Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XV: No "No Misses" Edition  (Read 193040 times)

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XV: No "No Misses" Edition
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2012, 07:03:11 AM »
I hate A Fantasy's Transience. It is the Tongling Yoshika of Marine Benefit.

Looks doable enough, then starts spiking its difficulty up massively to somewhere near infinity until it's the hardest thing in the game to time out (or at least the hardest thing that's actually possible).

Except at least Tongling Yoshika didn't make you sit through a stupidly boring stage every time you wanted to attempt it.

I mean, seriously, I survive for 20 seconds and treat this as an amazing achievement, one which took me 80 freaking attempts to do - and the card as a whole lasts 44 seconds.

Meanwhile, I'm too much of an idiot to let it rest, so I just keep going with the shooting game equivalent of bashing my head against the wall.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:05:04 AM by Malkyrian »

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
hardest thing in the game to time out (or at least the hardest thing that's actually possible).
That shouldn't be too hard, because a timeout is literally running the clock down to zero, not necessarily doing so while pacifisting. Unless you're really sticking to pacifist by definition, that is. :/
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
Mokou's nonspells are a serious pain. Every other extra stage has utterly trivial nonspells, but Mokou's last one is a guaranteed bomb, and the next to last generally is as well.

As for Woo, if you don't mind being given the "answer," there's a technique to misdirect it that moved it from a never-capture to about 80% success for me:
Spoiler:
Shot 1: sit slightly left of center, half an inch off the bottom so the shots don't spawn into you. She'll then move left.
Shot 2: follow her left so the next shot fires straight down again. As soon as the shots pass you, run through the gap to the right wall and move up to near Mokou's height.
Shot 3-lots: As the mass of shots approach you, slowly move down the right wall then left. The majority of the bullets will spawn offscreen and go away. Move back to Shot 1 position and repeat.

I'd rather find the "right way" myself than read guides. Thanks anyway! Back to the spell practice for me...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:29:49 AM by Makedounia »
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
I'd rather find the "right way" myself than read guides. Thanks anyway! Back to the spell practice for me...

I like you for that attitude alone, keep it up!

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »

cool attitude. it's great fun figuring a boss out on your own (did that with EX-alice. my first clear was a NB too :V). keep it up. and as for woo, there are definitely more than one ways! I figured that one out on my own, too and I do it VERY differently. not saying more, though. have fun with it =)

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
cool attitude. it's great fun figuring a boss out on your own (did that with EX-alice. my first clear was a NB too :V). keep it up. and as for woo, there are definitely more than one ways! I figured that one out on my own, too and I do it VERY differently. not saying more, though. have fun with it =)

Yep, exactly this! Sometimes, you're just re-inventing the wheel, but on other occasions you'll find an even cooler new approach. If everyone just copied each other's strategies, things would be boring and no one would ever come up with something new.

« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

That's what I like in Koishi's first card. Almost everyone has their own way of streaming/dodging it. I confirmed it by watching all these somewhat recent Koishi Perfects, and iirc everyone dodged it with a slightly different strategy.

« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
Well I managed to capture woo 3 times today (never before). At least now I know how it's done. Now it's all up to my reflexes and dodging skills. I still have to practice more though. I should probably practice the extra stage so I could get second extend from point items.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »
(or at least the hardest thing that's actually possible).
And after seeing that I'm reminded of 9url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0FkEZXVqjk]thiis.[/url]

Anyway, during my PCB Sakuya attempt earlier, anytime I tried to initiate a deathbomb, the game would just not activate the bomb and I'd lose a life, and when it did work, it felt like there was a delay between pressing x and the bomb actually going off though anytime I bombed normally, the bomb activated normally like it should have, and it was this that cost me a 1CC on Yuyuko, well that and most of her non-spell cards kept ending up as clusterfucks at some point (I blame the bubble bullets for that :V) and a lot of clipdeaths.
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
Do you know that feeling when you fail something trivial in the early stages, decide to go on nonetheless and game over near the end with just "that one life" missing ?
Well, I have it.
"Something trivial" being Cirno's Perfect Freeze on normal mode.  :colonveeplusalpha:

Zil

« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
it felt like there was a delay between pressing x and the bomb actually going off
Are you using the vsync patch?

« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
Do you know that feeling when you fail something trivial in the early stages, decide to go on nonetheless and game over near the end with just "that one life" missing ?
Well, I have it.
"Something trivial" being Cirno's Perfect Freeze on normal mode.  :colonveeplusalpha:
Happened to me today...

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »
Happened to me today...
That is exactly why I reset on runs with early deaths.

Though I didn't with UFO lunatic, kept a Stage 2 stage portion death and nearly cleared anyway, without that death I would have bomb Byakuren's second spell for safety and probably cleared 0/0.
But I did with SA and kept my first no death stage 2 run, ended up clearing with 0 lives left, dying very close to the end of Utsuho's last card.

I just see it as "if it's easy to prevent this with a restart, why not prevent it?"

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
Are you using the vsync patch?
Not to my knowledge no, should probably give it a try.

Also was practising SA Stage 6 Normal with MarisaC trying to do a no bomb/no death run, and when I died I'd just restart. I restarted like 30 times and each and everytime, I would get clipped by something, even Youkai "Blazing Wheel" clipped me on 2 attempts... although at least during all that I pretty much have the stage memorised completely now, Utsuho on the other hand... I really wish there was a "Boss Practise Mode" so you arn't forced to redo the stage when you just wanna practise the boss :V
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2012, 01:22:01 AM »
I'm done with 90FPS. It's just way too fast for me and I can't read anything. There seem to be some patterns in PCB Lunatic that are just nearly impossible for me to do consistently at 90FPS because a whole mess of bullets spawn so close to your position that I have no idea how you're supposed to read them (Chen's first card and second midboss Alice's non-spell are the two things that instantly pop into my head). I can't read or make heads or tails of this. I think I'm going to take it down a notch to 75FPS. I get the feeling that I might have jumped a bit too high by starting at 90FPS even though my reflexes are crap.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
Okay, that's enough IN for one morning. I'm just too bad at Stage 3. I can do a perfect run until Midboss Keine, but then it all falls apart. ;_;
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »
Getting my ass kicked by Byakuren (again). I might have to do something I've never done before since I can't beat this game with continues. I'm going to 1cc U.F.O without beating the game first. I just can't beat that last spell...

« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »

Yes Seiga. I love you too.

« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
That is exactly why I reset on runs with early deaths.

Though I didn't with UFO lunatic, kept a Stage 2 stage portion death and nearly cleared anyway, without that death I would have bomb Byakuren's second spell for safety and probably cleared 0/0.
But I did with SA and kept my first no death stage 2 run, ended up clearing with 0 lives left, dying very close to the end of Utsuho's last card.

I just see it as "if it's easy to prevent this with a restart, why not prevent it?"
My 1cc's today had deaths vs. Chen and Mystia and then later Alice/Keine, although I guess these two games are just more forgiving.

I bet if you honestly stick to every run, even those where you die on stage 1, you'll get your 1cc's much quicker, although of course neither you nor I like that. :V Heck, I've restarted runs because I missed an item at the beginning of PCB stage 1. Or for accidentally killing the blue UFO fairy in UFO stage 1.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2012, 05:12:23 AM »
Marisa's missile explosion effects in TD. They add-blend, so they obscure bullets. REALLY fucking annoying on Tongling Yoshika and most of Stage 4.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:57 AM »
So, UFO Extra. "Danmaku Chimera." Two deaths to that and one to the nonspell before it.
Why do I fail so badly at that card?
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:16 AM »
How are you tackling it?

Also, 90FPS completely ruined my Fujiyama Volcano history. It's gone from 2/9 to 2/45. What the butts, man.

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2012, 04:21:01 AM »
Chimera has the most annoying sort of difficulty - if you mess it up, there's just no way to bomb, because you ran straight into something yourself. Whether or not I capture that card seems to be my primary factor on whether I survive the stage.

« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »
Fuck, I can't even do 1MNB on EoSD Extra. Why do I always die into something random + QED? The random thing can be either the stage, Kagome Kagome or Starbow Break. When I finally managed to not die in one of these, I ran into a bullet in And There Will be None, plus the unavoidable death at QED. That the motherfuck, really.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
wriggle, don't feel bad about it. when I was perfecting UFO extra, I never had a 1MNB run. I always died to 2 things until I got the run. until now I din't manage to only die once.

maybe it's the same for you and you will NMNB the stage without ever doing a 1MNB

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
I just made it to Nue's timeout without losing a single life... then lost one at the end of it which I normally do fine. That shattered my nerve and I proceeded to die twice and bomb three times on Grudge Bow, which is normally a single bomb for me  :wat:

« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
iuqergqdhfhngjsdf  :flamingv:

Curse you, stupid computer, for ruining all my runs since yesterday with your ghosting keys.
Died to Release of the Id because of it, just as I thought I would capture it for the first time...

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »
Goes into Kanako's last card with three lives. Leaves with none. I got cocky. At least I cleared it.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:40 AM »
AHHAAHA!! Oh gods no, how the hell did I manage this poorly?  :(

PCB Lunatic. No-bombs. Game over on Yuyuko's streaming shit. Entered Yuyu with 4 or 5 lives idk. Lost them all at her. Lost two lives to Prismrivers too as well as three to Youmu. I already have a no-bombs 1cc of this game but that one is utter shit too so i'm not happy about this yet. Problem is just that I don't enjoy PCB that much so getting a satisfactory run is seemingly impossible.

The two lives I lost on Prismriver Sisters were on their first spell and their third spell. Neither of those are hard in ANY way. Yet I managed to screw it up. How? How is it possible to be so fail? I dunno, it makes me depressed. I'm going to read some loli manga to make me happy again. Ciao.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2012, 02:57:43 AM »
maybe it's because it's almost 4.00 am, zengeku. at least if you played just now, anyway. my performance always drops at around 1.00 am :V