Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83715 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #510 on: October 12, 2010, 04:17:52 AM »
Hey if you knew anyone who was trading anything better for an afro I would've been all ears.

All I know is there's no way I'd get a Hound Dog for it.

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #511 on: October 12, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
what I was so late ?

Subnormal Halfspy

• Post-College Lass
« Reply #512 on: October 12, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »
Haven't played for a while since there was no connection for the previous month, so back to random class playing again, especially when switching between Engineer and Pyro.
Discord: (Please PM me for my user ID!)

Current avatar by yours truly!

« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »
lol sniper polycount pack on 2fort

They never figured it out; one of them went ragespy to get me. BV

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #514 on: October 13, 2010, 01:25:31 AM »

Never thought to aim for a bodyshot, eh?

On the 24/7 2fort server I wander through on a regular basis, just about every sniper there has a Sydney Sleeper, so they never aim for headshots anymore. The standard reply to being hit with the Sleeper is 'Headshots? What's that? Why bother?'

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #515 on: October 13, 2010, 03:10:08 AM »

« Reply #516 on: October 13, 2010, 03:13:53 AM »

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #517 on: October 13, 2010, 04:09:13 AM »
I'm wondering, as a Spy, can you kill an Engie with the Wrangler and then taunt kill the Sentry before it reactivates?

« Reply #518 on: October 13, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
I'm wondering, as a Spy, can you kill an Engie with the Wrangler and then taunt kill the Sentry before it reactivates?
If you time it right; the Wrangler makes even a level 2 sentry sturdy enough to survive a taunt kill, so you need to make sure the last hit lands after the shield goes down.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #519 on: October 13, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

These days whenever 2fort comes up I usually camp snipers on the deck.  The ones using the sniper set are easy kills since they can't hear me uncloak (spy set bonus) and aren't using a Razorback, so they can be silently picked off without the other snipers catching on.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Bananamatic

« Reply #520 on: October 13, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
I pulled off my first proro rocket jump

unfortunately, it sent me back to our base

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #521 on: October 13, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »
I pulled off my first proro rocket jump

unfortunately, it sent me back to our base

I did an airblast reflect of a Direct Hit rocket and ended up throwing myself over a small pit and died from the fall-damage, without killing the Soldier who shot it at me :C Am I doing it right?

I'm actually having a fair amount of fun playing Pyro. I have a Backburner, but I'm more interested in learning the proper timing for airblasting, so I'm sticking to the normal flamethrower till I get a Degreaser.

Bananamatic

« Reply #522 on: October 13, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
I actually did the entire push on gorge myself as pyro, from 17 seconds left on first point to winning :V

« Reply #523 on: October 14, 2010, 03:22:09 AM »
Headcrabs just dommed me on a 2fort server by pissing on me every time I crossed the bridge. :getdown:

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #524 on: October 14, 2010, 05:17:50 AM »
Headcrabs just dommed me on a 2fort server by pissing on me every time I crossed the bridge. :getdown:

Huntsman + Jarate + Bushwacka = rambo sniper  BV

« Reply #525 on: October 14, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »
Huntsman + Jarate + Bushwacka = rambo sniper  BV
I wanted to arrow reflect kill you, but I was never actually attacking you every time you killed me :<

I started killing the rest of the snipers with reflected sentry rockets later though, so it's all good.

EDIT: Also, they finally fixed the stickybomb reflect icon :3  Better yet, I found yesterday that that 0.2s rearm time on reflected stickies can be useful for stickybomb jumping as a Pyro.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:48:05 PM by Esoterica »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #526 on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
My friend bought me Orange Box on steam so I'm in the middle of downloading TF2. Anything a first time player nib should know before jumping into the game?

« Reply #527 on: October 14, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »
My friend bought me Orange Box on steam so I'm in the middle of downloading TF2. Anything a first time player nib should know before jumping into the game?
-Don't start with Spy.
-Heavy is the easiest class to play.  Many would argue Engineer is easier, but it's pretty  easy to be bad at engie if you don't know where to put your stuff.  You can also get away with spamming as a Soldier or Demoman, though being good with both classes takes a lot more depth.
-Scout and Sniper are aim-reliant classes.  Pyro is reflex-heavy in addition to that, and requires a bit of map knowledge as well as being limited to close range.  Starting with said classes probably aren't the best idea.
-Don't play 2fort unless you're just screwing around, trolling, or don't have long to play and are just looking for a match you don't need to commit to.  2fort's a turtle-heavy spam map with conditions that throw every other map's sense of class balance out the window.

« Reply #528 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Don't listen to Eso. Start with spy, make Gaben backstabs.

« Reply #529 on: October 14, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #530 on: October 15, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
I wouldn't completely discount 2fort though. Sure, if you want to competitive, it's not the best idea, but it's a good tutorial for the TF2. The instant respawn makes it easier to practice your airshotting/rocketflecting/other fun stuff.

As for what class to choose, I would reccomend Medic because he's relatively beginner friendly and even if you suck, people will still be happy because there's a medic on the team.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #531 on: October 15, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »
I wouldn't completely discount 2fort though. Sure, if you want to competitive, it's not the best idea, but it's a good tutorial for the TF2. The instant respawn makes it easier to practice your airshotting/rocketflecting/other fun stuff.

As for what class to choose, I would reccomend Medic because he's relatively beginner friendly and even if you suck, people will still be happy because there's a medic on the team.
No, it's not even a question of competitive.  It's a horribly designed map that causes horrible skews in gameplay that you'll never see on other maps, doesn't promote teamwork in the slightest, and promotes sniper wars.  Also, it's not instant respawn, the map itself has about a 16-20 second respawn time.  Servers just usually set it to instant respawn because it's as bad of a spam map as Dustbowl, if not worse (probably worse, due to enclosed hallways).

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #532 on: October 15, 2010, 01:49:22 AM »
I'll never understand why dustbowl is played on the competitive scene. It's a terrible map that's shut down by a good demoman or engineer. The wrangler's only made it worse.
Also: I got my vintage vintage tyrolean painted violet. Now I can medic in style. 8)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #533 on: October 15, 2010, 02:29:49 AM »
Well despite the advice and despite me (probably) epic failing...

Goddamn Scout is fun as hell.

« Reply #534 on: October 15, 2010, 03:02:26 AM »
I'll never understand why dustbowl is played on the competitive scene. It's a terrible map that's shut down by a good demoman or engineer. The wrangler's only made it worse.
Also: I got my vintage vintage tyrolean painted violet. Now I can medic in style. 8)
DUDE YOUR NAME IS FUCKED UP IT'S ABAB NOT BABA

lol2fort

@actual quote: Dustbowl in comp's a Euro thing.  Other leagues phased it out years ago.

Well despite the advice and despite me (probably) epic failing...

Goddamn Scout is fun as hell.
Scout's a great class, it's just not recommended for beginners due to a combination of strict aiming requirements and horrible survivability.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:04:10 AM by Esoterica »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #535 on: October 15, 2010, 03:04:37 AM »
Yeah, my aiming needs work but I was still managing to get a somewhat decent amount of kills.

Solider is probably the closest second, much more durable and rockets are rather entertaining.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #536 on: October 15, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
No, it's not even a question of competitive.  It's a horribly designed map that causes horrible skews in gameplay that you'll never see on other maps, doesn't promote teamwork in the slightest, and promotes sniper wars.  Also, it's not instant respawn, the map itself has about a 16-20 second respawn time.  Servers just usually set it to instant respawn because it's as bad of a spam map as Dustbowl, if not worse (probably worse, due to enclosed hallways).

True. Crappy chokepoints are crappy. What would be a good tutorial map then? Granary? Or is there one?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #537 on: October 15, 2010, 03:15:25 AM »
True. Crappy chokepoints are crappy. What would be a good tutorial map then? Granary? Or is there one?
Gravelpit's probably a good choice.  Though Blu will almost always win, it gives you a good sense of how to play both offense and defense, and now to act both out in the open and in enclosed spaces, as well as providing every terrain you'll encounter barring water (fighting on a hill, elevated platforms, towers, level ground, tight hallways...really, everything).  Also, the class balance is astounding, allowing every class to be used to the best of its ability.

Single-stage payload maps are also a safe bet.  Badwater comes to mind, but Upward isn't bad either.

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #538 on: October 15, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »
ha ha, old chap! 2fort :V

Gravelpit's probably a good choice.  Though Blu will almost always win, it gives you a good sense of how to play both offense and defense, and now to act both out in the open and in enclosed spaces, as well as providing every terrain you'll encounter barring water (fighting on a hill, elevated platforms, towers, level ground, tight hallways...really, everything).  Also, the class balance is astounding, allowing every class to be used to the best of its ability.

Single-stage payload maps are also a safe bet.  Badwater comes to mind, but Upward isn't bad either.

Gravelpit and Upward are both really nice maps that are fun to play on.
Oh, if you ever play Arena YellowYoshi, make sure you avoid watchtower. It's the 2fort of koth/arena maps.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #539 on: October 15, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
I played a good bit of Payload at Badwater, it was fun times.

Also, what lucky bullshit. I just got the Crockets Are B.S. achievement. On day one of playing. :smug: