my MoF game I found that my computer would often drop to 30 FPS during Hina's "Wheel of Misforune" spellcard when she first spawns the bullets around herself, only to quickly swap back to normal by the time the bullets actually reached me, only to slow down again when she spawns the next wave, which would repeat until I took out the card.

Note that this happened absolutely NOWHERE else in the game, even during my 1CC of Normal mode (and not even during the more bullet/effect-intense cards, strangely). Would the problem still count against me, since it made the card that much easier? (The fact its already pretty easy nonwithstanding...) Or is its occurrence small enough to still have my 1CC count as a legit 1CC?

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34:54 AM »
^ Hey that happened to me on Aya's non-spells...It would slowdown after she shoots and then speed up jsut at the bullets reach my area on screen. I still beat it surprisingly.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:41:44 AM »
What happens if the sudden slowdown only lasts a short time?

For example, before I lost my MoF game I found that my computer would often drop to 30 FPS during Hina's "Wheel of Misforune" spellcard when she first spawns the bullets around herself, only to quickly swap back to normal by the time the bullets actually reached me, only to slow down again when she spawns the next wave, which would repeat until I took out the card.

Note that this happened absolutely NOWHERE else in the game, even during my 1CC of Normal mode (and not even during the more bullet/effect-intense cards, strangely). Would the problem still count against me, since it made the card that much easier? (The fact its already pretty easy nonwithstanding...) Or is its occurrence small enough to still have my 1CC count as a legit 1CC?
Yeah, one of my friends has this happen.  I'd say it's still legit.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
Personally, the change in game speed would throw me off more than help out. So I say it's legit, heh.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »
If someone were to dispute your 1cc run as not legit or cheating because you dropped frames on one card of the second boss.. Yeaaah..

I used to have the exact same thing happen to me too at the same moment. I think it fixed itself once I updated my video card drivers, oddly enough.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
I used to have the exact same thing happen to me too at the same moment. I think it fixed itself once I updated my video card drivers, oddly enough.
I thought maybe that might help, but whats really weird is that it happens on Hina, yet for more effect-intense cards like Sanae's "The Day the Sea Split" it doesn't experience any slowdown, nor in the much more bullet-intense cards like Kanako's "Mountain of Faith".

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"