Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83709 times)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #720 on: October 20, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
I was on an Arena game in Nucleus and I swear to god every time I walked out of the spawn a Soldier had rocket jumped all the way over and blasted me in the face. I was rage.

Although then we did melee only for awhile and I discovered the bullshit that is a critical Heavy fist.  :V

« Reply #721 on: October 20, 2010, 06:57:56 PM »
Heavy's though are a lot easier to hard counter with a spy or sniper. Also now every soldiers got the lol box.
I'd make a server with no soldiers or demos if I could host.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #722 on: October 20, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
Clever Heavies wait for you to come to them, and toss their Sandvich on the ground so they can backpedal over it as they need to.

Cleverer Heavies don't keep their guns spinning up when running halfway across the map, either :derp:

I will admit, a smart Heavy with a skilled Medic on his back can block a push and bring it to a screeching halt, but a well-placed Sniper can unblock it. It's all about checks and balances - you take away a class, and you leave a huge gaping hole to be exploited. If you take Pyros out, Soldiers and Demomen dominate. Take Snipers out and Heavies run amok. Take Heavies out and Scouts make off with your intel. Take Pyros out and Spies go ballistic against the Snipers and Engies.

Checks and balances. They were all put into the game for a very specific reason; taking a class out is like ordering an authentic Italian pizza so you can pick the toppings off til  you're just left with pepperoni and onions. What's the fucking point?

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #723 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »
I wish the world has less spies when I'm trying to engineer.  :ohdear:

« Reply #724 on: October 20, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »
If you take Pyros out, Soldiers and Demomen dominate
Actually, Soldiers and Demomen are both soft counters to Pyro if the soldier/demomen in question isn't terrible.  In a shotgun fight or against a solly that knows how to utilize splash to hurt you from outside airblast range, a Pyro has almost no chance of winning in a head-on fight.  Even with the sticky rearm ninja buff, Demomen can still airburst stickies on an attacking Pyro's face.

I wish the world has less spies when I'm trying to engineer.  :ohdear:
Watch your back more.  If they sap your stuff, kill the spy before the sapper.

Alternatively, enlist a terribad Pyro to W+m1 in circles around your dispenser and remove sappers for you.

Bananamatic

« Reply #725 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
fyi everything counters pyro

« Reply #726 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
fyi everything counters pyro
Pretty much.  Even revolver spy outdamages Pyro if in flame range but outside melee range.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #727 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
It still amuses me how many spies still try to backstab me when I'm wearing a Razorback.  :V

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #728 on: October 20, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »
They probably want to get the achievement. It's the only reason anyone would do it. That or they've never seen a razorback before.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Bananamatic

« Reply #729 on: October 20, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
I accidentally facestabbed a razorback sniper once

feels bad man

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #730 on: October 20, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Why is the Backburner called W+M1?
Never understood that.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #731 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »
W+M1 is basically saying "Walk forward and hold down mouse 1". Basically it's a jab at saying pyros take no skill past running around blasting fire.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #732 on: October 20, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Pretty much. No strafing either. The BB gets more flack for it because that's all you can do with it, since it has no airblast.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #733 on: October 20, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
Eh. That lack of airblast - though I'm terrible at airblasting - is the sole reason I don't use the Backburner. Every time I decide 'eh, why not; I can probably get some people with the auto-crits', the entire enemy team becomes Soldiers shooting eye-level rockets.

In that thread...

Trading Supply Crate and spare Flare Gun and Huntsman for stuff, including a Degreaser, Vita-saw, and YER~

« Reply #734 on: October 20, 2010, 10:34:21 PM »
They probably want to get the achievement. It's the only reason anyone would do it. That or they've never seen a razorback before.

I wouldn't find that surprising since I haven't seen too many Razorbacks before the update.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #735 on: October 20, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
Speaking of achievements, I killed a spy that had broken my razorback and didn't get the achievement for it. It might be because someone else assisted me but still. >:

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #736 on: October 20, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »
well that was the worst game of TF2 I've ever seen

Dustbowl.  No point lasted longer than a minute and a half.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #737 on: October 20, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »
Why is the Backburner called W+M1?
Never understood that.
When it was first put in the game, it also gave +50 HP.  At the same  time, Valve had also realized the Pyro was unbelievably UP (think current vanilla Pyro with even lower damage and range and no airblast), and decided to give the flamethrower no damage falloff to coincide with its lack of damage rampup.  The result was 225 HP backburner Pyros that still did max damage out to near mid-range.  It got nerfed a week or two later, but the W+M1 label stuck.

« Reply #738 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:49 AM »
Finally got my FaN back. I'm going to have to slap my brother around so he doesn't craft/trade it.

and another crate.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #739 on: October 21, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
Cadmas, if you want a spare FaN, just for the in-case, I'll take that crate or any scrap metal you may have :v

I'm just the Familiar Fez off from the Spy polyset now, or the hat and Mad Milk for Scout polyset. If I can get some metal put together, I may be able to finangle a hat out of my friend :>

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »
I like to have at least one of every weapon, even razorbacks, in case Valve decides to change things.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2010, 02:49:58 AM »
Cadmas, if you want a spare FaN, just for the in-case, I'll take that crate or any scrap metal you may have :v

I'm just the Familiar Fez off from the Spy polyset now, or the hat and Mad Milk for Scout polyset. If I can get some metal put together, I may be able to finangle a hat out of my friend :>
Thanks for reminding me, I need to get yet another Fez after trading my most recent one to Ghost. :<

Spy set's bonus is awesome by the way.  You can usually decloak two character lengths away from someone with the dead ringer without them hearing you. :V

« Reply #742 on: October 21, 2010, 03:04:29 AM »

Na my brother normally uses crates to get paint and hes still looking for a hatless sniper.
I really don't care about all these vanity items, but I am sick of my brother giving weapons away for useless junk.
Still haven't got my lucksman back just keep getting gunslingers and ambassadors.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #743 on: October 21, 2010, 03:05:14 AM »
Oh, yeah, I had fun today defending the intel as a Demoman earlier. Couple of Engineers had the one entrance blocked off in two directions with their Sentry turrets, so all I had to worry about coming from their end was a cloaked Spy, so I just had to park my back in a corner and watch the other way with my Scottish Resistance stickies littering the floor.

Turns out one spy managed to make it by a few times, and he would try to tangle with me because he couldn't clear out enough of my stickies without me noticing them disappearing and blowing the rest of  them up in his face (they were seriously scattered around) and charging him with my regular launcher/whiskey bottle, or risk trying to pick up the intel and run by without his disguise, prompting me to gib him with the mines.

Ended up dragging him down below-decks (this was on 2fort, I know, we all agreed it's a terrible map but I still enjoy it) and murdering him a few times, and then he started getting smart about it; he realized I'd run up to the courtyard every so often to help the engineers up there deal with the Heavy+Medic, Pyro, Demoman, Scouts that would come runnin in and try to pick off their turrets (and I scored a fair amount of kills by lobbing grenades under their cover from the shed in the courtyard, wheee) that he'd wait for me to come back down and try to backstab me as I went into the resupply room.

The first time I went down I discovered he was smart to me because I was backpedaling down the stairs, shooting my grenades up, and he tried to get between me and the resupply so he could stab me - but I whirled around as I shot my last grenade to reload and steer myself better and saw him decloaking. Loaded a grenade, snap-shot it at him, missed but it bounced around and dealt some splash damage, I swapped to my bottle and ran into the resupply, then turned around and blew my SR stickies under him. Gibbed!

Later on I acted as though I was gonna run for the ammo and health kits down there, stopped and whirled and shot a pair of grenades in one smooth motion and killed him, cuz he was moving in directly behind me.

Another time I'd accidentally hurt myself a bit with a richochet'd regular grenade to my face, and went to go pick up the health kit, but it wasn't there cuz I'd just ...done the same thing a few moments earlier :>
and bumped into him. He'd taken a few shots while running down the spiral, and was waiting for the health kit to respawn under him. Kerplooey!

:3   I had fun playing defensive Demo~

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #744 on: October 21, 2010, 04:07:51 AM »
Medic is a lot more fun that they would seem.  :ohdear:

I started getting item drops again, thank god. Got a Sandman and Vita-Saw so far.

« Reply #745 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:55 AM »
Oh yeah Shortstop. Today is good day. If my brother crafts it with the FaN. I'm going to punch him in the face.

IDk why he even bothers making scrap metal anymore. To make 3 refined metals with the drop system would take like 1/2 a year.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #746 on: October 21, 2010, 05:11:50 AM »
Sometimes weapon models won't load for me on a certain server.  I've backstabbed a sniper with an invisible razorback before. :(

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #747 on: October 21, 2010, 06:45:48 AM »
Why don't more people like Medic again? I actually have quite a fun time running around healing everyone and stuff, even if I don't necessarily get to kill people in the face.

Also, pocketing people as a Medic is bad and you shouldn't do it unless it could be a good ambush method (like overhealing or ubering a heavy to push on a checkpoint). I've seen Medics that just run around with their medigun on one person the entire time and want to smack them in the face.

« Reply #748 on: October 21, 2010, 07:01:44 AM »
I get really bored when playing the medic. When I play the spy or scoot I get pumped up b/c there's more danger.
I like to be behind the enemy killing them rather than holding the mouse down and getting assists.

But then there are people like my brother who have the medic as there favorite class.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:05:26 AM by Cadmas »

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #749 on: October 21, 2010, 07:03:31 AM »
Why don't more people like Medic again? I actually have quite a fun time running around healing everyone and stuff, even if I don't necessarily get to kill people in the face.
  • Shooting people in the face is more fun.
  • You're reliant on other people to protect you, and frequently people suck at that.
Also, pocketing people as a Medic is bad and you shouldn't do it unless it could be a good ambush method (like overhealing or ubering a heavy to push on a checkpoint). I've seen Medics that just run around with their medigun on one person the entire time and want to smack them in the face.
Pocketing is fine, ignoring everyone else isn't.  Besides, healing people that are injured charges your uber faster.

Some classes (mainly heavies) need a medic on them when you're pushing and getting shot at.  And I will totally play favorites when it comes to ubers and kritzes - if you repeatedly suck I will prefer using it on a scout instead, and if you do well you can expect getting them more often.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?