Author Topic: Overwatch Thread: UPRISING PvE, HotS Promotional Event 2.0, and New D.VA Skin!  (Read 103169 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Overwatch Thread: Symmetra Rework and Winter Wonderland Event LIVE!
« Reply #330 on: December 18, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Shit. Terry Crews. Overwatch.

The world can be full of surprises.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #331 on: December 18, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »
Shit. Terry Crews. Overwatch.

The world can be full of surprises.
Wait, is it confirmed then? He said he wanted to do it but I didn't see confirmation.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #332 on: December 21, 2016, 11:50:36 AM »
New comic is live

Spoiler:
Tracer confirmed as canonically gay.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:53:27 AM by Aya Reiko »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
Spoiler:
Reinhardt reading stories for the kids and Torbjorn asking whether the lady has been naughty?

Lovely comic. Thanks for sharing.

Wait, is it confirmed then? He said he wanted to do it but I didn't see confirmation.
Oh sorry. No, nothing known yet. It was just my response as in: "Let it be true"

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #334 on: December 23, 2016, 09:24:19 PM »
Spoiler:
Reinhardt reading stories for the kids and Torbjorn asking whether the lady has been naughty?

What's better is that
Spoiler:
all of those kids are confirmed by Blizzard to be Torb's.
Spoiler:
So many dirty jokes can be made using his quotes.

Other confirmations:
- Pharah
Spoiler:
is not on a date. Combining the older appearance of the male, the television in the background, and 2 of her legendary skins, many have concluded that it's her father who is descended from an aboriginal tribe of Canada. Also it's confirmed that she is NOT a Boston Bruins fan, which is much more important.
  :smug:

- The comic takes place in the "present" in the Overwatch timeline, meaning after all of the other media lore we've gotten (animated shorts, comics, etc).

I'm sure I've forgotten others.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #335 on: December 25, 2016, 02:38:52 AM »
Loot boxes has not been good to me.
I mean, I've been getting legendaries, but not Christmas ones. The only Christmas one I've gotten so far is Reaper's Epic.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #336 on: December 27, 2016, 01:27:56 AM »
Finally got around to picking up Overwatch, got it all installed and patched and shit. Messing around with a few characters and kind of like the look of Winston. Is he good for beginners?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #337 on: December 27, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
Winston is nice if you're the kind of guy who likes to jump into the middle of the enemy formation, do some chaos, then get the hell out of dodge before they obliterate you. His bubble shield is useful both in the middle of a scrum and when you're breaking in, his tesla cannon is auto-lock in a relatively small cone ahead of him, which makes him good versus Symmetra (the cannon can auto-hit her turrets and end them quick) and Genji (auto-lock can keep him tracked as long as you can point at him while he's in range), though bad against enemies that like to run in close for the kill, like Reaper (his job is busting tanks) and D.Va (who can outdamage him at point-blank and has more health). He's not someone you want to bring along if you can't coordinate your pushes with your team, though, since he works best as a distraction (and squishy-killer) while the enemy is dealing with the rest of your team.

You're going to want to work on your engagement and disengagement strategies - typically you'll want to leap in, pop your shield, nail the back line, and get out of there as soon as your leap recovers.

Honestly, I wouldn't focus so much on "is he good for beginners" and more on "is how he plays how I like to play?". Winston is a great tank pick, but I can't do the whole "get out of there" thing so I don't use him unless he's given to me for Mystery Heroes.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #338 on: December 27, 2016, 07:14:44 AM »
Discover all characters and their abilities first, regardless whether you like them or not, or could play them or not. Then do some role-based playing (i.e.: dps, def, tank, sup).

Then decide what you want to "main".

Regarding Winston, he isn't beginner friendly.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #339 on: December 27, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
Finally got around to picking up Overwatch, got it all installed and patched and shit. Messing around with a few characters and kind of like the look of Winston. Is he good for beginners?
Dad 76 is prolly the best for newbies. He's basically your generic FPS soldier but cartoon'y.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #340 on: December 27, 2016, 04:02:13 PM »
I don't play FPS though, so "FPS Guy" might be tricky for me.

Still, I'll try everybody out and see who I click with.

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #341 on: December 27, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »

Mystery heroes sure is fun. Pushing into that with double Mercy, double Genji, and double Sombra was very fun.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #342 on: December 28, 2016, 03:52:37 AM »
I'm just annoyed that the game tends to roll you from a more limited pool than "all the heroes". There's been tons of times I keep getting the same characters all game, a few times where dying doesn't even change my character (but it still kills the ult charge).

Had my first placement match yesterday, and it was a complete rout on Route 66. Totally not helped by someone on the opposing team going Bastion of all things on attack. Killgate from Symmetra on the main exit could have been a good strategy when they were on defense, but literally everyone filed out one of the other two exits, so it was basically useless.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #343 on: December 28, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
Messed around with another batch of characters last night, and I really like Pharah. Her design, mobility options, and crowd control really appeal to me.

NaCl

• Salty bitch
  • I'm very salty. Sometimes.
« Reply #344 on: December 29, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
^ Yeah, Pharah is really underrated in competitive too. A good Pharah can be a terrible threat to supports and Reinhardts.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2017, 03:24:49 AM »
Plz patch game Blizzard with a "Take away Mercy's gun" option for teammates. Tired of that DPS Mercy showing me up wasting everyone's time.

Seriously, I just had a game (as Pharah) where I had a Mercy buddy that let me go absolutely ham with harassing the enemy team and got me a 17-kill streak while winning us the objective in a massive landslide. Next game she pulled out her tiny shitty gun and never healed anyone again for the entire rest of the game, and we got absolutely dickstomped for the next two rounds. By the end one teammate had switched to Lucio and one had switched to Ana trying to pick up the slack, but we had no chance. That was so fucking frustrating I just put down my controller for the day. Ugh.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
Mercy's gun has its place. Depending on the situation, breaking it out can deal more DPS than giving the damage boost to a partner, and like Zero Suit D.Va, is perfectly accurate and has no falloff at all ranges. Personally, if I have to break out the Mercy, I'm constantly swapping out between heals and gun as the situation demands from where I'm at and where my team's at.

But yeah, Mercy needs to remember that she's a support character first and foremost, and break out the gun only when it would be more use than healing or boosting. At the very least, swap to the healstick and go find someone to GA to when she runs out of ammo, since it reloads itself just fine without her attention.

In other news, I'm basically burned out on Overwatch right now. Work is too stressful for me to add to the stress with snowball fights, mystery, or comp.

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #347 on: January 02, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »
Oh yeah, there's definitely, DEFINITELY utility to it. But if it's why someone is running Mercy for some reason then they should probably pick another character. *Any* other character.

I've found myself wishing Pharah had one of  those a few times, and all of those times involved having to chase an armorless D.Va into a tight indoor area where my rockets were doing more harm to me than to her.

I died earlier when I dropped down onto a rooftop while spamming rockets without realizing that there was a low wall on the edge of the roof below me. One of the rockets hit the wall and killed me, since I was at low health already. Oops... The kill cam for it was tragic. Having a sidearm wouldn't have helped there since there would have been no reason for me to be using it with the information I had, but there are definitely times when using rockets is hazardous.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »
You know, funny that you two mention it. I run DPS Mercy in QP occasionally. Because of the fun factor now and then.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »
What's QP?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »
Quick Play.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #351 on: January 02, 2017, 07:53:01 PM »
Maybe it was YOU then! Fuckin heal me, Helepolis! :colbert:

(I haven't unlocked competitive yet.)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #352 on: January 02, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »
But that was long ago. The same reason Solciel mentions: I am also bit burned out with Overass where I decided to cycle Torbjorn, Symmetra or Junkrat.

Edit: Oh yea and pretty much quit Ranked and such or any form of srsbss. Definitely shouldn't ask me any tips / tricks on how to get good. (Well, general tip still applies for all FPS games, just play a lot)

Edit2: Junkrat gives me most joy in this game, mainly because he is an awesome character with his voice and such.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:36:05 PM by Helepolis »

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #353 on: January 02, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »
He's truly a roller-coaster of emotions to play, that's for sure.

I love playing Junkrat if the enemy team/my team comp allow for it. It can be a little tough sometimes actually being effective but I feel very few heroes have the same level of satisfaction when you really start rolling the enemy team.

1CC List (all shmups)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #354 on: January 02, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »
Every time I've played Junkrat he seemed like a worse Pharah to me, although I do like his super a lot more (not that Pharah's is bad at all, it's obviously great, but it's a bit situational) and his bomb hop is super fun to play with. I'm sure I just don't know how best to take advantage of his traps though, so I'm definitely not giving him enough credit.

The main problem I'm still persistently having is not knowing map layouts, and I imagine that's a bit part of playing Junkrat well. What's the best way to get the lay of the land on each map? Is there a map viewer mode I'm just failing to find?

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2017, 01:31:24 AM »
Probably the best way to figure out the maps, aside from just playing more, is to just load a 1v0 custom game with "skirmish" option on. That'll give you around 30:00 which is plenty of time to explore every nook and cranny. As a terrible player I can attest that knowing where health packs are is crucial for everybody to know, because supports will not be able to keep everyone alive by themselves and as support it helps keep you alive better than relying on regeneration.. The added benefit to exploring is you can find all the different paths around the level so you can find good flanking and escape routes when needed.

Also watch streams and VODs of popular streamers like Seagull; they tend to do a great job of grabbing packs and staying alive.

Junkrat is someone you play when you need a lot of splash damage and/or need to shoot somebody from around a corner (like a Bastion aiming down a choke). His main issues is that he not exactly the best at securing kills which means free ult charge for supports if his teammates don't finish enemies off. Also Zaryas love facing him because all that random damage is free charge for her weapon. Definitely one of the more situational picks if you're being serious, but one of the most fun for goofing off.

1CC List (all shmups)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #356 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »
Ooh, yeah, the custom match thing sounds perfect.

Had yet another situation earlier where I ended up chasing an unarmored D.Va around indoors with Pharah, this time on the Hollywood map. She had a Mercy with her for some reason and being totally lost as to where to go indoors was worrying. I got lucky and happened to corner them in a situation where I finished them off with a couple of rockets without accidentally blowing myself up, but that was probably not going to happen often if I played that scenario out many times.

Pharah's matchup with D.Va is... Interesting. I can harass her with ease and she can't easily hit back, but I don't really have great options for actually finishing her off and have definitely been killed by being blitzed by her thrusters unexpectedly a few times. Plus her fucking ultimate... It's probably just the low level of play I'm at right now, but her ultimate seems completely degenerate to me. I'd say about 80% of Play Of The Games in matches involving D.Va are just cheap ultimate kills, and I swear it doesn't give enough time to react. I'll rocket jump away the second I hear the audio cue and STILL die almost every time, and god help me if I'm playing, say, Lucio. I imagine people get better at dealing with that as they get more experienced, but it sure feels broken right now.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2017, 02:36:44 AM »
The key to dodging Self-Destruct is finding cover. Admittedly, three seconds is not a lot of time to find it, and if you're, say, Zenyatta out in the open, there's no chance you're getting out. Get behind a shielding Reinhardt, in a Winston Bubble Shield, hell, find a pole and duck behind it.

If you're Lucio, swap to speed, Amp it Up, and turn and burn.

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #358 on: January 03, 2017, 02:40:41 AM »
Hmm. For some reason I was thinking it wasn't line-of-sight based, just distance. Yeah, that's probably a lot of it. I always just tried to put as much ground between myself and her as possible, which is the exact opposite of ducking. Fair enough.

Edit:
I've been messing around with the maps in custom games, but I just can't remember all of them. They're too big and there are too many. By the time I get to the other end I've already forgotten what was at the start. Hmm...

Meanwhile, I've been playing Lucio a lot, but not really by choice. It's just that inevitably everyone else instantly locks in as an offensive character the second they can and I feel like I have to so we have something resembling team composition. I like him, he's fun to play, and he's cute as hell, but man, getting kind of tired of having my team make my character choice for me and then getting zero votes at the end of the game for five games straight even though we won all five and I placed in all five of them...

So I had a situation earlier where we were defending, I was Lucio, and we had a Mccree run past the enemy team, getting himself shot up in the process, and proceed to sit in a building a block away with the enemy between the rest of the team (including me) and him. He just sat  there for like two solid minutes spamming "heal please, heal please, heal please" over and over again. I just let him fucking sit there because I would have had to abandon the rest of the team AND lead the enemy to his position to heal him. Am I good? Or should I have known some obvious backdoor route to get there and help him? Should I have left the rest of the team healer-less to do that? I think he was just being a dumbass, but I'm not really like... An FPS player at all, so I don't know if that was some kind of faux pas.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there was one game where an enemy D.Va used her fucking ultimate at a crucial moment with no audio cue. And then in the replay, when you can bet I was paying close attention, still no audio cue. What the fuck? How does that work? Because if there's some kind of way of cheating around the incredibly brief warning period then I have no compunction about calling that move broken.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:29:21 PM by Helepolis »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #359 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:26 AM »
Most people do not know how to correctly play the game. If you want to learn, look at Twitch streams, tournaments, guides, forums -- not your teammates.

If they're in the same game as you, the server thought you were roughly equivalent. You can't learn how to play better from someone roughly equivalent to a new player.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:33:03 AM by O4rfish »
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.