Author Topic: The most in-depth English interview with ZUN ever  (Read 18282 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
The most in-depth English interview with ZUN ever
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Hey folks, remember that thing from 2013, when a Western journalist did a "most hardcore ever" interview with ZUN for his book?

I had been keeping watch on the book since then. The author's project went through some ups and downs, but ZUN's interview was finally published in 2014 as part of "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Volume 1" (physical copy, Kindle).

At this moment, for a limited time, it is also available as part of a DRM-free ebook bundle. You only need $12 to buy it along with some other copious volumes of video game writing.

By the author's permission, I've put up an excerpt on the wiki, which should give you an idea about how much new material there is in the interview.

Disclosure about my involvement:
Long story short, I got into contact with the author in early 2014. When the author said he needed an illustration containing all Touhou characters, I suggested the fanart by Fuuzasa, and helped obtain Fuuzasa's permission.

Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: The most in-depth English interview with ZUN ever
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
In my honest opinion, while the StoryBundle is an extremely generous deal, and the author is considering releasing the full ZUN interview for free, buying a physical copy if you can afford it would be a nice way to show support for the author, who still needs to publish the next two volumes at his own expense. The book is absolutely worth it if you care about Japanese video game history.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
I didn't know about this book, it got a lot of other people covered.

Consider me interested, thanks for the heads up.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
Got the book, noticed that the author recommends the wikia site for more info. I find this incredibly amusing, somehow.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
Got the book, noticed that the author recommends the wikia site for more info. I find this incredibly amusing, somehow.

He links to touhouwiki.net later on, I think he was just confused over which term to use. A lot of people have started calling any gaming wiki a wikia for some reason.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:50:54 PM »
My wallet may not thank you for the heads-up, but I do! :P  Gonna enjoy reading these all.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
Hmm...  One of the biggest things in that interview excerpt is the fact that Taito actually attempted to ask ZUN if he would let them release Touhou as an arcade game.  Wow, it was one step away from being commercial and not doujin, but ZUN refused.  XD

I think that was a critical point for Touhou.  Had it gone mainstream it probably would not have become what it is today and may have not lasted as long.  He would likely not have rebooted the series like he did from PC-98 to Windows and thus many characters we know likely would not exist (we would have had some very different plots and characters).

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:56:59 PM »
I think that was a critical point for Touhou.  Had it gone mainstream it probably would not have become what it is today and may have not lasted as long.  He would likely not have rebooted the series like he did from PC-98 to Windows and thus many characters we know likely would not exist (we would have had some very different plots and characters).

Ehh what, the context makes it clear this happened after EoSD.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »
Time to support an author! Bye money!

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
If you excuse me, this John Szczepaniak writes for the site Hardcore Gaming 101A list of the articles written specifically by him.

I first read about the book on the site, it has a share of interesting articles (the site, i mean, i don't have the book).

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 12:52:23 AM »
My english is bad but the link that you share from touhouwiki is just some part not the full version of ZUN's interview in the book right ?

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:04 AM »
Correct, the actual interview is much, much longer.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Drake

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 02:01:47 AM »
The excerpt on touhouwiki is roughly 1/6 of the actual interview (in number of exchanges), to get a sense of scope.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:10:48 AM by Drake »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 03:25:12 AM »
I wanted to order a copy but shipping is probably sort of crazy for something that large. I'll see about getting a digital copy through that bundle site though.

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
I was kinda on the fence with this, but then I read the full list of other people interviewed and I'm definitely gonna grab this now.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 08:05:36 AM »
=O I need to have this

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
Sweet :3

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
Bought the digital bundle. Thanks for promoting this - there's tons of interesting stuff beyond the ZUN interview, and these indie authors need the support for their hands-on work.

Edit: aww yiss, the book about Japanese indie games also has an interview with Kotaro Uchikoshi. You know, the Ever17/999/Virtue's Last Reward guy. There's some serious effort gone into this one book alone.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:01:59 PM by not ZUNs wife »
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »
I wish I knew who any of the other interviews are, and I'd buy it in a second. I don't though, which makes it a lot less appealing to me. Maybe it would be fun to learn, but I don't know that I would get that much out of the other interviews.

I might still buy it though, sounds super interesting.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Drake

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »
Man, there's a lot of stuff I want to put up on ZUN's wiki page that isn't in the short version of the interview. At least I get to remove that unsourced, likely misinterpreted quote about ZUN apparently tweeting about having a job other than Touhou since it's been bothering me for months.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Man, there's a lot of stuff I want to put up on ZUN's wiki page that isn't in the short version of the interview. At least I get to remove that unsourced, likely misinterpreted quote about ZUN apparently tweeting about having a job other than Touhou since it's been bothering me for months.
Is there a reason why you can't? Wikipedia references physical media and non-free sources all the time.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Drake

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
Because I'd basically be summarizing a lot of the full version of the interview. It isn't that I can't, but it's probably best to wait a bit longer to encourage people to get the book.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 02:13:54 AM »
The book's been out for a few months though.

Drake

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:41 AM »
Well, point. Guess I'm mostly thinking about it now because many people who might buy the interview probably wouldn't know it existed until this thread.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 07:31:22 PM »
Well saying "such and such is untrue (source cited)" doesn't really give away much of the content.  And if I recall correctly, the citation only has to state the source, not give the content of the source.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:33:00 PM by NuclearFalcon »

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 01:06:04 AM »
Shoot. If I could (read: money and mechanism), I'd buy this book just for the ZUN interview.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200