Author Topic: Blazblue: Alter Memory  (Read 5357 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Blazblue: Alter Memory
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »
So I guess this is out.

It was okay. The action so far is surprisingly flat. The anime doesn't even make an effort to match or exceed the game in this regard. All of the fights are quick and dull. Other than that the animation seemed fine, certainly better than I thought it looked in the trailer.

Outing Hazama as the villain instantly seems like an odd choice. Maybe I'm misremembering since I haven't played Calamity Trigger in a while, but wasn't that a big reveal?

Do we know if the English voice cast is signed on for the dub? I actually like all the English version of Blazblue quite a lot, so that could be well worth watching.

As far as I could tell the story is put together in a way that makes sense if you don't already know it, which is actually pretty impressive given the source material. There seems to be a basic impression of who the major characters are and how they relate to each-other and what their goals are. Being an incoherent mess would be easy for an adaptation of Blazblue, and I don't think this was.

Anybody else got thoughts? I'd be particularly interested to hear from people who haven't played and aren't familiar with the games, if any are watching.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Re: Blazblue: Alter Memory
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:13:33 AM »
The animation was surprisingly decent for a non-big-name studio. The only major gripe I had with the first episode was the QUALITY Hakumen. His whole body looked derpy most of the time, and they totally fuck up his sword. But other than that, the rest were fine. One thing that I think would please a lot of fans during the fights scenes is to use some of the iconic moves from the game.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:20:48 AM »
The animation was surprisingly decent for a non-big-name studio. The only major gripe I had with the first episode was the QUALITY Hakumen. His whole body looked derpy most of the time, and they totally fuck up his sword. But other than that, the rest were fine. One thing that I think would please a lot of fans during the fights scenes is to use some of the iconic moves from the game.

I assume it was just the sub I watched, but his Hakumen speech was all wrong. He didn't say any of his various catchphrases.

I barely noticed that there was anything weird about him visually, but I'm pretty sure his sword phased through the scabbard when he drew it which is kind of a neat detail.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »
this show has been pretty far for the course in terms of blazblue story and pacing: random scenes strewn together that dont really make any sense or have any impact on the story until omg big event A happens and then back to more useless mulling about

also everyone but ragna is either an asshole or an idiot

okay tager is cool too

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »
It's actually quite good overall, at least much better than what I initially expected.
Fluid fighting animations are mandatory, yeah, but it's an anime and an anime has budget they better not breach unless they are ready to sacrifice the animation quality of remaining episodes. I'm not going to complain much as long as the story is delivered properly, animation is decent/tolerable, and the characters are executed like they are supposed to be.

Looking at the order of events in the first episode, I gotta say it reminds me a lot of Chimelical Complex mango.
Outing Hazama as the villain instantly seems like an odd choice. Maybe I'm misremembering since I haven't played Calamity Trigger in a while, but wasn't that a big reveal?
Even the promotional poster from months ago implies that. It's like the production team is under the impression that every watcher is a BB player, or at least believes that it's okay to do some revelations left and right.
I barely noticed that there was anything weird about him visually, but I'm pretty sure his sword phased through the scabbard when he drew it which is kind of a neat detail.
From the way I see it, his Ōkami looks rather... off. Here is the in-game Ōkami.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »
Jin forming the ice made me sit down and laugh for a very long time. I didn't watch the rest of the episode.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:45:13 AM »
I assume it was just the sub I watched, but his Hakumen speech was all wrong. He didn't say any of his various catchphrases.

I just double-checked right now to be sure. His speech in the anime is exactly the same as the ones in the game. So yea, it was just the subs.

Hyper Dunk

• I'm a Double Dragon.
  • I will fight everyone.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 06:02:05 AM »
I'm just hoping for Hype Dog to make some kind of appearance.  :V

Jin forming the ice made me sit down and laugh for a very long time. I didn't watch the rest of the episode.

http://i.imgur.com/qQmDYYL.gif

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
I just double-checked right now to be sure. His speech in the anime is exactly the same as the ones in the game. So yea, it was just the subs.
The English game made his speech longer and more flowery (which is not a bad thing). The subs translated it literally.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:41:58 PM by Prime32 »

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »
I guess what people said are true. Video games being adapted to anime is not a good idea.
I mean, they're decent, but they don't match the games quality. Then again those are for people who actually PLAYED the game.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I guess what people said are true. Video games being adapted to anime is not a good idea.
I mean, they're decent, but they don't match the games quality. Then again those are for people who actually PLAYED the game.

For some series it's kinda doomed either way. I can't imagine Neptunia made sense to anyone who hadn't played the games, and I can't imagine anyone who wasn't miffed at the OOCness of it if they had played the games.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
The second episode was just out and it took an unexpected turn, not in positive may in my opinion though.
Spoiler:
I didn't expect the story of Calamity Trigger (about) to reach the conclusion  that soon, only within 2 episodes and that.
Oh yeah, the OP is still the same as in ep1; as in, reusing some scenes from said episode.  Not nice.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:57:20 PM by Ibaraki »