Author Topic: Just got UFO.  (Read 1620 times)

CirnoFan

• I never thought I'd get this chance :O!
Just got UFO.
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
I got Undefined Fantastic Object in Japanese today, and it's insanely addictive. Unfortunately, I'm a n00b at Danmakufu shooters, since the first time I've played one was around June 2010. It's Perfect Cherry Blossom, and I've only played it about 30 times in my life.

Here's where I'm stuck on.

Sometimes, the Stage 2 and 3 bosses are really hard. I've beaten the Stage 2 boss several times, and the Stage 3 boss once. So there are 2 things.

1. Help me get pass Stage 2 and 3 without losing any lives.
2. Maybe an English patch would help. I'm lost if I can't read things.
Previous Usernames: CirnoFan754, CirnoFan, The Scale of Rivalry, The Square of Rivalries, Wikipe-Tan, Car Inferno
Posts: 83/150 What will happen is my YouTube and deviantART account will appear when the # of posts reaches 150.

No, I didn't make it.

Re: Just got UFO.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
1. What difficulty do you play on? The idea is to collect as many red UFO tokens as possible to summon giant red UFOs, fill them with point or power items until they drop a star life piece, then kill them for another star life piece. You need four life pieces to gain a life, so spawn as many as possible! If you're already collecting as many reds as possible, why not provide a replay so we can see what you're doing, and hopefully offer some more advice.

2. English patch is here. Requires you to patch your game to 1.00b, available here.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
1. What difficulty do you play on? The idea is to collect as many red UFO tokens as possible to summon giant red UFOs, fill them with point or power items until they drop a star life piece, then kill them for another star life piece. You need four life pieces to gain a life, so spawn as many as possible! If you're already collecting as many reds as possible, why not provide a replay so we can see what you're doing, and hopefully offer some more advice.
Don't forget that summoning and destroying UFOs will clear the screen of bullets.  It's not always the greatest idea to wait for a red UFO when you can just grab a rainbow one.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
Use and abuse stage practice, especially if you're okay with stage 1. Practice the stages until you have at least a roughly planned route through the stages, including UFOs if you need to. Also, there are some basic, general tips, like try to bomb rather than deathbomb, bomb through things you aren't confident about, occasionally look at things other than your hitbox, and stream all the damn time. It's a little difficult to give proper advice without specifics, though. :V
Let's fight.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
I second the idea of using Stage Practice a lot. Learning which UFOs appear where is its own thing and should be accounted for, but above all, you must be familiar with the danmaku in every level. Even if you decide to use a bomb or summon a UFO for a particular pattern every time you see it, it helps to know what to expect in case you get caught with neither, and you will usually survive longer as a result. The most obvious example of this is with bosses - because no UFOs appear during bosses, being good at dodging their attacks is one of the best ways to minimize resource loss. This concept also ties in somewhat with judging when it's safe to use the UFO system in the first place. If a UFO you want to grab is buried, or about to be buried, behind bullets, either use a bomb or don't go after it in the first place - approach the current pattern in as safe a manner as possible (i.e. streaming, like Sapz said) until the coast is clear. If you wait for such "lulls" in the attacks, you will have a much easier time collecting UFOs.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.