Author Topic: Where does one actually buy the games?  (Read 3232 times)

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
Where does one actually buy the games?
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:37:15 AM »
Hello, all. So, I've recently found out about the Touhou series, and as much as I would like to play them, I can't find a place that sells them in the U.S.  From what I understand, ZUN doesn't even distribute the games in the West, so how exactly are we supposed to play them?

Thanks!

Re: Where does one actually buy the games?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:06:24 AM »
Buy online.  Check out this thread here:

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,566.0.html

I haven't worked with him myself, but from what I've seen that's probably the best deal you'll get (cost of his purchase+shipping).

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:15:16 AM »
Yeah, we're lucky enough to have Forza here who'll get you a copy of the game and ship it if you pay. Other than that, you can try sites like eBay, but the prices are usually higher than the original.

I'm kind of surprised PlayAsia doesn't have them, to be honest :/

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:19:36 AM »
Probably because they're doujin, even if they are popular titles... Speaking of that, I remember this one site that sold doujins relatively cheaply.  Maybe not as cheap as Forza, but they had the Touhous (or at least some of them, I forget if they had the set) Crimzon Clover, Samidere, Suwapyon, and a few others.  I can't seem to find it again though...

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't able to find anything on Ebay, unfortunately. All that ever turned up was cosplay sets.

Well, I would look to this Forza person, but as I am not *quite* at the age where I can buy thing independently on the internet, there would be a lot of questioning from my judgmental father. I may have to resort to it, but on the whole, I would like to be able to find an actual website that sells them.

Edit: Well, I was able to find some of them on JBOX, but not all, so at least there is that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:42:13 AM by Squawkers23 »

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 02:55:30 AM »
[22:43]   <Pdee>   whitecanvas/paleteweb/jlist(lol)
[22:43]   <Pdee>   paleteweb probably easiest but doesn't always have stock
[22:48]   <Pdee>   forgot melonbooks as well

Try those maybe.  Some of them may have adult items too, so fair warning.  I'll see if I can find that other site.

EDIT: Here it is http://www.sk8tokyo.com/shmup/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:09:29 AM by Random Stage 1 Fairy »

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »
Ah, thanks. In that case, I'll probably just go with paleteweb. To be honest, I don't really mind having to wait a bit for them to get the games back in stock, especially since you can do that request/reserve thing.

Thank you!

Drake

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:12:47 AM »
You can find them on Paletweb, JBox and Toylet, for three, but pretty much everyone overprices the games. Literally the best deal you're going to get is through Forza.

Also know that all of these websites take months to restock. You won't be getting it anytime soon.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 03:19:47 AM »
Well, considering the fact that A. Summer is my poor season so I'd be lucky to buy one any time soon anyway and B. I tend to lose interest in games if I get too many at the same time, those websites can take as long as the like to re-stock.

Thank you for the heads-up, though.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Buying_Stuff

Touhou Wiki has a list for them actually. It's usually regularly updated. Plus, it's easier to get to them this way since you've got the links and stuff.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 04:23:31 AM »
Ooh, that's really helpful. Thanks! *Bookmarked*

I should have guessed the Touhou wiki would have something like that, though. Man, that place is... expansive.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
probably Comiket and Reitaisai... :O

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
Well, considering the fact that Reitaisai is in Ikebukuro and Comiket is in Tokyo, while I myself live in the U.S. and can't exactly afford a plane ticket to Japan, I don't think that would work out very well for me. Thanks for trying to help, though. Unless you were being sarcastic, which it sounds like you may have been. I'm not very good at detecting sarcasm on the internet.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
Well, considering the fact that Reitaisai is in Ikebukuro and Comiket is in Tokyo, while I myself live in the U.S. and can't exactly afford a plane ticket to Japan, I don't think that would work out very well for me. Thanks for trying to help, though. Unless you were being sarcastic, which it sounds like you may have been. I'm not very good at detecting sarcasm on the internet.

As you have probably read earlier in this thread, you can either get in touch with N-Forza over in S.A.V..I.O.R., or go look up the Buying Stuff section of Touhouwiki.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm just going to use the links on the Touhou Wiki.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:24 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm just going to use the links on the Touhou Wiki.
What they're saying is that when Comiket and Reitaisai are happening, N-Forza can go down and get what you want during the event, if he can. Often, you can get the items cheaper through N-Forza, and purchasing directly from Japan will give ZUN some profit, whereas the websites don't, if I recall.

Also, you can just ask him what the prices are and then compare with the websites if you want to try to get the cheapest. :P
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:46 PM »
Like I said, I wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing through an individual person. Not that I don't trust this N-Forza person, but again, judgmental and over-worried family + buying from an individual person = not a very good idea.

And about supporting ZUN directly, I do intend to liberate myself from the states and at the very least visit Japan, so I can always buy directly at the actual events. However, that won't happen for a few years.

Edit: Actually, how does purchasing through a website not support ZUN? Wouldn't the websites buy the games from ZUN, then re-sell them to the West? Not to say that you are wrong, I'm just a tad bit confused here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:01:19 AM by Squawkers23 »

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
ooooh, right. 8C no I wasnt being sarcastic though XDDDDDDDDDDD;