Author Topic: Old series that are cool to watch even now?  (Read 23220 times)

matrilwood

• Touhou's representative of the Kawai Imperium
  • Extra Extra Boss - Rarity Scarlet
Re: Old series that are cool to watch even now?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »
The first season of Digimon. (I never got around to watching 2 and 3)

Even today I still enjoyed watching it. Shame the music killed it though. Seriously, if you listen to the Japanese songs and the English songs, the English songs are tarable, even for late '90s.
I AM NOT A WEEBOO!!!
I'm actually Japanese.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
Already been mentioned, but I loved Darkwing Duck, Beast Wars, and the first and second seasons of Digimon.

Monty Python is cool too. :3

ReBoot was an awesome show too~.  Men and my Dad absolutely love that show.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
ReBoot
Kasu, you are now a bro.

Seriously one of my first memories is watching that episode with the D&D ripoff. My family can practically recite that episode a capella, but I only saw a few fragments of the first three seasons because the viewing schedule was miserable. It's only been in the last few years I got a chance to actually watch the whole series as it was meant to be, and it's still easily one of my favourite shows ever.

Spoiler:
That said, season 4 never happened.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »
I am kind of sad that people would mention Darkwing Duck and nothing else from Disney Afternoon. (At least nothing at least as old as Goof Troop, since I do remember DA going kinda downhill after that.) Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers will forever remain one of my favorite cartoons that I watched at a time where I didn't get the reference.

Also, The Super Globetrotters was hilarious if only for the premise.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »
...I don't really want to admit that it's old.  I practically grew up with it, so admitting that it's old would be like admitting that I am old.  And I'm not old, damn it!  I'm... I'm not old... >.<

Buffy the Vampire Slayer!  I remember... Every week, the family would gather around the TV and watch it.  And... Maybe it's just nostalgia speaking, maybe it's because I've always been a fan of unconventional superhero stories, maybe it's because it was one of the few pieces of solace I had whilst growing up, but... Every time I hear that theme, the moment the organ plays and the wolf howls, I feel a chill up my back.  I'll admit that the first season was incredibly goofy, especially when compared to everything after it, and some of the later episodes were a bit... Questionable (although I did as a whole enjoy the much-maligned season six, even if I do agree that the whole "magic addiction" thing was stupid), but on the whole it had strong storylines all the way through, great action, fun characters, and that tinge of the subversive that I just love to see in anything.  Even to this day, it's my favourite show ever, although again nostalgia may have a big part to play in this as it was a pretty big part of my life whilst I was growing up.

(It's also the reason why I can never take vampires seriously as the all-powerful badass lords of the night, but take from that what you will.)

Oh right, and the spin-off Angel was pretty cool too.  At points it was even better than Buffy, it's darker tone offset by some of the weirdest stuff I'd ever seen on television up to that point (the giant talking hamburger oracle sticks out pretty strongly in that respect).  Man, I just... I just love these shows so very, very much.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Ranma 1/2

I still get a kick out of watching it.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »
...I don't really want to admit that it's old.  I practically grew up with it, so admitting that it's old would be like admitting that I am old.  And I'm not old, damn it!  I'm... I'm not old... >.<

Buffy the Vampire Slayer!
It's a show from the 90s and you're younger than me.  You're not old.  Stop it.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed in this thread.  All this talk about cartoons and all of you are forgetting your roots, meaning the old Looney Tunes and associated cartoons from the 40s/50s that defined my childhood (growing up on Cartoon Network as well) and still hold up outside of nostalgia.

Also also, since 10 years counts as old now: Mission Hill was pretty amazing for the limited run it got, what a travesty it got cancelled.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
Also, I'm pretty disappointed in this thread.  All this talk about cartoons and all of you are forgetting your roots, meaning the old Looney Tunes and associated cartoons from the 40s/50s that defined my childhood (growing up on Cartoon Network as well) and still hold up outside of nostalgia.
Ffff-!
Also adding Animaniacs, Pinky & Brain, and Freakazoid.

God how could I forget those.

Also Disney's Gargoyles.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
The PJs.

This cancellation of this show was when I gave up TV forever.

The Unlimited RR

• Last Showdown RR&D
    • Photobuckitz
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
-Fist of the North Star SOOOO freaking hard.  It's definitely a great series to watrch whether in the 80's or in this age, and the OVA's that came out the last couple of years have peen pretty great too!
-I sometimes have a habit of watching those old 60's Spider-Man cartoon.  Mostly for narm charm, but it still has some inventive plots here and there.  Just don't watch it for anything good.
-BATMAN Fuckya!
-GARGOYLES Fuckya!
-I've also started watching a bit of CAPTAIN HARLOCK.  It's really a great series to watch.

Moerin

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »
Alright, you want something old?  How about the longest running sci-fi series ever!?  Something that's been running so long that the original episodes are in black and white, and yet still after 48 years and (to this date) seven hundred and seventy-seven episodes it's still full of fresh ideas and still retains the ability to strike awe in those who watch it.

I am, of course, talking about the one, the only, Doctor Who.  I know it's seen as a nerd series elsewhere, but over here it's very mainstream, and ever since it started has been a quintessential cornerstone of British popular culture.  Sure, there's some not so great bits in there, but come on, they can't all be winners, especially when you have so many episodes, but for every bad episode there's about a dozen great ones.  The special effects in the old series can be pretty cheesy at times, but that's really part of the charm.  Added to this is one of the greatest rogues gallery ever seen, including such classic villains as the Daleks, the Cybermen, and of course everyone's favourite renegade Time Lord and magnificent bastard par excellence, The Master.

Oh, and there's also that goofy time travelling alien guy, I guess.  He's always good for some laughs. >.>  Seriously though, the Doctor is one of the greatest characters of British fiction, a classic trickster archetype who prefers to outwit his opponents rather than overpower them, aided by neat gadgets including one of the most iconic time machines ever and his signature sonic screwdriver, and topped with a stroke of genius plot point that allows him to keep coming back no matter how long the show lasts.

Seriously, a show doesn't get to last that long and be brought back for another round due to immense public demand without doing at least something right.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »
Despite every effort of RTD.

Sad thing about Doctor Who, though, is that some of the episodes simply no longer exist, due to the originals being lost or destroyed. Luckily, I don't think any of the lost episodes were really important ones.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
Luckily, I don't think any of the lost episodes were really important ones.
...uh, last part of The Tenth Planet? The episode that featured William Hartnell's regeneration?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
If you want something that's old and good, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. We watched it every week, all of us. We dropped out around Voyager, coming back for the last few episodes and Enterprise, but TNG and DS9 were what I grew up with. I would always hum the intro themes to each, I enjoyed the series so much.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
Yes, Batman!  Yes, Darkwing Duck!  Yes, Digimon!  Yes, Gargoyles!  Yes, G Gundam!  This is like one huge nostalgia rush.  Batman and G Gundam popped in my head from reading the title alone.  Also Rugrats.  They snuck some jokes in that kids would not get.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:49 PM »
...uh, last part of The Tenth Planet? The episode that featured William Hartnell's regeneration?

Well fuck me.

Also:   Callin' DS9 and TNG old? Fuckin' kids...

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2011, 12:30:30 AM »
Despite every effort of RTD.

Sad thing about Doctor Who, though, is that some of the episodes simply no longer exist, due to the originals being lost or destroyed. Luckily, I don't think any of the lost episodes were really important ones.
Apparently all of them have audio recordings preserved though, so there's that at least.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 12:34:37 AM »

Does Looney Tunes count? I mean, it's an institution. They set the standards for what animated comedy is. Chuck Jones and Michael Maltese have long ago ascended to godhood, bestowing good tidings and blessings upon the world's cartoons.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »
Everything in old Cartoon Network. MAN do I miss the Power Puff Girls.

Reboot. I freaking loved that show.

And Super Pig. It was the only reason I woke up early on Saturday mornings. Just to watch that show with my sisters.
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »
Utawarerumono. It is beyond epic, amazing and f-ing hilarious. XD

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 01:52:39 AM »
Digimon in general, especially Tamers, oh god Tamers  :ohdear:

As much as I love digimon though, Savers (Season 5) and Xros Wars (Season 6) never happened to me, Savers is a-ok, just not in the same level as the rest, Xros Wars is silly, at best, at the very best, the series did go kind of downhill after tamers, though Frontier (Season 4) was still bearable.

I still didn't get around to re-watching seasons 1, 2 and 3, though I did see the movie and a few of the OVAs, actually, I have the movie. My childhood is saved in that VHS.

Aside from that, the early seasons of Pok?mon, Shaman King, Dragonball in general (Especially GT, oh god that intro song still makes me cry) and... that's it.

Spoiler:
Also if someone here besides me doesn't mention the digivolution theme for Digimon Season 1, "Brave Heart" I will kill all of you.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 04:42:30 AM »
Does Looney Tunes count? I mean, it's an institution. They set the standards for what animated comedy is. Chuck Jones and Michael Maltese have long ago ascended to godhood, bestowing good tidings and blessings upon the world's cartoons.
It may be an institute, but I think it stands because it was very conventional, consistent and relatively short-lived.  They didn't often experiment with things too different.

Utawarerumono. It is beyond epic, amazing and f-ing hilarious. XD
This is only 5 years ago, it's just like saying Higurashi or Haruhi is old.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 04:59:05 AM »
M*A*S*H was also a good series, although it changed form with time. It took place during the Korean War, and started as this screwball comedy, but then started to have more introspective arcs about how war affects the occupiers and the occupied. The final episode was one of the most watched episodes in television history, too, and was viewed by almost half the population of the US at the time.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 05:22:58 AM »
This is only 5 years ago, it's just like saying Higurashi or Haruhi is old.

Ah. Its been mostly abandoned, if not all of it, so i guess i jumped the gun there. sorry.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »
Ah. Its been mostly abandoned, if not all of it, so i guess i jumped the gun there. sorry.
's cool man, I'm mostly just amazed at the different perceptions the internet has of what's considered old.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 05:54:40 AM »
's cool man, I'm mostly just amazed at the different perceptions the internet has of what's considered old.
Culture evolves fast on the internet. Sadly, not in all the best ways... but eh. Need for speed now a day's. *See's this more in video games*
I personally believe something is old when its been mostly abandoned or been around a generation personally.
Another one which im pretty sure is "Old" nowaday's is FLCL? (Fooly cooly?)

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 03:28:54 AM »
Also, given my avatar, I think I oughta recommend Twin Peaks as well. It is a surrealist/supernatural soap opera cleverly disguised as a murder mystery.

Oh my god I'm going through Twin Peaks with a friend right now and it is so. much. fun. Watch this.

Also POWER RANGERS just got dumped on Netflix, go watch that for massive cheesy 90s entertainment value. I'm halfway through In Space!  :]

Moerin

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Also POWER RANGERS just got dumped on Netflix, go watch that for massive cheesy 90s entertainment value. I'm halfway through In Space!  :]
Oh wow, I've been meaning to rewatch that for a looooooooong ti-

Netflix
>.<  Ugh, just as bad as Hulu...

Um... Anyways, on a lighter note...

So, at the urging of someone who thought it might help inspire me with a project I've been working on recently, I started watching a mid-nineties MTV cartoon called The Maxx.  I was a little reluctant to do so at first, seeing how it's based on an early 90s Image comic and all (although apparently it was one of the better things to come out of early Image), but I thought hey, it's only 13 ten minute episodes, so it's not like it'd be wasting too much time.

After watching through over half of it's run, I'm already pretty glad I decided to give it a try.  It's a pretty dark show, but it has this whole weird metaphysics to it that really draws me in as it constantly switches from the dark, gritty real world to a strange dreamworld that looks like some kind of warped version of the Australian outback populated by bizarre creatures.  I'm kinda glad I didn't catch this during it's initial run, as I know I wouldn't have understood the first thing about what was going on and would probably have hated it, as it touches on quite a few themes that would be difficult for a child to follow.  One thing I really love about it, though, is the animation and artwork.  It's like a comic book that's came to life, and the way it all flows looks incredibly impressive even by today's standards.  If you're ever in the mood for some mid-ninties weirdness, you could do far worse than checking out The Maxx.

...Hey, the title only said old shows, not ones that you personally have nostalgia for. >.>

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »
Magic School Bus. That show taught me some things that I didn't end up learning until high school, even if just the basics. Not only that, but as a grown up the awkward and contrived plots (a mechanic allegedly going to win an award is trying to tow away the bus, which is stalled because of a peanut butter sandwich he ate while taking a look at the hood) have an entirely different kind of fun than when I was a kid.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 05:08:32 AM »
If you have never watched Gatekeepers (NOT Gatekeepers 21) do watch it.

Spoiler:
(because 21 is basically a bad ending)

It is one of those old animu that I really liked, it is old not just in that case that it was set in 1960s, but it is basically the yell out your heart and pump your fists kinda awesome old.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?