Author Topic: SWR and IaMP - Story Mode Spellcards  (Read 42477 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: SWR and IaMP - Story Mode Spellcards
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
You know, the thread title isn't exactly accurate anymore: This is more "aid Donut in learning how to play fighting games." >_>

I just constructed a deck for Sanae. Is it just me, or does Sanae really...suck? There's barely a good move among her arsenal. She has some sick spell cards (so much I actually put 9 Syllable Stabs in my deck), but generally those are useless in story mode.

To get the ball rolling when I decide to take the lunatic plunge, tips on Patchy's spell cards? I especially don't get her second one. Just dash through, sure, but what happens when she floods the screen with them?

Also, for some reason spell practice is bugged for me. Sanae's is fine, but Cirno doesn't have any of Alice's spell cards, and the last spell card accessible on her list brings up Patchy's theme and crashes the game soon after. Meiling on the other hand has all of the catfish's (damn it why didn't they give him a real name?) attacks, but only Patchy's first spell card open. Is this just a bug with me or what? :(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2009, 12:54:33 AM »
You know, the thread title isn't exactly accurate anymore: This is more "aid Donut in learning how to play fighting games." >_>
Not really  :V If "we" were going to teach you, I'm fairly certain it would be for competitive play. All you're getting most of the time are general rules, tips and referrals. You're not being taught anything really.

I just constructed a deck for Sanae. Is it just me, or does Sanae really...suck? There's barely a good move among her arsenal. She has some sick spell cards (so much I actually put 9 Syllable Stabs in my deck), but generally those are useless in story mode.
Ugh, Story Mode Spell Card choices. I have no idea how well these actually work for said scenario, but from the way that I think the Story Mode Spell Cards work, I recommend taking a look at Falling Stars, Heaven Goddess: Wind (unfortunately, you and 623 issues), Cobalt Spread, and "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars"*. There might be other interesting ones that you can use (note that I recommended mostly Alternate Skill Cards), but I wouldn't know  :V

Refer to this page when you don't know what the hell I'm taking about.

And the rest I can't answer / confirm.

*Only if they jump around as much as they do in SWR

Tidbit, I main Sanae "competitively".
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:57:57 AM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2009, 01:08:52 AM »
Though she's one of my best characters, from a statistical standpoint she's absolute garbage.  Her strengths lie in having powerful and useful specials and spellcards, her 623 being as strong as a typical 3-card spellcard on hit at max level (and it grazes!)  A competitive deck won't work for story mode, so I'd recommend something like this:

x4 Shanghai
x3 Starfall
x3 Kanako tackle
x3 Suwako bubble/snare
x4 Gray Thaumaturgy
x3 Day Stars/Night Stars

nintendonut888

« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2009, 02:24:26 AM »
Yeesh, Sanae is so clunky to play as. Normal 1cc, but I just barely beat Suwako's last spell. Thanks to that one alt 236 that charges I drained 3/4 of her life in the first 20 seconds, then spent the rest of it trying to actually do any damage because Sanae can't attack in diagonals (and oh wow guess what any hit sends you down into). That was more IaMP fun territory (that is, not).

Welp, time to attempt Meiling's lunatic~
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2009, 02:45:30 AM »

D=

Mmkay, I suddenly see the huge problem here. See, Patchouli is shaping up to be like Yuyuko was in SWR, except even worse: A run ender from the very beginning. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ol' Patch supposed to suck in close range combat? How come she's out prioritizing everything I throw at her, and more importantly WTF YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DEAL THAT MUCH DAMAGE IN ONE HIT.

Even if I get past her non-spell, her first spell card is even worse. It quite reminds me of Bad Lady Scramble (that was Remilia's first spell card in IaMP, right?). Throw an attack that is difficult to dodge, throw a freakishly large amount of bullets in its wake so even if you dodge you can't get off a hit without being smacked by a stray bullet that knocks you disproportionately far.

Even after this, I nearly got through Alice, so it's clear Patchy is my biggest problem. Why oh why does this happen? Remilia in IaMP, Yuyuko in SWR, now Patchy in UNL, all end a large percentage of runs before they even begin. :( I suppose it's better than them being in the middle though.

nintendonut888

« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2009, 02:46:20 AM »
Addendum (dammit I want my edit button back): The fact that spell practice is bugged doesn't help. Really, is this just my game?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
Just to make sure that I'm not missing anything, version?

Because my "Spell Practice" certainly works fine here.
<>

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:27 AM »
I haven't tried UNL's story mode yet and I've only tried Suwako's last card twice with Sanae, so I can't really help you with that.  My first thought though: if there's a Bad Lady Scramble-esque card, you should be able to fly over it.

nintendonut888

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2009, 02:59:42 AM »
I don't know for sure, but the folders lead me to believe it's ver 1.02.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2009, 03:05:00 AM »
Perhaps an upgrade (to 1.03) might solve some of those problems? No guarantees that it'll fix the problem, but it just might.
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2009, 03:15:54 AM »
Nope. :\ Didn't work. Mayhaps it has to do with my score.dat? Someone mind lending me theirs for science?

I haven't tried UNL's story mode yet and I've only tried Suwako's last card twice with Sanae, so I can't really help you with that.  My first thought though: if there's a Bad Lady Scramble-esque card, you should be able to fly over it.

Ooh no, that's the beauty. The stray bullets are flung so high attempting this will just lead to you getting guardbroken or if nothing else trapped in the block animation long enough for Patchy to escape.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2009, 03:28:04 AM »
Mayhaps it has to do with my score.dat? Someone mind lending me theirs for science?
Very unlikely that it would be because of the score.dat .
Besides, I use the Full Unlock.dat that they conveniently have up at mizuumi.net  :V

...and upon closer "inspection", it would seem that this is a common problem. In other words, I tried to do "Spell Practice" against Patchy with Cirno; guess the results?
<>

« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2009, 03:44:28 AM »
Ooh no, that's the beauty. The stray bullets are flung so high attempting this will just lead to you getting guardbroken or if nothing else trapped in the block animation long enough for Patchy to escape.
Yet another reason to use the alt.214 kick; when you're down to your last orb of flight, airdash then 214C.

nintendonut888

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2009, 03:55:09 AM »
Very unlikely that it would be because of the score.dat .
Besides, I use the Full Unlock.dat that they conveniently have up at mizuumi.net  :V

...and upon closer "inspection", it would seem that this is a common problem. In other words, I tried to do "Spell Practice" against Patchy with Cirno; guess the results?

Derp. Looks like the patch is the whole problem then. Still, I'd rather deal with this handicap than have to unlock everything. It'll be...a challenge! Yeah, Touhou's good with that.

Yet another reason to use the alt.214 kick; when you're down to your last orb of flight, airdash then 214C.

Okay, I think you'd better enter Meiling's scenario and actually LOOK at the spell card I'm talking about. If you did that you'd see why that doesn't work.

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2009, 03:56:37 AM »
Okay, I think you'd better enter Meiling's scenario and actually LOOK at the spell card I'm talking about. If you did that you'd see why that doesn't work.
I could if I would, but this computer doesn't have UNL, and it's extremely buggy on the virus-infested one I have gathering dust in a corner upstairs.

And I'd look at a Youtube video but those are either all normal/easy runs, or idiots that continuespam through every individual card.

Nevermind, just looked at a video anyway.

Just dash, stop inside the ring for a split second then dash again (but keep going past Patch), then dash back across her again to clear out bullets before attacking.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:59:34 AM by Lifespring Infinity »

nintendonut888

« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2009, 04:01:05 AM »
I was just coming back to link that video to you, when I realized the irony.

* Donut facepalms and goes to watch video and read guy's notes

nintendonut888

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
Argh, I still suck really badly at Patchouli's first spell card. I know how to dodge it, but it still takes forever because I can't damage her. None of my attacks are powered up so they all do a paltry amount to her gauge and even then none of my moves are effective when I do break it. Because of this my gradual screwups add up and I never pass Patchy without 2 deaths.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2009, 02:41:45 AM »
System cards makes normal mode a breeze in UNL.  The only difficult bit that can screw you is Fantasy Seal - Blink.

However, I cannot beat Reimu's first spell in SWR (Exorcism) without taking too many damage, I would lose a life to that card almost all the time, let alone getting the time bonus on it.

Having a large wall of bullets in front of you as a first spell is not fun.

nintendonut888

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:41 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1NDKwu6nL0

Notice how I handle it (skip to 2:25). It's a simple pattern of movement that any character can do, though I suppose how you deal damage will be different according to your character.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2009, 03:28:14 AM »
I guess generally, you can just fly directly (or nearly) above her.  And slam her with a projectile at point blank range or something.

nintendonut888

« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2009, 05:48:02 AM »
After I learned that the spell gauge is vulnerable when the opponent's spell circle is red, things have suddenly become much easier. >_> I can reach Reimu with only death now.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
spell gauge is vulnerable when the opponent's spell circle is red
And you just discovered this.
Goddamnit

nintendonut888

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:32 AM »
Oh...dear. I got to Reimu with two lives, and lost two on her third spell card. I can see this is going to be my next obstacle. The rest of Reimu isn't all that bad. As for Taisui, his third spell card is going to be a big problem. It does a freaking huge amount of damage, and the only time he's vulnerable is when he's just about to charge.

And you just discovered this.
Goddamnit

THIS IS WHAT I MAKE HELP THREADS FOR AND YOU ALL LET ME DOWN. ;_;

nintendonut888

« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »
I repeat: WTF is with Reimu's third spell card? ;_; I just game overed because I couldn't fucking hit her and lost two lives on it. I really wish spell practice worked.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2009, 06:06:21 AM »
Perhaps I missed it, but...

Yuyuko's third card in SWR Story Mode: All Things Reunite in Death.  I can lose half a lifebar, easily, on Normal, with anyone, to this card.  On Hard, it ate over a full lifebar on Reisen.  What the crap.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »
So I'm kinda following in Donut's footsteps here by trying to beat the games on the hardest difficulty in a genre I completely suck at.
Starting with IaMP. I decided to use Patchy, because I can rely on projectiles and don't have to do much in terms of melee because the AI wrecks me up close. Her Royal Flare spell is also pretty nice.

Stage 1 to 3 I can do reliably.
Stage 4
Youmu is probably the most vicious character in the game Jesus. She's constantly in my face and has the hardest non-spell fights IMO.
First Card [ Double Pain ]
This card DESTROYS me, I can barely handle one Youmu, I can't handle three at the same  time! X_X
I just get gangraped in the corner and can barely even attack, I always lose at least one life here.

Stage 5
Second Card [ Falling Equinox of Hakugyokurou ]
This is Yuyuko's only threathing card. There's almost no room to do anything and those ghost's keep hitting me while off-screen.
lol Yuyuko's final spell

Stage 6
Outer Force [ Infinite Superspeed Flying Object ]
I swear to god this thing makes undodgable shit sometimes. It can also knock you into an infinite loop that's impossible to break out of. It doesn't help that the lasers do an insane amount of damage either.
My current strategy is to just nuke the hell out of it as fast as possible with Royal Flare.

Final stage
All of Suika's first attacks are pretty trivial.
Third Card [ Counter Bean-Throwing Black Hole ]
And here's where the shitstorm begins. This is me trying desperately to get away from the black hole while Suika just punches me right back in.
Ignis Fatuus [ Super-High Density Fire Disaster ]
Plan of attack:
Declare Royal Flare and immediately use it. If the game doesn't register my input (which it does half the time) I'm completely dead.
[ Pandemonium ]
This is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen in my entire life. What the fucking hell.
I CAN'T DODGE the ginormous bullet, if I manage to graze through it then some other bullet will hit me right after it at which point I will just continue to get all the way to oblivion.
I CAN'T ATTACK, there's  no openings and when I manage to get a shot off, it just immediately converts into point items because I got hit again.
Yes, I can block in the corner but seeing as that completely drains my spiritbar that won't do me much good now will it?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:51:03 PM by Jaimers »

nintendonut888

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
IMO Patchy's counterattack for anything you can't handle should be ROYARU...FUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Don't ask me about Double/Triple Pain, I always lost a life to Youmu anyway.

Yuyuko's second is a pain. Only trick I know is to constantly be grazing and wait for an opening.

Since I used Yukari I fought Yuyuko as my stage 6 boss so :P (Yuyuko's extra spell card for Yukari is quite nasty thank you very much).

I beat Reverse Blackhole and Supermassive Conflageration by counterhitting Suika. At least for the first wave of Conflageration you should start as far away from Suika as possible to give you a bit of time to wail on her before the fireballs bounce over to you.

I suppose my strategy for Pandemonium isn't that effective for Patchy since she relies on projectiles so much. :x From the third phase on Yukari (who has a huge hitbox) cannot possibly hit Suika with any projectiles so I relied on guarding until an opening appeared and hit Suika with an aerial attack, bouncing back to the corner and repeating the process.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23:58 PM »
Royal Flare versus Pandemonium, who'll win?

MY EYES! D:

I beat a fighter on goddamn lunatic, I would never have thought I could pull this of.
The gods of input commands were in my favor in this run, as I only managed to screw up the spellcard command a few times. Lost 3 lives to Youmu, (goddamn Double Pain), Yukari and Suika respectively.
I also think that that was my best Suika run so far.   
Thanks for some of the advice 'nut.

Another lunatic down! Only three more to go!  ;D

Attached is my replay, feel free to laugh at how horrible I am at this game.  :V
(Why is there no category for IaMP story mode on Gensokyo.org?)

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
Royal Flare versus Pandemonium, who'll win?

Bricks were SHAT.

By the way, there is something that bothers me about fighter story modes, and as AVGN would say:

"How many times can you get back up?  It's embarrassing..."

Can someone help me with Utsuho's Jupiter card on Hard and above?  I always get stuck there.

nintendonut888

« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Gensokyo fighting is much more intense than boxing m'boy. There you continue to fight until you cannot fight anymore!