Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83712 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
It also seems to crash after facestabbing sometimes :V

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »
System specs and OS?
Sony Vaio VPCF121FD/B
4.00 GB Ram
Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz
Nvidia GeForce 310M (512MB, IIRC)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2010, 03:22:37 AM »
Sony Vaio VPCF121FD/B
4.00 GB Ram
Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz
Nvidia GeForce 310M (512MB, IIRC)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Right-click the game icon in Steam, "Properties > Set Launch Options", then type "-threads x" with x being how many virtual cores you want to use (4 would obviously work, but depending on what you have for hyperthreading you can go higher if you want).

Also, "mat_queue_mode -2" in console, and disable affinity for core 0 in task manager.  Should make the game playable on a quad core, which I would bet good money is what's causing your crashes.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:44 AM »
Right-click the game icon in Steam, "Properties > Set Launch Options", then type "-threads x" with x being how many virtual cores you want to use (4 would obviously work, but depending on what you have for hyperthreading you can go higher if you want).

Also, "mat_queue_mode -2" in console, and disable affinity for core 0 in task manager.  Should make the game playable on a quad core, which I would bet good money is what's causing your crashes.
Heh...I'm using a quad-core (AMD, not Intel) and TF2 is stable.  mat_queue_mode is -1, no -threads or affinity fuckery is necessary.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
Heh...I'm using a quad-core (AMD, not Intel) and TF2 is stable.  mat_queue_mode is -1, no -threads or affinity fuckery is necessary.
:<

You should've used that luck of yours to win the lottery instead.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2010, 03:21:50 AM »
Lucky me, the latest optimization update has caused my game to go as low as 10 FPS. Kinda weird since I've been using multi-core rendering and it was supposed to be improved in this update.

SAS

• The Worst Person In the World
  • I have a deathwish
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
Playing some dustbowl, successfully defending second point of the first round, then the usual bullshit happens.

BALANCED TO THE LOSING TEAM

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
Pssh, that's nothing. I've had the auto balance kill me when I had an ubercharge ready, or when I cap the final point and win the round by myself.

Bananamatic

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
62/29 as demoknight
direct pipes>stickyvomit

Barrakketh

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Pssh, that's nothing. I've had the auto balance kill me when I had an ubercharge ready, or when I cap the final point and win the round by myself.
Or you're an engineer.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »
By the way, do you guys know when the Highlander tournament might end? I think Valve won't release the Polycount update until that ends

« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2010, 11:28:17 PM »
By the way, do you guys know when the Highlander tournament might end? I think Valve won't release the Polycount update until that ends
You're half-right; they're waiting on a Highlander related event to end, but it's not the tournament.  There was supposed to be a Highlander match with Valve employees (Robin included) as well as comp players from both the US and Europe in order for Valve to see firsthand how each class handles in a semi-competitive environment.  The match was slated for September 2 and the patch for September 3, but some fags DDoS'd the servers they were trying to play on, so it got postponed.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »
I was looking at the Highlander page on the wiki and I saw that all participants get a medal. I wish I had accepted the Halolz admin's offer for a spot on their team, but I declined since my internet is unreliable and likes to spontaneously disconnect.

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »
I just got TF2 recently and haven't even played it yet, but it seems to me like I shouldn't play on the steam servers.

That about right? If so, what other servers would I play on?

Barrakketh

« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »
I just got TF2 recently and haven't even played it yet, but it seems to me like I shouldn't play on the steam servers.
There are no "steam servers".  Basically every TF2 server with decent performance is hosted by a company that sells dedicated servers with X number of slots available on them (you generally pay a certain amount per-slot) and the server's owner foots the bill.

All servers that appear in the server list (Servers, Internet tab, filter by game "Team Fortress 2") are simply ones that have registered their selves with the master server list when started.

General guidelines for picking a server:
  • VAC secure
  • no bots (or no more than one, but no bots is a safer bet)
  • doesn't have the words "idle" or "achievements" in its name (or the map name)
  • no 24/7 servers (ones that run only one map - Nemu's Proving Ground is 24/7 Goldrush, Nemu's Stomping Ground is 24/7 Dustbowl).
  • no mods.  May be advertised as such.
  • no instant respawn
  • low ping (the lower the better)
  • 24 players.  There are servers that usually allow for 32-34 or so players, but you'll quickly find that some maps are pretty damned "broken" when there are more players that they were designed for, especially when they go heavy on a certain class (Junction with 6-7 engineers on the final point is pretty damned terrible, Dustbowl with lots of kritz medics and demomen on the final corner of doom, etc).

« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »
There are no "steam servers".
There are Valve servers, actually.  But they're almost always password protected for comp matches, and they're pretty crappy.

Bananamatic

« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2010, 10:24:39 PM »
Instant respawn isn't that bad tbh, it's good for practice as you get to play more.

If you are from Europe, I'd suggest UKCS servers. Most of them are 33 slot, but one is 26.
Spawn is instant on that one though.

It also has a decent level of skill as far as pubs go...unlike some "true" pubs where pyros just zerg without a brain.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
  • no 24/7 servers (ones that run only one map - Nemu's Proving Ground is 24/7 Goldrush, Nemu's Stomping Ground is 24/7 Dustbowl).
EXCEPT 24/7 2FORT OBVIOUSLY

Bananamatic

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »

Barrakketh

« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2010, 12:00:37 AM »
unlike some "true" pubs where pyros just zerg without a brain.
If Pyros are really zerging like that I just go switch to Natascha.  It's a completely dick move, but if they're just rushing to the point (especially on KOTH maps) I'll make sure that they don't touch medic :3  Usually I prefer just mowing 'em down with Sasha, but when they're coming in numbers I found that the broken weapon works better.

« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2010, 12:51:19 AM »
Gotcha, that helps. 
stuff
Gotcha, that helps, thank you.

If you are from Europe...
Canadian, woohoo!

What exactly are "Natascha" and "sasha"? Are there any other terms I should know?

As a side, am I supposed to actually be able to beat computers?  I was playing an offline mode to try out some of the characters vs a "medium" computer team.  The only way my team could win a round was if I heavied, and even then we lost half the time. Is this simply a big "you suck" from the game, or can I expect improvements from online play and whatnot?

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
Gotcha, that helps.  Gotcha, that helps, thank you.
Canadian, woohoo!

What exactly are "Natascha" and "sasha"? Are there any other terms I should know?

As a side, am I supposed to actually be able to beat computers?  I was playing an offline mode to try out some of the characters vs a "medium" computer team.  The only way my team could win a round was if I heavied, and even then we lost half the time. Is this simply a big "you suck" from the game, or can I expect improvements from online play and whatnot?

Natascha and Sasha are the names of the guns you use as Heavy. You start with the latter and unlock the former. I'm pretty sure you'll find most of the other terms, we have an official wikia.

Eh...I haven't tried the game, but I heard the AI was bad. I would advise that you stick to online play.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Barrakketh

« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Natascha and Sasha are the names of the guns you use as Heavy. You start with the latter and unlock the former.
Sasha is called the mini-gun in the loadout, but if you watch Meet The Heavy he says its name is Sasha.

I'm pretty sure you'll find most of the other terms, we have an official wikia.
The official wiki is now here.  No horrible advertising and pop-ups now.

Eh...I haven't tried the game, but I heard the AI was bad. I would advise that you stick to online play.
The AI can vary between retarded and aimbot.

Bananamatic

« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
first nade airshot
but he lived

SAS

• The Worst Person In the World
  • I have a deathwish
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
Soldier~

First time seriously playing soldier. Aiming at the feet and rocket jumping is fun. We really turned the tides in this map ( when I joined it was OOOOO )
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:28:44 PM by Sasupoika »

Bananamatic

« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
Soldier~

First time seriously playing soldier. Aiming at the feet and rocket jumping is fun. We really turned the tides in this map ( when I joined it was OOOOO )
badlands is good

also I think worms was right
I got three airblast kills while Pendulum was on the radio

« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »
The AI can vary between retarded and aimbot.

Nothing is more fun for a spy than Bots that walk backwards.  :V

Barrakketh

« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
Nothing is more fun for a spy than Bots that walk backwards.  :V
Wait until you get the ones that will turn around and stare you well before you're in backstab range (or optimal revolver range for that matter). 

We have one bot on my regular server (he holds an extra reserved slot so regular players don't get kicked) and I can say that if the AI isn't spending time being dumb (which seems to vary from life to life) he can and will ruin a spy's day.  Sometimes they even have perfect aim (I've seen him land every single shot with the pistol on a spastic scout...it's almost like the spread is predictable and he can do it).

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2010, 04:12:06 AM »