Author Topic: Touhou Bug/Glitch Thread  (Read 34465 times)

Touhou Bug/Glitch Thread
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
Earlier, I was playing IN, and was doing really good. I captured most of Eirin's spellcards, even timing out Hourai Elixir. I never used a continue, but afterwards...
"Bad Ending #6: Try again without using a continue!"
So, that got me thinking, what other bugs are there in Touhou games? So, I decided to come here, to see if anyone here had found any.
checkFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED
checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
<Die The death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
Re: Touhou Bug/Glitch Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:54 AM »
It's not a bug. There are two different routes in IN. The first time you play you don't get any choices. You face Eirin in the final stage and automatically get the bad end for your team. Play again and at the end of stage 5 you get 2 choices. The first one takes you again on the same path against Eirin and the bad end and the second one takes you to Kaguya's stage. Defeat her and you'll get a good end.
The only bug in IN is Wriggle. derp.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:44:41 AM by Fonzi »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
Doesn't defeating Eirin give you a "normal ending"? At least if the wiki is correct. It's been a very long time since I've played FinalA in a full run.

Also, IN has some bugs. The game doesn't properly keep track of the time running on the results screen, instead usually displaying something much higher. Also, apparently the last spell may activate even if you're slightly below the time orb requirement, though I've never encountered that myself. The higher damage from MAlice cannon (press the focus button repeatedly to fire both Marisa's and Alice's shots at the same time) may or may not also qualify.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:53 AM »
Doesn't defeating Eirin give you a "normal ending"? At least if the wiki is correct. It's been a very long time since I've played FinalA in a full run.

If the imperishable night ever reaches 5:00 am - Bad End

If the imperishable night ends before 5:00 am - Normal End

If you want to know about the bugs in Touhou games, check the touhouwiki or try googling for them. That is all.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
If you finish attacks in EoSD at certain times you don't get any items where you should get them, also if you die on specific spots you won't get items.
For example you can finish Meiling's first spell and not get any items, or if you die on Koakuma right before she dies you won't get any power items from her.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »
From the top of my head I can only recall that in SA, clearing the game on Easy after having the extra stage unlocked locks it again. And that infamous Marisa's laser bug in MoF.
Then for example at some point under unknown circumstances my character sprite started moving in one direction without gettig any input. Pressing the direction on the numeric pad in the same direction as the character was moving solved it, but not before I bit the bullet. And there's an exploit in SoEW (not sure about other PC - 98 games). Rapidly pressing the shot button fires more bullets than by holding it down, making bosses go down faster.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
My favorite unintended feature is that you can bomb Stage 6 midboss Orin and Ex Sanae during dialogue with MarisaB or ReimuC and skip them entirely.

MoF, DS and StB seems to have some very rare graphical glitches during gameplay (and during the selection screen for DS). I don't know what causes it, but restarting the game fixes it.

Another good one is that you can play as Aya during the Aya scenes in the spoiler levels if you first clear SP-4 and go to the next scene from there. There's the famous 12-6 bug which makes you die from invisible stuff and desyncs replays (it can be very persistent, but quitting to the menu before retrying makes it happen only like once every 100 photos or something). In StB, if you start 6-5 and then quit the scene as soon as Chen appears, the screen shaking this effect will persist in the next scene you choose.  This will desync the replay as well. If you time out a spell card in MoF extra and bomb just as it ends, Suwako will be invincible for the following nonspell. And lots more... I think the wiki has pretty good lists for these things, you could check that out for more.
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
Saving a replay for the last spell card of a stage in DS allows you to play the first spell card of the next stage. In STB playing s certain spell cards for too many times causes the boss's graphics to get stuck but due to the FPS also slowing down replays will desync. I once had Remilia and her bats show up on one of Chen's cards.

MOF and SA are known to have desync issues with replays. There used to be a glitch with the score in UFO but it was fixed. In 10D playing spell practice on a stage the character didn't make it to unlocks it for them in stage practice. So if I never played with Youmu before and I capture Miko's spell cards in spell practice with Youmu she will be able to play Stage 6. Doesn't work for Extra though.

In GFW death bombing doesn't update the bomb counter but I think it does update the PF counter.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
And there's an exploit in SoEW (not sure about other PC - 98 games). Rapidly pressing the shot button fires more bullets than by holding it down, making bosses go down faster.
Apparently that's in the manual (or at least is commonly said to be), meaning it's not an exploit, though considering SoEW's (lack of) quality it's possibly a glitch turned into a "feature".

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
it's possibly a glitch turned into a "feature".

Malice Cannon. :V

Anyway, here's the pause menu glitches thing I had recorded last year.
EoSD
PCB

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 11:54:16 PM »
A bug which noone seems to have posted yet (unless I'm blind) is the infamous Shinki bug from MS. It seems that Shinki instantly shoots you down as in takes away one of your player lives during the start of her boss fight. I'm not really sure if this always happens or if it's just random. The fighting games also contains some weird effects, like Sakuyas time-stopping fields in Hisoutensoku messing with some of the other characters actions, like Utsuhos and Meilings shiny-orb charging moves.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:44 AM »
There's the bug in MoF where Kanako's face comes up from the bottom of the screen when bombing or clearing.

There's also the feature in MoF where watching a replay of a stage will unlock it for practice.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ElDestructoe

• This one time
  • I got all the way to stage 2
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »
I don't really know what happened here but some text started following me around. It disappeared when I died and doesn't show up in the replay.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 01:16:11 AM »
If you finish attacks in EoSD at certain times you don't get any items where you should get them, also if you die on specific spots you won't get items.
For example you can finish Meiling's first spell and not get any items, or if you die on Koakuma right before she dies you won't get any power items from her.
That's more or less accurate. The reason you don't get those power items from Meiling's first card is because of some bullet cap thing. The game is trying to generate the items while the bullets are still being cleared off the screen, and it fails to do so because of a cap. This doesn't typically happen on the lower difficulties, but happens most often on hard and lunatic.

Though there is still the possibility of them just not dropping for whatever reason other than explained above. EoSD is a finicky game anyway.

EDIT:
Apparently that's in the manual (or at least is commonly said to be), meaning it's not an exploit, though considering SoEW's (lack of) quality it's possibly a glitch turned into a "feature".
As far as I know, no, it isn't in the manual. Either it was intended and ZUN didn't mention it, or it was an oversight. (which may explain why that only happens in that game)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:18:06 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Zil

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 01:24:45 AM »
I bet I could write a ballad about PoDD's glitches.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
I was playing Shoot the Bullet when this happened:

In order of issues:
1. It was Chen's attack, yet Youmu's sprites were used instead of Chen's.
2. The Youmu sprites duplicated wherever they went, like someone took a Gimp brush of Youmu and painted it across the screen.
3. The title screen theme (Tengu's Notebook ~ Mysterious Note) was playing instead of Sleepless Night in the Eastern Country like it's supposed to.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:07 AM »
I don't really know what happened here but some text started following me around. It disappeared when I died and doesn't show up in the replay.

Great that you caught it in a screenshot at least, I've had this happen with ReimuC, I believe the text replaces an option (it was easy to tell with ReimuC since her options move so much when you focus).

I'm a bit miffed that I never had the StB boss sprite replacement glitch happen to me. Kinda makes me wonder if it only happens in the english patched game or something, but I probably just need to play more!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Drake

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 02:04:06 AM »
Nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j10JjILc7ZA

Funny thing you guys mentioned it since I was going to anyways.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Zil

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 02:46:29 AM »
I got Sakuya's legs (but not her upper body) once instead of Komachi. I thought it was the symbol pi at first.

vctrz

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:53 AM »
Spell Practice 062 in IN: if Reimu goes too far off the screen, you'll fail the spellcard without actually getting hit.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:55 AM »
You guys should create a specific page on the wiki with this glitch list. I think that each game page has a list with some glitches but a page made only of glitches is more interesting :P

My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

yorgje

• I couldn't resist being a dumbass!
    • STGrillz: Touhou streams etc.
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:41 AM »
There's a nasty glitch in PoFV where if you've charged a level 2 spell and unleash it right around the time you take a hit that puts you at your last life, it uses up your entire spell gauge. Or something. You certainly don't end up at 3 as you're supposed to.

Also, I guess here's a small graphical bug, where you can see some crap up by the score. I guess ZUN just stores stuff up there and it's supposed to be covered up, but it seems to get uncovered rather frequently for me.

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »
THE GRAPHICS

This happened while I was watching my MarisaB 1cc replay in windowed mode. What.

EDIT: And Youtube managed to make it even more...bright than it already was.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:49:06 AM by Blue »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »
I've had it happen a few times in MoF where the graphics get screwed up. The falling leaves are flickering, and the backgrounds in stages are weird. It usually gets stuttering fps when that happens and crashes within a minute or two. Hasn't happened in a long while though.

Also, Double Spoiler 12-6 for those that don't know. Dying by invisible bullets, fun stuff. (and replays will never work ever)

EDIT: Actually, I just found a youtube video of someone showing a replay of that stage just fine, that's interesting.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:53:39 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
I remember one time playing FW in fullscreen, the falling things on the title screen turned into text.
checkFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED
checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
<Die The death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 05:11:16 AM »
I just remembered that a few times when playing TD, after defeating the stage 1 midboss, one of the circling spirits remained, and started circling around the post-midboss enemies instead. If the enemy it was circling around happened to be defeated, the glitchy spirit teleported to a different enemy on the other side of the screen, until it was defeated itself.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 04:44:43 AM »
Display bugs on the spell cap value when it breaks 100m/110m/120m/etc.  After these it starts going through some text characters.  It's something you'll probably never encounter unless you're a superplayer and your cherrymax gets really high though (and even then 100m is probably about the best you'll get)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 04:56:10 AM »
That's more or less accurate. The reason you don't get those power items from Meiling's first card is because of some bullet cap thing. The game is trying to generate the items while the bullets are still being cleared off the screen, and it fails to do so because of a cap. This doesn't typically happen on the lower difficulties, but happens most often on hard and lunatic.
...That could explain why Fujiyama Volcano doesn't always drop point items-hitting an internal cap of some sort?  I remember a discussion about the reason for it some months ago (and how it killed scoreruns) but hitting an internal cap was never mentioned as a potential reason...

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 04:57:57 AM »
I've never seen that with the PCB spell bonus except in the 7b TAS. I've seen 90m bonuses in world records though (Yuyuko's 3rd/4th spells), so I wouldn't doubt it's possible non-TAS.

If you're not using the vsync patch it also happens with the cherry (not cherrymax, just the left value) at 1,000,000. That shouldn't be quite as difficult to reach.

Speaking of display glitches that are only reachable by superplayers or TASing, let's not forget the one in UFO where the displayed score loops into the negatives if you score above 231 (about 2.147b).

And in the DDC demo, reaching 30 extends causes the life part counter to stop functioning. I think it uses TD's system with the 8/10/12/etc replaced by a line of 3's.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:37:59 AM by Karisa »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 07:28:35 AM »
...That could explain why Fujiyama Volcano doesn't always drop point items-hitting an internal cap of some sort?  I remember a discussion about the reason for it some months ago (and how it killed scoreruns) but hitting an internal cap was never mentioned as a potential reason...
I read about it somewhere some time ago, but I don't remember where. Anyway, it may in fact not be the reason at all, but it does logically work to my understanding. Do you know where you read about that other reason, by chance?
TF2 Backpack