Author Topic: Pok?mon thread Generation 2: Gold/Silver version  (Read 48523 times)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: Pok?mon thread Generation 2: Gold/Silver version
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:14 PM »
I'm okay with the team I have at the moment, but I'm only just finished with the first gym so it will definitely change in the future.

I really enjoy purple slut kitty right now, her Assist move is a pretty cool move as metronome that only pulls from your teams moves. I could see it pulling some bullshit in matches if you're lucky.

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
Assist was Gen III. :x

Eh, better then Gen IV.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:37 PM »
I think I mentioned that I chose Smugleaf.

If I didn't, I just mentioned it now.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
Purple slut kitty is something I wanted to use but have been trouble using, because it just doesn't pack any of the punch I'd like it to.
Also despite being a Dark-type, the other two vendor trash Pokemon you encounter early in the game will learn a dark-type move (Bite) earlier than it.
Fffff.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »
I'm probably getting the fire or water type depending on what my siblings choose, mostly because I want the dream world ability for Smugleaf, and the starter one would go unused.

Team's probably gonna look like this:

Rankurusu (Trick room sweeper)
Doreida (Sunny day support)
Zuruzukin (Bulk up)
Goruggo (Physical attacker)
Burunkeru (Tank/Status)
Emboar (Reckless attacker)

Then after main game, I'll make dark, ghost, and psychic themed teams :V

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »
I think purple slut kitty was thrown in there early more for the defensive typing purposes than the attacks, considering two other pokemon get a dark attack before her. She's the only dark type around for a long while it seems.

I've rather enjoyed the early game trash this game though. I'm especially fond of Advantageous Monkey (Water). Yes, thanks to Garlyle I'm calling the monkey trio that forever. I definitely loved how the battle music amped up when the first gym leader brought out his Advantageous Monkey.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »
The leopard gets Mischevious Heart as an ability. This means always getting to use Taunt and other status moves first. It's actually pretty awesome for support and all that.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »
O-kay! playing through LeafGreen to reorient myself with the series. Is it just me, or is Parasect kinda... broken...? I'm having trouble trying to keep it from overshadowing my other two current Pokemon because of how fast it levels up...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:58:48 AM by ChainsawGuitar »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »
Nah he levels quicker but he has poor moves and lower stats than most so in the end he'll likely be weaker unless you signifigantly overlevel him.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
Nah he levels quicker but he has poor moves and lower stats than most so in the end he'll likely be weaker unless you signifigantly overlevel him.

Uhhh

Parasect gets Spore and has Slash, poor moveset it does not have.

Not arguing about the stats though

« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
Uhhh

Parasect gets Spore and has Slash, poor moveset it does not have.

Not arguing about the stats though
There's also the matter of "spontaneously combusts if a Fire-type so much as stares at it". Parasect's okay if you put False Swipe on it and use it to help catch stuff, although if you can get a Breloom it pretty much obsoletes it.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
There's also the matter of "spontaneously combusts if a Fire-type so much as stares at it". Parasect's okay if you put False Swipe on it and use it to help catch stuff, although if you can get a Breloom it pretty much obsoletes it.

>Breloom
>Leaf Green

:/

Okay, fine, you can trade, but still.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
TBH, I only rated Parasect based on how I felt it compared to the other grass types. It specfically counters Exeggutor at the very least. :]

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
To be honest Spore is all I really think Parasect ever had going for it. Slash is kinda meh and Spore comes late IIRC.

Also Fire Blast Tauros might be useable in 5th gen with Encourage.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:46:17 PM by Rikter »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:03 PM »
Speaking of Leaf Green, I remember the trade Mr. Mime being incredibly obnoxious. Not only was he in the low 80's while the rest of my team was half his level due to trade bonuses, he completely destroyed most anything that came around. Magical Leaf is a fun ninja-grass move.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »
Hey so like I can't find any clear information on Black and White, what new game mechanics does it have? All I've heard is that you can do 3v3 now which sounds like a clusterfuck.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »
Hey so like I can't find any clear information on Black and White, what new game mechanics does it have? All I've heard is that you can do 3v3 now which sounds like a clusterfuck.
In all honesty, a lot of stuff hasn't changed.  The biggest core mechanic changes that comes to mind is
1 - EXP now scales based on level differences (Which means you spend the majority of the game being roughly the level of your opponents, and that it's really hard to overgrind for anything).
2 - TMs are now infinitely reusable

I mean there's a lot of new features like the 3v3 battles (Which are rather neat), random wi-fi battles, the whole dream world thing, c-gear, etc.; but there's very few mechanics that have changed.  Some moves have been rebalanced, old Pokemon have new abilities and stuff, etc., on top of the slew of new moves and Pokemon... but compared to the changes between generations in the past, the mechanical differences are slight.

There's just a lot of improvements beyond just the mechanics.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »
I finally got Pokemon White on my DS!

...I had to do it at school but totally worth it!

...Ima start a new game :]

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
In all honesty, a lot of stuff hasn't changed.  The biggest core mechanic changes that comes to mind is
1 - EXP now scales based on level differences (Which means you spend the majority of the game being roughly the level of your opponents, and that it's really hard to overgrind for anything).
2 - TMs are now infinitely reusable

So basically, as I suspected, once they added held items and abilities and fixed all the problems with RBY's original system, there wasn't any new mechanical space to explore with the current battle system. And they wouldn't dare to try anything new with the core mechanics, so they'll never do anything new with the battle system again. Fantastic.

I was getting tired of the Pokemon formula back in Gen 3. I swear, if Gen 6 doesn't break free and make a new battle system, then...then...then...I DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Did they at least do anything about the fucking HMs?

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
Should be anime-style battlans, amirite?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:23 AM »
Hey guys!

I'm steamrolling through the game right now, just beat the 1st gym in under 2 hours! I suspect the 2nd gym will trash me though.

0217 6493 1428
Name: リスチー

In case anyone cares!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »
Did they at least do anything about the fucking HMs?
There's less of them than there has been in the past two generations and as far as cut/strength goes, once they take effect, it stays affected instead of resetting when you return.  I think you can also freely overwrite HM moves now too, which works nice with the whole infinite TM thing.

Either way I'm fine with them working on balancing and tweaking the current system, as opposed to completely overhauling it.  Ultimately, the mechanics have been sets of smaller changes and new features that over the course of four new generations have completely overwriten almost everything under the hood, but it's still largely the same as it was since the first one.

Besides, it seems like this game focused more on improving outside of the battle system.  The flow of the game, the amount of story, the variety of the world, the quality of the visuals, use of dynamic music, the level of challenge, etc., were all very carefully worked on and are pretty significant improvements over past entries in the series (There are people who say that there's more story in the opening cutscene when you power the game on than in any of the other main pokemon games as a whole, and they might be right honestly).

So I suppose if you're purely into Pokemon for the competitive metagame (well actually you might look in anyway because dream world abilities have kidneypunched the competitive scene completely, but anyway), you probably won't find as much significant... but if you're not the type to enter that scene it's a difference that you can definitely feel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they did a lot of little tweaks towards making the game play much faster than before, which might not sound like much but if you've been playing Pokemon for a long time, it really feels faster.
So ultimately, it's not like a whole lot can be really qualified as "oh this mechanic changed", but rather the mechanics are packaged in a far better packaging this time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:17:42 AM by Garlyle »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
I have a feeling they completely revised the EXP curves to accomodate EXP scaling too, because it's way easier to level against Pokemon of your own level

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
Alright sorry, I didn't mean to sound like Chainsaw Guitar or something. I'm just bothered that it seems like Pokemon is always the same game, just with a tweaked game mechanic or one new feature, and now this one comes along and they didn't even bother to add a new feature to the core gameplay. It reeks of incredible laziness.

There's less of them than there has been in the past two generations and as far as cut/strength goes, once they take effect, it stays affected instead of resetting when you return.  I think you can also freely overwrite HM moves now too, which works nice with the whole infinite TM thing.

If the part about freely overwriting HM moves is true this sounds like an okay solution. Diamond really pissed me off with forcing you to have at least one full-time HM slave and other HM moves scattered on the rest of your team.

Besides, it seems like this game focused more on improving outside of the battle system.  The flow of the game, the amount of story, the variety of the world, the quality of the visuals, the level of challenge, etc., were all very carefully worked on and are pretty significant improvements over past entries in the series (There are people who say that there's more story in the opening cutscene when you power the game on than in any of the other main pokemon games as a whole, and they might be right honestly).

Speaking of which, how is the flow of the game? Did they do a better job of dispersing type varieties of Pokemon? I would flip my shit if we got another ten thousand water types and one fire type, looking at the Pokedex it looks like that's not the case at least. But do the Pokemon vary more by area? Does every cave still use the exact same Pokemon as the last (minus one rare one differing)?

Also what is this dream world thing? I haven't heard about that.

ALSO, DID THEY FIX FUCKING STEALTH ROCK?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
The type varieties definitely seem to be better varied.  It's a bit controlled early on - they actually designed the first gym to use this against you and require you to branch out and search a little more to get something specifically to counteract that.  You very quickly get access to pretty much any types you'd want, however, and given that there's more Pokemon added in this generation than there was in the first gen in total, there's no real shortage of options.

As for what is where, I will say that they varied up the environments enough that you aren't just journeying through cave after cave, and on top of that from what I can see of an encounters-by-area list (Though it's far from complete), it appears that the pokemon you can meet up with change fairly constantly.  Since there are only new pokemon up until you obtain the National Dex, this really helps keep things fresh throughout.

As for the dream world, it's one of the new features.  You can upload your save data online, and then go traipsing through the "Dream World" using your normal net, where you can find pokemon you wouldn't normally find in the game.  They carry different abilities from their traditional counterparts, however, and if you're big on the metagame, some of these have opened some interesting new opportunities for Pokemon that previously were ignored.

As for Stealth Rock... it works the same, sadly, but there are more ways to counter it (including bouncing it back at your opponents) this time.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »
ELECTRIC ZEBRA

how is that not awesome

come on stuffman

also you can get a psychic type damnably early

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »
Alright sorry, I didn't mean to sound like Chainsaw Guitar or something.

That was uncalled for. Care to explain why you felt that was necessary?

Matsuri

« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2010, 05:57:01 PM »
You reap what you sow, kid.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »
So in #T-M Trance, Matsuri and I decided to make a channel for Pokemon and potentially arranging matches using Shoddy Battle, Pokemon Online and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. It's named #Poke-Meido because thats what happens to every channel that is made to unclog #T-M.

Also more people should use Pokemon online as located here  http://www.pokemon-online.eu/ it's a pretty good UI for making teams easily.