Author Topic: 東方桃源宮 ~ Riverbed Soul Saver (From the makers of TLC and MPP!)  (Read 54573 times)

I hope nobody has posted this but...

...there's a new fully-fledged fan-game on it's way, called Riverbed Soul Saver.
I'm no good at Japanese, but from what I can gather, a freezing cold air from outside Gensokyo has been flowing in, as well as a flood (please correct me if I'm wrong)
It's supposed to have a team system a la Subterranean Animism. (?)
More stuff can be found here> http://th-jss.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2014/02/2014-ea1b.html
and here> http://th-jss.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2014/03/post-fbd0.html

The demo is set to be released at March 24th.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:02:10 PM by Yabusame »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
A third game from ido? Geez, they don't stop, do they? Not that that's a bad thing, because I honestly enjoyed TLC and MPP, so I can't wait to see what RSS is going to bring!

Also thanks to the wonders of ATLAS and JParser, the Japanese title of the game seems to be "Eastern Shangri-la Palace" or "Eastern Paradise Palace." I'm honestly wondering based also on the key imagery if it has anything to do with the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, seeing as ido just loooooooves Judeo-Christian imagery.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Hoping not to have too much delay??
I had played MPP at 50fps yet.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Looking forward to it. I really like the games they develop.

The demo will be free for download right? If that's the case, please post it here when available.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
The demo will be free for download right? If that's the case, please post it here when available.
The full version of Mystical Power Plant is freely downloadable on their blog (I'm guessing The Last Comer would be somewhere farther back but didn't check), so I don't see why this one wouldn't, demo or otherwise.

Hmm, since I'm posting here-- I found Mystical Power Plant to be quite unbalanced difficulty-wise, but its soundtrack stood out to me even by Touhou fangame standards. So I'm looking forward to hearing the music of this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:45:36 AM by Karisa »

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
So it seems that Tanimoto's (the blog manager) newest post means that there is a second game coming this year!
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Seems like the demo is available to download now... http://th-jss.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2014/03/post-769f.html

also the demo video... http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23152650

the graphics look really fantastic... cant wait to try soon...!

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Seems easier than oranginal Lunatic.
[attach=1]

However I found this in the game script.
[attach=2]
Will it really have 8 stages?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
It might not necessarily have eight stages, but I think it might have a Phantasm Stage. I dug around in the music files and there seems to be possible placeholders for enough music to fit not only an Extra Stage, but a Phantasm Stage as well.

EDIT: Also, uhh... the game keeps hanging after a certain point in Stage 1. Anyone know how to fix this?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:34:33 AM by Validon98 »

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
  • This is suppose to be nonsensical except it isn't
Re: 東方桃源宮 ~ Riverbed Soul Saver (From the makers of TLC and MPP!)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
(Late post sorry!) Does definitely seem like Lunatic isn't being very... Well, Lunatic. And I dunno if anyone figured out how to go hyper but I found out how. The command is shot + bomb (Z + X) at the same time by the way.

Also I had a look into the script file myself. The image that has stage 7 and 8 is no lie. They could just be place holders for Extra and Phantasm how as I found this within the script files also:

Then again this is also a file found in MPP so who knows if they will ever use that Phantasm tab.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:47:28 AM by Gray21oh »

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
I dunno if anyone figured out how to go hyper but I found out how.[/url] The command is shot + bomb (Z + X) at the same time by the way.

The manual  says:"pressing and hold X when the slot is full (cost 1 bomb)". :V

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »
The manual  says:"pressing and hold X when the slot is full (cost 1 bomb)". :V
Well aren't I silly? Though then again I never really read the manual properly.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Well aren't I silly? Though then again I never really read the manual properly.

YES, IT'S SILLY!

Manual says:"red and green crystals will be doubled in hyper"

Who will use 1 bomb to get 1 or 2 fragments?

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
More Wanwan music :)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this game yet. I like MPP's patterns much better, but then again I really onlike like MPP's patterns from stage 4 on. Same goes for the music. I guess I'll just have to wait for the full game to decide. I don't like the system but I also don't understand it so that might be why.

Also, if they had the "Phantasm" icon in MPP and never used it, maybe they just have the "Stage 7" and "Stage 8" and they don't plan on using them?
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »
Does anyone know how to stop the game from hanging right before Cirno appears in Stage 1?

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 06:50:26 AM »
Oh my, this sounds promising :]
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Well this is easy. 1-miss blind Lunatic clear.  :/

I guess you could get quite a few resources with some proper Hyper management and timings. It's easy enough to get 4 life pieces with one hyper on a boss, maybe 6 if you are fast.
So if you can get two hypers off that's like 8 to 12 life pieces per stage.

Also return of the mop of doom! Not sure yet if you can exploit it in the same manner as you could in DDC though.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
...I feel like I'm horribly missing out on this game now, because it just doesn't work when I play it. I don't know if it's the files themselves, or if it's something on my laptop, or whatever it is. It just completely freezes right before Cirno shows up, and then I can't kill the process and I'm forced to restart my entire computer. Does ANYONE know how to fix this?

EDIT: Okay, so the only way I've been able to get it to work is by setting Effect Cut to 4. Well that sucks because that means no backgrounds or anything, but... what else can I do, really?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:15:51 PM by Validon98 »

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
Also return of the mop of doom! Not sure yet if you can exploit it in the same manner as you could in DDC though.

Yeah no since its static, and the homingness it had goes to her focus amulet.

If one of Futo's shottypes isn't the one she had in Vaudeville of Fallen Disciple I will be so dissappointed.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 03:39:17 AM »
Damn, was gonna post stuff about this a little while ago before my internet was knocked out, thanks to Yabusame for doing so though! I really like the look of this, no time to play the demo tonight, but I will give my thoughts tomorrow...if I actually remember to. :3

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
So as I said, I was GONNA download the trial and test it out, however, I can't because my downloads stop about 3/4ths of the way there. Could someone put it up on mediafire or something? I've tried downloading for the past 3 hours. ><

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 05:33:43 AM »
I got it to work!

So here are my thoughts:

Most things seemed balanced, I believe one of the stage 3 boss spells might be a little fast for never players.
Everything else is fine to me.
Bonus points for Wanwan

I'm already excited for this! Wonder what they're going to do for the extra boss?

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
Sorry for the bump but I'd like to mention about an update they did.

They released a new demo that adds Marisa and changes a lot of the stage patterns with (I think) some spellcard alterations also.  I dunno if I put links here or not but they have a link on their blog which right now is through Dropbox.
My opinion is that they definitely revamped the game to be a lot more harder and meatier.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:53:55 PM by Gray21oh »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
Okay, this is a serious question I asked before in this thread that no one answered, and I really want to know the answer to it: Has ANYONE had the game completely hang and crash right before Cirno appears in Stage 1 if the Effect Cut is not at 4? If so, do you know how to fix that problem? I really don't want to have to always play the game with the backgrounds off just because there was some stupid programming derp in the background that makes it hang in that exact spot.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
My opinion is that they definitely revamped the game to be a lot more harder and meatier.
Len (Phantasm Romance, Phantasmagoria Trues) joined the team now so I'm expecting this game to be really good once it's done.  He's really amazing, so I think his influence will help a ton with making the game feel well balanced.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »
Len (Phantasm Romance, Phantasmagoria Trues) joined the team

Holy shit get hype.
I was wondering why the stages suddenly exploded in quality.

Hypers seem to be much easier to get in the new version and it seems you can pretty much be in hyper mode almost all the time. I'm guessing hyper recharge tricks will become important like how you recharge in Deathsmiles.
Bosses still seem really silly as you can get like four free captures if you use a hyper on them and there's absolutely no reason not to as you get a ton of resources from doing so.

Also lol Ketsui.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »
Holy shit get hype.
Hype be gotten.  This just went from "meh, when it comes out and I get time to finish what I'm doing" to where's the download link.

The game balance very much reminds me of Phantasmagoria Trues (imagine that) in that your stock fluctuates wildly between Infinite Miko Works and virtually nothing based on being able to sustain chains of hypers and (more importantly) not chain-dying as a result of not being able to sustain chains of hypers.  I thought that bombing for points would work out a lot better than it does - I think that enemies drop drastically fewer point items during bombs.  I think that being able to hyper through bosses is intentional; otherwise they wouldn't drop something like half a bar of pointsicles with each capture.

Most of the game's difficulty is in the stages, I think.  The bosses (so much as you can't hyper-plow through them) are by and large not places to spam resources, although all of them have ways of punishing lazy players.

What's the dominant shot type in this game?  Just playing around...
*ReimuA seemed particularly weak at first glance, even the homing.
*ReimuB seemed fairly standard.
*ReimuJanitor actually looked pretty interesting.  I'm not sure its gimmick is worthwhile in a several places, but the hyper (with incredible auto-collect range!) is great boss repellent without needing to stay directly under them.
*MarisA FINALLY FINALLY SOMEONE ACTUALLY MAKES A GOOD MARISA TYPE I'm sorry that was favoritism but she actually has both game-highest damage (I think) and the ability to use it.
*MarisaB didn't seem particularly better in the damage department, and the missiles seemed both unreliable and distracting.  The lock-on (from MSD?) during the hyper was interesting, but strong enough to bother.
*MarisaC was actually pretty strong and there are definitely parts of Stage 3 where you want a back-firing shot, but the short-range only hyper was kind of rubbish.  It didn't seem much stronger than any other hyper given its range, and if you're close to the stage enemies in this game you're probably about to die horribly.

IMO the game suffers from a case of Can't See Shit.  Using MarisA didn't help (much like with UFO, dodging bullets directly in front of you involves prayer due to your bright alpha-blended options), but the pointsicles that the bosses drop are really not easy to distinguish from other bullets (especially blue butterflies).

The backgrounds are good (Stage 3 looks great); the music is disappointing.

You can see a different Kodama based on the shot type you're using (A, B, or C).

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »
Very polished looks all around.

[attach=1]
Score balancing feels silly. Not as inflated as MPP, though I can easily reach over a billion at Stage 3 and the spell card rewards feel weaker than rewards from the rest of the game, giving more of the incentive to bomb/hyper the whole thing.