Author Topic: SWR and IaMP - Story Mode Spellcards  (Read 42679 times)

Re: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody Lunatic story mode spell cards
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »
That...doesn't sound like that card at all.
That's because I suck at explaining things~

First, unless you're mistaken in thinking I'm using Yukari, I have no idea what "border escape" means.
Serela already touched on this, so I have nothing more to say.

Second, you can't "misdirect" the lasers in the second phase, and you didn't answer the most crucial question of how I am supposed to deal with the slow moving lasers Tenshi shoots out. >_>
Either these are the same thing and you aren't realizing they're aimed, or you lost me completely.  The massive red lasers Tenshi shoots are all aimed, the tiny thin ones (which I referred to as bullets for differentiation purposes) should be completely self-explanatory.

Re: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody Lunatic story mode spell cards
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2009, 01:19:52 AM »
Yes, we are.
Something isn't right... If you look at my Reisen video you'll see that even when Reisen bounces from being hit the lasers follow her when she moves up, yet for some reason Remilia can fly over them to fire her bats and they won't follow her...

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: SWR and IaMP - Story Mode Spellcards
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2009, 01:48:57 AM »
Actually, it IS the bullet lasers I'm talking about. >:D If they're so self-explanatory, explain how.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2009, 03:44:33 AM »
Actually, it IS the bullet lasers I'm talking about. >:D If they're so self-explanatory, explain how.
They come in waves.

You graze through each wave when it comes, and hit Tenshi before the next one.

nintendonut888

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2009, 03:53:08 AM »

>:(

Clearly that is not the case. I can graze as much as I want, it is inevitable that I either get hit or get caught in a block, and either way by the time she's open for attack she's already fired another wave.

Also I think everything may change if someone can tell me a strategy (that works) for Reimu's second spell card. I've taken to using one of my four spell cards on it so I can keep that extra life, but now that I think about it if I can preserve that spell card until SWRoaM I can knock a whole wave off of it.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2009, 03:55:40 AM »

>:(

Clearly that is not the case. I can graze as much as I want, it is inevitable that I either get hit or get caught in a block, and either way by the time she's open for attack she's already fired another wave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzkP37F26mA

4:40

Seriously, don't get caught and this card's a joke.

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2009, 03:59:05 AM »
Also I think everything may change if someone can tell me a strategy (that works) for Reimu's second spell card. I've taken to using one of my four spell cards on it so I can keep that extra life, but now that I think about it if I can preserve that spell card until SWRoaM I can knock a whole wave off of it.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I personally prefer to stay in close proximity to Reimu since the yinyang orbs bounce upward before down, giving you time to figure out where a gap is going to be and get there before they come back down.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2009, 04:17:05 AM »
ITT 'nut fails to notice people posting one-liners.

Hope you haven't seen this yet.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
I made it to Tenshi with 2 lives remaining...

Only...it doesn't make a bit of difference guys! The yin-yang balls fucking last spell card completely rapes me. I mean what the fuck I can accept my button inputs being fumbly, but that DOESN'T explain why Youmu sometimes does a move that could not have possibly been done from the buttons that I pressed (example: Youmu doing her 236 when I never press 6). That fucking cost me a whole life on her third spell card! How the hell can yo-

Hope you haven't seen this yet.

*sigh* Let's see if this bozo can show me what to do.

EDIT: PFFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHA. That's absolutely no fucking help at all. This guy clearly has super reflexes and can put button inputs in with perfect timing. I obviously cannot do that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:04:22 AM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2009, 05:05:36 AM »
EDIT: PFFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHA. That's absolutely no fucking help at all. This guy clearly has super reflexes and can put button inputs in with perfect timing. I obviously cannot do that.
You say that like he does something other than flying around and spamming B bullets. :V

nintendonut888

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2009, 05:38:27 AM »
FLYING AROUND.

FUCKING SHIT.

I tried copying this jerk's movements. Let me sum it up: If I can't even put in button inputs correctly, what makes you think the game will let me change directions in the air as smoothly as this guy? Basically, this is telling me how a skilled player would beat it. I'm asking how I can beat it.

But whatever, I've literally been at it for over three and a half hours, time to call it a night.

But I must ask: What arbitrary element is deciding my spell card damage?! Sometimes it does the almost complete spell card health bar like it should, but others it does only about half, leaving me helpless. What the fuck is determining this? T_T

EDIT: Ah, nothing like feeling really frustrated after drilling lunatic. It's just like old times~! The only problem is that I literally wasted my whole evening doing this and I have homework to do. :<

Just a disclaimer that despite everything, I really am enjoying myself and appreciate your efforts to help. Just keep in mind that I need more practical help since I can't move as well as someone like in that video. This is why I don't feel qualified to give tips to a normal-mode player in the shooters even though I'm lunatic level.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:07:08 AM by nintendonut888 »

nintendonut888

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
WAH.

WAH.

I'm speechless. Really, I am. Now calmed down, I decided to try some experimenting on Scarlet Weather Rhapsody of all Mankind. I'm not sure how I discovered it, but I did nonetheless:

22C pierces the laser bullets

WTF. I can clear this attack without dying now (once, but still).  This makes everything much easier. EXCEPT, I finally have to come to terms with my biggest hatred of this game and IaMP as well: The fact that the PoS doesn't like to register my button inputs. If I could consistently fire 22C this would be a snap, but even though I press down twice in quick succession, followed by C, half the time (and always when it counts), Youmu does her useless 5C move instead. Is there some magic word I'm missing to make this 100%?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2009, 07:52:10 AM »
Is there some magic word I'm missing to make this 100%?
2 words:
WORK GODDAMMIT

Alternatively, most people use a Game Pad for a reason. I don't think that's an option for you though  :V

The other "magic" method is to just practice inputting the command faster.

FLYING AROUND.

FUCKING SHIT.

I tried copying this jerk's movements. Let me sum it up: If I can't even put in button inputs correctly, what makes you think the game will let me change directions in the air as smoothly as this guy? Basically, this is telling me how a skilled player would beat it. I'm asking how I can beat it.
...there's a limit to the number of times you can change directions in the air. I recommend high jumping, then flying horizontally down and repeating the motions to dodge the orbs. You might have to fly up a bit more as well. Alternatively, a square (Youmu's backdash is horrible for square grazing so that won't work too well) Could go with a (mini-)triangle, but it's risky and untested (well, at this point; and I can't be bothered checking). And never forget; there's luck involved with how the orbs are released.

This is why I don't feel qualified to give tips to a normal-mode player in the shooters even though I'm lunatic level.
Is that so~
<>

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »
I bet that Donut just think he's actually pressing the buttons quickly.

nintendonut888

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »
Explain why something that is distinctly inputted as a 214 is interpreted as a 236. EXPLAIN IT.

Also you know one thing I'm getting really damn sick of? The random deck. Why the HELL can't you set it to be in a specific order? One run was ruined entirely because my alt 214 skill cards didn't appear until stage 4. This run was going pretty good except that my last spell card, which could have potentially saved me two lives against Iku's last spell card, appeared last and was therefore useless.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
Explain why something that is distinctly inputted as a 214 is interpreted as a 236. EXPLAIN IT.
Protip: The motions are relative to where are you looking. I think you might know this, but maaaaybeeeee~

nintendonut888

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »

Welp, that's that. Turns out I didn't even need the last spell card (which was made unusable AGAIN >.>). Medium's Bind gave me the decisive edge against Scarlet Weather Rhapsody of all Mankind, allowing me to just barely pull this off. Just for you guys, here's the replay:

http://rapidshare.com/files/302231626/1104_0110_youmu_story.rep.html

I have little doubt I will come whining for help on UNL when the time comes, so until then~
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:48:54 AM by nintendonut888 »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »
As much as I want to watch the replay to laugh, the problem is that I'm using the university proxy. The host you uploaded to only allows 1 download per IP. With a shared network like mine, it essentially means I can't download it.

Why didn't you just attach it to your post? It's within the limit.
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2009, 02:44:07 PM »
Because I'm an idiot.

Here you go.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
Cheers~

And after this, goodnight, since it's almost 2 a.m.

...aren't you sleep deprived?  :V
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »
I only went to bed at 2:30 in the morning. Nothing I can't handle.  ::)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
I seriously don't get how you people go by without having at least 8 hours worth of sleep daily. Unless you're "banking" it or something.

And I can pick a few million things wrong with your playstyle / habits at the moment, but I won't because for some reason, it works against the AI.

Story Mode plays too differently.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:00:21 PM by Baity »
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
My playstyle IS "what works against the AI." :P Someone on the Livestream channel (maybe Luiz?) once told me that if I was thinking story mode required me to learn combos and use varied gameplay I was doing it wrong. Whoever he was, he was right.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »
Well, I won't argue against it. However...
learn combos and use varied gameplay
Donut
* Baity has a thought

And now, sleep.
<>

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »
I have little doubt I will come whining for help on UNL when the time comes, so until then~
Fill your deck with perma-buff system cards and skillcards instead of spellcards. This is a GIANT help in Story Mode since they last through the entire game, 4 Utsuho/Alice/Patchy system cards make your character god.

Also have fun picking which character to use considering they each have a different final boss
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

nintendonut888

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »
I ran through UNL on easy mode once when the game first came out, and I found problems with all 3 story modes:

Sanae: The fact that it's...Sanae. :| Maybe I just was doing something wrong, but her moveset seemed to be the most counterproductive one I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Cirno: Cirno is great. She is the first character I've ever actually felt attracted to by her moveset. Nice and spammy, with great story mode attacks~ The problem is that using her is apparently the easy way out for lunatic. :(

Meiling: This would be my preferred route, since it would pit me against TEH GIANT CATFISH OF DOOM, and (pathetically) the final opponent left for me to crush in the entire series. The problem is that aside from Meiling's moveset not really clicking with me, the last spell card allegedly causing an instant game over if you don't kill it in 60 seconds is a real turn off. I think it's rather lame that it's considered a 1cc even if you fail Suwako or Alice's last spell cards, but this is even worse.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2009, 12:02:55 AM »
Sanae is pretty weird to use. She can be nice in Vs. play with her weird moves, but I find her crappy for Story mode.

Cirno is basically the opposite for me; almost impossible to use well in Vs. play, but awesome for story mode. And yeah, it probably is the easier lunatic; Alice isn't very hard on any difficulty, when doing her even vaugely correctly. But still, ALICE *moegasm* And her final spellcard is awesome, even though its so easy.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Catfish's timeout spellcard doesn't give you a game-over if you fail; I think I've failed it before and I still won. The one where it goes "underwater" can be pretty difficult.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:06:06 AM by NeoSerela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2009, 12:40:20 AM »
I've seen the video, and tried to 1cc with Youmu, without cards. So far, I've lost my first life on Yukari's final spellcard (and the second one on it as well, due to not having dealt enough damage on it right at the start -- Yukari keeps moving around, avoiding my airborne bullets, and I haven't memorized the way to do this spellcard until it was too late). The B projectiles aren't as damaging as the 6C ones, but their hitstun can be helpful at times.
Also, Youmu's backdash has invincibility frames (I think it's something from IaMP), with it you can avoid Komachi's second-to-last spellcard's damaging attack even within the slowdown field.
Against Yukari's second-to-last spellcard edit: third-to-last, it's easy-peasy (this is a quote from Marion, from Gunbird, that I liked :D), when you come prepared for it. Stay right below her, wait until she has fired an attack (there are 7 per wave), hj8 (you'll be inside the circle), dash downwards in order to go down faster, then repeat until she has fired her last attack. Then you do j2A instead of j2D.
Donut, you shouldn't worry about the non-spellcard sections in this video. They're easier than the spellcards.
And finally, even though it's possible to clear the Story Mode without using cards, I still find them irritating, because there will be many cases where I simply won't be able to capture them (even though there's no score in this game), because the game randomly gives out attack opportunities (again, see my Suika replay against Iku's last pattern for an example). Finally, in this run (which I was too frustrated to bother saving a replay from it), I was able to capture Reimu's final spellcard, by cornering myself, shooting the orbs to weaken them (with 6B), grazing the orbs that came towards me (with hj8 -> j2D; I jump at least higher than a normal jump's height, before using j2D, because the orbs are dense enough to hit me after I've grazed them and landed, so I make them bounce upwards and graze downwards) and occasionally using 5B when there are few orbs between both characters, so that Reimu falls on these projectiles after firing the orbs, and before teleporting again.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:50:21 AM by shadowbringer »
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:46 AM »
one more thing.. in this video, Youmu fires 8 bullets per slash.. it seems to me that the video isn't from an updated version of SWR :(
(I want to 1cc this Story Mode without using cards so that I can put it aside and stop irritating myself with it)

edit: really, against Yukari's last pattern, Youmu shouldn't have enough spirit to dash upwards twice. Perhaps this doesn't make much of a difference for this spellcard, because there will be enough damage done at the start to balance things out (but with 5 bullets per slash instead of 8, I can't say for sure).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:53:51 AM by shadowbringer »
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.