Author Topic: Phantasmagoria of Flower View Discussion thread  (Read 24645 times)

Darklightz

Re: Phantasmagoria of Flower View Discussion thead
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 03:17:57 AM »
Oooh, now I get it... Damn I'm slow ><

I still have a hell of a time beating anyone in match-up on normal...

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
Alright, so I started playing Touhou games a while back and got addicted. I still can't figure out half of what's going on in PoFV though. My opponent always charges level level 4 first no matter how fast I rush to fill my spell meter first and then it gets crazy with the opponent being able to summon her level 4 2 and sometimes 3 times in a row before I can recharge my own meter. Is there something I missed? And yes, I'm a noob

Also, I agree with OP, this game is insanely hard. I put 2 computers against each other and just watched them both dodge everything for 5 minutes without getting hit. How is a human supposed to beat that?

The AI is simply on drunken god mode...

it'll take at least 5 minute perhaps ten for the AI to revert to simply drunk mode.

Read my introduction post to this topic...you'll understand.

Snaka

• Do I post too fast
  • Or does everyone else post too slow
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »
You can easily see the AI on this game are broken.
Have a familiar vs familiar lunatic match with both characters Shikieki to see what I mean =/

The five magic rolling stones

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
You can easily see the AI on this game are broken.
Have a familiar vs familiar lunatic match with both characters Shikieki to see what I mean =/
Trust me, Reisen vs Reisen's a LOT more entertaining.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
Lunatic Shikieiki Yamaxanadu

The entire damn fight. There has to be some way to make this easier other than bring a lot of lives which won't happen cause I'm forced to die at least once to every stage starting with stage 6.

I haven't been able to get back to her since I've started playing again, but I want to 1cc this thing without Aya or Medicine, but I don't know how to fight her.

And how the hell do you score? I try to spam level 2 attacks but I usually die before the 50,000,000 extend. If I make it there, I'm nowhere near the other 2.

ebarrett

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 12:13:24 AM »
Lunatic Shikieiki Yamaxanadu

The entire damn fight. There has to be some way to make this easier other than bring a lot of lives which won't happen cause I'm forced to die at least once to every stage starting with stage 6.

As I said in the other thread, unless you pull an early miracle, you WILL die once at every stage from 6 onwards. Just try to do your best on every first round so you score as much as possible. More on that later.

I haven't been able to get back to her since I've started playing again, but I want to 1cc this thing without Aya or Medicine, but I don't know how to fight her.

Notice that all of Shikieiki's boss summon attacks move in a straight line directly away from her. Now that you know this, don't get hit by these ever again, leave that to the random hotdog clusterfucks. These are dodged by moving a lot between sides while there isn't a boss summon on your screen (because most of the bullets are generated somewhat aimed at your general direction, so you "soft-misdirect" a lot of stuff by doing this), and by praying and spazzing while there IS a boss summon attacking you and you try to stand more or less in the same place so you don't ram a fast-moving wall of bullets.

In short: no boss = macrododge, boss = micrododge. Average Shikieiki survival time after the lolhax first round: three minutes. Ignore the bleeps. Oh, and shoot down boss summons for the occasional yellow 'G' drop!

And how the hell do you score? I try to spam level 2 attacks but I usually die before the 50,000,000 extend. If I make it there, I'm nowhere near the other 2.

Only use lvl2s when you're not sure how to dodge an incoming barrage, or when your gauge is at 3 or above and you're PRETTY MUCH SURE you won't need it soon (this way, if you get randomly hit, you still get the full benefit of the "compensation system"). Scoring is done by agressively shooting down fairies and activated spirits to form chains of mass destruction until things start blowing up first in yellow text, then in "BONUS!" pop-ups which means you're scoring bazillions of points. Some people swear by bombing to keep a chain going if you're at "BONUS!" level; I wouldn't go that far seeing as points come naturally if you just hunt down every fairy like a maniac. (one of the reasons why I prefer fast characters - I can just shoot down stuff without thinking too much, or having to keep an eye on my combo counter)

tl;dr; Shikieiki is a three-minute survival clusterfuck no matter how much people want it to be something else.

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
What's the full tier list vs. the AI anyway?

Made it to stage 8 Reimu my first try of Lunatic with Komachi but lost. How did I die 3 times to Yuka though? Almost won stage 6 first try as well but lost that too.

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »

Made it to stage 8 Reimu my first try of Lunatic with Komachi but lost. How did I die 3 times to Yuka though? Almost won stage 6 first try as well but lost that too.
There isn't one.

Basically, characters with high-speed bullets and characters that slow the opponent down are the best (Aya/Medicine),  characters with attacks that target the opponent before they have an active hitbox (Marisa, Youmu, Shiki), and characters with attacks that wall (Reimu, Yuka) are your best bets.

Note that characters listed in parantheses are just examples and not the only ones that fall under each category.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »

There is a comprehensive PoFV character analysis that somebody wrote a long time ago.
You can find it here.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 01:34:25 AM »
Here's a thing:

Controls. Shift to Charge, or Shift to Focus? And why?

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 03:21:02 AM »
Here's a thing:

Controls. Shift to Charge, or Shift to Focus? And why?
It's really up to preference.  I personally use shift to charge.  However, if you like to play defensively (not firing to drain the screen of bullets), I'd go with shift to focus so you don't have to dodge everything unfocused.

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
Oh and PoFV's AI is horribly broken. Try not to worry much. Story mode works a bit differently - it gets easier as you lose lives. I think only first-round lunatic Shikieiki plays with full AI capabilities (or first-round lunatic Reimu for Shiki's story mode).

Im pretty sure that the AI is in godmode at times. Even without watching a touhou lunatic replay in slow motion i can tell that the AI should be getting hit, but doesnt.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Phantasmagoria of Flower View Discussion thread
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »
"thead".

Also Shikieiki and Aya rock my socks <3

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Im pretty sure that the AI is in godmode at times. Even without watching a touhou lunatic replay in slow motion i can tell that the AI should be getting hit, but doesnt.
Here's a thing. Play against Aya in Lunatic match mode without using Aya or Medi, and play as aggressively as you can (ideally get into Bonus mode). Then save and watch the replay, paying attention to Aya's movements. The dodges she makes are complete and utter bullshit interesting, to say the least. :V Fun to fight against, though, so oh well~
Let's fight.

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 11:06:49 PM »
Here's a thing. Play against Aya in Lunatic match mode without using Aya or Medi, and play as aggressively as you can (ideally get into Bonus mode). Then save and watch the replay, paying attention to Aya's movements. The dodges she makes are complete and utter bullshit interesting, to say the least. :V Fun to fight against, though, so oh well~
That's kind of true for any character.  Fight the lunatic AI with Lunasa for extra lulz. :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »
That's kind of true for any character.  Fight the lunatic AI with Lunasa for extra lulz. :V
Almost all of the characters have AI dodgehax to a degree, but Aya absolutely takes the cake due to her insane unfocused speed; coupled with the mechanical precision of the AI it results in a load of really ridiculous stuff.
Let's fight.

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »
Almost all of the characters have AI dodgehax to a degree, but Aya absolutely takes the cake due to her insane unfocused speed; coupled with the mechanical precision of the AI it results in a load of really ridiculous stuff.
So fight her with Lunasa. :V

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
Is Lunasa bugged? After charging her attack once (no matter how high) im unable to charge until the next round...

There is no simple bullet hell dodging algorithm, i know from my own experience. Random bullet dodging isnt that difficult, but attacks that require pattern recognition make the AI fail hard.

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 12:26:34 AM »
Is Lunasa bugged? After charging her attack once (no matter how high) im unable to charge until the next round...

There is no simple bullet hell dodging algorithm, i know from my own experience. Random bullet dodging isnt that difficult, but attacks that require pattern recognition make the AI fail hard.
That's a glitch with one of the earlier English patches.  Play without the patch, or update to the newest one, and that'll fix itself.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
Re: Phantasmagoria of Flower View Discussion thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »
lol lunasa I pretty much see her as merlin but with much weaker sideshots and a weak forward shot, so not worth using in any regard  :V. I quite like merlin mind even if her attack is just downright weird it can be handy as the strength is okay. Youmu is definately superior mind.

I dunno about saying Medicine is bullshit though tbh. Played a few online matches against her and yes the clouds are annoying, but they aren't impossible. Aya definately sits in that teir with her homed and fast pop fairything attack though, it doesn't seem fair playing people with her as its too easy to trap someone. Same with komachi lol, Her friggin non spell fairythingy pop attack is just ludicrous considering the sheer bullet spam it causes. Take for example sakuya, like what, 5 or so knives in one line? Komachi - LOOOOOOTS OF COOOOOINS EVEERRRYWHEEEERE!!!