Author Topic: Are you a DARK FLAME MASTER enough dude to CHUUNIBYOU this thread?  (Read 71315 times)

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: Are you a DARK FLAME MASTER enough dude to CHUUNIBYOU this thread?
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2012, 12:49:39 AM »
Oh dear lord this episode. ;-;

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Formless God

« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
Spoiler:
All you had to do was follow the damn train.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2012, 05:23:20 AM »
Spoiler:
Why did I jump on the train so late.

I could've had a few more weeks to go all hnnnng and d'oh and such.

Now I just want to cry.
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2012, 02:01:50 AM »
Spoiler:
When someone makes such face, you're clearly doing something wrong, and the least you can do is to try to talk about it.

And if stopping chuunibyou means losing your entire personality, it doesn't seem worth it. Perhaps just faking being normal while still believing in the Unseen Horizon in her mind would have been less destructive...

pineyappled

« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2012, 02:36:02 AM »
Spoiler:
this is like serenity

except not awful

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2012, 05:38:53 AM »
Spoiler:
Yuuta you idiot

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Interesting how they handle it.
Spoiler:
The bleak opening fit well. It shows how all fun and colour is gone from Rikka's life after her fantasies were aborted. Her extreme dependency on Yuuta is saddening, as her entire confidence was just smashed by Yuuta. Feels bad man. Luckily Yuuta'll DARK FLAME MASTER her before the end of the series.

Mark my words.

pineyappled

« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
I'd just wanna smack Yuuta one for not just eloping already. damn Japanese and their small ass dreams of falling in love... EHAGDJHAGJHGAS
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »
I marathoned this show over two days and ahh I'm kicking myself for not picking it up sooner. haven't laughed this much in a while.

it reminds me of my youth too and has got me remembering things but I'd been thinking about these kinds of memories before I'd even heard of this show. my nephew (he's 6) likes playing these evil eye kind of games lately and he always asks me to join in when I'm over to visit. we've built up a small collection of swords and daggers (ranging from the kind you get in a lego set (it's like two inches long) to a plastic katana) to fight with. we've got a secret base too.

I had some evil eye type friends in primary school, my little group had some fantasy that nobody actually really explained to me but I played a gatekeeper and all I did was sit on a bench and the password to get back into our base was just the lord's prayer and it was quite tedious to listen to every day especially because I was an atheist. I preferred to play house, chill out or read.

there were three playgrounds in my primary school. one for the nursery, one for everybody up to year 3 and then one for years 4-6. everybody really grew out of playing games once we got into year four though, but the girls all still played house during the summers. then we all formed secret societies in our last year. by high school all traces of this kind of behaviour had gone so I don't know how chuuni my life has been because it all happened several years earlier than it apparently should do but maybe us going to high school at aged 11 is why we snap out of it at a younger age.

the relationship between touka (♥), rikka and sanae hits way too close to home though for reasons totally unrelated to childhood delusions sighhhhhh. I have been torn between smiling like an idiot at things like their mutual confession and wishing everybody Rikka knew had stopped enabling her sooner. this is getting a bit too lettyjournal so enough about my life.

Spoiler:
stupid stupid yuuta

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
Spoiler:
Bromin-senpai.
In the end, this is what I think Chuu2 is best for. Outright denying reality with it is just unhealthy, but this...this is fine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:17:41 PM by Kanzaki.RAmrako »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Spoiler:
I couldn't have asked for a better ending! ;-;

Spoiler:
Plus, Broshiki taking one for the team was hilarious.

Bardiche

« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »
I was actually disappointed by the ending.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2012, 02:42:30 AM »
Spoiler:
I'm pretty pleased with the ending! I figured there'd be a fair amount of things left to think about given that it was an adaptation of 2 novels into only 12 episodes, but I think given that the anime as a whole was really great! If anything it was a bit vague, and I don't feel sure as to whether Yuuta is encouraging her to pretend all the time or if they've actually achieved a balance of still enjoying being ridiculous but dealing with life at the same time. I would have liked to see some sort of time skip scene, even something really short, to make that clearer. Then again, vague as hell endings are all the rage nowadays.

Honestly, Nibutani seems like the character that best shows a balance of chuuni elements and elements on normalcy in her life, without completely giving up one for the other. But yes the ending was adorable and oh my gosh Rikka is so cute! :3 (all the girls are so cute)

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:49 AM »
Also I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I think the light novels are very different from the anime. I know at least that Kumin, Dekomori, and Tooka are anime-only characters.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Hmm, not sure how I feel about the ending. It wasn't great but at the same time I'm not sure what I would've done differently. Ending a story is hard D:

I did really like the way
Spoiler:
Rikka got some closure with her father, since that's really what's important in an ending I think, closure. But I think I would've preferred Yuuta showing up at Rikka's place in full badass Dark Flame Master mode instead of crumpled in an exhausted pile and running from cops and shit (everyone else showing up at the last minute there was pretty forced).

I guess it was alright, overall.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »

I think this right here is the central theme of the entire series. It's why "BANISHMENT THIS WORLD" keeps being shouted all the time - being chuuni is a declaration to the world that you reject the reality presented to you. What I like about the real message, though, is that accepting reality is not as important as being true to yourself. Or more accurately, being true to yourself is the best way to accept reality on your own terms.

This was pointed out when Yuuta started grilling Dekomori about her "powers", basically telling her they're all fake. Her tearful cry of "I know that!" is a less eloquent way of saying "I'm aware I cannot actually summon a giant hammer out of thin air, you idiot; this is me having fun with this boring reality!"

"Growing up" does not mean completely casting aside your ability to fantasize, play and invent; it means accepting that you will always do these things, and for all its faults, it's in fact healthy to do this - it helps us soften the blow of reality and deal with how things really are in our own way.

As for the ending,
Spoiler:
yes, the entire cast showing up to chip in with the Great Escape was a bit shoehorned, and I really wish we hadn't had some old dude narrator explaining to us the message of the series in its final moments. But like Stuffman, I think this was the best possible outcome otherwise. We know from Episode 1 that Yuuta and Rikka are going to end up together - that's not the tension - the tension, which is between fantasy and reality itself, is resolved through a negotiated truce; you accept reality, but you also need to accept yourself.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
---being chuuni is a declaration to the world that you reject the reality presented to you.

...So wait---Adam Savage from Mythbusters is a chuuni? :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:35 PM »
I'm almost sorry.

Almost.

:V

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2012, 04:49:50 AM »
So that's it. I have mixed feelings about the ending, but we could say that for so many franchises, probably. The
Spoiler:
closure about the death
was good, but everything else felt really up in the air. Anyone have ideas on what the ending clip with the
Spoiler:
alternate encounter with Rikka
might've meant?

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
Anyone have ideas on what the ending clip with the
Spoiler:
alternate encounter with Rikka
might've meant?

Spoiler:
Of course. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQcQtyUpth0

Directly skip to 0:53, you need to have basic understanding of Japanese though.

Bardiche

« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »
That was
Spoiler:
an alternate ending? I thought it meant things went back to the status quo.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »
I watched the last four episodes today. While it was obvious what would happen (partly due to this thread), it was a good end overall.

I'm kinda glad this series came along, since it displays something that I believe to be missing from the "mainstream culture" (as I like to call it nowadays), while most people I believe to be just the same, but are afraid of showing it. I know, I'm afraid of showing as well, since it gave me so much trouble.

Maybe it's just over here, but the culture I'm coming from somehow very much has this notion of "you must grow up and act like an adult" from very early age on - after all, we had a culture where people were supposed to have job when they are 16 and get married when they are 20. This is what I always got from my parents and from others. I was hated in secondary school because I wasn't "grown up" like the others who were just drinking and partying. How boring.
In university, I wanted to make friends, yet they told me "we don't play those childish video games". And I was furious. Yet, I've seen them playing and believing in such "childish" stuff, when they thought no "authority" was present. Why do people do this, I wonder? Why do I feel all embarrassed when I'm waiting for a class, yet no one is yet there and I start to play out stuff in my head, and then someone shows up and almost sees me? Why is that our culture somehow is against the creativity of our own fantasy and beliefs (yet seemingly is okay with beliefs that are institutionalized and used to replace this creativity with their own) so much? Being called as "childish", like to force us to be like "adults", not knowing that to be a true adult, you have to be a child first.

This series basically shows all this. All the "secret" of many many people out there. The "secret" of coping with reality, coping with its blandness, its sadness, coping with the fact that we are one of many other. And while this series is as clich?d as it can be, it's overlying message is actually very good. As I always say, the world is not gray, but of many colors. And you choose the colors of painting it.

(Holy shit that was emotional! I was feeling quite meh nowadays, but now I'm in full Christmas mood I think! Also I should have inserted that C.S. Lewis quote there but oh well!)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:35:52 PM by Solais »

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #175 on: December 25, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »
Perhaps its just me, but I firmly believe that emotions you feel during nighttime is amplified, thus I always watch my watchlist and VNs only during the night so that I might enjoy them to the fullest. Chunnibyou is no exception, and I find that the ending is actually
Spoiler:
a very steep emotional roller coaster (especially so if you actually watched the misleading preview) and it very nearly brought me to tears. Oddly, I find the ''Old Narrator's" voice rather calming and not really annoying at all, but that's only imo.

I did consider the possibility that the old narrator could actually be Yuuta reflecting back on his life though, and telling us a story from a long time ago. Perhaps that's another reason why I don't really feel irritated by his presence?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #176 on: December 25, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »
I think so too, that emotions are amplified in the nighttime, since most of the time you're alone and a little tired to "protect" your emotional barriers.

Gensokyo Dreadnought

• Fantastic Dreadnought o' War
  • Ran said no more capitalism...
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »
I feel so bad for missing out on this anime. It's pretty hyped-up although not in the sense like Sword Art Online.  :V

I should watch this soon enough. If this could span 6 pages of replies then I guess it's worth a shot.  :3

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »
I feel so bad for missing out on this anime. It's pretty hyped-up although not in the sense like Sword Art Online.  :V

I should watch this soon enough. If this could span 6 pages of replies then I guess it's worth a shot.  :3

I watched SAO in like, two sittings. I didn't start it until episode 24 got released. I started chuunibyou from episode 6 or so. It was so much more enjoyable waiting each week for the next episode.

You must watch chuunibyou, my personal favorite this year. You'll probably end up watching it in 1 sitting. If an anime is good, I can typically watch around 12-14 episodes at one go.

Gensokyo Dreadnought

• Fantastic Dreadnought o' War
  • Ran said no more capitalism...
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »
I watched SAO in like, two sittings. I didn't start it until episode 24 got released. I started chuunibyou from episode 6 or so. It was so much more enjoyable waiting each week for the next episode.

You must watch chuunibyou, my personal favorite this year. You'll probably end up watching it in 1 sitting. If an anime is good, I can typically watch around 12-14 episodes at one go.

Well, I only watched SAO until episode 11 right before the climax for that game. Derpy decision and it's due to nonsensical reasons too.  :V

Regarding Chuunibyou, yeah I think I'll take it from the guy downstairs soon. Everywhere that is anime-related I go people keep mentioning Chuunibyou (sometimes even more than SAO) and how they're gonna be sad that it's going to end soon.  :3