Author Topic: Wallhacker  (Read 1819 times)

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
Wallhacker
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »
I felt like seeing what I could toss together in about 2 hours and came up with a simple little game. I should stress this was literally coded in 2 hours so it's quite rough around the edges. :)

Wallhacker (Download)

The idea behind the game is pretty simple: when three or more blocks of the same color form a horizontal or vertical line, they are cleared away. Rows are occasionally added to the playing field and when the blocks reach the bottom, the game ends. There's a caveat: you cannot fire a block of the same color twice (to prevent spamming the same color over and over to get a bunch of "free" points).

The game will sometimes fail to detect a row of blocks properly or otherwise mess up the grid in a minor way, though this shouldn't come up too often. Aside from that, F1 will make the game larger-scale (the window-management was ripped right out of another project and I didn't bother to make it fullscreen instead - sorry) and the rest should be self-explanatory. The game is also easily moddable (I'm distributing a Reimu-themed version of the game here, since this is a Touhou message board..) - just open "res/resources.cfg" and have a look. There's no means of managing multiple "skins" through the game itself but renaming files works just fine (again, I did code this in 2 hours so that it supports simple modding at all is already quite a lot ;) ).

So hey, nothing too impressive but I figured this could entertain someone for a few moments at least. ;)
Like me, for instance. While coding it. Muhaha!

(Edit: Not 100% sure this'll work with 32-bit OSes as it was compiled under my 64-bit configuration. If anyone has problems running it I'll recompile as Win32...)
(Edit 2: Here's an alternate, non-Touhou version.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:31:03 PM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: Wallhacker
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
Where is my fmodex.dll? :3

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:38:17 PM »
Where is my fmodex.dll? :3
Should be right at the root of the zip ???

Edit: On testing everything seems fine with the one in the zip. What kind of problem is it giving you? If it can't find the dll for some reason, try putting it in a common path (eg, something your %Path% environment variable is set to, or the Windows folder).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:47:14 PM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:01 AM »
Oh cool,  do you know a game called Columns @Ethan? When I was a child I played it a looooooooooooooooot and I always wondered how the color formation check function works. One day I'll create a fangame about it :)

And about your project, I think that you can still spamming colors because you can use 2 different colors, something like:

"Press A, move right , press S, press left, press A ....."

So it is a score spam, I think that you could create a system that let the player choose only 3 from the 6 colors available and when he hits one key like A, the A color changes randomly to another color. Also you could give an extra score bonus if the player avoid to repeat the same key, this way you could force the player to think about the colors that he has available to maximize his score.

What do you think about the implementation of AI opponents to play versus, is it complex?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:55 AM »
Oh cool,  do you know a game called Columns @Ethan? When I was a child I played it a looooooooooooooooot and I always wondered how the color formation check function works. One day I'll create a fangame about it :)
I drew inspiration from those types of games, actually. :P Every couple of frames I simply go through the grid of blocks and count how many of the same color are in a line. If there are more than two, I set them in the "kill" state. Another part of the update function takes care of removing the blocks in the "kill" state too and sets a number of points the game can add to the player's score. It's kind of messy though.

And about your project, I think that you can still spamming colors because you can use 2 different colors, something like:
"Press A, move right , press S, press left, press A ....."
I've noticed that too. My best attempt is around 180-ish. My best score is like 600 from carefully spamming two colors over and over. I was thinking of only making 4 colors in a row give points and removing the one-color-at-a-time limitation... Though to be honest I don't know if I'll rework the game much - it was more of a personal challenge than a serious project. Still, it wouldn't take too long to modify...

I was also thinking five blocks, maybe even four, may be easier to manage. Personally I frequently press the wrong key and stack up the wrong color at the wrong time too often. Maybe it's just me. :)

What do you think about the implementation of AI opponents to play versus, is it complex?
A basic AI in some kind of split-screen gameplay wouldn't be too hard. It could attempt to find the best color/spot and, if nothing good's available, attempt to fire a block of the same color as the block closest to the top of the screen (to avoid killing itself off in the end-game by piling blocks too high). Making it take advantage of combos and such may take a bit more effort though. :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:26:46 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest