Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XI Online  (Read 208104 times)

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Re: Touhou Rage Thread XI Online
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
FUUUUUUUUUCK

FUCK YOU SHOU, FUCK YOU 7-1, FUCK YOU DOUBLE SPOILER, FUCK YOU AYA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT: I apologize for my overuse of capslock, but to tell the truth that stupid fucking cat that ISN'T CHEN IS DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS!

CURVY LASERS~ CURVY FUCKING LASERS WITH TRAJECTORIES THAT I CAN'T FUCKING TELL BECAUSE THEY CURVE SO UNPREDICTABLY WITH NO GOD DAMN PATTERN~ OH HOW FUN THEY ARE TO DODGE

HOW FUCKING FUN. I've had an easier time trying to beat KOISHI ON FUCKING ULTRA! WITHOUT DYING OR BOMBING!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:53:07 PM by MoisChanvsTamama »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
I'd think said cat that is not Chen would be Orin, not Shou.

Also, I get a really good no focus run of EoSD extra, no deaths on the stage...capture Flandre's first 2 spells...and proceed to die to Four of a Kind.  Not a big deal, right?  Then I die again.  Run over.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
Protip: Try to go for score while doing a survival run for the sake of lives.

Enjoy.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »
Protip: Try to go for score while doing a survival run for the sake of lives.
Doesn't apply for the extra stage, there are 2 extra lives: Patchy's and the last fairy at the end of the stage drops the other.

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
So I've been trying to time out Phoenix Tail from the top of the screen because I'm about as bright as Cirno.

How has this been going, you ask?

Enough said, really.

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
So I've been trying to time out Phoenix Tail from the top of the screen because I'm about as bright as Cirno.

How has this been going, you ask?

Enough said, really.

Out of curiosity why are you in such an awkward position? xD

anyway, Derpiest day ever, couldn't even do hard mode in TD, perhaps that rust is building up again! Thats 3 days straight without Touhou.

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »
Out of curiosity why are you in such an awkward position? xD
Because if I'm at the top of the screen my history will be faded out. I was only there to take the screencap.

The worst part is that it seems like it's actually possible, since I've gotten down as far as 18 seconds remaining once. So my competitive nature will not let this rest until it's done, no matter how pointless.

Zil

« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2012, 01:30:55 AM »
Shouldn't it be easier than timing it out at the bottom? Seems like the bullets travel further before reaching you.
EDIT: Hehe... nevermind. It's actually much different.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:58:30 AM by Zil »

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2012, 02:20:48 AM »
FUCK YOU FLANDRE YOU AND YOUR STUPID GOD DAMN MAZE OF LOVE, THE CLOCKWISE PHASE ALWAYS FUCKING KILLS MY LAST GOD DAMN LIFE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Enjoy.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »
I can barely get past Stage 4 on TD Hard now without suffering from too many dumb deaths when I can usually get to Stage 6 without too much trouble

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
0/174 now. In one attempt, I get to 17 seconds left when my computer suddenly decides it would be the perfect time for a massive lag spike.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
TD Stage 6.

7 bombs
3 lives
Almost another bomb.

I seem to forget the bomb button exists, as I keep dying. I ended up using two bombs, and game overing on the knife nonspell with 6 bombs in stock. I really suck against Miko, to be fair, but I would have only needed bombs for her final two spells beyond that. ~_~

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
Youmu, your Last Word is weird. All the shiny cherry petals make it so I can't see where I'm going and something I didn't notice hits me because it was camoflaged. Also I can't get used to the freaking slowdown on this thing. And why do my family always think it's the right time to ask me a question when Youmu has barely any health left? Sheesh.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
NO NO FUCK FUCK NO FUCK NO NO FUCK NO FUCK FUCK NO FUCK NO NO FUCK NO NO NO FUCK NO NO. THIS MEANS WAR, BYAKUREN. THIS MEANS FUCKING WAR.

I HATE YOU BYAKUREN I FUCKING HATE YOU YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE. I WAS DOING SO WELL, MY HEART WAS POUNDING AND I WAS THINKING THAT I WAS GOING TO WIN, BUT NOPE. CHUCK FUCKING TESTA. YOU FUCKING KILLED ME ON FLYING FANTASTICA WHEN YOU HAD A SLIVER OF HEALTH LEFT.

Wanna know how much I hate Touhou 12 compared to the other games, just for its STUPID FUCKING UFO GIMMICK FOR LIVES AND BOMBS?! IT JUST PISSES ME OFF HOW MY OCD WILL TEAR THE FUCK OUT OF MY SANITY IF I DO ONE SINGLE FUCKING UFO WRONG BECAUSE THAT MEANS THAT I'LL HAVE "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT IF I NEED A BOMB/LIFE LATER?!" RUNNING THROUGH MY GOD DAMN HEAD ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE FUCKING FIFTH STAGE BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE YOU REALLY NEED A FUCKING HIGH STOCK OF BOMBS AND LIVES. SHOU RIVALS ORIN FOR THE HARDEST FUCKING STAGE 5 BOSS IN THE SERIES (AND DON'T GET ME FUCKING STARTED WITH THOSE FUCKING CURVING LASERS SHE HAS FOR EVERY FUCKING NONSPELL AND CARD IN DOUBLE SPOILER). HELL, IT'S NOT JUST ORIN. COMPARED TO THE PRISMRIVER SISTERS, MURASA IS AN ABSOLUTE FUCKING CLUSTERFUCK! DURING THIS FUCKING RUN THAT MADE ME BLOW MY TOP OFF, I WENT FROM EIGHT SPARE LIVES TO BARELY TWO BECAUSE I HAD TO SNEEZE WHILE PLAYING. THIS GAME, COMPARED TO PCB, IN, AND ARGUABLY EVEN SUBTERRANEAN ANIMISM, IS ABSOLUTELY FUCKING UNFORGIVING AND UNFORGIVABLE. IT'S AS IF ZUN DECIDED TO SHOVE ROTTEN EGGS, ONE GRAM OF SKUNK MUSK, AND CITRIC ACID (That stuff inside Oranges and lemons) INTO A MIXING BOWL AND BLEND THE FUCK OUT OF IT, THEN POUR IT INTO THE PLAYER'S EYES AND EXPECT THEM TO DODGE BULLETS, THE VOLATILE MIXTURE REPRESENTING THE DISTRACTING FUCKING UFOS AND OVERDOSE OF BULLETS. BY THE FUCKING WAY, THE STAGES I HATE MOST ARE 4 AND 5 BECAUSE I SWEAR THEY ARE PURPOSELY DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU SHIT BRICKS AND SWEAR AND LOSE ALL OF YOUR GOD DAMN LIVES AND BOMBS.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEThat's fucking it Byakuren I'm going to come to your house and I'm going to beat the living god damn shit out of you until you cry and then I'm going to shove your head in a garbage disposal and then I'm going to nurse you back to health as soon as you're close to dying and I'm going to torture you in the worst ways possible before crucifying you and laughing maniacally as I pound each rusty iron nail into your hands and feet and I will sit there and watch you suffer as you have made me suffer, only difference being my anguish was mental, yours will be physical.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:44:50 AM by MoisChanvsTamama »

Enjoy.

« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
^ Now that is what I call rage.

For what it's worth I've long since stopped playing UFO for pretty much exactly your reasons. Hell, I haven't even installed it on my new comp. So yeah, I feel your pain. All I can say is, try playing a Touhou that isn't made of pure evil, like Imperishable N...oh wait...

« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
Wanna know how much I hate Touhou 12 compared to the other games, just for its STUPID FUCKING UFO GIMMICK FOR LIVES AND BOMBS?!
 I HATE IT SO FUCKING MUCH THAT IT HAS STARTED A TUMOR IN MY HEAD THAT I HAVE NAMED UTSUHO BECAUSE FUCK NO I AM NOT NAMING ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH ME AFTER A TOUHOU 12 CHARACTER. THE ONLY TOUHOU 12 CHARACTER I ENJOY IS MINAMITSU MURASA AND THAT'S ONLY BECAUSE SHE HAS THE MOST FUCKING AWESOME THEME SONG EVER. I FUCKING HATE THE UFO GIMMICK, I HATE SHOU TORAMARU.

Stop. You asked whether or not we wanted to hear why you hate it. Not which parts of it you hate. Reasons broski. Please. Or else your rage post just isn't that awesome. You need to either go total troll or manly tears. :)

HATE HOW MOST OF THE SHOT TYPES ARE SHITTY AND PISS ME OFF WHEN I USE THEM

How most of the shot types are shitty, yeah try using the ones that aren't shitty. :trollface:

OH GOD DON'T GET ME STARTED ON STAGES 4 AND 5, ALSO KNOWN AS BOMB FUCKING CENTRAL. I BLOW OUT HALF OF MY RESOURCES IN THAT STAGE ALONE.

'That stage'? Surely you mean 'those stages. :trollface:

- Well, okay. Here's some constructive advice because I feel that you are suffering from UFO hate much like I was some time ago. The only remedy is to keep practicing it and getting better. Sooner or later you'll improve enough to finally conquer the game and it will be very satisfying regardless of how you feel about it now.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »
Play 1 difficulty higher.  Rage at that for a while.  Go back down.  Marvel at how easy it is in comparison, until you reach the part you could reach on the higher difficulty, at which point you may commence the bombspam.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
I don't care if people discount me for pretty much acting like Touhou 12 doesn't exist, I just despise its methods of giving lives and bombs. It's not worth it to get 2/5 of a life and end up losing a bomb/full life in the process.
Stop. You asked whether or not we wanted to hear why you hate it. Not which parts of it you hate. Reasons broski. Please. Or else your rage post just isn't that awesome. You need to either go total troll or manly tears. :)

How most of the shot types are shitty, yeah try using the ones that aren't shitty. :trollface:

'That stage'? Surely you mean 'those stages. :trollface:

- Well, okay. Here's some constructive advice because I feel that you are suffering from UFO hate much like I was some time ago. The only remedy is to keep practicing it and getting better. Sooner or later you'll improve enough to finally conquer the game and it will be very satisfying regardless of how you feel about it now.

1. I was saying what I thought about the god damn game. The reason I play it is because I was giving the game MANY FUCKING CHANCES to redeem itself. You can tell when a game is irritatingly hard when you memorize the fucking STAGE THEMES, FOR GOD'S SAKE.

2. I said most of them are shitty. These would be Sanae's Homing Snakes, Marisa's Shortwave, SOMETIMES the fucking lasers, and of course Homing Reimu. The problem is that I'm best at dodging with Marisa (I don't know why, fast dodging is easy for me. I play DoDonPachi every now and then), and both Reimu and Sanae have their own problems. Reimu for one, is just... I don't know, the speed's just weird the way I see. Her needle type shot is awesome, but you need to be able to dodge easily. Sanae's Spread Frogs... Sanae's a little slippery to control, but her frogs go everywhere and are moderately strong, yet I still fucking suck with them. With Marisa, I can dodge like nothing. Problem is, I suck at aiming with Marisa for just why I like her: She's fast.

3. Yeah, I looked over my rage a little and inserted a bit more but didn't correct all of the grammar. Whoopsies on my part. Also, you forgot an apostrophe in that second quote.

4. Yeeeah, UFO was my second Touhou game. I've played it since what, 2010? Trust me, I may hate it but that doesn't mean that I don't play it like it's Minecraft.

Play 1 difficulty higher.  Rage at that for a while.  Go back down.  Marvel at how easy it is in comparison, until you reach the part you could reach on the higher difficulty, at which point you may commence the bombspam.

To tell the truth Hard Mode UFO is fucking hell for me because I have UFO plans for every level and OCD to accompany me. Lunatic... *shudder* EoSD ULTRA IS MORE DOABLE FOR ME.

And you know what guys, I'll give UFO a chance or two more (Probably because I'm as addicted to Touhou as I hate UFO) but I'll try as Marisa. I will grow a fucking pair and use those god damn lasers and I will like it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:14:46 AM by MoisChanvsTamama »

Enjoy.

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2012, 12:17:02 AM »
One more thing, if you can't collect a UFO without getting your self killed, don't. Its probably better for you to only pick up UFO's if they are easy to get. Oh and memorizing songs due to practice is a natural thing. How much do you actually practice?

Also. If I read your post correctly, you are playing the game fairly much even if you don't like it. What I did back when I had a beef with the game was to seek 1cc's of other games instead. DoDonPachi as you mention is great fun. 1cc'd that? If not, then give UFO a break and work on DDP a bit instead. Other Cave games are also good. UFO isn't my favorite mechanic either no, in fact, it causes me to screw very simple things up. However, I stopped hating the system when I stopped going agressively for the UFO's and started looking at UFO like it was a Cave game in which anything beyond 5 lives is to be considered very generous. Playing with that mind set made the UFO system less irritating. As in, instead of the game handing out 1ups like candy, I get them as bonuses if I do something awesome that I can skip doing if it becomes to dangerous.

Also. Play SanaeB for christ sake. SanaeB is excellent for 1cc'ing since you can bomb, fly around the screen and pick up UFO's and summon it when the bomb clears away. Really effective.

Note that this post isn't some scolding or anything. You can think whatever you like about UFO obviously but if you are still playing it from time to time then you should keep my advice in mind. I have been through the same process after all.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »
Tried Laser-Type Marisa. Here is my current mindset.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFJHWILGHWEQILGHEGLEWHGLIEGTKWEHGIOLEWHTIKWH#$I#$Y#$@(TUY#$PIOT@#$HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPLIOGHEOILGHWERIOLGHWERIOLGERYGKHWRYHIWDRNGOIERYHG^Y##$&@#$(&@(^Y@#$IONJRWEGT#$(THLKIGWER(OT$#NGOWERYGTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Now, I've tried SanaeB repeatedly. Sometimes I just hate her. For some reason, most shot types everyone uses the fuck out of, I don't even want to touch because of how bad I am. Examples: Reimu A from SA. SHE'S TOO SLOW. Reimu C from SA. TOO FAST. Marisa A from SA. NO. Reimu B from PCB. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

I WILL try your method of ignoring the damn UFOs after 5 lives and 5 bombs but Shou will make me hate deciding to do that, likely. (Then again, a life is essentially three trump cards in one: One hit and two bombs, which may make this work out.)

Also, to be fair, I did do the same as you when I had a beef with this game. I've 1cc'd 6, 7, 8 (Fucking sucked at that run, that's why it's not on my channel), 10, and 13 all on Normal difficulty, and beat the Extra and Phantasm Stages of 7, But I will not move up to Hard until I beat Subterranean Animism (Orin and Utsuho FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU) and beat UFO (SHOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU). If I can't beat those, I'm not really a Normal Ace (Yes, I have multiple rankings for players based on most commonly played difficulty and how good they are at it) until I can do proficiently at all of the Windows games. Touhou 2 can go fuck itself because it doesn't allow focusing and can't be a real danmaku game because there isn't exactly much shit on screen to dodge. I'll play Hard and Lunatic every now and then just to see how proficient I am altogether.

About how much I actually practice, it depends on the game. This is gameplay time, not time I sit around in the menu.
EoSD   |    About 100 hours
PCB     |    Almost 57 hours (I got my copy to work again recently)
IN        |    654.05 hours.
MoF     |   20.31666666... hours.
SA        |   17.61666666... hours.
UFO     |   15.2 hours.
GFW    |    4.7 hours.
TD        |   25.2 hours.
Total    |   894.09 hours, or 53,645 minutes and 24 seconds approximately (rounding up those nonterminating decimals to .32 and .62).

I was eleven when I started this stuff, so I fooled around like a moron on Hard. It took me until I was almost 13 to get a brain and start pacing myself with Easy and Normal modes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:04:16 AM by MoisChanvsTamama »

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure laser-Marisa is one of the worst possible choices. The glowing options prevent you from seeing right in front of you, and the bomb paralyzes you completely. Trust Zengeku and just use SanaeB if you don't want to kill yourself with rage.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2012, 02:02:46 AM »
Ahem.

It's not worth it to get 2/5 of a life and end up losing a bomb/full life in the process.

Yes, exactly. It's not worth it. Just as it is not always worth it to grab every single UFO just because it's part of your chain. In fact, you would be amazed how much farther your resources can take you if you hold off on chaining entirely. Doesn't mean you can ignore it, not by a long shot, but you should plan out a general and flexible UFO route for resource gaining. Yes, this means memorizing what color UFOs come out from what enemies, but this really isn't any more painful than memorizing any other part of the stage.

You can tell when a game is irritatingly hard when you memorize the fucking STAGE THEMES, FOR GOD'S SAKE.

I know this will sound condescending, but that's the kind of series Touhou is, and you need to get used to it if you want to get better. In fact, ideally you will use the stage themes to orient yourself as to what is coming up. There is not a single stage in the series that doesn't have a music cue to let you know when something is coming up.

2. I said most of them are shitty. These would be Sanae's Homing Snakes, Marisa's Shortwave, SOMETIMES the fucking lasers, and of course Homing Reimu. The problem is that I'm best at dodging with Marisa (I don't know why, fast dodging is easy for me. I play DoDonPachi every now and then), and both Reimu and Sanae have their own problems. Reimu for one, is just... I don't know, the speed's just weird the way I see. Her needle type shot is awesome, but you need to be able to dodge easily. Sanae's Spread Frogs... Sanae's a little slippery to control, but her frogs go everywhere and are moderately strong, yet I still fucking suck with them. With Marisa, I can dodge like nothing. Problem is, I suck at aiming with Marisa for just why I like her: She's fast.

This is really up to your preference, but I can tell you from experience that Reimu's speed is more than adequate for dodging anything in the game. Not only that, but she has the benefit of a smaller hitbox - something that is really useful in UFO, due to the unforgiving hitboxes of the most commonly used bullets. If you're using Marisa, it may take some time to get used to her, but I guarantee you'll be seeing results of some kind if you stick with Reimu A (or even Reimu B).

Yes, UFO is difficult. Out of the main shooters, it is definitely the most difficult in terms of danmaku. However, it is far from impossible. Whether you like the UFO system or not, it is important to play by the rules of the game, while also mastering it. Watch replays. Study them, and see how they collect UFOs. If you play your spell cards right, you can have as much of a margin of error as 14 deaths, and gather enough bombs to cheese Byakuren entirely.

Of course, if you don't want to play UFO, then that's that. You shouldn't play a game that you don't like unless you've got some big mission. But, if you are willing to overcome this challenge, we will be at your service. o> Just know that you will need to be more specific with your problems than "AAAGGHGHGAGHAGGHHHH."
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:07:12 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »
Ahem.

1. Yes, exactly. It's not worth it. Just as it is not always worth it to grab every single UFO just because it's part of your chain. In fact, you would be amazed how much farther your resources can take you if you hold off on chaining entirely. Doesn't mean you can ignore it, not by a long shot, but you should plan out a general and flexible UFO route for resource gaining. Yes, this means memorizing what color UFOs come out from what enemies, but this really isn't any more painful than memorizing any other part of the stage.

2. I know this will sound condescending, but that's the kind of series Touhou is, and you need to get used to it if you want to get better. In fact, ideally you will use the stage themes to orient yourself as to what is coming up. There is not a single stage in the series that doesn't have a music cue to let you know when something is coming up.

3. This is really up to your preference, but I can tell you from experience that Reimu's speed is more than adequate for dodging anything in the game. Not only that, but she has the benefit of a smaller hitbox - something that is really useful in UFO, due to the unforgiving hitboxes of the most commonly used bullets. If you're using Marisa, it may take some time to get used to her, but I guarantee you'll be seeing results of some kind if you stick with Reimu A (or even Reimu B).

4. Yes, UFO is difficult. Out of the main shooters, it is definitely the most difficult in terms of danmaku. However, it is far from impossible. Whether you like the UFO system or not, it is important to play by the rules of the game, while also mastering it. Watch replays. Study them, and see how they collect UFOs. If you play your spell cards right, you can have as much of a margin of error as 14 deaths, and gather enough bombs to cheese Byakuren entirely.

Of course, if you don't want to play UFO, then that's that. You shouldn't play a game that you don't like unless you've got some big mission. But, if you are willing to overcome this challenge, we will be at your service. o>

1. I go nuts over resources because I'm a paranoid little bitch in these games. If I lose resources in Stages 1 or 2 (For some games, 3), I flip out and restart the game. For this game, I decided to set major resource limits. If I miss, say, two bombs or lose a life or two unfairly (As in clipping ftl), I will restart. However that rule is nulled once I hit Stage 4.

2. Yes, I know this. The problem with this game in particular I've memorized the themes so well that when I hear the songs outside of a Touhou game, I imagine every single god damn track of the MIDI file. And I swear to god if you even mention At the End of Spring to me, I will flip out and start raging like a rabid teddy bear. For some reason I STILL FUCKING ENJOY NAZRIN'S THEME.

3. Oh trust me, I use a controller, and I suck with a keyboard. My controller's really good for dodging but occasionally my thumb slips and makes the character run smack dab into the bullet anyway. Most of the reason I hate Reimu A and B in this game is because for A, I'm sick of the fucking needles (THOSE SHADES OF YELLOW AND ORANGE ARE BURNED INTO MY RETINAS), and for B, I just hate Homing Amulet Type Reimu. She's just never fun (ESPECIALLY in SA, where they go through the enemies, making me feel like they're not doing anything). Plus, when I'm trying to tell a UFO to fuck off and give me my resources, Reimu's attacking a fairy.

4. ...I never thought of that. I feel so stupid! I mean seriously what part of me denied looking at the damn replays?!

Thank you for the advice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:22:45 AM by MoisChanvsTamama »

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2012, 02:43:14 AM »
Can I also point out that there's nothing wrong with bombing before stage 4? I'm pretty sure when I did Lunatic I bombed all of Kogasa and Ichirin's spells (not to mention all of the spells for the rest of the game as well). Kogasa's first spell in particular is demonic if you don't safespot it.
And as for using a controller, I've never tried it, and I know some people use them, but... they sound dubious to me.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2012, 02:54:14 AM »
Can I also point out that there's nothing wrong with bombing before stage 4?
For Touhou 12, I don't bomb before stage 3. Stage 3 I can take because Ichirin's last spell is a fucking asshole.

I'm pretty sure when I did Lunatic I bombed all of Kogasa and Ichirin's spells (not to mention all of the spells for the rest of the game as well).
I will just not accept that. If I can't go without bombing repeatedly before Stage 3/4 (Depending on game), I say fuck it.

Kogasa's first spell in particular is demonic if you don't safespot it.
If midboss spell, I could do that even on Lunatic. If regular fight, yeah I just say fuck it on Lunatic.

And as for using a controller, I've never tried it, and I know some people use them, but... they sound dubious to me.
It depends on the controller, really. Do NOT use an Xbox 360 controller for Touhou, it is the most shitty thing to use for Touhou because of the analog stick's uneven structure, being smooth in parts and stiff in others.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:11:42 PM by MoisChanvsTamama »

Enjoy.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2012, 03:15:09 AM »
I will just not accept that. If I can't go without bombing repeatedly before Stage 3/4 (Depending on game), I say fuck it.

I was going to stay quiet about it, but I'm afraid I must insist that you desist that mindset. UFO is not the game to let pride control your actions. It is quite likely your frustrations stem from the conditions you just described. I've had utterly terrible runs that still reach Shou, and that's because I kept going forward despite everything. Now, stage 1 I can understand, but Kogasa is the hardest stage 2 boss in the series; it will take a lot more than swearing to get past her consistently without dying or bombing.

In general, you should make it a habit to never restart after stage 2. Many fine things have bad starts that are made up for later, and repeating the same two or three stages is terribly stressful. You'll have more fun and make more progress if you see every run through to the end.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Zil

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2012, 03:28:47 AM »
It depends on the controller Do NOT use an Xbox 360 controller for Touhou. It is the most shitty thing to use for Touhou because of the analog stick's uneven structure, being smooth in parts and stiff in others.
Well, my personal impression is that no matter how skilled a player is, using a controller has certain limitations. For example, while moving to the right, I can press the left arrow without even letting go of the right one to get a near instantaneous change in direction. (This can screw me up in PC-98 where holding both arrows makes you stop moving, but that's another matter). I'd think that the kind of control you get with a keyboard would be humanly impossible with a controller, what with managing all directions with one thumb, so you might want to give the keyboard another try. (Of course I'm just speculating, as I said I've never tried a controller ::))

Also I support what Donut said.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:31:09 AM by Zil »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2012, 03:48:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure laser-Marisa is one of the worst possible choices. The glowing options prevent you from seeing right in front of you, and the bomb paralyzes you completely. Trust Zengeku and just use SanaeB if you don't want to kill yourself with rage.
Time to play Devil's Advocate: my first UFO normal 1cc was with MarisaA.  It was an AWFUL run, but somehow I managed (2 bomb Flying Fantastica when I'd failed with 2 lives in stock before).  HOWEVER, I still suggest SanaeB because of my hard mode experiences.

I've used a controller before and a keyboard allows more precise movements and also faster turnarounds.  Also I kept moving diagonally when I meant to move straight.  and bombing is harder.  I can do IN hard in my sleep, but barely managed a 1cc on a controller.

On what donut said about lives in UFO, I cleared the game without bombing on a horrible run.  14 deaths, 2 lives to spare, and I could have gotten one more life.  Also, red UFOs give 2/4 of a life, and greens 1 1/3 of a bomb.

When I beat UFO hard I was happy to avoid a death before the end of Stage 2, and psyched if I didn't die until Ichirin.

Oh, and SA shot types?  ReimuA/ReimuC tie as my favorite.

If I haven't uploaded my UFO no bomb run to gensoyko.org I should do that, wither way I'm linking to it here.

no bombs normal: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17818
hard mode: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=16583
first normal 1cc: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17819  (don't do this)

EDIT: something about Ten Desires makes me start sucking.  I just double KOed the Stage  midboss but miraculously deathbombed, then double KOed Yuyuko's opener.  Try again, die to Yuyuko's opener.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
I was going to stay quiet about it, but I'm afraid I must insist that you desist that mindset. UFO is not the game to let pride control your actions. It is quite likely your frustrations stem from the conditions you just described. I've had utterly terrible runs that still reach Shou, and that's because I kept going forward despite everything. Now, stage 1 I can understand, but Kogasa is the hardest stage 2 boss in the series; it will take a lot more than swearing to get past her consistently without dying or bombing.

In general, you should make it a habit to never restart after stage 2. Many fine things have bad starts that are made up for later, and repeating the same two or three stages is terribly stressful. You'll have more fun and make more progress if you see every run through to the end.

Yeah, I see where you're getting at. It wasn't until recently that I could perfect Kogasa on Normal. However, I've gone runs in UFO without dying until stage 4, and runs where I just refused to bomb. One of these was my Easy 1cc. I really... Basically, I upload my replays to YouTube if they're massive achievements like 1cc runs, Extra Clears, etc. and I don't want to look stupid. Given, I REALLY enjoy these games, but I don't want to look stupid (Then again, that big rage post earlier kinda throws that ideal out the window) by dying or bombing in an early stage. The only public exception is when I said fuck it while doing a run of EoSD when I died on Stage 3 FUCKING TWICE and in that run was my first Normal 1cc, and I still had a spare life left when I defeated Remilia. I bombed through Red Magic but clearly I don't give a shit.

1. Time to play Devil's Advocate: my first UFO normal 1cc was with MarisaA.  It was an AWFUL run, but somehow I managed (2 bomb Flying Fantastica when I'd failed with 2 lives in stock before).  HOWEVER, I still suggest SanaeB because of my hard mode experiences.

2. I've used a controller before and a keyboard allows more precise movements and also faster turnarounds.  Also I kept moving diagonally when I meant to move straight.  and bombing is harder.  I can do IN hard in my sleep, but barely managed a 1cc on a controller.

3. On what donut said about lives in UFO, I cleared the game without bombing on a horrible run.  14 deaths, 2 lives to spare, and I could have gotten one more life.  Also, red UFOs give 2/4 of a life, and greens 1 1/3 of a bomb.

When I beat UFO hard I was happy to avoid a death before the end of Stage 2, and psyched if I didn't die until Ichirin.

Oh, and SA shot types?  ReimuA/ReimuC tie as my favorite.

1. Yeah, I like Laser Type because it makes item collection and vertical enemy placement a breeze to rush through. I'm rather good with SanaeB, but to tell the truth I'm downright awful when it comes to leveling out my sanity as her. I've gotten full stocks of lives and bombs that I've gone nuts in Stage 5 over and blown the rest out in stage 6. I've gotten eight lives and bombs in Stage 4, ending out with absolutely no shit to defend myself on stage 6. See how much I suck at 4 and 5? Speaking of 5, I can't capture some cards and I just use the good ol' FiB (Fuck it Bomb, or "Fuck it, Bomb"). One example is that one card where the two lightsaber things spin around and position themselves on where you are at certain parts and to tell the truth I fucking hate it. If I absolutely can't find a way, expect me in the Spell Card Help section.

2. I use a controller that's actually kinda special. it's firm and responsive to everything, and since I absolutely suck with a keyboard (I'm sooner to learn Calculus in the tenth grade than 1cc something with a keyboard), a controller's really good for me. I can do only seven-pixel dodges with a keyboard, but I've managed two to three pixel streaming with a controller.

3. Uh, no. I've played the game long enough to tell you that Red UFOs give off 2/5 of a life and 1/5 when killed on the spot, and Green UFOs give off 1 1/3 of a Bomb if they're filled, just 1/3 if they aren't. You were right about the greens, but I've had tons of dying and game overs because I thought I'd get a life after two red UFOs. And yes, I filled/cleared both of the UFOs.

Well, my personal impression is that no matter how skilled a player is, using a controller has certain limitations. For example, while moving to the right, I can press the left arrow without even letting go of the right one to get a near instantaneous change in direction. (This can screw me up in PC-98 where holding both arrows makes you stop moving, but that's another matter). I'd think that the kind of control you get with a keyboard would be humanly impossible with a controller, what with managing all directions with one thumb, so you might want to give the keyboard another try. (Of course I'm just speculating, as I said I've never tried a controller ::))

Also I support what Donut said.

I tried the fucking keyboard, and it pretty much disables me from grazing for score alone. I don't like using the keyboard much, but I'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:52:57 AM by MoisChanvsTamama »

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »
Each pink star is 1/4 of a life. Also, reds are the better choice of UFO in my opinion, as they give more total resources, and you can't lose lives without using them.