Author Topic: Touhou 13: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Ten Desires. Full desired article. [spoiler warning]  (Read 147001 times)

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
I'm sick and tired of people who think one part of the Stage 4 boss's theme sounds like another song.
I still dont hear anything the same besides the ending.  I don't get it how people can still say that one song sounds like another song.

I can't hear it either.

(but the Stage 4 theme DOES seem to be a nice background to this if slowed down.)
Oh hey there Barbie Girl. You are in a Barbie World. Made of Plastic, so fantastic!  :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:01:08 AM by Bugsy »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
I wonder what is next, people going to compare Mamizou's theme to Flandre's ?

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
They're going to complain how Zun's running out of ideas and just think everyone in the 10D cast is just a rehash oh wait, there are a couple of people who think that.

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname

Naw, it doesn't sound like her theme.

It sounds like Nazrin's!  :V

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Erm.. Nue's third card is pretty much a "Then there will be none" copy.  :V

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
Erm.. Nue's third card is pretty much a "Then there will be none" copy.  :V
Cranberry Trap is glaring at you. :V

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
I think Seiga's theme sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ACKuhjC0qc&feature=player_detailpage#t=28s
Compare that part the beginning of her theme.  Some people also say it sounds like Pokemon battle music.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
The allegations of ZUN copying music from others or reusing his own are all rather silly. It's as if musical phrases can't be thought up by more than one person. And the connection between Old Distant Hermit and Necro-Fantasy doesn't sound close at all.

That all said, from the second I heard it, I thought that the extra stage theme sounded an awful lot like this song from Bomberman 64: The Second Attack. An amusing coincidence, in my opinion. :3
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.

Well, not really, but...

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Well, not really, but...
I'm tempted to add a picture of a certain Parsee card in there :P

Just cleared Easy with Youmu, so I have all four charas cleared on Easy now. This is defintely the fastest I've ever done that, especially after UFO, where I've got exactly one single clear, so yeah, this game ranks amongst the easier ones for me, but not in a bad way! Gonna try Normal next~

The allegations of ZUN copying music from others or reusing his own are all rather silly. It's as if musical phrases can't be thought up by more than one person.

Perhabs ZUN has heard the music in question earlier in some irrelevant context and then was unconsciously inspired by it when he made the music.
That being said yeah, there are quite some songs in Touhou that really sounds similar to other songs. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
Well, not really, but...
Oh hey, that's my picture! :D

Anyway, what Zengeku said is absolutely correct.  Perhaps the most glaring "copied" song is Septette for the Dead Princess, which bears striking similarities to "Beethoven Virus".  However, beyond that one musical phrase, the rest of Septette is totally different.  Some people call this plagiarism on ZUN's part, but I think of it more as a tribute to Beethoven, with his own personal spin on it.  (I highly doubt that that entire phrase was invented by coincidence)

Dead Princess Sakana

Perhaps the most glaring "copied" song is Septette for the Dead Princess, which bears striking similarities to "Beethoven Virus".  However, beyond that one musical phrase, the rest of Septette is totally different.  Some people call this plagiarism on ZUN's part, but I think of it more as a tribute to Beethoven, with his own personal spin on it.  (I highly doubt that that entire phrase was invented by coincidence)
Yeah, clearly he ripped off that 2007/2008 song in his 2002 game :P

You could at least have linked to a proper version of the original sonata by Beethoven, where the similarity is still there at the very start, but it's not nearly big enough to talk about "plagiarism".

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Logically my post was an extremely sarcastic one. My point was: Sometimes people just over-think things and they force themselves to find SOMETHING that will make them go like: "OMG THIS 1/3TH SECOND OF THIS MELODY SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE NECROFANTASIA"

If you start comparing music, spell cards and art or w/e the hell like that then yes, stuff is going to look similar in your eyes. Sometimes, your brain just wants you to see or hear things while it isn't actually there. A famous example is a series of pieces from a song being presented with subtitling. They are not the lyrics but stuff people think it sounds like. And it does sound like the subtitles if you force your brain into it.

TL DR;   dwi

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
Yeah, clearly he ripped off that 2007/2008 song in his 2002 game :P

You could at least have linked to a proper version of the original sonata by Beethoven, where the similarity is still there at the very start, but it's not nearly big enough to talk about "plagiarism".
Ahh, my bad. :getdown:

But regardless, the point I'm agreeing with is that ZUN hasn't blatantly ripped-off anything as far as I know, and just because some phrases he composes sound similar to other songs, doesn't mean it's bad or anything, whereas some people out there think it is.

(Reminds me of that whole discussion a while back about that guy who was all "OMG ZUN STOLE MY OC DESIGN FOR MAMIZOU!!!" :V)

Dead Princess Sakana

(Reminds me of that whole discussion a while back about that guy who was all "OMG ZUN STOLE MY OC DESIGN FOR MAMIZOU!!!" :V)
About that one, someone linked a picture on IRC recently where characters from all Touhou works, including the printworks, were portrayed, and there was a tanuki amongst them, with a leaf on her head. I suppose that's simply a pretty common way to portray tanuki in human form or something?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Same thing like portraying Shrinemaiden with sleeves and ribbons?

Also is it me, or does Mamizou kind of feel like an wise adult or something. Her theme song and appearance kind of keeps giving this feeling for me.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Also is it me, or does Mamizou kind of feel like an wise adult or something. Her theme song and appearance kind of keeps giving this feeling for me.

It's not just you, she seems kinda like the Older Aunt/Big Sister to me.
Y'know, the sort that's been all over the world and brings home souvenirs from places like Africa, Siberia, and so on.
She just feels like that to me, dunno why though.

Either that, or the "Larger-than Life Fisherwoman", based on her references to the sea/ocean.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

necorelli

• i'll stab you with an end pin
    • twitter
Perhaps the most glaring "copied" song is Septette for the Dead Princess, which bears striking similarities to "Beethoven Virus".  However, beyond that one musical phrase, the rest of Septette is totally different.  Some people call this plagiarism on ZUN's part, but I think of it more as a tribute to Beethoven, with his own personal spin on it.  (I highly doubt that that entire phrase was invented by coincidence)

I almost hate to do this, but I like to think that ZUN used the opening phrase from the rondo of Beethoven's Pathetique sonata. You know, rather than a 2008 song created from a game. :v But you know, the more that I think about it, either would be possible, knowing how ZUN is like... In any case, I believe that ZUN just likes 'quoting' or 'sampling' things, be it in spellcard names, dialogue, or music. Besides, artists have been quoting things from other's music since music existed.  For example: remember that M.I.A. song 'Paper Planes'? Derp, the entire background parts of the song is sampled from The Clash's 'Staight to Hell.'
my cello is a bit too big

Metaflare

aaaaaaa I finally 1cc'd on normal!  :getdown: Now to try the extra sta-*dies*

...welp :V

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
Same thing like portraying Shrinemaiden with sleeves and ribbons?

It's not just you, she seems kinda like the Older Aunt/Big Sister to me.
Y'know, the sort that's been all over the world and brings home souvenirs from places like Africa, Siberia, and so on.
She just feels like that to me, dunno why though.

Either that, or the "Larger-than Life Fisherwoman", based on her references to the sea/ocean.

This is exactly how I feel about Mamizou. One of the many reasons I love her so muchies.  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
I find it hard to see Mamizou as the "trump card" of youkai, much less an equal rival to the kitsune. She just seems to lack... Grandioseness?
Her theme is great, though.

Also, Mamizou says she came from Sado. Looks like youkai actually can move in and out of Gensokyo. It also makes me wonder how other youkai societies are working out.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
I find it hard to see Mamizou as the "trump card" of youkai, much less an equal rival to the kitsune. She just seems to lack... Grandioseness?

That's another advantage of being Mamizou. You're much stronger than you look. People couldn't possibly take her seriously with that look. But then BAM!, gingerbread man to the face.  :getdown:

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
there was a tanuki amongst them, with a leaf on her head. I suppose that's simply a pretty common way to portray tanuki in human form or something?
Well, you have some sources and stories with the tanuki putting a leaf on its head and chanting before transforming.   This one is missing the leaf on its head, but you can see the leaf outside the puf of smoke.

I'm not sure whether she is transforming or Reimu is blowing her up  :3
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Some sources I've seen indicate that they use leaves as a body double trick, like ninjas.
And they also use them in quick-escape tricks, also like ninjas.

So if Reimu did blast her, she only hit a copy.
And if Reimu didn't blast her, then that's just the leaf left behind from a quick-escape.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Metaflare

So basically tanuki are ninjas

Dead Princess Sakana

With giant balls :V

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Now you got me imagining Mamizou singing Great Balls of Fire.

I hope you are happy.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
Now you got me imagining Mamizou singing Great Balls of Fire.

I hope you are happy.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Bang Install.  :V

Metaflare

Today I learned that in Seiga's second spellcard Yoshika follows you around the screen.

It's more obvious in hard and lunatic, because her position doesn't get reset after she dies.

zombie wants your braaaaaaaiiiiiins
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:41:52 PM by Metaflare »