Author Topic: Most painful moments whilst playing any touhou game  (Read 11405 times)

Midnight_Sparky

• Hello there frand
Most painful moments whilst playing any touhou game
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »
it happened when i was playing PCB on Easy (yeah im not too skilled yet QuQ) i managed to get all the way up to yuyuko's last spellcards with only one life and no continues left and i found the last spell card kinda easy but the painful but was when the timer reached 0 and everything slowed down as the boss was going to explode my sigh of relief meant that i wasn't fully paying attention so i accidently bumped into one of her butterflies and died Q~Q i thought i was in the clear tas the boss was defeated after all the end of stage bonus even displayed but instead of it coming up with the ending it came up with the game over screen i looked at the game completed section and i think it said something around the 99.9% mark.... that moment i kinda died a little inside it was the closest time i have ever came to beating a touhou game ever... i still to this day haven't completed a touhou game on easy.

if you have a story like this please post it because i would love to know and also know that im not the only one who has had this feeling.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
Re: Most painful moments whilst playing any touhou game
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
While I'm not too serious Touhou player, I do tend to take some things seriously, such as maybe wanting a chunk of graze or to avoid losing bombs through deaths. It pains me when it doesn't always go my way, although it can be fun and interesting having a go.
It'll usually be more painful making a mistake in the endgame. No specific story here, but for me, nothing beats UFO, where Byakuren is tough and losing those rainbow/blue UFO summons on the main stages can ruin all the previous effort from earlier stages.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:07:31 PM »
One time, a couple years ago, I was going for a Lunatic 1cc on Subterranean Animism, and I had just defeated Utsuho, but before the game could save my score and replay, someone else nearby turned off a light switch that just happened to be connected to the computer's power supply at the time (which we weren't aware of at first), causing the computer to turn off. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! This happened at around 11 PM on that night, and I then stayed up ridiculously late, repeatedly trying to 1cc Lunatic again, and I finally managed to at about 5 AM (the sun was actually rising at that point). Yeah, that was a lot of lost sleep, but I just didn't want to stop until I had a rightfully-earned Lunatic 1cc saved.

BTW, here's the replay of that second Lunatic 1cc. Of course, the first one was lost to the aether when that light switch was flipped (this computer's power is no longer linked to any light switches at all now, of course). I do remember that my score at the end of the first one was 1.077-something billion, which I improved on a little bit with my second one.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »
Trying to 1cc Kaiedzuka with any character, not lose a single life in any stage, enter Shikieiki, lose all lives (bonus points if she was one hit away from getting shot down on your last life).

Dunno if it counts but i don't accept losing even one life (or bomb) at the first 3 stages of any game on Normal (I only play on Normal).

...For stuff like this happening i tend to hesitate to even try again anything :v Although it all depends on my current amount concentration and patience...

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 01:28:21 AM »
Slamming my hand against my keyboard in frustration, breaking said keyboard and cutting my hand on bits of plastic. This has happened several times.

draganuv15

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:36 AM »
Let me tell y'all a story about my first few attempts at trying to beat Ten Desiers on Normal.

So, I was facing Miko, I had no lives left and it was her second-last attack. Managed to get through it without dying (though I was excessively bombing) and managed to get an extra life. Last card, wasn't feeling so hot and it was evident seeing as the game decided deathbombing wasn't a thing anymore. I managed to get to the second phase of the attack and had Miko down to the last slivers of her health.

Ran into the wall of bullets trying to dodge ones that were homing in on me. I have since beaten this game but that really made me not want to play TD ever again.

superkawaii☆pandora-chan♥

• Aya's one true husbando
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:54:23 AM »
Whenever I bomb or die (not counting intentional death or bomb)

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:09:56 AM »
Let's see... When I tried to 1cc Subterranean Animism on Normal after days trying to achieve it and I died for a lost bullet in Utsuho's last spell card, just when it was missing like 1% from her HP. This happened more than once, so, yep.

It was the last game I wanted to 1cc, and it took me too long to achieve it, but I did it not so long after those incidents. :')

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 04:12:39 AM »
Losing an SA Lunatic 1-life clear on Hell's Tokamak. I've been giving that attack more respect than it probably deserves ever since.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Midnight_Sparky

• Hello there frand
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »
Trying to 1cc Kaiedzuka with any character, not lose a single life in any stage, enter Shikieiki, lose all lives (bonus points if she was one hit away from getting shot down on your last life).

Dunno if it counts but i don't accept losing even one life (or bomb) at the first 3 stages of any game on Normal (I only play on Normal).

...For stuff like this happening i tend to hesitate to even try again anything :v Although it all depends on my current amount concentration and patience...

Oh trust me i may play easy mode but even i will not bomb on the first 3 stages... actually im the type that rarely bombs at all cause i keep forgetting too

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
Oh trust me i may play easy mode but even i will not bomb on the first 3 stages... actually im the type that rarely bombs at all cause i keep forgetting too
I used to do that too, but it's really pointless and you should keep going even if you die during the first 3 stages! If you want to 1cc the games, learning when do bomb is one of the most essential things (how do you manage to run out of continues after no-miss no-bombing up to stage 3? At that point you can basically bomb everything and make mistakes and still 1cc)

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »
Two words. Flandre Scarlet.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
Whenever I encounter Death Fairy.

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
A lot of my runs ended on the last boss. Best example of this is UFO and SA (pain of my existence. The number of runs lost on "Hell's Artificial Sun" is uncountable). And TD. Spirits suck.
Also in Len'en Project's second game (Earthen Miraculous Sword) I had a great run and on stage 6 I suddenly began to play like an ass and loose 4 lives stupidly (two of them before midboss even came). Funnily enough, I did beat the game after that.

And most importantly: Yumemi. Okazaki. As someone in the comments of her theme said: "In Touhou you face 500 years old vampire, ghost princess who can manipulate death, immortal lunar princess, judge of hell and goddess... And yet the hardest boss of them all is 18 year old human."
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

I blame my years of playing Gradius and Salamander, since it features no bombs

I used to do that too, but it's really pointless and you should keep going even if you die during the first 3 stages! If you want to 1cc the games, learning when do bomb is one of the most essential things (how do you manage to run out of continues after no-miss no-bombing up to stage 3? At that point you can basically bomb everything and make mistakes and still 1cc)

I know, it's just that i'm too... i think the word's "elitist" but i'm not sure. It's probably better to say that i'm conservationist regarding resources regardless of everything :v
I've 1cc'ed every conventional shoot 'em up Touhou from 6 to 13 on Normal already anyway... but still :V

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »
9.5 and 12.5 - dying with one photo left on certain cards. (e.g. ceiling, byakurain, cards with 10 photos, ceiling, ceiling, and oh did I say ceiling lol)
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
9.5 and 12.5 - dying with one photo left on certain cards. (e.g. ceiling, byakurain, cards with 10 photos, ceiling, ceiling, and oh did I say ceiling lol)
this

screw you, Komachi and your freakin' 9-7

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »

I know, it's just that i'm too... i think the word's "elitist" but i'm not sure. It's probably better to say that i'm conservationist regarding resources regardless of everything :v

Actually that's the opposite of being elitist. Everybody has that feel of wanting to conserve their resources, not learning to get over it is the easy way ;) Sometimes you just gotta force yourself to spend them

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
this

screw you, Komachi and your freakin' 9-7

Komachi? For 9-7? Wait wut  ??? ??? ???

And I was actually talking about 9-6 from Shoot the Bullet - 2600+ photos for clear, go figure  :colonveeplusalpha:

Oh, and this also reminds me of some Last Words - Unseasonable (moar liek UNREASONABLE lolol >A>)  Butterfly Storm, Fantasy Heaven and Total Purification come to mind, as well as Imperishable Shooting, Rainbow Danmaku Lunatic, etc.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:25:41 PM by Pakken11 »
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »
This happened around late 2013. I was trying to 1CC Mountain of Faith Normal with Reimu A, and I got to Kanako without continuing for the first time ever. My left keyboard key chose that moment to get stuck, and I still remember Reimu lazily drifting to the left of the screen during the pre-match dialogue. "Fine!" I yelled. "I'll beat Kanako no horizontal!" I think I lasted about five seconds, lol.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:01:50 PM by hungrybookworm »

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 05:10:06 AM »
Komachi? For 9-7? Wait wut  ??? ??? ???

And I was actually talking about 9-6 from Shoot the Bullet - 2600+ photos for clear, go figure  :colonveeplusalpha:

Oh, and this also reminds me of some Last Words - Unseasonable (moar liek UNREASONABLE lolol >A>)  Butterfly Storm, Fantasy Heaven and Total Purification come to mind, as well as Imperishable Shooting, Rainbow Danmaku Lunatic, etc.
Whoops, small mistake! I was talking about 10-7. Sorry about that!
That scene gave me problems. And I captured it right after writing that post  :getdown:
I have only 195 for ceiling. I haven't play it that much.

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »
Using 3 continues on Shinmyoumaru and still lost on the final spell...
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
This happened around late 2013. I was trying to 1CC Mountain of Faith Normal with Reimu A, and I got to Kanako without continuing for the first time ever. My left keyboard key chose that moment to get stuck, and I still remember Reimu lazily drifting to the left of the screen during the pre-match dialogue. "Fine!" I yelled. "I'll beat Kanako no horizontal!" I think I lasted about five seconds, lol.
You can fix that problem by pressing the direction that is stuck on the numbpad

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 11:58:36 PM »
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this. :V

But yes. The situation in the video has happened a few times :P
I'd say it's particularly bad when you've been trying to do whatever you've been trying for a while. My MoF hard 1cc comes to mind.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »
MoF for me as well, in particular VoWG. That one comes up a lot. For whatever reason it's non-spells that are more likely to get me, and make my head ache when I remember what learning them was like: Marisa in Stage 4 of IN, Orin, Patchy - all their non-spells were very painful.

Most recently, been playing ISC again after about a month hiatus from any shooters. For whatever reason, I persisted to use the Umbrella against School of Fish, despite failing at best, even timing it out, which I don't even remember doing when I first played it. I don't know how many times I kept using it before switching to the Toy Camera and getting it in 1.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
Whoops, small mistake! I was talking about 10-7. Sorry about that!
That scene gave me problems. And I captured it right after writing that post  :getdown:
I have only 195 for ceiling. I haven't play it that much.

10-7? Really? 10-8 and 10-4 gave me way more problems :V

And please don't tell me you cleared Ceiling with just 195 photos - what ZUN ritual did you perform lololol

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »
Most painful moment? Losing my last life at the same time Byakuren loses hers.

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 05:00:14 PM »
10-7? Really? 10-8 and 10-4 gave me way more problems :V

And please don't tell me you cleared Ceiling with just 195 photos - what ZUN ritual did you perform lololol
No no no, I didn't clear ceiling! I'm not THAT good.
I have 136 photos on 10-7 (cleared) so I don't know why I brought it up lol
10-8 and 10-4 are both painful. I have only 86 and 27 photos respectively, but I know it's going to be much, much more painful...
The scene that gives me problem for some reason is 5-5. I just can't clear it (right now I have 268 photos).

EDIT: I've been trying to beat ceiling for two hours.
601 shots taken.
I hate this scene now

Scratch that, I did it :getdown:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:32:38 AM by LunaWillow »

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »
I don't know if I should post this here, because I don't actually feel pained. What just happened was so silly that I can't help laughing.

I'm only in my second month of playing Touhou. Got the Normal 1cc on MoF last month, now trying PCB.

Tonight's session started off as a nightmare -- about 20 consecutive attempts restarted after a silly death near the beginning. When I finally made it to Chen, I died to her Pentagram Flight (I hate that spell) and was so angry I had to step away for a while.

When I went back to the game, I immediately got a perfect Stage 1 and 2 (no hits, excellent border timing for score) for the first time ever.
Two really stupid deaths in Stage 3.
Captured Foggy London Dolls, the one Stage 3 card I never capture.
Crashed into a leftover bullet as FLD was disappearing.
Average runs on Stages 4 and 5 resulted in reaching Stage 6 with no lives. This is the furthest I've gotten, and I was well ahead of my previous high score.
Captured Youmu's midboss card, the first time ever seeing it.
Game overed to Yuyuko's opener. The best part? I had 997 point items.

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
Probably trying to 1cc EoSD on Normal for 3 hours. I can't think of any other time I punched my screen (repeatedly) while playing Touhou. (I got that 1cc on another day on the first attempt, though)