Author Topic: Pokemon Murky Red - A crazy Fire Red hack [α 1.99 hotfix]  (Read 32167 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
pokemon murky red α 1.99 hotfix
next :: β 1.00
a diabolic foray into in-game and competitive fusion

Ever wanted to see a Sudowoodo tank a
STAB Bubblebeam like a boss?

INTRODUCTION
Pokemon Murky Red is a basic and rudimentary Pokemon Fire Red hack (as of now) that aims to make every generation 3 Pokemon viable in use in-game. While most general trainers remain unchanged, your rival, the Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 have been heavily retooled. Their levels are mostly around the same (generally lower in the case of the Gym Leaders and the Elite 4), however, they boast improved movesets and have increased stats due to the general tweaks made to almost all the Pokemon. Careful thought is needed to be able to win against these major fights if you want to avoid over-grinding. Even so, over-grinding does not ensure one a free ticket to cockiness - the picture above is testament to this. Pokemon Murky Red is a game best played blind, with very little prior knowledge to the changes. However, I will describe the basic changes and what other things to expect in Pokemon Murky Red.

CHANGES
  • Tweaked or buffed base stats (and BST) for all the Pokemon
  • Slightly tweaked or retooled Pokemon movesets
  • Pokemon spawns will be revised
  • Pokemon evolution revisions
  • Many Pokemon have changed typings
  • Some Pokemon have different abilities
  • Physical/Special Split
  • Some attacks will be buffed/tweaked/adjusted
  • Almost all non-legendary Pokemon in Gen3 are available to capture and use /!\ new /!\

CURRENTLY DONE
  • All 386 Pokemon out of 386 have been retooled
  • Gym Leaders, Elite 4 and Rival have retooled Pokemon (expect Gen2/Gen3 Pokemon this time)
  • Trade evolutions are abolished - they're now either by Stone or by level
  • Revised Pokemon spawns

CHANGED MOVES
  • Hyper Beam --> Nirvana Normal, 1 PP, 180 BP, 85 Acc [Same effect as Hyper Beam, ignores Protect]
  • Revenge --> Demon Fist Fighting, 5 PP, 100 BP, 100 Acc [100% to lower opponent's Defense]
  • Splash --> Splash! Flying, 1 PP, -- BP, 100 Acc [100% to raise all user's stats]
  • Take Down --> Onslaught Normal, 10 PP, 85 BP, 95 Acc [33% to raise user's Attack]
  • Mega Punch --> Burst Fist Normal, 15 PP, 75 BP, 90 Acc [Increased critical hit ratio]
  • Blast Burn --> Corona Fire, 1 PP, 170 BP, 100 Acc [100% chance to burn, ignores Protect]
  • Hydro Cannon --> Grand Deluge Water, 1 PP, 170 BP, 100 Acc [100% to lower opponent's Special Defense, ignores Protect]
  • Frenzy Plant --> Gaea's Rage Grass, 1 PP, 170 BP, 100 Acc [100% to lower opponent's Special Attack, ignores Protect]
  • Guillotine --> Death's Gift Dark, 3 PP, -- BP, 50 Acc [Chance to OHKO, based on: ((user.level - target.level) + 50)%]
  • Fissure --> To The Abyss Dark, 15 PP, -- BP, 100 Acc [Deals damage equal to: user.level*rand(0.5 to 1.5)]
  • Twineedle --> Death Needle Bug, 10 PP, 70 BP, 100 Acc [Same as Twineedle]
  • Razor Wind --> Gale Prayer Normal, 5 PP, 135 BP, 100 Acc [Same as Razor Wind]
  • DynamicPunch --> Nova Force Fire, 10 PP, 80 BP, 95 Acc [100% chance to burn]
  • Sheer Cold --> AbsoluteZero Ice, 1 PP, 170 BP, 100 Acc [100% chance to freeze, ignores Protect
  • Imprison --> Stasis Seal Psychic 20 PP, -- BP, -- Acc [Same as Mist]
  • More to come...

TO DO
  • Attempt introduction of Gen IV and Gen V attacks and abilities
  • Finish the remaining Pokedex retools
  • Retool important battles post-Elite 4
  • Consider retooling of general trainers
  • Finalize Pokemon spawn revision

PATCHES
/!\ IMPORTANT /!\ This requires you to patch over a FIRE RED (U) ver1.0 copy. PM or message me concerns on compatibility.
DO NOT DISCUSS WHERE TO OBTAIN THE STUFF NEEDED TO GET THIS WORKING.

Alpha 1.00
  • Rival, Gym Leaders, Elite 4 retooled
  • First 151 Pokemon and some Gen 2 Pokemon tweaked/buffed
  • Physical/Special Split
  • Tweaked Pokemon spawns
Alpha 1.50
Alpha 1.50 Mini-Fix
You can patch over Alpha 1.00 with minimal problems. But you will need to restart for earlier changes to be noticed.
  • Gym Leaders, Elite 4 retooled
  • All Pokemon tweaked/buffed
  • Tweaked Pokemon spawns some more
  • Some moves got adjusted, changed
  • Pokemon between Pallet Town and Pewter City have increased EXP gains.
  • Introduction of Gen2 and Gen3 Pokemon to the roster. Evolution possible w/o Nat'l Dex, but Stone evolutions don't work yet.
Alpha 1.99 Hotfix New, with fix
You can patch over Alpha 1.50 with minimal problems. But you will need to restart for earlier changes to be noticed.
  • Gym Leaders, some trainers and possibly some others now on "Lunatic" difficulty style
  • Heavy move rebalancing
  • Spawn revisions
  • Fixed a bug where Burst Fist had Focus Energy's effect instead of Slash
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:51:10 AM by Luca Trancelywaath »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Pokemon Murky Red - A crazy Fire Red hack
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
I must try this out soon. A true Pok?mon hard mode (and not just cranked-up levels and ridiculous stats) seems like fun, and I have been following many of your tweaks on IRC-- it seems great. :D

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
I suppose I might give this a shot once I have some free time.

The example given (Charizard vs Starmie) keeps implying that the game is made harder because of BST tweaks, but I'd assume the BST changes affect your own Pokemon too. Is it just a thing against starters? :V

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »
So does the game become a RPS/pick the correct counter to this mon puzzle-type game?
Also, what about the Physical/Special Split?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
The split started in the 4th gen games. The original Fire Red doesn't have it.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
Some hacks of the 3rd gen do have it-- I know for a fact some Touhoumon ones do. That's why they're called 'hacks'-- stuff is changed and new stuff is added in. :P

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »
So does the game become a RPS/pick the correct counter to this mon puzzle-type game?

Not quite. To give you an idea, I completely wiped to Brock my first time with the following team (not-vanilla-available 'mons spoilered): Squirtle L14, Rattata L11,
Spoiler:
Venonat
L11,
Spoiler:
Spearow
L12,
Spoiler:
Eevee
L3 (just using this one for Pickup right now). Managed to get by on my second try once I knew what Brock's 'mons did, though.

Basically I'm saying that you don't *have* to have specific Pokemon to win; you just have to know your opponent's movesets and adapt to them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:55:00 PM by Roark Desmond Jaffar »

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
Not quite. To give you an idea, I completely wiped to Brock my first time [...] Basically I'm saying that you don't *have* to have specific Pokemon to win; you just have to know your opponent's movesets and adapt to them.

I can tell you right now that this is true. It's like Trance said in the OP. If you aren't paying attention/don't plan carefully, you ~might~ lose the first time out. Not to say that this is ridiculously hard, but again, you need to adapt to your opponent's strategies.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »
Thoughts so far:

--The gym leaders are EVIL. Seriously, so far Brock and Misty have had one Pokemon I just completely didn't expect, and had my entire team wrecked by them. I'm wondering how Surge will go at this rate...
--Lots of interesting changes to wild encounters! I'm surprised I was able to find a Fire-type this early.
--SHINY BUTTERFREE YEAH
--Once the other trainers are retooled, I can see this being a rather difficult hack. Which is a good thing!

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:55:55 AM »
Thank you for the interest in the hack.

Please forward your suggestions on how to improve it through PM or here in the thread. Feel free to share your experiences here too. Spoiler out anything that could make the game easier though  :blush:

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
Just beat Erika so far, and...it seems that the next patch will be more difficult, from what I'm being told. I can't imagine how Misty would get tougher, though D:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »

Opening post edited with some minor updates.

Alpha 1.50 will be released sometime this week.

Accompanying mini-changelog to follow with it.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:16:40 AM by trance margatroid »

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »
Any 3rd gen hack that has the physical/special split is automatically awesome.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »

I'll be tweaking existing moves too.

Any 3rd gen hack that has the physical/special split is automatically awesome.

IKR?

Reference
Code: [Select]
0x720000
| Free Space
V Available
0xD00000
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:37:13 AM by trance margatroid »

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Pokemon Murky Red - A crazy Fire Red hack [α 1.50]
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »
Now that I have the Elite Four beaten in Touhoumon, I can mess around with this.

But

uh

I think I did something wrong

and then it crashes :(

man i just wanted to beat things up with bulbasaur :fail:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:16:51 PM by Fate Matsyrossa »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »
How did you get it to allow >10 chars in a name?

That might be the reason for the crash n' stuff.

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 10:07:27 PM »
How did you get it to allow >10 chars in a name?

That might be the reason for the crash n' stuff.

It probably just looks like that cause its spitting out parts of names. Notice how if you examine each segment carefully it makes up half of a name.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »
So, advice for those that are playing through: take a look at the different abilities and types of each wild Pokemon, if you find yourself stuck. A certain type combo or ability just might make things easier on you.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm still fishing for comments.

Planned for β 1.00:
  • Available non-Kanto legendaries in various places
  • Event tweaks
  • Other stuff

Random

• Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
Have you tried doing what Emerald 386 did and make an NPC that gives you the National Dex very early on?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
Brock was so mean omg

Spoiler:
I literally had to Sleep Powder + Leech Seed Aerodactyl and switch through my team of weaker Pokemon as it slowly went down. D:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 01:09:22 AM »
Have you tried doing what Emerald 386 did and make an NPC that gives you the National Dex very early on?

Evolutions already work without needing the National Dex.

Doing the NPC route is not an elegant solution to the problem because:
  • It fucks up the Elite 4 and makes them the rematch version
  • It screws around with the Sevii Island triggers

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »
So it seems like
Spoiler:
Ancientpower has a 50% proc rate on its stat-up.
I'm pretty much positive this is going to be fixed, because imagining something with Serene Grace, that move, and
Spoiler:
Silver Wind
all at once...yeah.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
So it seems like
Spoiler:
Ancientpower has a 50% proc rate on its stat-up.
I'm pretty much positive this is going to be fixed, because imagining something with Serene Grace, that move, and
Spoiler:
Silver Wind
all at once...yeah.
Some boss thing (like the rival champion or whatnot) having something like that sounds awesome, although it'd have to be something not player attainable because that's pretty broken yeah.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
All-Up boosts are NOT fun. Especially not to play against.

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
All-Up boosts are NOT fun. Especially not to play against.

Which is why it's probably going to either be changed, or occur less frequently.

Random

• Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 09:56:06 PM »
Some boss thing (like the rival champion or whatnot) having something like that sounds awesome, although it'd have to be something not player attainable because that's pretty broken yeah.
That would be a pretty cool thing to add as well. Changing some Pokemon for the major battles that would add stuff like unattainable movesets, different natures, and modifications to the moves themselves are things I always wanted in a Pokemon hack.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 02:30:02 AM »
That would be a pretty cool thing to add as well. Changing some Pokemon for the major battles that would add stuff like unattainable movesets, different natures, and modifications to the moves themselves are things I always wanted in a Pokemon hack.

The only "unattainable movesets" in this hack will be Pokemon having moves they don't normally get at their level, but can still get it at higher levels legally.
I already am currently modifying moves.

Thanks to one of my testers, I'm yet again upgrading the Gym Leaders.
Spoiler:
Clear Smog existing in FRLG would trivialize this

Random

• Benzene, benzene ♪
Re: Pokemon Murky Red - A crazy Fire Red hack [α 1.99 hotfix]
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 03:09:22 AM »
The only "unattainable movesets" in this hack will be Pokemon having moves they don't normally get at their level, but can still get it at higher levels legally.
Fair enough.

Brock already owned me once. And I thought nothing would surprise me after Touhoumon Lunatic :V

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
Re: Pokemon Murky Red - A crazy Fire Red hack [α 1.99 hotfix]
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
>Gym Leaders, some trainers and possibly some others now on "Lunatic" difficulty style
I am fearful, but willing. Challenge accepted. Let's dance.

edit: Okay, so Misty is a hell of a thing. It's going to be like a puzzle figuring out what to use, but i've gotten past that one roadblock
Spoiler:
Read: Politoed
, so now i'll just have to figure the rest out.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:59:27 PM by XephyrEnigma »