Author Topic: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - Less than a week till release  (Read 193468 times)

Re: Pocket Monsters 6th Gen (Dimensions) - X and Y versions announcement
« Reply #720 on: October 04, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
also with trick room you need to have a team built around it or else you can fuck yourself over

this new move not only stops boosts but also forces your opponent to waste a turn on switching while roar switches them without them losing a turn (well except in gen 1 or was it 2)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #721 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:41 AM »
Isn't Charizard Y massively worse than Ninetales in OU? In a weather war you typically have to switch in and out a lot, and it has a quadruple Stealth Rock weakness. Unless it can take down Politoed and Tyranitar one on one in adverse weather, which I don't think it can. At least that's how I understand it works. I don't play OU very much.

charizard (non-Mega) - 78/84/78/109/85/100
ninetales - 73/76/75/81/100/100

You were saying? Mega-evolutions tend to have stat boosts in relevant statistics, and we can already see that Charizard is better than Ninetales in the stats where it counts - both of them have similar bulk (Ninetales 100 SpD isn't really relevant here) but Charizard is much better offensively. That it gets Drought gives it a significant boon over Ninetales, and while the W4 to Stealth Rock is a big discouraging factor that hasn't stopped people from running things like Moltres in OU as a pocket strat wallbreaker (not to mention Moltres isn't exactly unpopular in its home domain, RU, either)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:11:31 AM by Kawamura`Reo »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #722 on: October 04, 2013, 03:13:32 AM »
hopefully gamefreak will nerf SR cause they seem to been doing well on other nerfs so far

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #723 on: October 04, 2013, 03:14:13 AM »
That move sounds like a big deal to me, put it on something with Prankster and you basically never have to worry about setup sweepers again.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #724 on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:26 AM »
That move sounds like a big deal to me, put it on something with Prankster and you basically never have to worry about setup sweepers again.
Pranksters can already do this with Haze but I guess this is more useful (-2 Attack from SD, etc.) and maybe even more likely to be on their movepools.

SR is too huge a deal. We'll see how much better Megazard is before talking but for now I prefer Ninetales. Actually I'm not sure. Charizard gets Roost so maybe it's actually better even without stat buffs.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:20:01 AM by BT »

« Reply #725 on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:31 AM »
Haze, Power Trick and Power Swap don't fix stuff like Blaziken.

they should make a priority flying move so a banded staraptor would take care of that oh wait whats staraptors tier

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #726 on: October 04, 2013, 03:26:26 AM »
Pranksters can already do this with Haze but I guess this is more useful (-2 Attack from SD, etc.) and maybe even more likely to be on their movepools.

Or, in the case of Riolu or a Liepard with Assist, Roar/Whirlwind :V

hopefully gamefreak will nerf SR cause they seem to been doing well on other nerfs so far

nope, because gamefreak are dum.

they should make a priority flying move so a banded staraptor would take care of that oh wait whats staraptors tier

Staraptor is OU.

why is mawile a version Y exclusive?

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #727 on: October 04, 2013, 03:27:12 AM »
I was going to make a joke about the return of Azumarill but hey it's Water/Fairy now.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #728 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
charizard (non-Mega) - 78/84/78/109/85/100
ninetales - 73/76/75/81/100/100

You were saying? Mega-evolutions tend to have stat boosts in relevant statistics, and we can already see that Charizard is better than Ninetales in the stats where it counts - both of them have similar bulk (Ninetales 100 SpD isn't really relevant here) but Charizard is much better offensively. That it gets Drought gives it a significant boon over Ninetales, and while the W4 to Stealth Rock is a big discouraging factor that hasn't stopped people from running things like Moltres in OU as a pocket strat wallbreaker (not to mention Moltres isn't exactly unpopular in its home domain, RU, either)

I'm not convinced. Moltres is a different horse altogether, since a wallbreaker isn't typically something you're obligated to switch in and out a lot. Similarly Volcarona, since it's a lot easier to safely bring in a setup sweeper once than a weather setter a bunch of times. And again, limited experience with OU, but don't weather setters tend to be bulky? I've had a fair amount of success with bulky Charizard sets in NU, but that doesn't make great use of Charizard's offensive stats and doesn't mitigate its weakness to Stealth Rock much, especially since those sets tend to be Substitute-based and lean on Leftovers, which Megazard can never have.

A lot of that depends on what its final stats look like, though. If it really does get such a large boost that it can take down Politoed and Tyranitar in a straight fight then it won't have to switch as much, so the weakness will matter a lot less. I could see Sunny Day Drought sets working like they do with Ninetales I guess, in which case the boosted offenses matter a lot more. I certainly want it to be good, since as boring as auto-weather abuse teams are Charizard deserves to be able to do something cool.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #729 on: October 04, 2013, 05:44:55 AM »
If you are having trouble with stealth rocks, bring a spinner, kill their stealth lead, never worry about rocks again. If Volcarona did not have roost expect it never to be used on a team without a spinner, 50% off even if you're a sweeper sets you up to be hit by anything. PLUS you need a turn to set up, and there's not many situations where someone would switch out when they could possibly put Volcarona into priority range.

In a similar vein, if you take out the opponents auto you can set up your weather whenever you want. Neither Ninetales or Charizard is going to stand up against a Hydro Pump in rain, but maybe if you invest thoroughly in Sp. Def you might be able to survive one from a bulky Politoed set, because you know water is neutral against Charizard Y. Of course you could obviously predict the move and switch into Venusaur and then just Leech Seed or Giga Drain. In a weather team, you should expect not to win the weather war every time, so you can always throw in things which work in normal conditions like a Scizor, which gets OHKO'd by fire moves in normal weather or a Dugtrio to trap Ttar.

If you're worried about rocks, take care of them, simple as that. And when you're versing a normal team, then you get free Fire Blasts off Charizard. Ninetales is either run physically defensively for Will-o-Wisp or Specially Offensively to weaken priority targets of a team. Charizard looking at the stats, can probably pull both of these roles better.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:49:06 AM by Bio »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #730 on: October 04, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
OK, I caved, between X/Y and New Super Mario Bros 2 and the 2DS being cheaper than the 3DS thus invalidating my 'wait for January Sales for 3DS' I've just ordered a 2DS, NSMB2 and Pokemon Y.

Now I wait.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:54:10 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #731 on: October 04, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
If you are having trouble with stealth rocks, bring a spinner, kill their stealth lead, never worry about rocks again. If Volcarona did not have roost expect it never to be used on a team without a spinner, 50% off even if you're a sweeper sets you up to be hit by anything. PLUS you need a turn to set up, and there's not many situations where someone would switch out when they could possibly put Volcarona into priority range.

In a similar vein, if you take out the opponents auto you can set up your weather whenever you want. Neither Ninetales or Charizard is going to stand up against a Hydro Pump in rain, but maybe if you invest thoroughly in Sp. Def you might be able to survive one from a bulky Politoed set, because you know water is neutral against Charizard Y. Of course you could obviously predict the move and switch into Venusaur and then just Leech Seed or Giga Drain. In a weather team, you should expect not to win the weather war every time, so you can always throw in things which work in normal conditions like a Scizor, which gets OHKO'd by fire moves in normal weather or a Dugtrio to trap Ttar.

If you're worried about rocks, take care of them, simple as that. And when you're versing a normal team, then you get free Fire Blasts off Charizard. Ninetales is either run physically defensively for Will-o-Wisp or Specially Offensively to weaken priority targets of a team. Charizard looking at the stats, can probably pull both of these roles better.
uh you know there's a thing called a spin blocker right? :derp:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #732 on: October 04, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
pokemon x/y spoilers --> http://i.imgur.com/uWiUEMF.jpg (megacharizard X stats)

why i do say!

« Reply #733 on: October 04, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »
wait so since you can activate mega evolution at any time

you can use this to CHANGE YOUR TYPING IN BATTLE?

Oh look a water type

TOO BAD I'M HALF DRAGON NOW

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #734 on: October 04, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
why i do say!
It's outrageous imo.

I'm guessing the change in EXP has nothing to do with the form change?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:33:53 PM by BT »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #735 on: October 04, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
Wow, it just occurred to me that Sableye and Spiritomb have weaknesses now. Interesting. And am I correct in thinking that there is no longer a type combination with no weaknesses?

« Reply #736 on: October 04, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
electric with levitate is still no weak

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #737 on: October 04, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Wow, it just occurred to me that Sableye and Spiritomb have weaknesses now. Interesting. And am I correct in thinking that there is no longer a type combination with no weaknesses?

Wait, what weakness/resist did Ghost/Dark lose again?

Oh wait it's Fairy. Herp.

But yeah the Tynamo line is still NO WEAK.

Spoiler below is based on leaks; don't look if you don't want leak-based spoilers; this is something that makes me  ???. I know some more leaks  that I stumbled upon despite not wanting to stumble on them, but I'm not gonna post them for spoilers. This is a lot more minor and is more mechanics.

Spoiler:
Apparently there is a Fighting/Flying type. But that's not the only thing... there is a move which counts as both Fighting AND Flying type at the SAME TIME. That said Fighting and Flying don't share much coverage so we're not gonna see any x6 or x8 effectiveness or something crazy, although what would happen if you used this on a Psychic or Flying type? 3/4rds damage? And does it get double STAB or STAB only once?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:59:11 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

« Reply #738 on: October 04, 2013, 06:05:54 PM »
Furfrou is also almost no weak because of it's ability

its only weak to special fighting moves like focus blast and aura sphere

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #739 on: October 04, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »
rofl I love this thing (leak, spoilers)

« Reply #740 on: October 04, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »
so thats where i put them

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #741 on: October 04, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
electric with levitate is still no weak

I know it! Tynamo is special now. There are probably a few possible type/ability combinations that could remove all weaknesses. Scizor with Flash Fire?

Spoiler:
Apparently there is a Fighting/Flying type. But that's not the only thing... there is a move which counts as both Fighting AND Flying type at the SAME TIME. That said Fighting and Flying don't share much coverage so we're not gonna see any x6 or x8 effectiveness or something crazy, although what would happen if you used this on a Psychic or Flying type? 3/4rds damage? And does it get double STAB or STAB only once?

Hmm... I had heard rumors of that and was kind of afraid of it. Will reserve judgement until I see how it's implemented.

Spoiler:
If Muddy Water becomes Water/Ground it becomes like the craziest move ever, pending how a double type move actually works. I could see this being interesting if it's on a very few gimmick moves with low distribution, but if it becomes commonplace it could totally blow out certain types. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Furfrou is also almost no weak because of it's ability

its only weak to special fighting moves like focus blast and aura sphere

I don't even know what that is, but that sounds pretty cool.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #742 on: October 04, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »

:o

This. Is. My. Favorite. Pokemon. Now.

Maybe not top one, but seriously like top three. WOW.

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #743 on: October 04, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »

Saying "Pocket Monster" makes even more sense now! :V

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #744 on: October 04, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »

i want ooooone

i'm gonna be so pissed if it's ALSO a fucking Y exclusive because Y's getting all the good stuff :[

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #745 on: October 04, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
i want ooooone

i'm gonna be so pissed if it's ALSO a fucking Y exclusive because Y's getting all the good stuff :[
It's funny that you say that because a lot of people on other sites are saying the opposite. :V

(also, I'm avoiding spoilers that weren't released officially because of people getting the games way too early)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »
i want ooooone

You're fine, somebody will get you one. With a 3DS there should be no trouble at all getting everyone all of the exclusives.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #747 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
It's funny that you say that because a lot of people on other sites are saying the opposite. :V

(also, I'm avoiding spoilers that weren't released officially because of people getting the games way too early)

Agreeing. X has the coolest stuff [DragonZard, Fighting Mewtwo], although Y's is probobly more functional [See: Droughtzard]

I'm going for Y because I anticipate people will go X.

That and I like Screlp, and hate Swirlix.

Can't help but notice X seems to be leaning to physical [Fighting Mewtwo, DragonZard, Crab], and Y seems to be leaning to special.

Also I can't help but say I really really want an actually accessible for the main story Kangaskhan, and I would totally use one.

Very minor earlygame spoiler leak:

Spoiler:
Apparently Farfetch'd is earlygame as a trade. Oh the Gen 1 callbacks, between the Gen 1 starters and the return of the Farfetch'd trade

Also the leaks I saw pretty much gave away the gym types, aside from maybe #7, which isn't clear.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:29:30 PM by Raikaria »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
Agreeing. X has the coolest stuff [DragonZard, Fighting Mewtwo], although Y's is probobly more functional [See: Droughtzard]

I'm going for Y because I anticipate people will go X.

That and I like Screlp, and hate Swirlix.

Can't help but notice X seems to be leaning to physical [Fighting Mewtwo, DragonZard, Crab], and Y seems to be leaning to special.

Also I can't help but say I really really want an actually accessible for the main story Kangaskhan, and I would totally use one.

Very minor earlygame spoiler leak:

Spoiler:
Apparently Farfetch'd is earlygame as a trade. Oh the Gen 1 callbacks, between the Gen 1 starters and the return of the Farfetch'd trade

Also the leaks I saw pretty much gave away the gym types, aside from maybe #7, which isn't clear.

That's the thing though-- I really really want a Spritzee and Droughtzard sounds like a goddamn badass (hello, solarbeam). I won't deny that Dragonzard is pretty cool, though, so I guess I'll have fun with that. That and I personally like MegaMewtwoY's design more, I guess?

Well, either way it's true, we'll all make sure everyone's covered.

Oh, and whenever the daycare is available, we should all breed our starters and trade 'em around too (both Gen6 and Gen1 because why not). I'll be picking Fennekin for positive and Charmander as long as nothing cooler comes up with MegaVenusaur or MegaBlastoise, so anyone who picks otherwise can get them from me.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
So do we know anything about postgame stuff? I assume there's a Battle Tower variant, and a return of the PWT (hopefully larger brackets?) would be nice. I'd really like to see the Battle Factory return.