Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83710 times)

Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #540 on: October 15, 2010, 04:26:27 AM »
I used to really hate PL maps till I started playing spy on them. Its so easy to backstab the enemy team with the cart and teammates distracting.

Bananamatic

« Reply #541 on: October 15, 2010, 05:59:40 AM »
Consistently scoring high as pyro now, degreaser really makes the shotgun pyro much better :V

also name my degreaser, found a nametag

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #542 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »
Dear lord this game is like crack. ;_;

I'm still nib and pretty bad when I get faced with good players but that's probably just something I'll get better with with more time. I'm still stuck between Scout and Soldier, I tend to epic fail anytime I touch Sniper. I haven't really given anyone else too much playtime.

What advice can you give to getting better with aim, other than "hit them". I'm guessing I might want to tinker with my mouse sensitivity a bit.

Oh and all you engies out there, I fucking hate your sentries. ;_;

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #543 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »
I... slightly like 2fort.  Kinda.  You just have to stay away from any Instant Respawn 2Fort server, because making progress on them is damn near impossible.  (Actually that's good advice in general when playing on public servers - Instant Respawn isn't bad for practice, but it ends up in way too many stalemates or giving the defending team way too much of an advantage)

Bananamatic

« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »
I really don't get SPUF
you get lots of rep for trolling

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:19 AM »
5th crate drop. First 4 had a name tag, white paint, Scottish Resistance, and something else I can't remember. This time? Napper's Respite. I would've preferred the sombrero, but I'll take it.

Bananamatic

« Reply #546 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
You actually open them? :V

Also I want a rocket jumper. I'll give a hat for it once I get one.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:53:32 AM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #547 on: October 15, 2010, 12:44:55 PM »
Random thought: Unusual Whiskered Gentleman + Unusual Napper's Respite

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #548 on: October 15, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
Crates come way too often. I want my Sydney Sleeper damnit. It's perfect for me because I can't get head shots.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #549 on: October 15, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
I got the fish, a crate, and scrap metal for this week. zzzzz. wtb old drop system back.

Random chance is way better than limited quota.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #550 on: October 15, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »
Random thought: Unusual Whiskered Gentleman + Unusual Napper's Respite
Nah...Unusual Modest Pile of Hat + Unusual Whiskered Gentlemen. 
Spoiler:
Personally I'd want an Unusual Vintage Merryweather, but the bowler hat with the monocle would be classy.

Preferably both of them would be on fire.
I got the fish, a crate, and scrap metal for this week. zzzzz. wtb old drop system back.

Random chance is way better than limited quota.
I found a Pyro's Beanie...the only thing that I would call notable.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:18:55 PM by Barrakketh »
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #551 on: October 15, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
Turning the mouse sensitivity down = much better soldier is me. I still haven't really tried rocket jumping much yet though.

So far I haven't found anything Soldier wise other than a Direct Hit that Garlyle gave me. I got a Dead Ringer, L'Entranger, Gunslinger, and a Scottish something.

Barrakketh

« Reply #552 on: October 15, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
Turning the mouse sensitivity down = much better soldier is me. I still haven't really tried rocket jumping much yet though.
I have my mouse DPI fairly high, but in-game sensitivity is 1.

Also, tr_walkway is your friend but you're gonna have to wait a bit since the Polycount update broke it.

So far I haven't found anything Soldier wise other than a Direct Hit that Garlyle gave me. I got a Dead Ringer, L'Entranger, Gunslinger, and a Scottish something.
The Direct Hit sucks IMO.  I know some people make decent use of it, but from a practical standpoint the reduced splash radius hurts a lot (mainly due to the reduced effectiveness of crit rockets).  And that last weapon you found is The Scottish Resistance.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #553 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
Actually it was a Scotsman's Skullcutter, my bad.  :V

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #554 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
I have a nametag I don't particularly care for, and I'm looking for a danger shield, and a sydney sleeper. Scrap availible too.

EDIT: I've decided to keep the nametag. I think I'll use it on the knife. What a good name for it? I'm thinking something like Posterior penetratior or something like that.

We can't name sentries, right?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:11:24 PM by hyorinryu »

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Bananamatic

« Reply #555 on: October 15, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
I named my knife Anal Probe :V

also am I finally a good pyro

tbh I like him because he requires something completely different than aiming(which I suck at)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #556 on: October 16, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »

Bananamatic

« Reply #557 on: October 16, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #558 on: October 16, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »
I've learned to rocket jump pretty well... but not where and what I can rocket jump to. That's... kinda the more important knowledge isn't it? Oh well.

I feel like I might be improving a bit but I still die fairly easily so MOAR PRACTICE.

Also I got a Mann Co. Supply Crate, can I trade it for something? Like a Blackbox maybe?

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #559 on: October 16, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »
So I switched to fullscreen mode instead of windowed, and now I'm suddenly a demigod at rocket jumping and aiming.
 :V

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #560 on: October 16, 2010, 01:34:11 AM »
Sorry to spam the thread, but if I have two crates, is it a good idea to trade them for a reclaimed?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #561 on: October 16, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
Sorry to spam the thread, but if I have two crates, is it a good idea to trade them for a reclaimed?
Unless you have plans to open 'em yourself, yeah, it's a good idea.

« Reply #562 on: October 16, 2010, 02:16:02 AM »
I named my knife Anal Probe :V

also am I finally a good pyro

tbh I like him because he requires something completely different than aiming(which I suck at)
Hey, stop stealing my demos.  Damn, your pyro play is similar to mine.  :V  Particularly loved the quickswitch to reflect that rocket at the sentry before swapping back to the shotty.  Even though I knew the weaponswitch time is fast enough to do that, I've never bothered once to do so.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #563 on: October 16, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »
I'm really itchin' for either a Degreaser or a Shortstop. It seems like the Shortstop is the go-to weapon for equipped Scouts - I still maintain my earlier statements, that it rips through people waaaaay too fast, though it is balanced out by the Scouts' frailty.

Barrakketh

« Reply #564 on: October 16, 2010, 02:57:08 AM »
I'm really itchin' for either a Degreaser or a Shortstop. It seems like the Shortstop is the go-to weapon for equipped Scouts - I still maintain my earlier statements, that it rips through people waaaaay too fast, though it is balanced out by the Scouts' frailty.
It does less damage than the scattergun and can only keep up DPS-wise if you factor in a reload.  It has better range which makes it more appealing against certain classes (like pyros), but you're also not going to be taking down beefier classes in two meatshots.

And the set gives you more health while the scout still maintains his speed and double-jump, which is how you avoid getting hit in the first place.  The Milkman set is pretty ridiculous.

« Reply #565 on: October 16, 2010, 03:06:45 AM »
It does less damage than the scattergun and can only keep up DPS-wise if you factor in a reload.  It has better range which makes it more appealing against certain classes (like pyros), but you're also not going to be taking down beefier classes in two meatshots.
Also, the Shortstop only shoots 4 bullets per shot in pistol-spread as opposed to the scattergun's cluster of 10 (or FaN's cluster of 12), so you need to be really accurate to keep up with scattergun damage.  Even then, pistol spread is really unpredictable, and you can get fucked over even with perfect tracking.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #566 on: October 16, 2010, 05:26:29 AM »
Well, I'm more than certain that you're absolutely right - wasn't doubting it to begin with - but still, it's frustrating to get chewed up by reflex shots from Scouts coming around corners and ripping my Demoman apart in two blasts of the Shortstop. I know Demomen aren't the best meatshields around, but still. It just torques me every time I see it, especially since that's all I've been seeing Scouts use lately is the Shortstop. And if they don't have that, it's the Force o' Nature, though I can understand that one.

Regardless of all that, I have finally started getting my first Scout drops. Got my own FaN, now. Went to go trade a crate I'd found for a Shortstop, and at the end of the trade, found a Holy Mackerel.
Of course, now Steam is buggering me, and I can't see the Shortstop in the Scouts loadout screen, even though I've equipped my Mackerel. I just reset Steam to see if that'll fix it; otherwise I'll just have to go a day or so and see if it straightens itself out.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #567 on: October 16, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »
Holy bageebus, full screen makes a gigantic difference in my playing ability. I went from complete nib to actually decent. Woo!

Also, fuck random drops. I got another freaking Force-A-Nature. ;_;

Bananamatic

« Reply #568 on: October 16, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
119 points as pyro on cp_steel
feels good man

« Reply #569 on: October 16, 2010, 05:14:41 PM »
Holy bageebus, full screen makes a gigantic difference in my playing ability. I went from complete nib to actually decent. Woo!

Yeah it would likely make a difference in my game play as well but we have like 1200Xsomthing screens.

I get blind sighted so often by melee.