Author Topic: Touhou Games Done Quick? (formerly SGDQ2013 topic)  (Read 29260 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Re: Touhou Games Done Quick? (formerly SGDQ2013 topic)
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
Hmm. Maybe the Katsugeki Kidan games could be speedrun too?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
Are those the Momizi platformers? They would be good.

2hu soccer I can't judge since I've never played or watched anyone else play, but if it's really that degree of praying to the RNGods then I suspect it would be put with the RPGs.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

Re: Summer Games Done Quick 2013 (Bonus Stream Mode)
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
Going fast through it I've never found very interesting. I much prefer killing all the enemies on the main path, not using any subs, no damage, etc. It makes for a much more interesting run.
very confirmed

Besides maybe stage 1, speedrunning this game is essentially damage boosting across the stage and ignoring 90% of the enemies. After stage 1 it gets really really dull. I would like to be able to do something like no damage since it's fun as hell, but it's way too difficult to do reliably and isn't suited for the whole speed part of speedrunning. It would be nice if there could be a good balance between them. Anyone have any suggestions?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:45 AM »
Guess I'll bring this up: If this were to be an actual thing, would it be a meetup like the regular GDQs, or an online thing where everyone streams from home? I mean, for me, while being an online thing would greatly improve my chances being able to attend... my internet isn't that great when it comes to streaming (rock'n that half-MB upload speed).

Anyways, on some games I could possibly run:

-Gensokyo No Nazo (Platformer)
My PB is a 17:41 Any% run on Easy difficulty. I fight a total of 5 characters throughout the run (one of them twice). First bit of the run is a bit "meh" because I have to travel through the same general area 3 times in a row to set up Daiyousei's extra jump height. However, past that, things get a bit dangerous, as I pretty much have to hell-run my way through to the end without a decent checkpoint. I can get a checkpoint after Flandre, but that still leaves 20-odd stages and 3 boss fights. That said, I've actually been decent enough to consistantly pull off the run without the checkpoint. I'd probably hit the checkpoint for a marathon though; a few of those runs ended on having only 1 character left and no extra lives.

I'm thinking of looking into an "All Characters" route at some point, as that'd be something, given how many friggen secret paths there are. However, the main issue would be the very final character, who, when you fight her, is set to Lunatic difficulty no matter what difficulty you've selected. Really, I've only ever beaten her casually by stockpiling 20-odd lives and throwing them against her.

-Genshi Ankokuden (SRPG)
I absolutely love this game. While I haven't done any routing for it yet, I don't think it'd be too hard unless I put conditions on the run. The AI is really consistant, so doing the same thing each time will generally result in pretty much the exact same thing (barring crits). The thing with routing would be figuring out what items I'd get over the course of the run, as those dictate the abilities your characters can learn. There's also the Difficulty system, which dictates which items you get from clearing missions.

-Nue's Operation BigBurn (Platformer)
So, Dangerous Suwako was brought up earlier; That game is essentially the sequel to this. Stage progression is completely different though, as it's an open maze of stages; Sort of like Gensokyo No Nazo in that sense. Now, while Nue's "campaign" isn't all that amazing for running Any%... Suwako's is another story. Suwako's mode is called "Moriya Tour 2", and it's the game's masochism mode. While I haven't played through it in a while, I'm pretty sure it's a bit more reliable than Dangerous Suwako's Masochism mode (as a side note, Dangerous Suwako is subtitled "Moriya Tour 3"). Getting all the "cards" would be a nightmare (STAGE 55 WHY), so it'd be an Any% run if it were to happen at all.

And as for games that could be played at a TGDQ marathon in general:

-Amapani (Platformer)
The game supports up to 4 players. This could possibly fill the "obligitory 4-player trainwreck" slot. They haven't implemented netplay yet, so only local play is possible at the moment.

-Marisa Party (Touhou-flavored Mario Party)
If there's going to be a bonus stream... yeah.

Quote from: Serela
Youyou Kengeki Musou, and -that- one would be nice.
They're actually working on a another, similar game now, this time starring Remilia. I played the trial, and I will say, it's gonna be pretty sweet. It also looks really good for speed-running (dat divebomb attack). I don't think the full version will be out for a while though, as they're putting out another trial for it at this Comiket.

« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
I'd say it would almost have to be done via home streaming right now. I mean, the reason the GDQ's work as meetups is simply because they are big enough to warrant it, as it is well enough known to be able to get donations to pay for people to gp and all that. I'm really skeptical about being able to make a purely Touhou speedrun marathon large enough to reach this point. At least, for now.

That said, a "TGDQ" would be a fantastic thing to do, and it would definitely be something I'd be up for. NSML was one of Kilga's target games after all :P. I dunno how many people would even attempt to run the likes of MariAri though, if anyone even has... seems way too scary D:

Actually, that feels like it might be a bit of a problem as a whole. For all the viable fangames and such that there are, how many of them are actually ran by people? I'm looking at just Kilga's list, and though I admit I haven't actually seen all of them being played even casually I haven't seen any sort of speedrun for quite a few of them. That isn't exactly a huge confidence booster for making a whole marathon out of this. Of course, my knowledge of the speedrunning community is limited, especially of the Touhou fangames, but it's still a little disconcerting.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
53:59 2nd try at DS any%.  Still pretty bad, I'd like to get that under 45 minutes semi-consistently, but 54 is a start, and something I'd be happy with in any prospective marathon.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
Actually, that feels like it might be a bit of a problem as a whole. For all the viable fangames and such that there are, how many of them are actually ran by people? I'm looking at just Kilga's list, and though I admit I haven't actually seen all of them being played even casually I haven't seen any sort of speedrun for quite a few of them. That isn't exactly a huge confidence booster for making a whole marathon out of this. Of course, my knowledge of the speedrunning community is limited, especially of the Touhou fangames, but it's still a little disconcerting.

Yeah, I agree 100%. There are a lot of Touhou fangames out there; but when you start filtering out
1) The games that just plain suck
2) The games that are good but cannot be sped up enough
3) The games that can be sped up but just aren't fun to watch
then the whole thing seems to become a lot shakier. I mean SGDQ had over 80 games during the main marathon of 5 days. That's over 15 games a day on average. In comparison Kilga's list had 19 total, meaning we only have about 1.5 days worth of games, maybe. I admit I have no idea how to solve this issue. My only ideas are to allow the main shooters* in and/or make it an all-encompassing Doujin games marathon. That could hopefully fill in some of the catalog issues.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but this is a really big flaw that I feel needs to be ironed out before people get too excited.

* Yes I know you can't speedrun a shooter, but you can scorerun and/or set up survival challenges instead.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
Guys. A marathon doesn't have to go for days >_>

A 24 hour touhou marathon would be enough. Also, the /srg/ marathon was done via restreaming. Dickoak said it involved streaming directly to his server, then having the restreamer stream from there

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2013, 08:51:43 PM »
There is also the possibility of having a TGDQ at an event where a bunch of Touhou fans alreay have an excuse to gather, such as Otakuthon's Hakurei Shrine Festival in two weeks (which I still need to write a newspost about). If there is another such event in the future, it would be a prime candidate for this.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
If anyone had wanted to go to ADGQ to try running a touhou game, the games topic where people pitch their games was created today.  I'm gonna be writing something and posting it soonish.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2013, 05:54:36 AM »
If anyone had wanted to go to ADGQ to try running a touhou game, the games topic where people pitch their games was created today.  I'm gonna be writing something and posting it soonish.

Everything is so slow ;_;

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
Well, there is the Megaman Battle Network Marathon that just happened (currently on a bonus stream), so maybe things for this aren't as unlikely as we're making it out to be?
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.