Author Topic: Anime like Touhou?  (Read 8999 times)

Anime like Touhou?
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:43:03 PM »
I didn't really know where to put this topic, I hope a moderator/admin can help me next time. D:
Anyway, as the title say: Are there any anime like Touhou Games? I know there are fanmade anime around internet but I'm not searching anime based on Touhou, just anime like Touhou Games.
I hope someone could help me with this. XD

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Anime like Touhou?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:47:06 AM »
If you mean a kind of fantasy Japan setting with deep roots in mythology, try Mushishi.

If you mean superpowered girls being cute and beating each other up, there's a number of shows in that category.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
I've already watched Mushishi and I'm currently watching Mushishi: Zoku-Shou. As for the other category... yes, I'm searching for "battle between superpowered girls" but I wanted something like battle with youkai too or some kind of adventure with both them. I don't know if I'm clear with this. D:

Sixten

• Legendary Creature - Frog
  • 6/10
    • House of Sixten
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
"Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan" (Nurarihyon no Mago) isn't all girls, but there's lots of yokai battles and characters based off of the same myths as some Toho characters. There's a Yuki-Onna (and her mother), there's three crow tengu siblings, a guy whose head detaches, a water-bending Kappa, a blindness-inducing night sparrow, a flying treasure ship, and a talisman-tossing, spirit-summoning exorcist girl. Gods rely on the faith of humans for their power. Main villains include a Tanuki, a Kitsune, and a Nue.

And you'll find some Toho flavor in manga whose creators are well-known Toho doujin artists: "Dream Eater Merry" (Yumekui Merry) by Yoshitaka Ushiki, although the anime was not highly rated; "Everyday Tales of a Cat God" (Nekogami Yaoyorozu) by Flipflops; and to a lesser extent, "Daily Lives of High School Boys" (Danshi Kokosei no Nichijo) by Yasunobu Yamauchi, assuming he is indeed Bomber Grape.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »
I've already watched Nuraruhyon no Mago and Danshi Kokosei no Nichijo but not the other two (Yumekui Merry and Nekogami Yaoyorozu). Thanks for the names! :D

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
I think with regards to mythology (although used for gag purposes) - Sasami-san@Ganbaranai is a good choice. Sure feels like chronicles of Reimu after she left gensokyo.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
Tokyo Ravens is a recent anime about onmyouji and shikigami if that interests you, including shikigami who have their own shikigami. Most of the focus is on humans rather than youkai, but there's a Youmu-ish character and someone who may or may not be Ibaraki-douji.

Keeping with ravens, there's a harem(?) manga called Nariyuki Makase no Tengu Michi featuring tengu who could pass for Aya and Hatate's cousins.

Kekkaishi is about characters with barrier-related powers and a similar job to Reimu; IIRC most of the youkai in the series are generic monsters, but it has some kitsune and lake lords and so on.

For something more Night-Parade-ish, there's always Ghibli films.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has very little to do with Touhou theme-wise, but ZUN keeps throwing in references to it so you might want to check it out just for that. Not that you should need a reason to watch JoJo.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:59:53 PM by Prime32 »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has very little to do with Touhou theme-wise, but ZUN keeps throwing in references to it
Not doubting this, but I'd like to know where ZUN "keeps throwing in references" to JoJo.

For the OP: Arakawa Under The Bridge has probably the greatest kappa ever depicted in anime, and the Natsume series is, to my mind, a really warm and entertaining look at a (more or less) ordinary high school kid dealing with youkai of all kinds.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
The entire character of Sakuya is riddled with references to Dio Brando. Remilia also quoted Dio in her pre-boss dialogue, if I remember it right. Yuugi's "not even drop" is also often seen as a Jojoke.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »
Yeah what Jana said, Sakuya is just one big Dio Brando expy and if I'm not mistaken, the whole idea of characters having "manipulation of X" also comes from that. I might be wrong though. :V
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:18:10 AM »
Well I'll be damned! Learn something new every day.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Great! Thanks for all the anime! (I've already watched Tokyo Ravens) D: And LOL! I didn't know about the references in Touhou about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! XD

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
If I remember it right. Yuugi's "not even drop" is also often seen as a Jojoke.
It's a nod to Jonathan learning to fight without spilling a drop of wine from a glass. Also, Youmu's swordfighting ability and speed are quite comparable to Polnareff.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »
There's also the bit where Kaguya's New Impossible Request "Red Stone of Aja" from StB is a plot-important object for part 2.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
ZUN also likes to drop JoJo lines in random places.
"How many lives have you drained to gain that power?"
"Do you count how many times you have eaten bread?"
"Maybe you don't really get what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure I get it myself."
"Eventually [s]he stopped thinking."

The comment for Kaguya's Salamander Shield references ACDC (the character, not the band). Iku and Hatate have powers based on Lisa Lisa and (Part 3) Joseph respectively, and HM Ichirin plays like a character from the JoJo fighting games. I think someone used a variant of "Speedwagon withdraws coolly" at some point, but that may have been a doujin.

EDIT:
It's a nod to Jonathan learning to fight without spilling a drop of wine from a glass.
Also, every member of the Joestar family has a star-shaped birthmark.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:44:12 PM by Prime32 »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
Strike Witches has flying girls
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:02 AM »
Tokyo Ravens is a recent anime about onmyouji and shikigami if that interests you, including shikigami who have their own shikigami. Most of the focus is on humans rather than youkai, but there's a Youmu-ish character and someone who may or may not be Ibaraki-douji.

I am seconding Tokyo Ravens, probably the best serious show of magic and magic casting (with well researched rhythm of actual omyoudo too) last season. So watch this for that Touhou feel. actually watch it because the fucking awesome character known as Ootomo Jin. serious badass is his second name.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 05:02:21 AM »
Not doubting this, but I'd like to know where ZUN "keeps throwing in references" to JoJo.

For the OP: Arakawa Under The Bridge has probably the greatest kappa ever depicted in anime, and the Natsume series is, to my mind, a really warm and entertaining look at a (more or less) ordinary high school kid dealing with youkai of all kinds.

Yea, Natsume's Book of Friends is a great series.

As for something I haven't seen recommended yet, Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?  I mean look at the Main Character.  He looks like a gender swapped Yukari and is almost as broken.  They explore different myths outside the Japanese ones.  Also there's a blonde little girl vampire.