Author Topic: PC98 Confusion  (Read 3267 times)

Thornytowers

PC98 Confusion
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:25:47 AM »
After searching through the threads of HME, I noticed a decent amount of people have played the PC98 Touhou games. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that most of the PC98 Touhou games only sold 200-300 copies. Where are some of you all receiving these old games? Do you have original copies of the game, or was there some reprint later on that sold more (like a collection disc or something)? Aren't the data disks for the original games made for the PC98 only? If so, is there some sort of external drive that can allow windows to read them? ???  P.S. I'm sorry if this goes in another section, I felt that this one matched best.

Re: PC98 Confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »
You can play the games on an emulator, like Next or Anex.

I recommend googling or asking on irc since, per my understanding, nobody will be able to help you here.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Thornytowers

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »
I understand the piracy rules, which is why I was wondering where I might receive actual copies of these games. Also, if I were to find actual copies of these games is there some sort of external floppy disc drive compatible with pc98 discs.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:39:46 AM »
I understand the piracy rules, which is why I was wondering where I might receive actual copies of these games. Also, if I were to find actual copies of these games is there some sort of external floppy disc drive compatible with pc98 discs.

I'm afraid you're pretty much out of luck when it comes to PC-98. I believe there was a rare disk that contained all five games floating around for 200 dollars, but even that isn't sold anymore as far as I know. If you could find a physical copy, it would be a near miracle.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
Last time I saw the games for sale it was 1.5 million yen (about $18.7k USD) for the 5 in 1 CD Donut mentioned, so yeah.  They're absurdly rare and expensive, but they'd definitely make great collectors items for rich Touhou fanatics.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:56:29 AM by ♥♥♥東方Hugger♥♥♥ »