Author Topic: Genius of Sappheiros revival thread  (Read 194142 times)

Re: Genius of Sappheiros revival thread
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:28 AM »
As far as I can remember, Kaguya's got a couple interesting weaknesses you can exploit. Berserk, Charm, and Control, too I think. After that, you can basically make her do anything you want. You can even make her flee the battle, though I think one of Kaguya's skills are copyable with Satori. Don't quote me on that though.

On another note, I don't remember Alice being quite that hard before. Then again, I was using Sanae in my active party back then. Apparently, she's about the only character you have that can take out Alice's attack dolls. Everything else was doing 0-6 damage.

Heading up to stage 4 now, and I'm going to be grinding the rest of my party in preparations for the inevitable stage 9, ie. Nitori and Alice.

Edit: I still can't get past the retarded game crashes in pretty much every dialogue sequence in the game. Running Sappheiros in compatibility with WIndows 95 isn't helping either.

The crashes happen at cutscene transitions only, right? Not in the middle of  a dialogue?
Apparently some people don't crash even without 95 compatibility mode.  The only guess into what causes these crashes is tied to how directx is used in  the game. So it's really system specific.

I had issues with this fight, even knowing that Kaguya was vulnerable to control.  I just focused on taking out Eirin while consistently controlling Kaguya to buff and heal my team. Once Eirin is down, I cheesed Kaguya by controlling her and repeatability attempting to flee; causing her to leave the battle. I never had enough momentum to beat Kaguya after defeating Eirin(no mp), and if you beat Kaguya first; Eirin will heal like crazy. 

Sakuya's skills didn't have much trouble hitting Eirin, her normal attacks missed a ton though. 

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »
It's right in the middle of dialogue, though not always at the same line. So it might be directx, but I'm still not sure how to fix it. I did update my video card drivers a week or two ago though.

The crash never happens with the original japanese files, by the way. So I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »
Bleh, is there a manditory level grind before Eirin/Kaggy? My party is 24-30 I just can't kill em before I'm out of mp, and even then it requires luck. Eirin is perfectly capable of 1-shotting my entire party minus the tank (even when I have defense buffs active) with her starlight shot. I there some way to dispell kaggy's buffs? I've tried dispell permanent, and dispell variety, but the only thing they dispell is any debuffs I've managed to land on them of all things. Fail.
My party was around 28 when I took down Eirin and Kaguya.  I brought along Satori who was pretty much dead weight because I wanted to learn Kaguya's heal.  Byakuren basically kept Kaguya out of the fight while I beat down Eirin, after she was gone Kaguya was a piece of cake.

I also loaded Marisa up with some laser spells since they damage Eirin and Kaguya at the same time.  She was my primary damage dealer.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
Oh, man. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen good news about GoS and I'm so glad that it's happening. I kinda hung things up when patching difficulties had really stalled things some months ago. With the progress I've seen, I should be able to show off the work Choja et al. (I confess I don't know team so well :/) have been getting done on the patch at the next few convention Touhou panels I hope to be a part of.

It's a real shame that I have about 5 current videogame projects lined up in parallel. This could get messy.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Moekou

• Hourai Doll
  • Nyo~
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »
When I use command skills game freezes. It's like this in both the 95 and XP modes. Did you guys have to do anything special to be able to use Command skills?
Never forget these eternal words of wisdom: "Take it easy!"

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
It's right in the middle of dialogue, though not always at the same line. So it might be directx, but I'm still not sure how to fix it. I did update my video card drivers a week or two ago though.

The crash never happens with the original japanese files, by the way. So I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

Seems like you are a unique case, you shouldn't get dialogue crashes in the middle of lines.
I'm no wiki master, but I guess a prudent thing to do would be to get the cutscene scripts onto the wiki for those who have had to skip parts.

Oh, man. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen good news about GoS and I'm so glad that it's happening. I kinda hung things up when patching difficulties had really stalled things some months ago. With the progress I've seen, I should be able to show off the work Choja et al. (I confess I don't know team so well :/) have been getting done on the patch at the next few convention Touhou panels I hope to be a part of.

It's a real shame that I have about 5 current videogame projects lined up in parallel. This could get messy.

I took over the project from where Choja left off. It's nice of you to get the word out about the team's efforts!

When I use command skills game freezes. It's like this in both the 95 and XP modes. Did you guys have to do anything special to be able to use Command skills?

Sounds like you have an odd bug. Make sure you are updated, and check if it happens without the english patch.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »
Cleared stages 7 & 8 in today's session, yay!

Grinding to get everyone up to speed for the party split hijinks of stage 9...oh dear  :ohdear:.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:45 PM »
About the Kaguya/Eirin fight thing, for one, yeah, Control.

Poison Shield formation with Alice in the front and Parraring the back also helps a lot.

Debuff Kaguya's MAtk when you aren't controlling her (Like, after Eirin goes down; Byakuren can do this since she can't control anymore anyway) and she'll hit like a kitten.

Marisa's Lasers with some POW investment, and Nitori's guns can get a slayer effect on both of those two. Nitori's guns plus her Radiate skill from maxing guns, with a nice P.Atk buff... holy goddamn that damage. You can take Eirin out FAST, and then Kaguya is a piece of cake. More damage if you have Kaguya buff your party's damage.

Hitting Y (or whichever button it was) will change the party you're targetting, by the way, so that can you target your own party with spells when controlling for Satori to learn them, including Kaguya's Heal.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »
Well I beat em. but yeah, none of the mentioned strategies were worth @#%@#.

First off, I don't know why, but my sakuya can't hit eirin, skills or not. The only one that ever hit for me were those 2mp "nukes" that can debuff...They never would though. Controlling Kaggy also rarely worked. I had byakuren equipped with the best scroll available, had much induction, even worse a +30 induction accessory, and casted hyper trigger on herself, but control/charm would fail 8 times out of 10, and the few times they did work, they would normally only last one turn, making it useless since kaggy tends to cast something bad after being controlled on that turn anyway (sometimes, it's odd, it's like the game isn't sure if whatever she casts is supposed to be on my side or hers), and no, I wans't meleeing her while controlled.

Nitori with the slayers and radiate was the FIRST thing I tried, but yeah, she'd miss alot (less than sakuya thankfully), and despite the slayer effect, her hits wouldn't do more than 300 total. I had more luck using sunny flare or whatever it's called, would hit 200ish, both people and wouldn't miss. Marisa with slaying lasers was what i mentioned earlier, would hit for about 500 to each. 900 if I buffed her and kaggy did NOT buff herself, but 200-400ish if she did. It was all very doable minus the whole kaggy can heal herself completely part. In the end I found that I had better luck forgoing using marisa's lasers, and using patchy+ marisa instead for patchy's elemental land buff, Patchy could do fair damage, and Marisa did the same as before (500 base 900 buffed, 200-400 kaggy buffed), only her elemental nukes cost only 3mp if I need economy. I also needed luck on my side to make sure kaggy didn't offensive buff + eirin starlight arrow, There still seems to be no defense against that. At one point kaggy did offensive buff, and eirin used "apollo 13", which I thought would be an even BIGGER oh shit situation, but thankfully it wasn't >=).

One thing I've noticed about this game which is odd, is that as I go further in the game, it seems like enemies drop less Power. I figured it must scale by level or something, but no. I went back to the SDM, and I'd end battles with over 10 power rewarded regularly. But there are many tough fights in current content that still drop something stupid like 3-4! This means that if you level grind earlier in the game, you'll actually be more powerful if you do it later  (unless it grows back up again later later), even if the end result levels are the same. Unless you level grind old content that is.

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 02:22:16 AM »
Power does not increase as you get further through the game. In fact, you'd eventually get more out of slaughtering every moving thing in early Stages merely because they're so simple to kill.

5 months and still no Excalibur or Gold Tray. In fact, Stage 21 just hates me in general.
Why does this game hate me so much  :V

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 03:19:32 AM »
I've always had issues with trying to get things to respawn more quickly :| it's a pain to grind when you have to keep switching between high level and low level dungeons.

Tips plox.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:32:59 AM by Syanas »

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 04:42:26 AM »
I've always had issues with trying to get things to respawn more quickly :| it's a pain to grind when you have to keep switching between high level and low level dungeons.

Tips plox.

Enter and exit a dungeon about thirty times.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 03:13:06 AM »
Ah yes, I forgot how miserable Mind Flayers were. Now I'm on stage 5, with a decently average level party (except for Aya, I never really found much of a use for her, so she's stuck at level 6). I'm already starting to slack on careful battling due to the fact that I know I'm going to have to farm a whole bunch of materials for the third tier weapons.

Moekou

• Hourai Doll
  • Nyo~
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but for people wondering what Aya's Scan is for, it adds flavor text for each enemy, (which you can see by pressing X to switch the normal drop box to the info box), so she's actually one of the characters I prioritize leveling in. Gotta catch 'em all!

Bosses don't need to be scanned.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:47 AM »
This game is funs. I'm at kanako/suwako now, I opted to try and beat em without death or petrify, it was hairy and messy, but I did it. Really though, while I have no problems using Alice during bosses, it's a shame that she seems flat out required for all these 1shot your whole party unless Alice blocks for everyone deals. I seem to be a donation box magnet too, I've got 5 from trash drops now, yet still not a single other character item like silver tray from trash, boo.

As for aya, I find she's actually rather useful for exploring. Her everyone moves first ability is absolutely amazing for yukkuris, along with tough fights that can wipe you out if you don't buff up first (like those elite devil and angel/power/whatever combos), her regular auto attacks are respectable too (like mokou I guess), and breath immunity to the party makes certain areas much much safer. Even if not, you should make her command sometimes for her 3 bomb support skill, it's basically an iwin button for most trash, great for groups that are dangerous (multiple mindflayer groups for instance).

I find that character balance for final attacks to be hilarious though. Nitori's for example blows, shoot a missle to hit just one dude for less damage than a single stony no-bomb nuke like full moon slice, radiate, etc. Patrice is seemingly 50% more powerful, and hits ALL enemies.

But then you have god tiers like marisa's and Sakuya's, which can make a seemingly impossible boss fight turn into a cakewalk.

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
Welp... Mindflayers = Source of all evil.

They are so far the only things to have wiped me.
I am a compulsive post editor. There is a 95% chance that any post you see from me will have gone through at least 3 edits. Often more.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
Put 10 points into raymoo's barrier tree and open up with evil sealing circle when you see em, they become much less nasty. Of course killing them in 1 turn when there are more than 1 isn't an option probably, I find they don't par your party as often after turn 1. I suppose the right element thing works without 10 points into barrier, but I dunno which it is myself.

Moekou

• Hourai Doll
  • Nyo~
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »
Put 10 points into raymoo's barrier tree and open up with evil sealing circle when you see em, they become much less nasty. Of course killing them in 1 turn when there are more than 1 isn't an option probably, I find they don't par your party as often after turn 1. I suppose the right element thing works without 10 points into barrier, but I dunno which it is myself.
Ironically their mind flaying attack is one of the only ones my Satori learned completely by accident, so I'm running around spamming it. Too bad she doesn't really have much in MP recovery options compared to some others like Sanae, who often gets much of the MP cost back when she uses Serpent Bomb on parties.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
Ironically their mind flaying attack is one of the only ones my Satori learned completely by accident, so I'm running around spamming it. Too bad she doesn't really have much in MP recovery options compared to some others like Sanae, who often gets much of the MP cost back when she uses Serpent Bomb on parties.
Satori can uses Staves for 3 mp recovery plus MP drain on physicals, and 3% mp drain on physicals can have her regening more MP then she uses with some skills, especially on things weak to Smash attacks. Buuuut her physicals aren't very strong, at least not with a staff, unless the target is weak to smash.

Although, really, at Stage 11 and so far there is absolutely nothing that my Satori could do that would be better then Poison Art, damage-wise; give her The Green Eyes and any poison boost equipment you have, along with your best Launch earrings and max Trauma tree, it almost always hits to non-immune enemies and deals huge damage for only 6 mp. If I don't want Poison, I can use Petro Breath or Mind Blast to make everything stop moving forever, but it's more taxing on her MP; with enough POW and the right staff EVENTUALLY I can circumvent that though.

<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:11 AM »
wtf, I can't get past stage 14. I just can't seem to find a switch that deactivates a certain electrical barrier... I blocked the barrier leading to the healing circle, made both horizontal/vertial barriers go vertical, and left the dungeon as instructed, but.. nothing's changed, that damn barrier is still there, arghagh.

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
Funny.  The wiki tells me stage 7 is suppose to be more straight forward than the other stages I've done so far.  If it's so straight forward, why am I still stuck trying to find my way around the place whereas I could do the other stages in one sitting?  ???

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
Yeah the wiki says every stage is simple and straight forward, EVEN FOR THIS GAME (it emphasizes that like every time) when this game has like.. the least straight forward dungeons I've seen that aren't intended to be labyrinth-type games.
I figured out stage 14, it cheats, it gives you a handy shortcut from stage 14 to the entrance of stage 13, but it's impossible to progress if you actually USE the damn thing, and instead you have to re-do the old route all over gain kinda.. pretty cruel, especially since it's absolutely impossible to figure that out without oodles and oodles of plain old trial and error.

After that, I'm rewarded with more crashing, doh.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
Current status...grabbed almost every weapon, armor, shield, and accessory drop from stage 1-8 enemies, only lacking the Yukkuri Medal that Yukkuris fork over.  Took me like 2 hours of hunting Gold Beetles for the Cumula Amulet in stage 7 and roughly an hour hunting axe fairies in stage 8 for the Defender shield though.

Now working on grinding low level people up.  Saving my lv1 Satori though so I can get that one formation which requires something like 30 party wipes I believe, then I'll start leveling her.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
Speaking of satori, I can't be bothered to waste time learning all her spells. Anybody have a list of just the must-haves to make her good? So far every one I get seems like an inferior version of what others do. Like I thought demon shock would be great since dark damage is so rare, but using it on enemies weak to dark, it does like half the damage byakuren's level 1 dark spell does, without the debuff to boot... Booo.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
Speaking of satori, I can't be bothered to waste time learning all her spells. Anybody have a list of just the must-haves to make her good? So far every one I get seems like an inferior version of what others do. Like I thought demon shock would be great since dark damage is so rare, but using it on enemies weak to dark, it does like half the damage byakuren's level 1 dark spell does, without the debuff to boot... Booo.
You have to keep in mind that, in order to do good damage, you have to actually concentrate on her damage POW trees; 13 points in Third Eye tree or whatever it's called for +30 Patk/Matk, at LEAST enough in her learning tree for +20% damage (20 points is +40% damage!!), and then spare going into Staff for more Matk. Replace "Staff" with spear or Eye if you're using physicals, or if actually have the appropriate Eye to boost the elemental damage.

Although I like to use Breaths with staves for MP regen and activating Nitori's chasers. I got really lucky with getting all 3 chaser-element breaths by sheer chance though >>; 

Her magic attacks should be doing nice damage after you do all that POW stuff and with a staff; mine are at least. I have no idea if Demon Shock is physical or not, but that might be why.  The attacks I would say are good to grab are her All-Target elemental magics (Flame, Frost, Earthquake, -iunno what the lightning one is-, Energy Bomb, Shadow Burst, Shining Stars), and it's pretty easy to grab the single-target versions from like, Stage 1 fairies.

Mine is doing very similar damage to Patchouli with her all-target magics, haven't compared whether to say it's actually better or not; I think it's a little better, but Patch gets stronger versions soon, but Satori also gets Mystic/Dark/Light I suppose. Also VERYYYYYYY useful to have both Satori and Patch activating Nitori's chasers for big elemental damage on everything.

Whether your Satori churns out nice non-poison damage or not, status effect spells, notably Mind Blast and Petro Breath (And Poison Art :3), are nice. And the last good thing Satori can do is support in bosses; for that, the must-haves are Area Heal, perhaps Mass Heal too. Nifty ones to bring along for support Satori also include Refresh(Restore health equal to your HP, iunno how useful it is), Shield Wall(Reduce physical damage), Leaf Shield (Your target is invincible to the next attack), and Starlight Barrier (Leaf but on the whole party). Raise Dead also seems nifty, and it's the one I have no idea where you get it from :V And if she isn't busy healing or buffing, she can of course debuff the boss instead; some learned spells allow you to debuff stats she can't initally (Like Matk), while doing damage at the same time.

I can tell you what monster teaches pretty much every spell I just mentioned (Even the lightning spell I don't know :V) except for Raise Dead. Later in the game there's more spells worth grabbing, like Dark Flare and such I suppose, but *Shrug* Haven't gotten there yet! Waiting for the Tenshi crash to get fixed atm.

I like grabbing lots of Satori spells, but you can streamline it to only a select few if you don't want to bother getting stuff that's only minorly additionally helpful. I think my Satori has 8 pages of spells now.

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
I'm not even sure what monsters I should be looking for and what level my Satori needs to be to learn these skills in the first place.  Sure, the english wiki has all of 5 enemies that you can learn skills from, but I'm sure there are more than 5 enemies you can learn skills from  :V

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »
Yeah the wiki says every stage is simple and straight forward, EVEN FOR THIS GAME (it emphasizes that like every time) when this game has like.. the least straight forward dungeons I've seen that aren't intended to be labyrinth-type games.

I wrote most of the walkthrough, so I guess I'll say something. To me, the dungeons in this game really are all straight forward (with very few exceptions, like stage 14 and... stage 14). It's probably personal experience, though, since I've played several RPGs (notably, Chinese Paladin series) where most dungeons are so complex that I have to employ left hand rule for most of them (which means that I'd be missing out on some stuff). Also, since enemies stay gone after you kill them, there's no pressure about backtracking, unlike in pretty much every other game where making a wrong turn means you have to fight through more encounters (and they tend to be increasingly boring to fight through).

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
I'm not even sure what monsters I should be looking for and what level my Satori needs to be to learn these skills in the first place.  Sure, the english wiki has all of 5 enemies that you can learn skills from, but I'm sure there are more than 5 enemies you can learn skills from  :V
http://www.mediafire.com/file/81e99dqggsb3xb6/Satori%20Blue%20Magic.xls

Here are all the pre-expansion skills Satori can learn.
I always have Satori in my party, just in case she learns a skill, guess I'm paranoid.
Took me forever to learn petro breath, but I got fire and lighting breath without even trying. Figures.
Leaf shield was surprisingly easy to get, too.
 Stage 14 is just such a pain with these strong monsters though. 

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
Haa, I always have Satori in my party too. On the upside, she's pretty versatile, overlevelling helps counter her lower HP and any MP problems, and it helps her learn nifty skills sooner.

Stage 14 sure is a bit of a thing, I've gotta say. I'm using a pretty suboptimal team for it too, because I needed to throw lower leveled peeps into the party before they started lagging behind in level. Then again, an optimal random-clearing party for me would be Alice/Satori/Patchouli/Nitori with the 5th depending on the situation... so I suppose I'm generally using a suboptimal one!

Elite Mindflayers suck. They resist ALLLL elements except for Electric, Slash, and Smash, it takes a decent amount of time to kill them... x_X They're weak to Pierce, I believe, but for some reason I didn't think of actually equipping a spear (which I should have).

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »

Here are all the pre-expansion skills Satori can learn.

Awesome, thanks!  Yeah, I'm still in stage 7 trying to level all my characters to like 23-25.  It's very tedious and it's a shame I'm not running into any Yukkuris.  I really should just try and get to the teleporter, but again, the stage confuses me :X