Author Topic: Roping others into Touhou  (Read 2027 times)

Roping others into Touhou
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:26:57 PM »
I just can't do it. Any suggestions?

Siro

• Not your usual oni.
  • Captured by spirits.
Re: Roping others into Touhou
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
One of my friends got somewhat interested in it because of music. I then introduced some characters, one-by-one, along with a few jokes, and he eventually got somewhat interested in it...

...That is until he got himself into Homestuck.
my hopes and dreams are crushed :qq:

Basically, if the person likes video games, you can introduce the games/soundtrack to them. If the person likes anime in general, you could probably introduce the characters first, and then onto the other aspects. If the person likes fantasy-roleplaying-board-game-type-things-i-dont-even-know-what-to-call, then you could introduce the world of Gensokyo itself and the many species and landmarks that reside in it.

It really all depends on the person.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:45:10 PM »
This girl I know likes animu and mango, so I showed her the BAiJR mangas in class, but she didn't really care. Today, I showed her a capture of Border of Life and Death (still didn't care.)

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
I played a little game with my cousin called "adventure call" in which I introduced her into touhou through exploring Gensokyo in the form of a text-based RPG. I got her more into vocaloid through it because Len was a very nice person but overall she doesn't consider herself a fan of either - I'd put that down more to the tyranical rule of her mum's boyfriend than lack of interest though.

Don't know how well that would work on somebody a bit older though.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:44 AM »
Well, I don't see her much, only in my first class per day. Meh. A friend/acquaintance knows about Necrofantasia and U.N. Owen was her? but calls the latter "Death Waltz" which makes me want him to be immediately sent to the Lady Enma, and also cares little about the games themselves (yet he claims to like them, the half-assed hypocrite!) Ah, but whatever. Doesn't matter much no more.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:13:01 AM »
I have a friend that knows a lot about Touhou because of me, but he doesn't really seem to want to get into it. He's more into Vocaloid and anime stuff. I do play my Touhou musics for him when we have to go shopping or something. He seems to like the songs I have, mostly rock remixes/covers. I do have some nice instrumentals that he likes, though.

None of my other friends are as hardcore of a gamer as me so there's no point in trying to get them to play the games. One of my friends tells me that she would fail so hard at these games and gets lost just watching someone else play. They know about some of the characters and can recognize some of them (and by some I mean like 3-5) because of me. One of them went to a con and saw a Marisa cosplay and mentioned she knew who it was because of my constant Touhou ramblings.

Though, I'm pretty sure I'm "that" person on my floor of my dorm. :V And my suite mate probably thinks I'm insane for my random yelling at seemingly no one (my computer).

For you, yeah take it slow. Make sure they know what they are getting into. Don't be too forceful. Etc. Soundtracks are a great way to start and then you could show them some covers of a song they like, if they want. Everyone is different and most people just are not going to like the games, see female friend #1. Though, they might like some of the fangames. Touhou seems like someone everyone just has to discover how much they want of it for themselves.
Just...don't show them the odder side of the fandom. Yeah...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:18:24 AM by Yatakarasu »

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
Meh, I'm the only "hardcore gamer" I know, so there's really no chance. My dad thinks the games are pretty cool, though. He tried Double Spoiler once, but it was too hard for him (and me.)