Author Topic: Kaku Seiga's Sprite Motif - ZUNTATA  (Read 5375 times)

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Kaku Seiga's Sprite Motif - ZUNTATA
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
Source: http://dic.pixiv.net/a/%E9%9C%8D%E9%9D%92%E5%A8%A5  (I was browsing around the web and found this and thought it was interesting.  I've elaborated more on it after some more research)

Thanks to Touhou Wiki, we know that our second hermit on the line was based off from an estranged novel on the 18th century.

It appears that the motif for Kaku Seiga's sprite was based off from something a bit more recent.

Come forth ZUNTATA, Taito Corporation's "house band" composed of Taito developers.  They have developed soundtrack for many games of the past, such as Darius, Rayforce and Puzzle Bobble, as well as recent games of similar franchise. 

Is it just a coincidence that the logo of the company that produced classic shooter's soundtrack resembles the sprite of Kaku Seiga, a shooter game of the recent days?
Is it just a coincidence that both cases have the "ZUN" associated with it?

I think not.

ZUNTATA website: http://zuntata.jp/
ZUNTATA wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuntata
ZUNTATA Discography: http://musicbrainz.org/artist/63d4eab6-de28-42d0-b506-148df013a618
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:13:35 PM by Sedrife »

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
Re: Kaku Seiga's Sprite Motif - ZUNTATA
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »
I told you all that this game should be called Ten Trolls, or at least be called like that.

Ask Mister Zun, or find his commentary to it to find out if it's true.

On the side note... there are visible differences really....

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »
Ooooo, neat! I was wondering if she was based off of anything. A lot of the Ten Desires cast felt kinda wierd to me because it didn't seem like their physical appearance were based off of much (unlike most Touhou characters), though I figured most of them probably had an inspiration SOMEWHERE that I just didn't know about. This seems to be the one for Seiga here.

A lot (maybe not all, of course) of the differences look like they can be chalked up to the perspective.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »
On the side note... there are visible differences really....
Even if ZUN was inspired by the logo, Seiga wouldn't be an exact copy, after all.

It is interesting to see something like this. It would be amazing if it really was a coincidence.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
Well, ZUN's name is based from ZUNTATA, so I wouldn't be surprised of the similarities. Let alone Native Faith is based on one of Taito's game "NightStriker". But good find.

AxiamWolfe

• Virtual Jet Jockey too
  • 生存戦略!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Note the fact that ZUNTATA did cover some Touhou songs for Music GunGun 1 and 2, if I'm not mistaken. I remember there was a UN Owen and a Necrofantasia, thought there might have been one more that I may have forgotten.

All the more reason for ZUN to make a "cover" of their logo in return I guess.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »
ZUN has also gone on record that the Darius series has always been one of his favorites and the whole "giving bosses distinct names and designs" came from those same games.

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:25:56 AM »
Didn't ZUN used to work for Taito?

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
Didn't ZUN used to work for Taito?
Yes, he did.

In fact, I read somewhere that ZUN uses his alias as a reference to ZUNTATA. I don't quite remember where, though; probably something to do with Music Gun Gun.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu