Author Topic: Azur Lane - ship waifus and shmups and mobage: Now in English (Open Beta)  (Read 6196 times)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
Homepage

Google Play

iOS

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Kancolle, but for shmup fans rather than strategy(?) fans. Join now to get a free USS Yorktown.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Oh right, Kancolle but less dumb due to stupid RNG controlling everything.

I tried the original but maybe Ill give EN  a go...
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Jq1790

I'm pretty sure; apparently people in CBT had something special that they are putting some kinda code in to keep in OBT so I cant imagine things not carrying over.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Man, glad the EN ver of this isn't as far off from the KR atleast.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
I played the JP version after they had that Neptunia collaboration (so I could get myself White Heart and Blanc), but I couldn't stay too interested in the game after.

Maybe I'll give this game a shot again. Hopefully being able to actually read things will get me more invested in the game now like how Granblue Fantasy did. (And I hope they do a Neptunia event in this version as well)

Jq1790

I played the JP version after they had that Neptunia collaboration (so I could get myself White Heart and Blanc), but I couldn't stay too interested in the game after.

Maybe I'll give this game a shot again. Hopefully being able to actually read things will get me more invested in the game now like how Granblue Fantasy did. (And I hope they do a Neptunia event in this version as well)
That was the major reason why I stopped playing the other version of this game, too. I know a lot of people just read the words on other sites and navigate that way, or know enough Japanese or whatever, but that just isn't for me. 

A shame I didn't play long enough to see the Neptunia stuff but since this is a new server it wouldn't have mattered anyway.  Here's hoping for good things in the future!  I'm waiting for the flood of San Diegos I had been getting in the original since it seems like she drops like candy here too, from the looks of the in-game chat announcements and all.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Yea, I got invested in GBF as well after the EN option. I can't really get into mobages with a language I can't understand properly, primarily because of the UI(plus I only have N4 cert). Story is one thing that I don't mind reading later, but UI's quite important for me in terms of it being QOL features. I have FGO JP for that to not being able to read stuff thank you very much.

I'm just glad the EN version is only a year apart, unlike *some mobages*.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
I decided to download and give this a shot one day after English Open Beta started. I first heard about this game when the FGO subreddit had a post about the new ship Massachusetts, who looks a lot like Altera and is super hot. Let's face it, this is a waifu collector and the visual designs of all the girls are really varied and impressive so that was enough for me to take the first step. I've been playing for about a week now and I can identify pretty much all of the USS/HMS (American/British) ships by portrait because they are surprisingly distinctive without even using half of them. Just starting to see some of the IJN (Imperial Japanese Navy) ships now as they are starting to drop. Pull rate on SSRs is 7% so it's not a bad rate at all and 1 year into the game's original release, doesn't seem like there's any hardcore powercreep yet.

The actual gameplay is neat enough for a mobile game. Set a party of up to 6 ships, 3 backline ships and 3 frontline/vanguard ships. You primarily control the movement of the vanguard ships with your left thumb to dodge bullets and use the right thumb to launch torpedos, battleship barrages, and carrier bombing runs. Pretty much sidescrolling bullet hell with it not being THAT punishing getting hit and not needing to worry about your own guns since they autofire. The depth of the game is surprisingly high with the equipment to the point that consulting tierlists for the equipment seems mandatory and ships slightly less so. It might scare someone off initially and I didn't want to spend the time theorycrafting, but having the lists and going backwards from there to learning how the game works has made it much more bearable.

The real positive I'm getting from this game besides the ship-fus is the passive leveling and resource gathering via commissions. It's a brilliant idea to have a 9 hour long commission that earns some of your ships a huge chunk of experience and materials. Set it before you go to sleep, wake up to see that it is done, and set the next one before going to work. Have it be done by the time you are back home and more or less got the time to actively play. And boy, there's just enough to do in a day to appease both the hardcore gamer and enough variety to not make it too boring. Resources are given out generously enough as daily rewards and being a whale probably doesn't net that huge of an advantage because many of the best equipment have to be grinded for. Gacha currency is primarily for skins and wedding rings (oh boy oh boy oh boy!)

Finally, the game being released in English and there being a world chat which spams notifications of anyone rolling an SSR is nice to have. There's a real community there and plenty of newcomers who are experiencing the joy of a new toy.

My name in the game is Kirowind if anyone wants to add me. Along with the obligatory San Diegos, the only other SSRs I have so far are Enterprise and Hood. To my fortune at least, they are considered Tier 0 even in the up to date servers and they certainly do feel like it when I use them. At 7 days in, I'm loving it and will see how long it keeps my interest to play alongside FGO. Also, not being gated and compelled to play because of time based AP like FGO is also keeping my enjoyment high. Accumulating Oil that is used up to run a map is in my opinion a superior system in every way and allows me to play this primarily at night while I sneak in play time during the day to get through FGO. I'm considering buying gacha currency once just for the first time purchase bonus (you get an SR unit and some mats) and because it can cover initial desire for skins and not be as "haphazardly wasted" as a resource for rolling.

Jq1790

>SSRs besides 3d5

Luckyyyyy

So far I think I've gotten Sandy from all three gachas at least once each haha(a distant future update I believe limits her to just Light Construction but for now she can spook you from anywhere she wants.  SAN DIEGO NUMBAH ONE!).  At least when she retires she gives 10 Medals of Honor so I can save up for if a good girl or one I just like in general shows up in the exchange.

e:  TECHNICALLY I have Prinz Eugen as well who I just got today, but she was from logins so I'm not really counting her since I didn't fight RNG to get her.

Jei Kyu on there if people look for me for some reason.  (I wanted "JQ" but it was too short so I got creative.  I had to do the same thing in my short stint with FFXIV as well since they required a first and last name, annoyingly.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:45:03 AM by Jq1790 »

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
Kinda necro bumping the topic because of a few interesting things.

Azur Lane is quite popular in Japan despite coming into the scene after Kancolle and being developed by Yo-Star which is a Hong Kong based company. They just had a livestream to celebrate their second collaboration with World of Warships. They introduced 6 new PR ships which are endgame grind-heavy ships. But that's kinda not what I'm excited about. Instead:

They have a hint for an upcoming collab. I didn't recognize it on stream, but after seeing the Reddit topic about it, I couldn't help but get excited. One girl can't have so much power!

Also, at the end of the stream, Yo-star released 3 new PVs for upcoming games they are developing including some kind of Mahjong type game called Mahjong Soul. I'm not sure how unique this could be amongst what I would guess is a crowded market for Mahjong games, but it piqued my interest. Actually, I wonder if mahjong games are popular as mobile games because a mahjong match takes quite a while. Or maybe it's not multiplayer after all. :(

Anyways, Yo-star is flexing their muscle due to the success of Azur Lane. They've got the Azur Lane PS4 game in the works as well as the anime set to release later this year and confidently announced 3 new games in development. As for Azur Lane itself, I still play it faithfully. There are certain gameplay elements that are a bit poorly executed or dull, but still as a waifu collector, they do it very well. Character designs are top notch. Powercreep hasn't been overly bad except for perhaps Amagi and hopefully the new PRs don't overdo it either. Its gacha is fair enough in my opinion. And the global version is on an accelerated pace to try to catch up to the base CN and JP versions. We are getting major event after major event while simultaneously getting some events/skins to debut concurrently with CN/JP. It's probably never a bad time to start up because there are currently no brakes on this train.