Author Topic: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! R.I.P CrossedHorns: (BAD END)  (Read 39696 times)

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Spring 112
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
Boy in the midst of trying to make my deadline.... this last season got ugly.... and boy do I mean UGLY!!!

Also as a heads up there will be no interemission for the upcoming year. So when I give the save the next player can proceed.... if they dare wish to...

I'll have to say one thing.... I'm more use organizing larger groups. As handling smaller numbers follow the first year is like a weakness.... as an end result. Things have gotten pretty ugly. I just hope you all can find a way to handle it...

So I will just say... I'm sorry..... orz

I'll have this posted up later tonight or tomorrow morning.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Spring 112
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
Winter update!

First Month of Winter Day 3

I got word that the biokkuris couldn't stand up too well against ]the zombie threat eventually. They seem the handle the first few waves fine, but eventually they too fell victim. some retreated, while others have become part of the army of the dead.

As of the current count, there is 65 undead creatures in the area. The only thing I can do is continue what I have been doing for a while now…. wait and smash them to try to lower their numbers….

First Month of Winter Day 8

What's this? A dangerous human, what kind of lunacy is this? I could understand if this was a terrifying beast, but this here is nothing more than an ordinary human that I was warned about as if it was a threat. Whatever, the problem is not worth the time, and the human ran off in a panic….

First Month of Winter Day 12

Kedama sure are fast, I didn't even know this one sneaked into the fort till now… now that I think about it, didn't we kill one sometime ago INSIDE the fort?! I thought it was taken care of!

First Month of Winter Day 14

The Kedama managed to kill some small livestock and I the squad happen to beat the thing down eventually. We need to get rid of the bodies right away!

First Month of Winter Day 27
The remaining notes are written by Mayor Patchouli….

Totaku, Nekorex and Patchy are dead after a massive mishap with corpses and trying to manage the bridge went horribly wrong. Population is 22 now. The troops were sent to take care of theca mishaps.

Corpses that need to be taken care of consist of a goat, a kedama, and NekoRex.
Second Month of Winter Day 3

I learned that our miner Ellor somehow got outside, this is rather stance if you ask me since I was unsure how he got outside in the first place.

In an attempt to get Ellor back we open the bridge, but we had smash the zombies that were coming in, just then GoombaGeek, and 2 other Suikas made a B line to the atom smasher and killed themselves…

It was then I decided the Ellor was doomed thus I decided we need to close the bridge and forget about him. We had too many mishaps…. we can't afford anymore

Second Month of Winter Day 9

We could hear Ellor's screams from above, he had fallen victim to the zombies… it is sad we couldn't save him…

Second Month of Winter Day 12

I decided to take Mokou power out of the military so he could have time to cool down. He has been looking very depressed lately with the events that were unfolding...

Second Month of Winter Day 15

Mokou flew into a range and ripped out lever out of the lever room. Thankfully it was one of the useless ones...

Second Month of Winter Day 17

Omba destroyed one of the brewery in a fit of rage…. I've made orders to have the station repaired as soon as possible.

Second Month of Winter Day 26

Neko Rex's body was not properly dumped, thankfully Mokou Power (who was off duty) managed to beat it up easily while in a fit of rage. Which I found quite surprising!

Last month of Winter Day 1

Dr. Purvis is busy treating everyone from the fist fights. I'm aware we need to consider getting some control in this establishment, but everyone is getting worked up and tensions are mounting inside our home. I really hope this doesn't not result into disorder!

Last month of Winter Day 8

Hideiki and decided to attack me in a fit of rage. I was lucky to survive because Omba managed to get to him and beat him senseless with his shield till she fell. I have been taken to the hospital since then and I'm in a lot of pain, but I must continue to write to preserve the history of this Fortress...

Last month of Winter Day 14

Kapaa Carvans have arrived and thankfully it's within a safe zone for once, so maybe we will get out supplies inside for once!

Last month of Winter Day 20

All but one made it in and that one got destroyed by the zombies, so the kappas packed up and left… this is not good as we haven't had a single trade with anyone this year…

End of the year…

I lay here in bed, Dr. Purvis told me that I needed to be treated for broken legs and a broken arm. He told me I will ne using a crutch for the next few years since the injuries are pretty bad….

Though I wonder if this fort will ever get back to normal….

So far…

3 levels were destroyed, one that was useless and one that lowered the bridge in the underground cavran and one that was to one of the bridges that acted as a seal ( the middle one)

One murder happened as well

And out of everyone alive in the fort.

Only Dr. Purvis, the current Suika Militia are currently sane under the tense pressure. Mokou Power seems to be recovering, as for the rest, everyone is in a very depressed state….At this rate, the only way we will survive is if migrants come…… we really need them….

There, the file is set! Captain Archmage, it is now your turn....

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzq73mqb00j2l0g

You're going to have a lot of work to handle since we are in the midst of what could be a tantrum spiral.

Also there is no intermission, meaning right now Seiga and Nitori's quest are your only priority.

Good luck, cause you're going to need it!

also once again... I'm so sorry... orz

Also I'm signing up again.

And I'm also there's a Suika miner I forgot to name, you can name yourself to be that Suika if you wish Captain archmage
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:16:29 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
  • Apathy is a powerful mehtivator.
Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Spring 113
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
Oh crap. Am I dead or insane?

Totaku

« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
Oh crap. Am I dead or insane?

I thought I made it clear, you died by going against the orders of the fortress burrow command and decided that you must go under the bridge, thus you and 2 other Suikas died via atom smashing.
Now I Twitter

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
Nooooo now I can't even nom on other people's brains!

Totaku

« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Nooooo now I can't even nom on other people's brains!

Sorry I made an error, I mistaken you as Goomba Geek..

You are actually currently still holding on, but are VERY MISRIBALE. so you could crack at any given time.
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
Oh man, can we possibly survive this?
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Power

• The power is within you. :D
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
How depressed I'm I compared to everybody else?  Also did I do anything else useful while I was depressed?

Totaku

« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2012, 10:27:06 PM »
How depressed I'm I compared to everybody else?  Also did I do anything else useful while I was depressed?

You killed a zombie in your depressed state... with your bare hands while in a tantrum. :P

On the plus side though, your recovering. You've gone from miserable to very unhappy which means you'll likely soon be free from your depression. After you take your rage out on some more things.... maybe. All depends on what Captain Archmage has in mind for you.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
CaptainArchMage,

I've come to notify you that it is now Day 4 on the timer and you haven't posted a report yet. I wanted to inform you this in advance since I wanted to keep you in touch with the fact you still have to follow the guidelines that are given.

As usual, you have till the end of the Thursday to complete the task, and if needed you can request for a two day extension.

please remember that you must complete a year's time and post the full report, season by season.

Also here's a filler by GoombaGeek to quench your appitites while you wait...

Meanwhile Komachi sets off down the brook to collect the souls of the dead and fix the re-animation problem.

"CHANGE OF PLANS GUYS"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:05:25 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
Am I still alive?

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
When FPS gets too low, will we turn off temperature to avoid FPS death?

Totaku

« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2012, 05:56:52 AM »
Err, I think it might be important to post this since it's of importance regarding Archmage's situation:

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
As it is I'm not yet done with Granite... we're at around 30 FPS now though, so that's an improvement. I may need to ask for an extension, but I'll know closer to the day.

I think I'm going to remove the coffers from the hospital, since suikas keep shoving thread in there when other stuff needs doing.

In other news, I'm not going to be getting rid of the non-harmful ghosts. I've almost confirmed that ghosts can get suikas pregnant under certain circumstances, which is a good thing since the aboveground is crawling with undead and we aren't really getting any migrants.

We've also got some vile slime in the hospital now (as of 15th Granite), and the cleaning staff keep rioting, preventing the mess from being cleaned up.

Some of the miserable suikas (i.e. myself) aren't actually rioting at all (probably because of personality or not caring about anything anymore), but I don't know how long we'll last anyway. If we have a few more suikas, we could probably clean up more easily in here.

Well I think I said it before back in the beginning, but if you are really having complications we can consider using DF hack if the FPS is really becoming too slow for us the handle.

I have a high end computer here so in my game, it runs at 60 FPS, but I can understand if others here are running slower.

The only catch is, we MUST use DF hack ONLY to boost the FPS. Nothing more! Thus why we must mostly agree that this will be the option we must choose.

I talked with Syanas already, and she and I agree that we vote yes, to using DF hack. But only if we REALLY NEED to.

I say I'm going to allow options to be open here to ask if anyone else thinks we should use DF hack to help boost the FPS.
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
No matter what we do I expect to hit an FPS wall on my turn again, although I happen to have enough free time that shouldn't be an issue.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
Downloaded the save and the game runs at 38fps avarage for me.

Seems like the right time to use DF hack fps improvements.

Totaku

« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
Am I still alive?

Last time I checked in my save you were, I think, just misriable.

Anyways....

Extension granted to CaptainArchmage by request!

Also since most of us seem to be leaning in favor of this, I'll go ahead and say feel free to wipe out all clothes, toys, mugs, ect on the surface, leave armor weapons and bars alone. See if that boosts the FPS up significantly.
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »
Body parts as well, assuming nothing has died in the Evil Zone recently

Totaku

« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
I'm here to remind you that you are now entering the 2 day Extension period CaptainArchMage.

I will need you to get the report and to give me your status. As it has been a week now and no actual gameplay reports. (other than being stuck in Granaite back long ago)

You will be required to complete your run by Sunday at 9 AM [Central Time]. (as I had been a bit busy slightly messed up on the deadline)

So please have it ready by then.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
Well, it's 6 hours past the deadline, and no sign, or word from him.... I was hoping he at least drop the save or something....

I think I can say that because of the rules, his turn is now null and void. (though if he did managed to get a save from post DF hacking saved, I might accept it...)

With that, though, I'm going to say this...

GoombaGeek, it's now your turn! You're going to have to deal with the calamity that is before you....

You will have till Sunday of this time to complete the work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzq73mqb00j2l0g Good luck and God Speed!
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »
A message from Captain Archmage....

Whoops sorry, I got confused between AM and PM for some reason, and the FPS and Real Life events held me back. I've got a post DF hacked save available if you want it at: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6932

Here's the reports:

WHAT IS THIS WITCHERY? So apparently Suika Fortress runs faster, even with operational graphics pack, on DF in WINE.

Spring:

As Archmage, I have called down my magics clean the surface up. All the slime has been wiped up, and I'm having it wiped when it gets too thick. I've also had some of the junk on the surface transported to the 'smasher. There's a lever for atomsmashers, but I could not find the atomsmashers so I used the main gate instead.

Well we managed to get in a bunch of migrants. Our population is no longer ridiculously low. Unfortunately, some pieces of corpses got tracked in, so we had a few zombie incidents. The current incarnation of Totaku is a militia commander, and helped clean up the mess. Also, Anthy dehydrated and we had him or her taken to the tombs. Or the garbage stockpile, somewhere where (s)he won't be moving around much. I shut down the hospital, since apparently that means "grab every single piece of cloth and shove it in there." We have more important things to do.

I've also forbidden all the corpses, since the Suikas seem to want to haul them around more than necessary.

Morale has improved, but Totaku is now miserable for some reason or other.

Note: I DF hacked some water around Totaku in order to dislodge her. There was some kind of freaky bug where she was getting all kinds of jobs but never ended up going anywhere, trapped in the entrance hallway. I also confiscated a plump helmet she had (I've fixed the stuff on the squads list). She got moving when I deconstructed the bridge she was standing on, and got something to drink. Nothing was really gained or lost besides the bridge, which was connected up to some lever (no idea which one) and deconstructed by normal means. I have no idea whether this was a bug or what - no burrows or alerts were in place. It had me bothered for a bit that we had an everlasting-in-stasis Suika there.

I'm going to smash up more of the surface junk to get more FPS - we're still around 30-50, which is really slow.

In other news, we're building a new depot which can be airlocked off from the rest of the fortress. This should force traders to make the right decisions when they come to the fort.

Patchoulli is up and about. However, a ghost attack incapacitated one of our mini-suikas. F@ck, I've had an incompetent engrave a slab for the ghost. I need to put in an order for crutches.

Interestingly, Patchoulli hasn't made any mandates yet.

A caravan arrived on the surface, along with a bunch of ambushes. I'm going to sit this one out.

Summer:

The undead wiped out most of the ambushers, however, there are still some camped outside on the non-slimy part.

I'm having a tunnel dug for caravans to use.

So I guess we can let Goomba Geek continue on from Archmage's save? Hopefully he can get things done in a year and a half.
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2012, 02:56:11 AM »
I wish I got 30 FPS on these saves :/

You people don't have to deal with 9FPS games like I do

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
9fps after the cleanup? Painful... so yeah, most useless advice ever, but it might be a good time to get an upgraded compy.

Which can actualy be done fairly cheaply if you dont care to play the newest games on highest settings too. All you need for DF is a faster processor after all (provided you got enough memory).

Though I doubt any of that will happen in the next few weeks, which is when the new round of turns rolls around.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
I was being general. This particular fort gives me like 5 FPS due to the size of the embark

I'm broke, otherwise that's one of the first things I'd be buying.

Totaku

« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
Update from Goomba Geek...

First it was a cave crocodile.

Then a drawbridge.

This is no way to run a dubiously related clan of stone-crafters.

When did I even get here? I don't remember. Am I dead?

No.

Well, okay. Let's look around. Who's alive?

Twenty-one suikas. That's abysmal. That's terrible. But maybe that's enough.

Our bookkeeper worked some spell to destroy everything on the surface. Apparently it was too hard on his eyes. Ever since then, he's been walking around complaining of a headache. And he was our last overseer.

Some guy says he's the "Soul of the Warp" and should be re-instated as captain. I call him a bloody nuisance. It looks like a large number of our suikas have legendary skills. I guess that's how they survived this place. Well, I'm no stranger to that. Ever since I made that horn, it's like every rock just crafts itself under my hands. Well, we had a little meeting about who should be in charge here.

"Captain Archmage, do you-"
"Ow! Damn! Migraine!"
"What about you, High Zealot?"
"I am the warp."
"Yes, and what do you do?"
"I plumb the abyss no mortals dare tread. I alone comprehend the vast infinities of beyond. I am the warp."
"Come back when you're ready to actually work, buddy. Anyone else have any objections?"
"As a legendary tanner, I feel that-"
"Real work."
"Tanning is real work! What else keeps all these skins from coming alive and smothering us?!"
"Real work."

Outside is a hellhole. A few zombies roam about, eating kedamas. Moaning comes from a deep trench. But inside is all clear, it seems. For now. However, our entry defenses consist of a bizarre arrangement of drawbridges hooked up to a roomful of levers. Well, at least someone was thinking clearly for a second when they worked up the collective effort to make an aqueduct providing us with fresh water. Now then, we have some entrance fortifications to rebuild. We've got a 5x5 square of cage traps. Cage traps?! We have a legendary mechanic and he'll be risking his life to carry off a lock of animated hair in a cage during a siege? Too much effort! This year, we're getting a new pit full of zombies, and my plan is absolutely flawless. No way it can go wrong.

Pictures to come.
Now I Twitter

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
I've been changed into a crazy guy. Tzeentch must be proud of me.

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2012, 08:00:20 AM »
...changed?

Totaku

« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »
Here's another report from Goomba Geek!

Quote from: GoombaGeek
After a quick tour of this place, I see an astonishing amount of effort dedicated to a grand entrance hall and a few lavishly engraved and designed rooms. This seems odd, because we only have 21 citizens left. On the other hand, when the undead aren't murdering the populace and the zombie sealed under the floor ("Kikrost", they said) isn't clawing at the walls it's surprisingly peaceful in here. Sure, there are clothes everywhere, but our farms are doing great and with such a low population we can last a while. Usually we get some migrants in the spring, but I don't see them yet. Hopefully they'll bring some stone-masons so we can colonize the surface and bring a new reign of peace and prosperity to Crossedhorns.

Meanwhile, the three-slit experiment is being set up, and so is "The Grinder". A giant block of swooshy weapon traps works, but does it have style? No! I plan on sealing off the entrance and re-working this section with lots more pointy spikes and better. Of course, weapon traps cause zombies, and they can jam. Luckily, sitting one z-level below the entrance is an infinite source of groundwater, and further below is a cavern. I think we can work something out involving drainage and auto-cleaning - although it would make the first cavern layer more or less uninhabitable (unless zombies are less tough than I thought - they'll be getting lots of fall damage). Once the defenses are up to snuff, we can focus on making some nifty towers and whatnot.

Migrants.

There were maybe ten.

Only one got in.

Out of two who were competent with a hammer, a few markssuikas, and some farmers, do you know who made it?

Do you?

A fish dissector.

Through some horrible twist of fate, at least seven noble suikas died trying to fight their way into the only place they could ever call home, and yet once the dust clears, all we see is a fish dissector, a useless burden on society, treading on the broken backs of his fallen comrades, probably whistling merrily too, and waltzing into our main gates just before the drawbridge slams shut and seals his few surviving friends' fate.

The reason? We have two entrances in the same hill. For no reason whatsoever! I'm sealing off the top one. In fact, the most worthwhile thing I could do this year would be to dig tunnels to the map edges, openable from inside, so our migrants can start surviving. This is how we regain enough strength to do anything.

EDIT: We also lost some nameless farmer, so we're still at 21 suikas.

Now I Twitter

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
Convince the dissecter that the undead crawling about are fish.
???
Profit!

Totaku

« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
The only named death so far is AaronIII, actually. Nobody else is even slightly unhappy.

I keep getting impressed by all the grand dining rooms and multi-level constructions. It means I don't have to waste any time on non-diabolical non-traps :P

So to protect the MigrantKwik(tm) entry tunnels, I'll be using two bridges hooked up to different levers and two Hatch Grinders. The design of a Grinder is something I got off the wiki, and it rocks:

?^^^?

The hatch covers are hooked up to the pressure plates, so when Bogey 1 steps over the hatch cover and on the first plate, here's what happens:

?^^?

Of course, he doesn't care, because he isn't going that way, but in his blind rush forward, he steps on the trap and takes damage. Then he steps on the next plate...

?^^?

Onoez! Abort! Turn around! He goes over the trap again, until...

?^^?

So, every non-flier non-trapavoid creature that paths in will go back and forth until an impact knocks it into a pit below or kills it (watch out: overly heavy/powerful traps may knock it into the fortress). The pit will be self-contained, although for added kicks we can hook it up to the Main Flusheroo (it's called that now, because I made/initiated/am still making it so I get to name it) so that all our zombies end up in one place.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
I notified Goomba Geek as of 2 PM today he had one day to complete his run... he notified me with this in a post on the board....
Right, right, sorry.

I'll work on it. I probably won't finish all the engineering before next spring, but I have managed to pare us down to one entrance inside the pit-moat (which was a great idea). What we really need, other than map tunnels, are traps on the only way across the moat to knock zombies in. Unfortunately nobody can successfully create them without getting murdered.

I sure hope he has a juicy story coming up with this, and if he needs an extension, he knows who to ask...
Now I Twitter