Author Topic: [Touhou Fan Game Assets] Taking sprites ? legal ?  (Read 3609 times)

[Touhou Fan Game Assets] Taking sprites ? legal ?
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:38:48 PM »
Hi, I'm new here  :]

I want to make a touhou fan game someday with the same genre like this one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJMlDIvf_o

But I'm really bad at art so is it good to take some sprites from touhou game ?
I mean i'm aware of ZUN policies and stuff but I see some touhou fan game taking some official sprites so I wonder.

If I can't its still okay I will just learn some PixelArt even though i suck and it will take too much time for me alone ...  :(

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: [Touhou Fan Game Assets] Taking sprites ? legal ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
I mean i'm aware of ZUN policies and stuff but I see some touhou fan game taking some official sprites so I wonder.

That would be fans who ignored ZUN's stated policy on fanworks.

If I can't its still okay I will just learn some PixelArt even though i suck and it will take too much time for me alone ...  :(

Or, you could ask some of our resident artists here if anyone wants to help with spriting.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »
Generally some people do ignore ZUN policies on using his resources, usually its the western community that does this. The japanese community values these policies alot more than we do so you won't often find them using ZUN stuff unless its remakes or edits. I've observed that both the western and eastern communities both tend to use the sprites of CtC or sprites that were made in that style are seen often. I'm not sure on the usage rights to those sprites but it must be ok if so many are using it. I personally use ZUN sprites directly but that is because I do not favor CtC's art style at all. The best place to look is on deviantArt, contains many people who can draw pixel art for you and get you the resources you need in the art department.

Though since you want an rpg, you'll definitely have to pay up for people to put their time in your game. RPGs require alot of visual resources, PCs, NPCs, enemy sprites, boss sprites, ect....

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
Your game is an RPG? I've seen a bunch of Touhou character RPG Maker sprites somewhere, though I forget what site. They're out there somewhere though. You could probably google "touhou rpg sprites" and find plenty (check whether the spriter(s) has given permission to use them of course).

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »
Your game is an RPG?
no, a fighting game like the video I posted. Not saying this game is bad (its the opposite^^) just taking this one for example because it did take some sprites from touhou fighting game and i'm just wondering if I can too.

Generally some people do ignore ZUN policies on using his resources, usually its the western community that does this.

Oh, that's why  :)

Or, you could ask some of our resident artists here if anyone wants to help with spriting.

Okay i will make another post if I'm ready.

Thanks for your answers everyone  :)

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
no, a fighting game like the video I posted. Not saying this game is bad (its the opposite^^) just taking this one for example because it did take some sprites from touhou fighting game and i'm just wondering if I can too.

That IS an RPG.
Fighters don't usually have items and stuff, and are just about combos most the time. This is like Castevania, the same genre.