Author Topic: Touhou Bug/Glitch Thread  (Read 34475 times)

Re: Touhou Bug/Glitch Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
In TD, capturing a spellcard outside of Spell Practice still counts for unlocking the Overdrive version. Kinda nice, but I don't think this was intentional.

It is intentional, it says so in the manual

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
It is intentional, it says so in the manual

Whoops. It does. Never mind then. I forgot it even exists outside of photo games or GFW :V

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
It seems that when you place knives on Raiko right before she turns blue during her timeout spell Blue Lady Show, the pattern is slowed down and the musical note SFX is messed up. (It's also a cheap trick to capture the spell, because the time stays fast, unlike the pattern. The whole hard part is skipped.  :D) I might be the first person who has found this glitch since I haven't read about it or seen it anywhere. Also, I know about Sakuya-A's ability to prevent bullets from being shot, but the entire pattern slowing down... and the hard part being skipped... that's not supposed to happen! And I don't think you are supposed to be able to damage Raiko, either.. before she turns blue. In all other Extra stage timeout spells, the boss is invincible the whole time.

EDIT: Also, the spell goes back to normal if you pause.

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWlmGgH43A
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:21:34 PM by Maribel Hearn »

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
@Maribel Hearn:
Actually, I discovered this several months ago, and I'd uploaded a video of me capturing the spell using that glitch here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMxWhCytT28

In this case, I captured the spell before the second phase even ended, so I didn't have to face the third (and hardest) phase at all! However, I'd also experimented with this a bit afterwards, and depending on your positioning and/or the timing of sticking the knives into Raiko, the speed of the spell and the timer can vary, meaning you may or may not face the third phase of the spell (and maybe only a small part of the third phase), and the spell could take something like 1.5x as long to complete because the timer could count down slower (though it'll still likely be easier to capture than playing it normally).

However, I never managed to get this to work on a full Extra Stage run. Only in Spell Practice.

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Hm, I see. *sits in the corner of sadness because of not being the first one to discover it ;_; I was so sure of it.. I couldn't find anything about the glitch at all* At least I am the person to get the glitch attention and to make sure it will be on the Wiki.  :) *optimism*

Well, if you discovered it so long ago, then why hasn't the glitch been mentioned on Touhou Wiki yet? We should update it!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:53:41 PM by Maribel Hearn »

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2014, 12:54:36 AM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »

I find that if I open EoSD, click to another window, and then click back, it starts to doing this scrolling thing that is not stoppable by anything but closing the game. Is this what this is? Because if so, I'm curious to know what the fix is, too.

e: Apart from simply not clicking away from the game once opened.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »
Well, if you discovered it so long ago, then why hasn't the glitch been mentioned on Touhou Wiki yet? We should update it!

I guess because everyone thought it was a "Spell Practice only" bug/glitch?
A few cards have an odd behavior in Spell Practice (other than some others being "misplaced"), the sisters' midboss cards leave one behind when the spell is timed out, and Raiko's 7th spell's laser drums also bug out on time outs.

There's also the fact that is well known SakuyaA slows down boss patterns

I find that if I open EoSD, click to another window, and then click back, it starts to doing this scrolling thing that is not stoppable by anything but closing the game. Is this what this is? Because if so, I'm curious to know what the fix is, too.

huh, would it be because of a secondary software at work (like Wine)? I usually get this issue when I plug my gamepad while the game is running

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2014, 01:46:51 AM »
I guess because everyone thought it was a "Spell Practice only" bug/glitch?

It's still a bug/glitch, no matter in which mode(s) it occurs.

There's also the fact that is well known SakuyaA slows down boss patterns
"the entire pattern slowing down... and the hard part being skipped... that's not supposed to happen!" Really, I am nearly sure that it was unintended by ZUN for the spell to end earlier than it's supposed to.

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2014, 02:45:11 AM »
It's still a bug/glitch, no matter in which mode(s) it occurs.
I meant that is was probably considered just a minor glitch, not really worth a mention, since it was supposedly not possible outside of practice and cards acting weird on spell practice

"the entire pattern slowing down... and the hard part being skipped... that's not supposed to happen!" Really, I am nearly sure that it was unintended by ZUN for the spell to end earlier than it's supposed to.
agreed, maybe it was an oversight, this card is kind of an exception because it's a survival card, which makes me wonder if the same thing happens for Sukuna's survival card

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2014, 05:55:38 AM »
And I don't think you are supposed to be able to damage Raiko, either.. before she turns blue. In all other Extra stage timeout spells, the boss is invincible the whole time.
While not relevant to this glitch, I feel like pointing out that Mokou is not invincible during her (first) survival spell-- just shoot the familiars. The spell has even been captured by depleting the health using the MAlice cannon (though there's not much point in doing so aside from showing it's possible, or if you're trying to speedrun Mokou for some reason). Not sure if that would be considered a glitch-- it could be.

A few non-Extra timeout spells allow a negligible amount of damage too-- Marisa's spark takes damage in her Last Word, Eirin apparently takes damage from Alice's laser during Hourai Elixir, and Aya seems to take a bit of damage at the start of Illusionary Dominance/PWG.

Mamizou and Shinmyoumaru might also take damage at the start of theirs, but I can't tell since they have no health bar at that point (and I never bothered trying to find the boss health memory address).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:58:39 AM by Karisa »

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »

I think this only happens in older Windows games.
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
(though there's not much point in doing so aside from showing it's possible, or if you're trying to speedrun Mokou for some reason).

Not true. It's beneficial for scoring. ASL depletes the health in his Magic team World Record. The cancel from that spellcard is massive due to the ridiculous amount of familiars Mokou spawn over the course of the fight. It's definitely worth more than the few timeorbs you'd get from shooting unfocused.

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2014, 01:34:10 AM »
Okay, I have this thing, and I've never seen anyone else have the same issue, ever. I didn't do anything to my game, but suddenly my focus button was broken. On every game in the series, what it does is this weird thing where if I press shift to focus it does nothing at all until I hit the arrow keys. And if I'm already in motion when I press the button I remain in unfocused mode. I'm already bad enough at the games as is, but this glitch makes my gameplay much worse. I can't count the amount of times I've been screwed over on DDC stage 4 because I can't slow down, and just keep moving straight forward.

And of course, the time I died on IN for literally no reason at all. I was really far away from any bullet, and spontaneously died. I saved the replay, and am trying to upload it to YouTube. Anyone help on either of these issues?
A beautiful soulgrudge this cosmic was surely authored by the constellations.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 08:46:18 AM »
And of course, the time I died on IN for literally no reason at all. I was really far away from any bullet, and spontaneously died. I saved the replay, and am trying to upload it to YouTube. Anyone help on either of these issues?

Could you upload the .rpy file to gensokyo.org or something like that, just to see if it still happens on another person's game?

Drake

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »
Okay, I have this thing, and I've never seen anyone else have the same issue, ever. I didn't do anything to my game, but suddenly my focus button was broken. On every game in the series, what it does is this weird thing where if I press shift to focus it does nothing at all until I hit the arrow keys. And if I'm already in motion when I press the button I remain in unfocused mode. I'm already bad enough at the games as is, but this glitch makes my gameplay much worse. I can't count the amount of times I've been screwed over on DDC stage 4 because I can't slow down, and just keep moving straight forward.
This is very clearly a keyboard problem. Can you swap it out and try another?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2014, 12:19:53 AM »
This is very clearly a keyboard problem. Can you swap it out and try another?

This is not a keyboard problem, I'll tell you that. I've tried it with all 3 keyboards I own, and all of them have the same issue. And if it was a keyboard issue, I would be noticing it on other games besides Touhou.

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
Oh, okay, sure. Sure. I fixed the keyboard thing, but in the dumbest way possible. Run Touhou on a Mac, as opposed to my Windows. I just need Wine, and suddenly flawless. Makes zero sense.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
Oh, okay, sure. Sure. I fixed the keyboard thing, but in the dumbest way possible. Run Touhou on a Mac, as opposed to my Windows. I just need Wine, and suddenly flawless. Makes zero sense.
Makes sense to me. Windows is a pretty bad OS. If anything can go wrong, it always will, and it will find the stupidest way to do it. I have the most strangest thing with using a controller on mine that nobody else on the internet seems to have, but I won't go into that here.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:57:50 PM by ARF »
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:06 AM »
Some interesting stuff from EoSD (not necessarily bug/glitches):

If you watch a replay in EoSD, after that replay until you start a new game you can use CTRL to speed the option/difficult/shot choosing etc on 240fps.

If you timeout a midboss that flies away, you can still kill the midboss after it starts to fly away and get the items it drops, as shown in this video: http://youtu.be/VM68E0Y_qzU?t=15s
The same thing works even if the midboss has a spellcard, the boss will fly away, die and drop items, and therefore you skip the spellcard. This is possible on all bosses with a nonspell and a spellcard afterward. Something weird happens when you do this with Patchouli though, when you timeout her second nonspell and kill it off, the whole boss dies off and you skip all three spellcards afterwards. If you try this with Flandre's last nonspell, this I believe doesn't work.

If you die at the same time as a bullet cancel happens such as a spellcard ends, sometimes you get no power items from the death. http://youtu.be/_XKyGgQ0wN0?t=16s

Spell bonus is weirdly non linear in EoSD, it differs a whole bunch on every attack. For example on some attack the score difference between a spell bonus of 400k-500k is a few hundred thousand points, and on some attacks the score difference is a few million points.

You can damage attack's health bars such as Gensokyo or QED at the end of the earlier attack (very useful).

Dying or bombing affects fairy spawns, mainly with Marisa B. For example if you use a bomb on stage 6 with Marisa B, some of the fairies might not spawn. I've had this happen with ReimuB with a suicide/bomb.

If you bomb when Remilia's/Flandre's(Not sure about this one) last spellcard is about to timeout, the timer runs down so the attack ends, but the boss stays on screen due to the invincibility caused by the bomb, and will stay on screen until you shoot at her.

Sometimes if you bomb/die and instantly reset and start a new run, the game screen will shake in a weird way for a few seconds (I have no proof of this, might just be my eyes playing tricks on me but it has happened multiple times, right at the beginning of runs after restarting).

Reimu A's shot doesn't make any sound with 16-32 power.

Eternal Meek's health bar differs with shot types.

Sometimes after full powering you cannot PoC the power items that spawned on the screen before you got full power (not sure what triggers this).

AND THEN, THE MOST UNBELIEVEABLE MIND BLOWING FACT ABOUT EOSD THAT I NEVER KNEW UNTIL A WHILE AGO... The grey power meter increases in size as you get more power!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:46:24 AM by cactu »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2014, 03:17:06 AM »
Interesting.

I knew about the Q.E.D. thing, but I didn't know you could do it with Gensokyo too.

Also, I suppose a run which skipped Patchouli's last three spells wouldn't be considered legit? I wouldn't do it, but it would be nice to skip Emerald Megalith.

Also. I wonder if Eternal Meek's different healthbars was made to balance out the spell between shots. Like intentional.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:19:00 AM by Mino ☆ »

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2014, 03:24:03 AM »
Meek's health bars are definitely intentional, but it's funny how the weakest shot type, Reimu A kills the spell the fastest, while generally the strongest shot type, Reimu B, kills it the slowest.

Also, I suppose a run which skipped Patchouli's last three spells wouldn't be considered legit? I wouldn't do it, but it would be nice to skip Emerald Megalith.
It's as legit as timing out any other nonspell and skipping any other spellcard. So if you want to NMNB the game without capturing all spellcards... Go for it. Some consider it cheesing though, but it is a very difficult frame perfect trick to pull off.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:25:42 AM by cactu »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »
Sometimes after full powering you cannot PoC the power items that spawned on the screen before you got full power (not sure what triggers this).
Are you referring to the power items that spawn from dying? I think the game uses different code for them for some reason (perhaps they're technically different items from standard power items?), since those specific items won't be auto-collected by the PoC.

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2014, 03:44:09 AM »
Are you referring to the power items that spawn from dying? I think the game uses different code for them for some reason (perhaps they're technically different items from standard power items?), since those specific items won't be auto-collected by the PoC.
Probably.

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
If you quit out during the white fade-out after Resurrection Butterfly, the main menu screen will continue to fade to white and refresh back to normal after a bit (you can also do this in IN).

If you reset the stage during this fade, the "refresh" will still happen, but afterwards your screen will look like this (this one won't work with IN):

You can also get this by watching a replay, quitting out during the fade, then quickly starting a replay again. Note that any change in FPS will refresh the screen to normal, though.

Also, I don't have proof of this one, but one time when playing PCB Extra I ran down the timer on Ran's final spell and tried to kill it at the last second. She never exploded, but just disappeared and it instantly cut to the dialogue. In addition, the time-slowing effect of the final explosion was going on, and the spellcard background was still there. I'm guessing I ended the spellcard on the last possible frame or something like that. I'm not sure if I would've gotten the spellcard bonus because I had broken a border on the spell previously.

Dying or bombing affects fairy spawns, mainly with Marisa B. For example if you use a bomb on stage 6 with Marisa B, some of the fairies might not spawn.

To be specific, enemies that will normally come out of the right side of the screen won't during some of the shaky portion of MarisaB's bomb.

Sometimes if you bomb/die and instantly reset and start a new run, the game screen will shake in a weird way for a few seconds (I have no proof of this, might just be my eyes playing tricks on me but it has happened multiple times, right at the beginning of runs after restarting).

I think I've had that happen to me too, with MarisaB's bomb.

AND THEN, THE MOST UNBELIEVEABLE MIND BLOWING FACT ABOUT EOSD THAT I NEVER KNEW UNTIL A WHILE AGO... The grey power meter increases in size as you get more power!

I actually never even noticed this haha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:04:00 PM by Star King »

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »
If you quit out during the white fade-out after Resurrection Butterfly, the main menu screen will continue to fade to white and refresh back to normal after a bit (you can also do this in IN).

If you reset the stage during this fade, the "refresh" will still happen, but afterwards your screen will look like this (this one won't work with IN):

You can also get this by watching a replay, quitting out during the fade, then quickly starting a replay again. Note that any change in FPS will refresh the screen to normal, though.
This happens sometimes in EoSD as well, and can be gotten rid off by pressing ESC. It's quite annoying.

To be specific, enemies that will normally come out of the right side of the screen won't during some of the shaky portion of MarisaB's bomb.
Right.
Me neither! It blew my mind when I noticed it, I couldn't believe I didn't see it after all of the time I've spent with this game.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »
If you watch a replay in EoSD, after that replay until you start a new game you can use CTRL to speed the option/difficult/shot choosing etc on 240fps.
Probably a bug with the way vsync works since EoSD doesn't have an option to fast forward replays natively. That, and as far as I can tell, ZUN didn't really know what he was doing when me made EoSD as it was his first Windows game.

Eternal Meek's health bar differs with shot types.
Meek's health bars are definitely intentional, but it's funny how the weakest shot type, Reimu A kills the spell the fastest, while generally the strongest shot type, Reimu B, kills it the slowest.
This I didn't know about. I usually play with ReimuA anyway so I guess I'm clearing it faster than others.

My gosh guys. How did you not even notice this. I noticed it when I first played the game. You are aware that PCB and IN do this too, right? Even the PC-98 games?
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »
My gosh guys. How did you not even notice this. I noticed it when I first played the game. You are aware that PCB and IN do this too, right? Even the PC-98 games?
I noticed it before I first played the game. I recall watching some Touhou videos, listening to the music, checking the sidebar, noticing the power bar but misinterpreting it as a literal damage-per-projectile upgrade (thinking the shot widening was something different), and trying to figure out what "Graze" meant (and whether it was really increasing by being close to bullets, when I couldn't follow the player's hitbox properly at the time). I also recall being confused about the second part of the point item count in PCB/IN back then, thinking it was the total number in the level or something... oh, the memories.

On a semi-related note that still has nothing to do with bugs, if you cheat to set the power in EoSD higher than 128, the power meter widens even more. I think if you set the power too much higher than 128 your shot reverts to minimal power though  (even though it still displays "MAX")...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:33:03 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
Funny things happen when you mess around with cheat engine, at least in EoSD. If you freeze the timer, and just wait out the midboss until the boss appears, the midboss will disappear, and the boss will be replaced by the next enemy that you would have facen after the midboss would have timed out, so in Stage 4's case, once you fight Patchouli, you'll just fight against a single kedama that doesn't shoot anything and doesn't have a hitbox, and just spins around on the screen until you kill it. Once you do, the stage is over. This works with all of the stages iirc. I think if you timeout a spellcard however, a different thing happens. I can't exactly remember what it was, and since I don't have the adress for timestop on cheat engine anymore (does anyone know? I'd really like to know what it is), I can't test it out. I think what happened might have been something like once you kill the spell off, the boss doesn't even appear, and you just go to the next stage, assuming you spent enough time on the spell. Also if you freeze the timer on Patchouli's nonspells, after a certain period of time they become ridiculously fast like what happens if you freeze the timer on Sinking Vortex. The same thing probably happens with Cirno's first spellcard.

Unrelated to cheat engine, I noticed that rank doesn't actually immediately affect patterns (at least not all of them). For example, if you die during Flowering Vine when Meiling has started shooting bullets, the pattern will stay at the rank it started out as, no matter how low or high you set the rank at. This plays a big role in scoring, since you can't suicide in the middle of the spellcard, lower the rank and then get a good cancel, but instead you have to suicide before the pattern starts for it to be a low rank pattern.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:34:06 PM by cactu »