Author Topic: Spell Card Help Topic V: Cheeto Lasers Edition  (Read 252811 times)

MTSranger

• =.=
Re: Spell Card Help Topic V: Cheeto Lasers Edition
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2012, 07:45:57 AM »
Kasumi stage 6 midboss card in MB, the rainbow one as Reimu. Any way for this to not be a bomb dump all the time?
I've timed it out sitting at the bottom of the screen in the lane beside the one line of bullets that are different (this gives you more leeway as both sides are never on at the same time. so you have less chance of clipping if you lean to the correct side with good timing).
You do have to move kind of precisely for a loooong time though, and it's easy to clip as the lane is narrow and moves relatively fast.
The good thing is though, you will get enough graze to gain 1 life there so it's okay if you die once.
I have no idea how to capture it - it may be really simple or smthing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:56:24 AM by Kanon »

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »
The hitboxes on Marisa's danmaku in IN stage 4 confuse me greatly. Where on the sprite is the hitbox for her danmaku?
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »
The hitboxes on Marisa's danmaku in IN stage 4 confuse me greatly. Where on the sprite is the hitbox for her danmaku?
the points of the stars are not the hitbox.
It's more noticeable on the big stars, only the white center is hitbox.
The smaller ones it's safer to regard at all hitbox, even though there's some leeway with the points.

« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:36 AM »
Has anyone cleared EoSD Extra stage pacifist no-bombs?
Also, which parts are impossible to perfect in the stage on those two conditions?

Zil

« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2012, 02:49:45 AM »
QED goes apeshit, but I don't think anything's impossible. I found a way to do the fairies in the intro, and I assume it works for the ones right before Flandre as well.

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »
The intro is easy enough, but the tri-shot is the thing that stops people doing it.

I tried the intro-style circling for the tri-shot fairies, but it does not work for them.

Zil

« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2012, 06:56:11 AM »
You're right, they're a bit different. I tried a few things and found that you can simply stream up the left wall for the pre-Flandre group. I can't get it to work on the ones before the books, but I feel like something could be figured out. (Right wall maybe?)

Unless of course it's something countless superplayers have agreed can't be done. Then I guess it's probably true.

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2012, 02:23:18 AM »
I'm really starting to get tired of this. Is there a strategy to picking up UFO tokens while dodging danmaku? I cant seem to figure it out, because I'll have my eyes on the UFO and I won't be paying attention to the danmaku and then *pichuun* I die.

Also, Murasa. Surival card. Why?  :V
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
Ok so StB 3-6, 4-5, 4-7, 5-4, 5-5, 5-7. 5-8. Thanks

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »
MoF Extra with MarisaC. Need help with Froggy Braves The Elements, the second survival card, Mishaguji-sama and the first Suwako nonspell.
I don't get how to clear Froggy besides insane luck, I think I spent my entire bomb stock there...
The ending portion of the second survival card, where the white and red balls start coming really quick I start messing up.
Misha, I can do the beginning ok but anything beyond half hp and I start failing badly.
And I just seem to die pathetically from clips on the nonspell. Can't read it.

Thanks in advance.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Ok so StB 3-6, 4-5, 4-7, 5-4, 5-5, 5-7. 5-8. Thanks
3-6:  Read the lasers, get into a gap, dodge the arrows in the gap and take the shot.  Not much to it, the hard part in the 7 shots.
4-5:  Just circle around Medicine, stay completely unfocused in the poison clouds and focus in the non-poison.  Hope she doesn't trap you after 4 shots with bad movement.
4-7:  Dodge.  There is no trick.
5-4:  Take pictures of the streams when they cross at the bottom.  The pyramid of bullets is aimed, so you can stay in charge and tap sideways a little bit.  This one is much easier than it looks.
5-5:  THIS SCENE IS EVIL but I managed to come up with a strategy that doesn't involve running around randomly hoping bullets from all sides don't kill you.  [attach=1]
5-7:  Charge up the camera, take picture.  I've never actually failed this scene, every 2 shots dash to Meiling's other side.
5-8:  Dodge.  Stay somewhat close to Patchy and be careful of the lasers.

MoF Extra with MarisaC. Need help with Froggy Braves The Elements, the second survival card, Mishaguji-sama and the first Suwako nonspell.
I don't get how to clear Froggy besides insane luck, I think I spent my entire bomb stock there...
The ending portion of the second survival card, where the white and red balls start coming really quick I start messing up.
Misha, I can do the beginning ok but anything beyond half hp and I start failing badly.

Thanks in advance.
Suwako's first nonspell...you can just bomb this if you can capture the first 2 spells fine-at a faith gain and no net power loss, assuing 5 power going into the fight (since there are 3 1 power fairies right before, it's not a big deal).  It's pretty tricky to dodge, and there is no real trick to it.  If you see a gap take it though.
Froggy Braves the Elements:  There is no trick to this.
Suwa War:  The white "suns" are random, the dark ones are aimed.  Dodge the greens and the suns (about the middle of the screen height works well for most waves), and be at the top of the screen at 10 seconds left.  Stream down.  Don't be afraid to bomb this card.
Mishaguji-sama:  Since you're using MarisaC, you can either dodge below Suwako or dodge from the corner (it's easier to dodge from there, but it will take longer.  The frostthrowers damage makes this feasible)

« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »

Thanks in advance.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=22188

Tried demonstrating an alternative approach to Suwako's opener, even though I die to like the first bullet fired, i time it out afterwards (it's streaming).
As far as demonstration replays goes, this one is pretty derpy.
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »
Ok so I'm trying to 1cc PCB Lunatic, but I have a few problems:

1) Chen's last spell: Kimontonkou. This is pretty much the only thing stopping me from almost consistently perfecting Stages 1 and 2. I feel like there's some pattern to the green and blue bullets, but I can't seem to see it.
2) Is there any way to consistently do the part in stage 3 after you first beat Alice? It's the part with the aimed blue bullets.
3) Alice's first spell: Benevolent Orleans Dolls. Does anyone know how many patterns this card chooses from? I know there's at least 3, possibly 4, but I think it'd be easier on me if I had an idea of if this thing is possible to memorize.
4) Alice's last spell: Hanged Hourai Dolls. I don't even know where to begin on this one, other than the fact that it's kind of aimed at you. Micro dodging just isn't my forte :(
5) I can't figure out the best way to dodge the spam right before final boss Youmu and after the bunch of things that shoot aimed bullets at you. I just don't think that I'm killing the fairies correctly, because I seem to get a higher density pattern than what I see in videos. I'm using MarisaA if it matters.
6) Yuyuko's non spell with the aimed bubble bullets and the knives. I get it's static, but I'm not sure how to move to clear it consistently.

And while I'm at it, any advice for Radiant Treasure Gun? (Shou's first card) I can't make heads or tails of this other than dodge and get lucky, otherwise get clipped. Oh also how to dodge Shou's final card. In normal I could do it rather easily by slipping through a wall before they "break" and reading from that position, but it doesn't seem to work as well in Hard :(

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »
2) Is there any way to consistently do the part in stage 3 after you first beat Alice? It's the part with the aimed blue bullets.
After first midboss? That's simple, I usually start right, slowly go left, reverse (which isn't hard with most of them killed) and by the time I get back to the right Alice comes back.
4) Alice's last spell: Hanged Hourai Dolls. I don't even know where to begin on this one, other than the fact that it's kind of aimed at you. Micro dodging just isn't my forte :(
As far as I can tell, it's just dealing wth dense but slow walls and paying attention for openings. Unless someone else can give better advice, all I can say is to practice reading ahead.
5) I can't figure out the best way to dodge the spam right before final boss Youmu and after the bunch of things that shoot aimed bullets at you. I just don't think that I'm killing the fairies correctly, because I seem to get a higher density pattern than what I see in videos.
It's 100% static. Just kill the fairies as fast as you can (can't remember how strong MarisaA is) and then it's just a matter of finding a path you're comfortable with. Here's a video of me doing it, if it helps.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2012, 06:21:28 AM »
After first midboss? That's simple, I usually start right, slowly go left, reverse (which isn't hard with most of them killed) and by the time I get back to the right Alice comes back.
Hm I guess it's a matter of getting the "reverse" timing down. I seem to get caught fairly often when I try to do it.

As far as I can tell, it's just dealing wth dense but slow walls and paying attention for openings. Unless someone else can give better advice, all I can say is to practice reading ahead.
Hm I was hoping that you could "redirect" it a bit so you wouldn't have multiple stuff converging at once. Oh well. I guess a 30% capture rate will have to do.

It's 100% static. Just kill the fairies as fast as you can (can't remember how strong MarisaA is) and then it's just a matter of finding a path you're comfortable with. Here's a video of me doing it, if it helps.
It feels like you kill the fairies with Reimu faster than I can manage it with Marisa :(. Probably a perception thing though. I didn't know it was static though. I probably should've looked closer at that attack. Thanks!

Zil

« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
Hm I was hoping that you could "redirect" it a bit so you wouldn't have multiple stuff converging at once. Oh well. I guess a 30% capture rate will have to do.
IIRC, you can misdirect it by moving to the far edges of the screen repeatedly. I also have to question the use of Marisa. Unless you're using her as some kind of self-imposed challenge, you probably want to use ReimuB or SakuyaB.

Heian_Alien

• Act normal...
  • Act normal!
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
IIRC, you can misdirect it by moving to the far edges of the screen repeatedly. I also have to question the use of Marisa. Unless you're using her as some kind of self-imposed challenge, you probably want to use ReimuB or SakuyaB.
Y U NO LOVE Homing Reimu? All my first clears were with her.(except for SA, obviously). She simplifies the stages so much that I have serious trouble clearing with non-homing types. My PCB Lunatic 1cc was with her as well.

Zil

« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »
She simplifies the stages so much that I have serious trouble clearing with non-homing types.
That's a part of the reason. She does simplify the stages, but none of them truly require homing for you to get through, and you end up dependent on it. On the other hand, you can 'simplify' the stages by simply practicing a decent path through them with ReimuB, and then have a much easier time with bosses because her higher damage.

I'll admit, ReimuA isn't a terrible choice (my own first Lunatic clear was with her as well) but I think ReimuB serves you better in the long run. It's kind of a matter of simplifying the stage versus simplifying the boss, and I think the bosses dwarf the stages in terms of difficulty, so the boss-killer types are the best choice.

And Sakuya's decent because of the bomb/border abuse.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:16:27 PM by Zil »

Heian_Alien

• Act normal...
  • Act normal!
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
I can see where you're getting at. It does make sense. I just can't be bothered with memorization. I hate having to memorize
whole routes. Of course I know the stages by heart by now, but I like to improvise a bit. Dedicating all your effort to memorizing
routes and trivializing ageless obsession some memopatterns does take a toll on the fun side of the games so I just can't bring myself to do it.
(or anything that requires lots of effort, for that matter)
Maybe I am too casual a gamer for this kind of games.

Chuckolator

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
Tewi's 1st nonspell and Reisen's last spell are the only things stopping me from getting a perfect stage 5 every time. How do?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:42:02 AM by Seiga Kaku »
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:36 AM »
Looking for someone to unlock stage practice on Hard mode for SanaeB for me in UFO. Score file.

(If you have time, unlocking Hard for other characters would be fine too =P, but SanaeB is what I'll take for now.)

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2012, 04:38:59 AM »
Fantasy Heaven

Replays would be greatly appreciated

While I mostly understand what to do, the last few seconds give me the most trouble.
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

Zil

« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »
Looking for someone to unlock stage practice on Hard mode for SanaeB for me in UFO. Score file.

(If you have time, unlocking Hard for other characters would be fine too =P, but SanaeB is what I'll take for now.)
It seems nobody responded to this, so I went and did it. Also saved the replay in case you were interested.

@Ranko: I can offer my own ancient replay, though I doubt it's optimal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QvScoAhCMU#t=15m9s (Possible loud music warning)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:42:07 AM by Zil »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2012, 05:55:13 AM »
Reisen's last spell
Basically you move to a gap while the bullets are phased out to skip across most or all of them and then move down as the next wave approach.
You don't have to micro through a single wave of bullets.
The safest gap is the one inside the 2nd ring inner most ring of blue bullets.
However, sometimes it becomes risky if the blue bullets form a denser wall on the 2nd ring.
In that case, you can either be very careful and slide right in between the bullets (don't go anymore inside, or else you can die), or you can go instead for the 4th ring.
The 4th ring needs more precise timing because the gap (between the rings of bullets that reappear) is small.

Image to show where you should stand before the bullets reappear:

Time out by moving inside 2nd ring: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=22283
Time out by moving inside 4th ring: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=22284
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:15:39 AM by Kanon »

Chuckolator

« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2012, 06:31:19 AM »

Yeah, sorry, I meant her actual last spell. As far as I can tell it's just random dodging, possibly made easier by moving with one side?

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »
It seems nobody responded to this, so I went and did it. Also saved the replay in case you were interested.

@Ranko: I can offer my own ancient replay, though I doubt it's optimal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QvScoAhCMU#t=15m9s (Possible loud music warning)

Thank you very much!

« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
Could someone take a look at this failed SA Lunatic 1CC attempt, and point out any areas where I can improve? I came a lot closer to clearing here than I thought I would (I thought I'd make it to Orin, but here I make it to Utsuho), and I figure I might be able to get a clear with just a little help.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »
Could someone take a look at this failed SA Lunatic 1CC attempt, and point out any areas where I can improve? I came a lot closer to clearing here than I thought I would (I thought I'd make it to Orin, but here I make it to Utsuho), and I figure I might be able to get a clear with just a little help.

Your stage 1 was fine, for the fairies before Kisume, if you memorise the times they spawn you can usually stay above the PoC line for the first two waves, then move steadily downwards for the last wave with enough communication gauge to collect everything.
Also, you can pretty much border hax everything after Kisume, if you time it right you can kill red fairies and border hax just in time to pick up the power items they drop.
I also bomb Yamame's last spell, it's not bad considering you can get back to full power  before Parsee (final boss) even if you bomb twice in stage 1 (The second bomb is usually for Yamame's first non rather than the stage portion). 
If you want to, you can learn her last spell because it's static (as far as I know).

The ying-yang orbs right before Parsee (midboss) spawn in groups with short gaps inbetween, I usually kill the first group on the right, then stream all the rest from the bottom left corner, that tends to give me enough communication gauge to collect all the items (including the first group's) and gain max power if I wasn't already.
I usually bomb Parsee's second non-spell as well because it's one of the clippiest things on the planet, and I've found more often than not that it can kill you as it despawns if you don't pay attention.
Parsee's last spell usually also takes up a bomb, one should be enough if you misdirect her aim correctly.  You should be able to gain all you power back in stage 3 before Yuugi (final boss) if you've only bombed twice from Parsee's fight.

I think the lasers of Yuugi's (midboss) first non are partially based on your position and have the same pattern, if you stay underneath her when the blue lasers are shot, then move right, you can usually avoid all the lasers, the reds afterwards are aimed straight at you and just need to be side stepped.
The spell afterwards always takes a bomb from me, but I think it's actually static, I've just never really tried to learn it  :derp:
It is possible to do the section before Yuugi (final boss) if you're really good at reading lasers and remember to dodge the blue circles, but it's dangerous otherwise and I tend to bomb it anyway myself.
Yuugi's (final boss) first non always follows the same pattern.  If you want to learn it try not shooting during practice stage and time it out, otherwise one bomb is usually fine, it can be bit clippy eitherway.
Her second non also follows a repeated pattern, I'd recommend learning it in practice stage.  The lasers will always shoot in the same directions but I think sometimes a few might move slower than others so you should watch out for those.  There's also pretty cool safespot which you can use to get lots of graze, a WR replay should show it, I haven't bothered to learn it myself (I'm lazy  :V) but if it makes things easier then try it out on practice stage a bit.
The bubble spell is alot of read and dodging, bombing is fine, sometimes I bomb it twice if I fluff up somewhere.
The last non is pretty safe if you do it from the bottom right, then less yellow bullets tend to come at you from both sides, if you still have any power though then it's fine to bomb, it's a tricky non otherwise.
The last spell is luck I guess, sometimes it seems to wall you, but there's almost always a way to get through the waves.  You need to be quick at finding openings and move fast because sometimes the bullets move about slightly to the sides and make existing openings smaller. 

I've made replays of how I'd normally go about doing stage 4 and 5 because I'd probably end up writing a skyscraper of text explaining them.

Stage 4
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=22291
Stage 5
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=22290

For the start of stage 4, I've learnt a method which almost always gets me through Orin's first appearance without a bomb or death.  Stream the ying-yangs from any corner to the middle, then wait until Orin spawns the second group of vengeful spirits and start moving in a counter-clockwise circle.  I saw it in a replay by Jaimers (I think he's amazing  :3) and have always used it since.  You still have to be careful of bullets which may get in your way sometimes, just adjust your circling movements slightly and it should be fine.  Thankfully, it's at the very start of the stage, so it shouldn't be too hard to practice, and it looks pretty cool.
Satori's first non is clippy, but static, I think that death was pretty accidental.
There's a method for her hypnotism spell which I saw on a few WR replays, but even then you can die if you've not practiced it enough (which I haven't  :ohdear:), I'd recommend checking it out and practicing it a bit, if you get good at it you can end up getting lots of graze from the lasers.

Stage 5, I've tried to start off the ying-yangs with the same power you had, it's possible to get past it with one bomb with good memorisation.
Try to make everything Orin (midboss) throws at you last forever, then you can even skip the popcorn section entirely.  I tend to go to her last spell "catwalk" to do this because I tend to have better luck at dodging "catwalk" waves then I do surviving the popcorn section. 
You can border hax the ying-yangs after that, but sometimes there's so much popcorn about that it's too dangerous to do so.  Some reading beforehand is needed, or just bomb.
For Orin's boss fight, use the safespot! 
The replay should show me doing it, and also show me timing out her second non with a similar safeish spot.
The rest of her things are pretty hard and I'd recommend planned bombs, unless you're really good at reading and dodging.

I've got a full replay which I did a bit earlier which shows what I tend to do when playing ReimuA, and should illustrate everything I said earlier.
I had alot of silly and sometimes suicidal deaths, which is nice.  It should also show how I do stage 6 there, it's alot of border hax with ReimuA.

Full replay
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=22288

You should be able to get the 1cc, ultimately it's memorisation and planned bombs if your going for survival, pretty much like all the other games.

(Lovely wall of text, hehe)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:48:12 PM by Nindella »
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

xForeverFanaticx

• Bomb ALL the Spellcards!
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
Could somebody help me with Undefined Darkness? I'm having lots of trouble getting back up to the top of the screen to misdirect Nue from side to side after her first 2 bursts. And then she goes ahead to just ram me and murder me. Those dark clouds are scaaaaary...

Zil

« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
Some things in addition to what Nindella said:

Yamame's final spell is not static, as far as I'm aware, but a bomb there is fine anyway.
Yuugi's midboss spell is static.
The part just after then is also "kind of" static. Also note that Yuugi's bullets are aimed around you, so if you focus only on the lasers and don't move around too much, you can ignore them. (Of course, bombing at the right time will restore the bomb completely so that's probably waht you should do anyway.
Orin's thing at the start of stage 4 can be done by just moving left and right. There's no need to go in circles.
Everything that isn't used by Orin in stage 4 is aimed or static, so ideally you could get through with no more than 1 or 2 bombs.
I don't know what the WR record method for Terrifying Hypnotism is, but I know of was to do it that's just gliding left and right. Hard to describe, so here's an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TNEy_IV4Y#t=8m29s
If you skip Cat's Walk, you miss the life piece and must endure an absurd amount of "pellet hell" anyway.

Anyway, I'd say to watch the rest of the video I linked, since it contains every trick I know, aside from Yuugi's last nonspell, which can be done easily in the corner as Nindella described.
Here's the run in replay form, in case you prefer that. http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=19115
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:19:21 PM by Zil »