Author Topic: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Mankind is still in decline.  (Read 25859 times)

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Mankind is still in decline.
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »

I optimistically estimate myself as one of among perhaps seven people in the world who were looking forward to this anime series. It's based on a novel series by a guy named Romeo Tanaka, who mainly works on visual novels- those who enjoy them might have read Kana ~Imouto~, Cross Channel, or Yume Miru Kusuri, all of which he had a hand in. He's considered one of the best (if not the best) writer in that industry, and when he decided to try his hand at a novel series the results were... unique, to say the least.

Though I have it on good authority the original novels are excellent, I was a bit worried about how the anime would turn out- Seiji Kishi's most recent directorial efforts have been spotty and the other staff members have unimpressive work histories. The first episode shows promise, though. Reactions to it seem evenly divided between "Boring," "WTF did I just watch?" and "This actually has some pretty clever dark humor and social commentary."

Ain't much to discuss yet - other than headless chickens and suicidal bread - but this show is one to give a try if you haven't yet or weren't intending to. Plot summaries invariably fail to make it sound interesting, but if the GIF above doesn't pique your curiosity at all, you might be a robot. The promo video is pretty special too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:46:04 PM by Seventh Holy Scripture »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: This one isn't for chickens.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »
Saw ep 1 last night, enjoyed it.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »
Ahahahaha yes, have to agree with 7hs that the original novels were good stuff; though I haven't actually gotten around to seeing the first episode yet.

I should do that though!

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
Ah, very cool, a recommendation! I was actually planning on hitting my backlist this season because everything looked like it was full of suck and fail. The plot doesn't really jump out at me, but hell, at this point I'll give it a chance - the only series I'll be following once Mouretsu Pirates is over is Hyouka.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
this sounds positively hilarious in a dark way, and I like dark humor.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
I wasn't too impressed at first since it seemed like it'll go in a "oh god humanity is raping the planet so it must die out!!!1" direction, but the suicidal bread scene convinced me to keep watching it for now.
If it doesn't go into preachy overdrive I'll probably stick with it, if only because this season has pretty much nothing else that seems interesting.

Seventh Holy Scripture

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
"oh god humanity is raping the planet so it must die out!!!1"

Yeah, I don't think that's what it was going for - more like "humanity lost the ability and the will to survive." The girls didn't want to kill the chickens even when they all wanted to eat them. The men didn't want to kill the chickens because they thought their time was better spent hunting, even though there's nothing to be hunted. And nobody wants to eat the plentiful fairy food (they aren't wrong to be suspicious of it, but they may very well not have a choice.)

Some things about the situation weren't explained thoroughly - is farming still possible? Is this food shortage a truly dire thing or a matter of "oh dear, we'll all have to become vegetarians?" - but I think it's intended as an observation of the direction our current society is leading. If you were to go out and ask ten people off the street to kill a chicken, how many of them would do it without hesitation?

I'm really going to have to sit down with the books soon and see if my Japanese has become good enough to get anything out of them, odds are the setting is fleshed out a little better there.
...Well, it is only episode 1, too.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
I noticed the stuff 7hs just mentioned, along with other little things like the grandfather cleaning the gun that he's probably never used (that they didn't just kill the chickens with), the receptionist insisting FairyCo has nothing to do with fairies despite him knowing absolutely nothing about the company, how they call the fairies the "current-humans" as if they've totally given up on being the current humans, etc.

I really like the art style and the music. Mai Nakahara is darn lovable as the main character (Watashi??), as well.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »
This show definitely has me interested. The first episode didn't explain a lot, but it intrigued me enough to want to keep watching.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
I tapped out after one episode, not really for me.  He also never impressed me with his VN work :<

Edible

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
Episode 2, superior to episode 1.  Nakahara is perfect in this role.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave mariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This OP is the best thing ever by the way.

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
Yeah, the reference to A Better Tomorrow was priceless. Love the exploration this show is doing with where our food comes from, how its made, and how it affects us. Lovely stuff.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
I am now watching for more
Spoiler:
translator glasses and living hair antics.
only that.
this show is really bizarre for my taste.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Edible

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
I am now watching for more
Spoiler:
translator glasses and living hair antics.
only that.

I believe you may be disappointed; from what I understand, the anime is doing Haruhi-esque episodic rearranging of events in the novels.  This is from the 4th novel, apparently.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 04:02:16 AM »
great, and I am one of those who hated Haruhi.
(although I read the disappearance of Nagato-Yuki-chan and like it)

Tengukami

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »

"Look, Kyon, they're talking about me again!"

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
Episode 3:

Yaoi Wars: Revenge Of The Y

This was pretty entertaining, I felt. Really loved Y's horror at discovering the concept of doujins. Plus the entire idea that this exact sort of thing would happen even if no money were changing hands.

It's being speculated, regarding the ending, that
Spoiler:
in order to escape the manzine, they will have to "act it out" to the end.
If that's the case, that should be pretty hilarious.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:00:40 PM »
I really like this series so far, especially the animation style. All the school moe series are getting boring, so this is a nice change of pace.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 02:37:31 AM »
I unexpectedly am enjoying this so far, despite as was mentioned above, summaries selling this short.
The Ave Maria sample cut short by the sound of the chickens hitting the floor sold me. :V
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Tengukami

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »

In one episode, Jinrui manages to explain what it took Bakuman two seasons to say.

There's a really nice Alice in Wonderland feel to this whole episode, but the protagonists never seem completely surprised by anything that happens. Even the possibility of dying doesn't make them react beyond "Welp, guess this is it." I think that helps add to the brand of comedy the show uses, fitting for a satire.

OP Bollywood version edit: Dozo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:24:03 AM by Tengukami »

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:20:28 AM »

In one episode, Jinrui manages to explain what it took Bakuman two seasons to say.

There's a really nice Alice in Wonderland feel to this whole episode, but the protagonists never seem completely surprised by anything that happens. Even the possibility of dying doesn't make them react beyond "Welp, guess this is it." I think that helps add to the brand of comedy the show uses, fitting for a satire.

what's a 4th wall

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 01:40:48 AM »
Misc stuff: Indians dancing to Jinrui OP (Youtube)

Woops, that's what I get for not noticing threads on motk sooner! Well, at least I can provide a person attempting to dance to the said video.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:59:41 AM by Colt »
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Tengukami

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »
Heh, slowpoke.

Edible

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 02:05:44 AM »
Deeper and deeper into the meta rabbit hole we went, and then popped back out topside without incident.

I wonder where this show will go next.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03:21 AM »
OP Bollywood version edit: Dozo.

This literally made the lab burst in laughter, myself included.

GDI!!!! Also, episode 4 made me lol hard for some reason. >_>

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Drake

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
Every week I have to exclaim that this OP is the best dancing OP ever.

God I love this show's humour. Criticizing all these aspects of manga artists, how readers are swayed too easily, how authors can feel about their audience, the common pitfalls of bad writing, etc. Episode 3 was pretty light but this one had me clapping at my screen. Fairies going "manga writers have no other marketable talents; if your book is canceled the only way left is death!", pffff.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:48:14 AM by Drake »

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
Fairies going "manga writers have no other marketable talents; if your book is canceled the only way left is death!", pffff.

"You have been condemned to take up the family business" just about killed me.

Seventh Holy Scripture

Re: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Things are getting a little sketchy.
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »
Forgot to take my forum password on vacation with me. Thread subject updated at long last.

I feel I'm a bit too late to go into depth about the past few episodes, but the anime is definitely living up to my expectations.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Things are getting a little sketchy.
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
After just finishing Cross Channel today and loving Yume Miru Kusuri a few years ago, I checked out the first episode now, and dear god it's enjoyable. Absolutely absurd in the best way, I can definitely see how this was originally written by the same person as CC. And holy shit that bread-suicide :V