Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta - the mystery box edition  (Read 64278 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta - the mystery box edition
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
HEY KIDS once husbando is off his tech support call I'll be streaming tonight stay tuned!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:23 PM »

We rejoin our heroes almost double posting in an internet forum thread. The nerve of them!

Well, not really. We rejoin them during a grinding session, which might be a worse crime than their rampant destruction if it weren't for the very real possibility that they could take on both Shinryu and Omega.

Levels are all well and good, but the real purpose is to get some spare rings and an extra pair of Hermes Sandals. This is also a good time to stock up on items and ensure that I'll have enough supplies to last me through the endgame. All in all, it's not really that painful considering I had the SGDQ marathon stuff running in the background and a rubber band around the fast forward button. :V

With the insurance policy in hand, it's time to prep for nobody's favorite dungeon, the Great Sea Trench!

Float is put on everyone before heading down because this place is stupid.

The enemies here have insane defenses and always come in bunches. Fortunately, everyone in the party is equipped and up to the task.

Seriously, with a souped-up Brave Blade, then the Sage Staff and Flame Lash exploiting weaknesses (occasionally), and then Holy cast on Lenna's sword gives the whole party an advantage over these guys where there could be none.

Last year, this place got painful. This time around, not so much.

There are a couple nice things around that are useful, but not really enough to merit how much a pain in the butt this place can be on 4JF playthroughs. The lack of enemy variety and damaging floors don't help.

These little pod creeps will resurrect if the battle isn't finished quickly. Luckily, this isn't too much of a problem.

Rally/lali-ho! Dwarves in FF games are always a chill bunch.

Uh... I MEANT to forget the Magic Lamp again this year.

This room is yet another miserable one because of the guessing game played with switches. It's good to know I haven't blocked out every memory I have of this place.

These... other things are typically more trouble because they'll cause a member to up and vanish from the fight if you so much as look at them funny.

The party has finally reached the end, but I have some doubts I'm really set and ready to go here.

Seriously, don't let me lose to these guys. >:(

Well this is even easier than I remember.

Except it isn't. Oops. Despite many encounters with these guys, I had forgotten just how quick their respawn rate is. All three of these chuckleheads need to be defeated at the same time. Not in quick succession like the gargoyle statues or the pod-shaped Unknowns. AT THE VERY SAME TIME without exception. Checking my options reveals a grand total of nothing convenient. Knight and Mystic Knight have no multitarget options, !Catch would require leaving the area entirely, and no !Mix potion has multitarget effects. Even breaking a staff isn't a thing because there doesn't seem to be one with a multitarget spell. Also as stated above I thought I had fetched the Magic Lamp but WHOOPS I rarely if ever remember to pick it up. I had come down here figuring that this was quite possible to whack them in quick succession with 3 potent physical fighters in the group and it would just come down to weakening them all the right amount beforehand, but NOOOOOOO.

So uh, embarrassingly, I sorta just reset things and casually waltz out. I meant to do that! Regardless, there isn't much to prove here other than this team lacks some multitarget attacks. Between the miserable slog it is to get here and the enemies, I abandon the whole thing. All things considered, the party is more than ready for the endgame anyhow. The Dragon Whisker might be useful, but getting it would require time and patience for a questionable increase in effectiveness. Much of the remaining team can contribute to beating up dragons and it won't be necessary for Shinryu.

Such is the fate of Team No Fair Cheating Except When I Do It. Join us next time for the continuing adventures of Team Boss Rush Crush or Team Too Bad It's Not The Interdimensional Thrift Grinding is Still Dull.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2015, 06:04:07 AM »
Yeah, honestly, unless you have a Time Mage, there's no real reason to go down there other than the free Flame Ring or the Kaiser Knuckles if you have a Monk - which you can just grab, then leave, and not have to deal with the boss.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Reddyne

« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2015, 11:21:20 PM »
Yeah, honestly, unless you have a Time Mage, there's no real reason to go down there other than the free Flame Ring or the Kaiser Knuckles if you have a Monk - which you can just grab, then leave, and not have to deal with the boss.
Completionism dictates that I should do it anyway, but really, there's no reward or point in doing so with this team at this stage in the game.

We rejoin our heroes doing what they should've done beforehand if they gave a crap about beating up the tosspots in the Great Sea Trench.

Here's that shiny Magic Lamp that I always wanted. A great tag sale special find to be sure. Right up there with my original movie poster for Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back.

Yeah, yeah. Hold still and let me beat you up.

WHOOPS I forgot the thing. Lemme try again.

Once again, chemistry saves the day as Bahamut's most potent attack bounces off the team and crushes him instead.

That's a whole lot of little explosions!

With the party fully stocked and ready to engage in some extreme deforestation, it's time to hop into the rift.

I just gotta remember which one it is! :/

!Control's battlefield... control proves its worth yet again by keeping one of the enemies preoccupied with casting spells on itself while Krile heals the rest of the team with the healstick. It's effectiveness has dwindled since enemies do nearly 10 times as much damage since I first got it while its healing potential has only doubled. This delay tactic helps it along and ensures I'll have more than enough Hi-Potions for more troublesome situations ahead.

Of course, there's always the magic inn-in-a-jar.

With my supply slowly dwindling, this is a nice find.

Momma always said to beware of naked ladies coming out from trees stuck in the interdimensional rift.

Hey lady that's a nice beach ball you got there. It would be a real shame if someo-

HEY WAIT COME BACK I WAS JOKING.

These things manage to confound me a bit. Hitting them is next to impossible and with the team's current setup I don't mind just running away rather than tolerate a few encounters with them.

Now for the real challenge. Neo Exdeath hasn't been too much of a worry as my team is pretty solid and doing some homework has hinted that my party has options for cheesing him to death if necessary. Shinryu falls into a similar category as I have both guaranteed berserk and blind at my beck and call. Omega is different.

Omega is a beast unto itself in that its speed and variety of attacks leaves you vulnerable at all times. No set of equipment guarantees the party much in the way of immunities. Atomic Ray is fire elemental and that's about it in the way of exploitable defenses. The remainder of its attacks aren't worth trying to protect against since they are limited to using petrification resistance and float on the team. It's doable, but they will only help so much. Not to mention, I don't know if it'll be worth the hassle. I would later learn that Omega uses Earthquake rather sparingly, which means that it isn't truly worth preparing for. It's good to have float !Mix combinations available as a backup option, though.

With the potential for so many blind spots, its really far more worth your trouble to prevent Omega from attacking AT ALL or at least enough so that it doesn't blast you to bits in one go. Hence, the basic theorem for beating Omega with this party is as such:

1. Hit it as hard and as fast as possible.

2. Limit its attacks as much as possible.

Pretty simple, but there are enough RNG shenanigans flying about that it should still prove to be a frustrating adventure. With this in mind, Lenna, my Mystic Knight, and Faris, my Beastmaster, are equipped with Hermes Sandals in order to ensure that their turns come up early and often. Lenna will go nuts with Thundaga on her sword while Faris will spam !Calm as much as possible. Lenna also gets a Flame Shield to protect against a stray Atomic Ray attack.

Since these two are the crux of the plan, Monty and Krile are left as backup. Monty will either !Guard or item spam depending on need, and Krile will provide potent !Mixes to boost Lenna's damage output and protect/heal our squishy little quartet of three princesses and a hobo.

!Calm works, but only so well. It does indeed delay Omega but its speed is so high it isn't delayed for very long. It is enough to boost the party's chance of survival up from HA HA GET REKT to significant levels though. The input for this game via emulation features just enough lag that it's easily possible to provide the wrong input. After many hours of experience this becomes easier to work around, but it takes a conscious effort to quickly select the right options. The extra effort provides enough of an improvement to merit it.

Lenna's attack proves to be VERY potent and far and a necessary component in beating Omega.

However, a bit of DRAGONFORCE manages to help things along. The increase in damage turns out to be critical as the boost drastically increases Lenna's damage output by some 40+%. This drops the number of attacks required to defeat Omega down from... 8 or 9 to around 6 or 7 if memory serves me right. Omega has roughly 55k HP.

Although its effectiveness is limited, the setup generally works, and Krile is able to set up defenses in time for trouble on most occasions.

All this strategizing runs headlong into the harsh reality that is the RNG. Lenna frequently misses against Omega and any string of misses spells doom for the party. Although this results in a number of TPKs, it confirms the importance of getting as many hits in as possible as fast as possible and as hard as possible. There is little I can do to increase the party's endurance by a significant amount, but getting nearly twice as many attacks in at a significantly higher amount of damage per strike becomes an imperative.

At this point, nearly everything comes down to simply bashing my head into this wall until it works, but yeah there are a couple tough moments.

That isn't to say that nothing goes my way, though.

After a string of lucky hits,

And Faris getting off !Calm right on time,

Omega bites it on attempt 8! It's a great relief as I was expecting to be dogged by the random numbers gods after last year's troubles. I even thought that the RNG might be so uppity that my chances would be a whole lot worse.

Awwww yeah so goooooood. At the time of writing, there only seems to be 15 other runners (out of 400+) doing Natural runs that have managed to beat Omega. I got a great roll for doing so and luckily did enough studying to make it happen.

Uh, hey bro, could you finish dying sometime soon? I gotta beat up a tree sometime this week. Seriously, there's so much rumbling and flashing!

After a bunch of wound licking and hoping that I don't get ambushed by something that will eat my face off, the team survives the odyssey back to the save point. A Cottage and some equipment checks later and we are ready to continue. Such is the fate of Team Ludditism, Ho! Join us again for the concluding adventures of Team We are Lumberjacks and We're Okay or Team Omae wa Mou Shinryu.

Reddyne

« Reply #304 on: August 06, 2015, 02:06:13 AM »

We rejoin our heroes committing their greatest crime yet: A double post! NOW GET TO WORK.

First victim of the day is Byblos Jr. who unfortunately forgets to try. Git gud son.

This floating platform section was never something I put much thought into.

The dragon enemies here provide some much-needed Dragon Fangs for the fights ahead. I still had some left but was chewing through them quite steadily.

Also these ninja are butts and their evade rate is like 90% so nuts to them.

Luckily Break Blade helps out a bit here and there.

Ah, the castle. I always liked how this place was designed. Several bosses. Enemies that keep you on your toes just enough to pose a threat, enemies out in the open guarding treasures, hidden paths that lead to goodies, and a save point rewarded to those who beat a boss.

Speaking of which, the original Blue Mage guards the save point and serves as the first boss.

I try to get cute. Unfortunately, it doesn't work when I want. :/

He still goes down pretty quick even with Mighty Guard and Death Claw. Hey! How come it worked on the 1st try instead of the 9th?!

Catastrophe is a bit of a problem child because it's usually focused on crushing you party with huge damage attacks. He's beaten to the punch and is down before a party wipe. Not pictured: The Archaeoavis palette swapped guys. They are a test of your patience. Between high HP, Maelstrom, and Circle, I don't care to bother with them beyond being reminded how these guys can really catch you off guard. The stuff in the treasure chests is not worth it for this party.

Ms. Fancy typically isn't too big a deal unless you get really bogged down in the fight.

Go, my precious froggies!

She and her dapper outfit don't last long. She dawdles about a bit, making it easy for a party that's ready to bring the pain.

OH SHI- I forgot this guy and he's the toughest of the bunch! CRAP crap crap. I get so distracted I miss taking a ton of screencaps. Luckily he doesn't go berserk the instant the encounter starts. He's got some nasty stuff in store if I don't get him first. I DO remember later that some of it is reflectable, but that's a moot point when you carelessly walk into a fight like this. This is the toughest boss out of all in the boss rush and it shows.

At this stage, Break Blade comes in useful for every encounter. It tears through pretty much anything.

HALLO FRIND! :3

Oh, uh, right at Albuquerque. Same as always.

Unfortunately, I'd really prefer to take this save spot here.

Necrophobe is a bit of a to-do but still only so challenging. Having potent healing and revive stuff helps a lot.

Buddy, wait! He's got less than 10k HP!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

;_;

Now it's time for Shinryu. Much like Omega, he's fast and hits hard. I thiiiiiink he starts off each and every fight with Tidal Wave, which is a guaranteed TPK unless you're ready for it.

However, Shinryu can be berserked. This poorly timed screenshot partially captures Krile getting a hit in with the Power Staff. This really simplifies things but leaves the possibility that he'll just steamroll over each party member individually. It's pretty futile to force feed the party dozens of Phoenix Downs, so a more permanent solution is required.

I JUUUUUST found out that the Blind drops accuracy to 25% of what it once was. This is HUGE. Add some Elven Mantles into the mix and the chance of surviving at attack climbs even higher. With that in mind, it's time to summon our inner Dovahkiin and stomp this thing.

Hey uh,

UM

SO HEY the regular blindness !Mix combo doesn't seem to work on Shinryu for whatever reason despite the whole 100% status effect accuracy for chemistry majors thing. However, the one that involves both blind and confuse works. Because ?????????????

After that it's just a matter of having Monty drink DRAGONFORCE and hacking away. Sure the party gets roughed up on occasion, but its no biggie. Also, the effects of DRAGONFORCE last the whole battle even if Monty gets whacked. This operates differently from every other buff out there and is great for these kinds of fights.

Ta-ta friend.

So long, and thanks for all the seals.

This is more or less what I've been waiting for.

I wasn't treating the Brave Blade right from the start of the game and now it's time to swap up. We had some good times for sure, though.

With the path clear, the only thing left is Exdeath himself.

What are you going to do, have your leaves change color in their general direction?

HEY THOSE GUYS STILL HAVE MY POWER TOOLS. You gunna get in now, buddy!

Exdeath is definitely very different than the two extra bosses. The sum total of his HP is somewhere between 250k and 300k with his first form and all 4 parts of his second form put together. Neo Exdeath in particular covers a horrifying array of painful moves and can effectively do you in with physical attacks, magical attacks, and status effects. He's intended to be taken on with a party full of well traveled companions, each with a few job classes maxed out and to the point where Freelancer and Mimic should be used to take advantage of passive skills. The extra bosses have gimmicks that are to be exploited while Exdeath challenges the player to milk the job system for all it's worth. But this is the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta! We take him on with what we've got!

His first form is actually a bit troublesome as he's got a physical attack that can 1HKO all but the hardiest party member. His White Circle (forgot the exact name) is also a 1HKO that petrifies them while killing them, meaning you have to go through all sorts of trouble trying to recover.

The second form is very different and should be handled as such.

The big trick to Neo Exdeath is knowing the nuances of each part. For instance, the central part uses Grand Cross and the barely selectable bottom front bit uses Almagest. Both of these will probably throw your party for a loop harder than the other stuff the other parts can dish out.

Some goofy experimenting leads to some interesting discoveries.

Of course, my recklessness gets me done in.

Setting things up for a second attempt means a bit more of a serious go of things. I still try to do things legit, but...

OH YOU'RE JUST ADORABLE. PREPARE TO BE HUGGED. It's time to bring the cheese!

Vengeance starts with our old friend Break Blade. Monty gets pumped full of DRAGONFORCE but only after the entire party gets the !Mix combo that nets a Goliath Tonic.

It just so happens that the Almagest piece is weak to petrification. There goes some 55k HP of Neo Exdeath in one hit.

The Grand Cross bit is next because there's always that chance that a bunch of your party will be petrified/zombified! It's chopped to bits in a hurry.

The top piece is next to last because we have a surprise waiting for that back piece. This is intentionally done as I had found out the hard way that if there is only one piece left it'll go NUTS and the gloves will be off.

With the front section gone, the Magic Lamp contains one big surprise for that la-

OOPS! Hold please...

Odin, who I never actually got, is the last Gungnir in Exdeath's coffin. The rear, which is typically the easiest to contend with, is weak to instant death attacks!

And summoning him up makes it look like a giant graphical glitch.

With that, Neo Exdeath is done. Hurrah!

Hey I've seen Ribs in so many of these credit rolls. :V

Knights are more boring than watching paint dry on growing grass while eating plain white bread that's been kept until it's gone stale. However, two handing weapons is a fantastic damage boost and their tanking abilities keep them alive long enough to seriously dish out the pain. If I had any other class, random battles would have been a pain and Monty was crushing bosses left and right with the Brave Blade.

Mystic Knights may not have been as impressive as I thought they might be, but are useful nonetheless. They might serve little purpose on a regular encounter, especially if what they're attacking isn't weak to anything. However, any baddie with a weakness became a victim in short order. Break blade worked as well as I could have hoped and as soon as I got Flare they were capable of dishing out a fair bit of hurt regardless of circumstance.

Beastmasters were a pleasant surprise. Damage output and survivablility were both pretty solid. Yeah, !Catch was used rarely at best, but great to have nonetheless. They really shine with !Control, which was a necessity for surviving some battles. With the Hypno Crown, they have a great ability that will benefit the team throughout the length of the game. !Calm came through in the clutch as well.

Chemists earn their reputation as being borderline broken utility players. Buffs, healing, status effects, instant-kill-always-effective stuff, and more. Sticking them in the back row was practically a requirement and their damage output isn't worth anything even when it comes to their potent offensive mixtures, but hoo boy is everything else they do fantastic. Although they require a great deal of knowledge to fully utilize, it was all worth it. DRAGONFORCE POTIONS, HO! Give me these guys over the Blue Mage's finicky RNG and long wait period for all the useful spells any day of the week.Yes, BM was critical to last year's victory, but it came down to 2 spells and not their entire range of tricks. Those 2 spells were received well after the game's midpoint and arguably past the 3/4 mark. Meanwhile, I used so many different !Mixes this year for many different situations and had them at my fingertips throughout much of the game.

I think I'll take it a bit easy on the storytelling next year, but this romp which probably covered somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ images and a novella's worth of text was still fun in its own right. Maybe I'll stop being so forgetful, learn how to properly write titles, and decide on which in-game terms should be capitalized or not before that time, but that's looking doubtful. Until then!

triangles

« Reply #305 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:33 AM »
With the Barrier Tower down, there's nothing stopping us from waltzing through the front door of Exdeath's Castle!

...oh
That's a pretty reasonable security measure. 

Now here I'm going to take a slight detour instead of making a bee-line to Ghido.  My team has very clear strengths and weaknesses - Atomos was an example of the former, but with a lack of AoE and reliable healing the next boss most certainly falls into the latter category.  I knew my strategy as soon as I got all my classes - to defeat the Seal Crystals, we must become Team Fight Fire With !RapidFire.

Except that !RapidFire is the capstone ability of the Ranger class, which is an additional 405 AP after the level I'm currently at.  Oh dear  :ohdear:

Welcome to Bal Castle Basement.  It's time to ruin dozens of art history essay topics by throwing.... magical syringes?  Knitting needles?  I never really thought about what a "gold needle" actually would be.  Either way, it's the most efficient way to get AP and unlike my prior runs boy howdy do I need it. 

Not too shabby!  I can most certainly finish up Ranger while I'm in the forest, and mastering Mystic Knight on HALLO? is just the icing on the fiesta cake.
As an aside, my current choice of Netflix shows for grinding is BoJack Horseman which I highly recommend.  I still have plenty of episodes left for Chicken Knife grinding don't you worry.

Ok I lied, another slight detour this time to get to Moore a smidge ahead of schedule for a certain something no I didn't take 20 minutes to figure out how to actually get there what are you talking about?

For those keeping score at home, -ga spellblades against a non-heavy monster that's weak to that element is insta-kill.  Sweet!

No need for it this year kids, gonna get me some dosh instead.

Now that I'm back on Plot Track, the only things that really gave me trouble in Ghido's cave were these buggers.   >:( Vampire  >:(  I feel no shame Break-blading them in their squishy face before they can even think about it.

bb no

Christmas mention count: 2
I like Christmas, I can get behind living on this planet if they have it too - minus all this crystal breaking and subsequent destruction going on of course.

Our buddy Ghido fills in some of the gaps we had re: Exdeath and gives us a Plot StickTM so we can mosey on into the Forest of Moore and (obviously not) break YET ANOTHER SEAL. Given how we've done the rest of the game to this point I'm just ever so slightly skeptical we won't goof this up somehow.

I've already geared up in Moore so into the woods I go!

The moment I was waiting for.  In retrospect I should have just kept Galuf as a little for reasons that will become clear in a bit.

Yeah that instant KO with Firaga Blade is rad.

And the monsters were so generous!  I wound up with 4 Wizard Hats too bad I don't have any wizards this year  :ohdear:
It's hard to see where you're going in this forest I always disliked it, but eventually I make my way through and then....

Sorry Smokey the Bear  :(

As we flail around aimlessly for a bit, this shield is ready to rock and/or roll.  I have TWO shield bearers this year so it will find a nice home!

Mooglefriend to the rescue!

It's about all we can do, and take a dive in the recovery spring.  Once the fires die out we can head back up the Mooglehole.

whomp whomp

I wonder what sort of hilariously flammable present was in there before we channeled some California.

Plot StickTM has some pretty sweet terraforming capabilities.

THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

Welcome to the Seal Crystals. 7777 HP a piece, and they each have their own elemental attributes.  Get one of them below 3k and they go into bonkers Mode.  Bonkers Mode is basically the crystals running around like a chicken with its head cut off but instead of a chicken it's spells that will 2 if not 1-shot me, shy of having reflect rings (oops) or flare rings (oops2)

ON THE OTHER HAND much like 1/3 of the bosses in the game they aren't heavy, and I'm sporting a MurderBow.  Which can now attack 4 times in one turn and therefore has 4 chances to activate you see where this is going.

I wound up wiping my first attempt through as I forgot just how terribad Bonkers Mode is when your healing is either RNG or linked to your attack stat  and decided I could still whittle down a crystal while waiting for insta-death to hit :ohdear:  Two Aqua Breaths and welp.

Take 2!
This time I just let Gramps have at the pewpews and everyone else would fling hi-potions as needed to make sure we didn't go into Bonkers Mode.  Looking back, if I had the mini status he'd be doing ticklekitten damage and I wouldn't have had to heal the crystals WHOOPS.

\o/

ruh-roh now you gone dunnit

IT'S ON

Galuf is too badass to let something as minor as "having zero hit points" get in the way of messing with Exdeath.

Though when the plot immunity wears off....

;_____________________;

I was really worried my first time through the game at this point, that all my work would go to waste so let me tell you this screen was like Christmas (mention count: 3) to junior-high triangles.

Only if he left the door unlocked when taking out the recycling.

Tomorrow I'll be streaming again and knocking down Exdeath's door oh boy!

triangles

« Reply #306 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:42 AM »
Twintania
I hope you abused when she's charging Gigaflare she is no longer Heavy and susceptible to a number of hilarious statuses including Break and Frog  :V

EDIT: 8:17pm and the party's about to start I was too busy doing boring dinner and laundry things earlier this evening oops. Exdeath was a super dumb battle but I WON GOOD RIDDANCE probably the only time where I was happy to get zombie status also next year someone remind me if I wind up with no mages go get a reflect ring  kthx.

triangles

« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2015, 12:51:51 AM »
I don't feel bad about triple posting it'd been 3 days 8:50pm August 8th watch me try and beat the pyramid not 100% sober hahaha I wiped on my way to the save point after Wendigo A++++ xXx420noscopeMLGgamerxXx

----------------------

Team 99 Mid-Tonics Hi-Potions gets prepped for the final romp in Act 2 because boy oh boy it's gonna be a doozy.

Sounds like a plan!
Spoiler:
spoiler: he socks me a lot more times first

Exdeath's Castle seems oddly friendly and mundane and missing An Exdeath.

Ah yes, decor ala Saya no Uta is more like it.  Let's press onward!

Fiesta Rule: If you roll Dancer you must make Buttz your primary/endgame Dancer.  ~*~fashionable~*~

This is how I dealt with 90% of random encounters.  How far we've come since quick save scumming to avoid these jokers.

Elixirs are always welcome, I'll be needing to stock up.

wheres my present

oh u

Gilgamesh Battle The Fourth and oh dear it gets very silly very fast.  But eventually I pokepokepoke my way through his HP pool.

That's the word I used to describe what my cats do with each other how precious sort of :3

On the other hand I don't think Exdeath is too fond of me winning all of our tussle so far ruh-roh

Also somewhere in all this mess just pretend there's a number of screens showing me flailing around the lava floors and wiping a few times because oops I miss Time Mage  :ohdear:
After all that, we made it to the 13th floor and the CEO's office.

And now the fun begins.  I have a team where my healing was limited to Drain Sword, Lance, and items so I knew this was going to be tricky and arguably the hardest non-super boss battle for my crew.  He has a 2/3 chance of starting the battle off with this fun spell, in addition to some of his AI script choices being significantly worse for my team than others I wound up just resetting a few times if things were looking pretty garbage right from the get-go, but I still did the regular ol' wipe thing too.

Though it was either the first or second attempt, and I soon found myself with all but Krile either zombied or dead.  This wound up working out pretty well surprisingly, as they couldn't really hurt Krile and she was in the air half the time anyway.

Zombied party members also served as a warm (cold?) body to eat Exdeath's spells.  I actually made it to his final spell rotation on this go-through and almost beat him.... before Krile got hit twice :(

I played Job Class and Ability Musical Chairs a bit after every wipe, and lucky for me Zent was in my stream chat and reminded me I can use the super-sexy !Spellblade/!RapidFire combo because of course I forget the main synergy my team is rocking.  I still wound up with a zombie dummy target but Drain Blade along with !Aim and !Jump and of course the blessings of the RNGods to dodge some nasty things....

GOOD RIDDANCE

More broken crystals why I never.

Was it all a dream?

wait a minute

wait a minute

It's that part of the game where our heroes come back home and celebration time \o/
And hey at least no matter which eligible bachelorette HALLO? scores with he'll wind up royalty!

Buddy why are you so bad at actual non-battle dancing :fail:

The party ain't over yet, and we have some adventuring to do!

Check back again soon for more fun times from Team Zombie Goasts Leave This Place

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games

triangles

« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2015, 11:29:16 PM »
EDIT: 8:37pm and I'm gonna be streaming real soon.  Can I beat Exdeath tonight?  Hopefully! VICTORY!!! Omega and Shinryuu you're on notice!

Sweet looks like I will not be guilty of quadruple-posting though this is gonna be a bit of a doozy to catch up.  I also was slightly not 100% sober for a good chunk of this so my collection of screenshots is a bit..... eclectic yeah we'll go with that.
------

Team Even My Friends Mock My Driving Skills set out from Tycoon to explore whatever the heck turf we're tumbling on.

Hark, a plot gating bridge has been erected!  We mosey on over to pretty much the only cave that's ripe for the exploring, meeting our ol' pal Boko who is somehow getting more action than a team who socked Exdeath, and promptly fall in because of course .

hey wait this looks familiar...

(thx google image search)

Hello Antlion.  This guy isn't hard, really the worst he can do is Dischord you to ticklekitten attack levels.  Too bad he never did it to Krile  :V  Roast and toast the sucker.

Faris taunts us with our rescue as she wasn't too please with being stuck in fancypants (fancydress?) sry

I've played enough JRPGs to think otherwise Krile.
With +1 Princess we venture onward, and run into our old buddy Ghido's Cave!  Somehow not sunken!

Plot exposition and sass, what more can a girl ask for?  Turns out World 1 + World 2 = World 3 both mathematically and literally :o
(I guess we could call it World 0 but where's the fun in that)

oops

Exdeath is somehow twirling his mustache evilly right now I'm sure.
Did I mention I forgot to unequip Lenna?  Because I forgot to unequip Lenna and she has all my good Dragoon gear whoops.

Anatomy class throwback count: 2

Another tussle ensues, but I somehow don't think he's going to beat the final boss for us :(
Well enough of that, once we leave the cave Ghido spots something super exciting.... a library!

OF COURSE THAT'S WHY THE SCHOLARS LOOKED LIKE TURTLES

Oh Ghido never change.  But now we know what we're after, and the first stop is the Pyramid!

These chuckleheads can give a party some issues since they'll revive each other over and over if they don't get aced in quick succession.  !RapidFire Break Blade puts a stop to that mighty fast.  But before I head in, it's time to get one of the pieces of my end game murder train puzzle.

Chicken Knife, ho!  And unlike last year I can work around the flee effect - actually in multiple ways, but the most optimal is of course !RapidFire.

Anyway the Pyramid is still dumb and I run a lot (as I realize I never really took the time to max out the Chicken Knife oops) but when I do fight Break/Firaga Blade makes quick work of these undead punks.  Take note of the class choices - two years back I learned Dancer is just asking for trouble when I inevitably forget it has a 50/50 chance of hurting me in battle :fail:

I get the first of the Tablets of +3 Weapons and take the elevator out.

This somehow triggers more terraforming shenanigans, which is now highlighted under "special skills" on my resume at this point.

Lenna's come down with a nasty case of The Evils.

ok good I fixed it. 
Melusine does this thing where her weakness shifts every few turns but who's got time to change up Spell Blades not this crew. 

And after all that we have our airship back!  We could make a beeline for ~the rift~ but there's a few goodies I'm out to collect first.  Time to explore!

Gee thanks for the vote of confidence where do you get off saying stuff like tha-

...oh

HALLO????

I stop on by Mirage for All The Bling.  Other goodies I collect around now are the first (and only) three sealed weapons I'll be using this run: Holy Lance, Assassin Dagger, and Yoichi Bow.

Family portrait of all the randos I'm going to beat up between now and the end of the game (though fuck doing the undersea trench)  once I get some more goodies.  The Island Shrine is first on the order of operations, where's that?

What a suspicious shrine surrounded by mountains that we have no way to get to surely this will never become important to the story.
:o
Blah blah blah rock and roll some more gargoyles not much to show.  I completely forget to take screencaps inside, it's another slidey warp pipe thing to find treasure chests then the boss...

um excuse me also plus one Choco-hobo.

Meet Wendigo, which probably wins the award for the absolute dumbest boss battle in the game.  The gimmick here is only one of those yolos is the real one and able be damaged, and every time you hit the real one it'll shuffle about.  Assassin's Dagger works in that it doesn't accomplish anything real.  Just don't use AoE attacks (not that I even can :fail: though !RapidFire is ok) and you'll eventually win even through all the dumb Mind Blast castings. zzzzzz......

(note - I managed to wipe out on my way to the save point "WHY BOTHER HEALING IT'S LIKE RIGHT THERE?" and had to redo the fight gg report noob jungler)

Somehow this unlocks Fork Tower, which is my primary objective.
With another tablet in hand, I might as well grab some more toys.

That Holy Lance really puts the hurt on Exdeath ghosties in the Sealed Castle.  Careful observers will notice I switched up my classes again because....

Faris is gonna get a pretty pretty princess ribbon to go with that swanktastic Dragoon armor for the endgame  :3 because let's be real what other than jumping and item chucking will she be doing?

~*~~*~the economy~*~~*~

KRILE: OMEGA SMASHERTM
(in progress)

Fork Tower has been very (in)conveniently parks on top of Cid and Mid's Secret Stash.  I don't really have a "magic" team for the split but it doesn't really matter because I do have a fantastic answer to the jokers at the top.

I am told he actually uses the Time Magic STFU spell to make sure it's all fite all nite but I don't think I ever bothered to bring anything that would get locked out.  Well whatever just slice and dice and heal if needed.

WHOMP WHOMP
!Spellblade has spell in the name so it's totally magic, allowing me to stabbystabby in the face without him ragequitting and resetting the Nintendo.

We blow the towers up  (intentional destruction count: 2) and I score Flare and Holy as party favors.  Pretend there's screencaps of me getting the Magic Lamp and the Flare Ring out of the Undersea Trench before I nope'd out of there.

~*~AND THEN~*~

We're done for all but post-game prep, it's time to face our destiny.

:dragonforce:

Next time on Team I Hope 99 Mid Tonics Hi-Potions Are Enough I shall reprise my socking of Exdeath to the face and hopefully not getting splinters!  On stream even so you can all judge me when I die in a really dumb way!

triangles

« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »

Welcome back to Team Rift Walkers , as we start our final trek of punching 1000 year sealed demons in the face.  We proceed through an abbreviated desert and Ronka Ruins segment, running and/or Break Blading whatever punks dare challenge us, before reaching Mirage Village frozen in time.

Nobody can answer the door, but they left us some nice Halloween candy on the porch.

Next up is the void version of the Moore Forest which ugh I always hate the limited field of view.  The first of Exdeath's gang guards the exit.

We already fought one basically naked lady in a forest why not another one!  I don't believe any party should have trouble with her, she does some Reflect shenanigans but otherwise her only actual attack is a Drain spell which if you can't outdamage at this stage I think you probably cheat coded your way in this far.  Once that's done with, we take the path through the tree into a cave which has some pain in the butt encounters but is otherwise fairly unremarkable until...

wow what a cutie hello friend except by friend I mean murderbot.  My team is one of the better ones to send Omega to the junkyard, and while I didn't specifically prepare yet let's give him a shot.

Thundaga !RapidFire Chicken Knife is the only thing I've got that will do more than ticklekitten damage.  Krile was level 33 or 34, and you can see I would have to survive for 3 rounds of knifery to take Omega out.  This is a lot for a team with nothing in the way of mitigation or buffing abilities.

And even if I could throw up some shields or Chemist silliness or what have you, I still have to contend with RNG shenanigans like how Omega can abra-cadabra POOF whisk someone out of the battle entirely how rude.  The best chance for victory involves Krile getting a few more levels and I ain't got time for that now.  Let's press on!

At the end of the cave I crack open a book that's probably not going to be featured on Reading Rainbow any time soon.

Apanda is Byblos 2.0, this time I don't miss 50% of my attacks so that was pretty good.  He'd throw up Protect in response to an attack but that doesn't mean much in the face of the powerhouse that is Krile.

The ~dimensional switch~ allows us to walk out into the ruined tower part which is luckily pretty short and no bosses hooray.  As Reddyne noted, this is a pretty awesome place to restock Dragon Fangs for the final jaunt otherwise eh nothing to write home about (also I didn't take any screencaps oops)  The castle that follows on the other hand has a number of friends....

First up, parking his big ol' magic butt in one of the castle jail cells (which we actually WANT to enter for a change) is Senor Azulmagia.  I wish I had Blue Mage because you can do a really silly thing but alas, perhaps next Fiesta.  Instead I stick to what's been working, and that is housing scrubs with Flare Spellblade and jumping on their heads.

And what was hiding under Azulmagia's robe was none other than another save point!  There's some nastiness up ahead so it is in your best interest to snag it.

um excuse me r00d

Don't ask me why a tentacle eyeball can summon earthquakes but boy does that hurt.  My levels are I think on the lower side of average, so Earth Shaker easily one-shots everyone not sporting a shield.  I just rush the sucker and call in an optometrist to deal with the aftermath.  Mosey out of the dungeon and up to the throne room...

3 princesses vs. 1, I think we win but alas it's battle time.

Wannabe Flea over here starts the battle by casting froggie on us.  Keep him/her around long enough and you'll be getting a mouthful of Holy but I don't get to that point.  Did I mention that Flare Spellblade with Rapid Fire/Sword Dance is really silly?  Because it is.

Oh sweet I remember her this will be easy because she can be Break Blade'd when charging Gigaflare ezpz

Well crap I forgot about that.  I was just so excited that there was a small window I could instakill Twintania, I forgot that I actually had to survive long enough to see it.  This means it's probably in my best interest to not attack and eat Tidal Wave counters in the face, and charge Break Blade prior to her vulnerability window, all things I neglected leading to more game overs than I care to admit.

Good riddance. 

All aboard the SS Wobble-Warp!

Welcome to the last stop before Voidville.  Look who's here!

Friend??

:V  Gilgy realizes he doesn't want to tussle and we catch up a bit.

o/ bye friend!
At this point I just run from what encounters I can, Breakblade/Jump onto what I can't.  Home stretch!  Don't got time to deal with any other jokers! (plus they hit hard and I'm already job mastered on everything I need)  I make sure to skip the Shinryu chest because whoadang am I not ready for that just yet.

This my friends is the grand finale save point and I most certainly want it.

I just have one (ok, four) small problems first.  Until I take out the little barrier bugs, I can't touch Necrophobe even though Rapid Fire sure wants to try.

The barriers will reflect-bounce some nasty spells, single and multi-target, onto my party which really hurt.  They don't have a lot of HP, but they like attacking all at once and that's not cool guys :( 

uh oh he mad bro

But looks like SOMEBODY'S got a weakness to Holy  :V

HALLO AGAIN FRIEND  :3

This is so shounen I can see the flame aura surrounding him.

And thus also goes out in a blaze of glory.

;_;
o7

The only thing left in our way, is Exdeath himself.  We're almost there kids.  Just one more writeup to go!

Reddyne

« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
Join us again for the concluding adventures of Team RNG ILU BB UR GR8.
Seriously the rest was pretty mesmerizing.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2015, 05:31:29 AM »
I did it. I saved the world. :V

Shoutouts to !Mix, Hastega, Aeroga and Air Knives. However, I don't think I have the patience to play with Shinryu and Omega this year. I'd like to take a break from RPGs for a bit before looking at FFV again. Despite that, this was quite fun.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2015, 04:24:30 AM »
Managed three runs this year, my last victory performed last night.

Also, a recording of the final battle was done. There were a couple of questionable choices in my strategy, but in the end you get to see just what happens to Neo Exdeath with a team that has a Summoner and a Chemist. Shoulda hiked up Lenna's level just a little more so she'd be doing 9k damage with each Leviathan, but I wound up not needing to. Oh well! BV
Did you bring a light?
...No...

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
Hi there, I've been gone for so long now, and just picked up the pace.

I have come out from the pyramid, gone through Island Shrine, Fork Tower (Minotaur was tough), Great Sea Trench (Tango Selfdestruct LOL), and Istory Falls, but didn't fight Leviathan.

I have gone through the rift, and I'm now stuck at the final stretch. I need some tips for survival, as it seems I can't win against Neo Exdeath, Almagest is guaranteed to party wipe me except a fully healed Monk.

My party is:
Barehanded Dancer
Ribboned Time Mage
Rapid Firing Ranger
Dancing Monk

Thank you.

Reddyne

« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »
Hi there, I've been gone for so long now, and just picked up the pace.

I have come out from the pyramid, gone through Island Shrine, Fork Tower (Minotaur was tough), Great Sea Trench (Tango Selfdestruct LOL), and Istory Falls, but didn't fight Leviathan.

I have gone through the rift, and I'm now stuck at the final stretch. I need some tips for survival, as it seems I can't win against Neo Exdeath, Almagest is guaranteed to party wipe me except a fully healed Monk.

My party is:
Barehanded Dancer
Ribboned Time Mage
Rapid Firing Ranger
Dancing Monk

Thank you.
Team RNG: The ReveNGe.

Considering how little you've got in the way of healing, a bum-rush strategy might be best. Tossing elixirs around and hoping that people survive gets painful quickly and often results in trouble.

If possible, use the magic lamp to summon Odin and have him take out the back piece ASAP. It'll take all of one character's turn and will mean that you're focusing less on other parts. If not, hopefully you have a bow with a chance of a death proc. So long as you can one-shot it, target the bottom right part (which is actually hard to target) since killing that part will stop Almagest.

I'm not sure what kind of damage you're doing, but here's my thoughts on the 1-2 punch of the dancing monk/monking dancer combo:

The dancing monk has the benefit of equipping the Kaiser Knuckles which you probably got from the deep sea trench. Hopefully the RNG works in your favor and Sword Dance activates. I wonder if they could equip anything that boosts Sword Dance activation?

The monking dancer has the benefit of equipping the Rainbow Dress which you probably got from the castle part of ~*~THE VOID~*~. This will help the RNG work in your favor for Sword Dance but I'm not sure how the damage would work out. It may be best to just equip them with the chicken knife and leave that ability slot for something else. Namely, time magic for Quick.

Sword Dance does x4 damage. The Rainbow Dress will boost activation of it by x2. This gives favor to the dancer so long as the monk's Kaiser Knuckle doesn't double the damage output.

The chicken knife could be swapped onto the ranger once the back piece is gone, or just use the Yoichi Bow. Simply use normal attacks on that bottom right piece and hope they don't try to escape instead. Some math crunching shows that the numbers favor using the direct regular attacks to start.

Have the time mage use Hastega and then spam Quick on your most reliable damage dealer. The ribbon on the time mage is actually a pretty sound strategy since both Exdeath and Neo Exdeath can hit you with negative statuses and whoever has Quick will be able to help the party the most. In short, this character is your support buddy when not spamming Quick.

Once the Almagest piece is done, split attacking between the remaining two parts. It might take some head-bashing and the RNG being in your favor, but I think it can work? Some people might be able to add more to it.

jester147

« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
Thank you for the tip.

I HAVE NOW COMPLETED THE RUN! YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The party is still the same, except some changes:
HP Boosted Dancer with Chicken Knife
Ribboned Ranger

The Dancer ended up getting 9999 damage in every Sword Dance, fastening the killing process. But it took a few tries, why?
In one run EVERY DANCE ON THE ALMAGEST ENDS UP BEING MYSTERY WALTZES ARGH!
The Time Mage is equipped with every Magic Boosting equipment, so they have the highest magic. When Neo Exdeath shows up the mage starts with Quick and summons Bahamut and Leviathan for ~5000 damage on everything, followed up by someone summoning Odin to take care of the back. Next is focusing the Almagest, if I am so lucky I can beat it before it casts Almagest, but it got casted anyway, leaving my Monk in 2 digits, with some time to revive the Time Mage and then Quick supporting the others. From there it's manageable.

I have a question, DOES GRAND CROSS BYPASSES RIBBONS? BECAUSE I THINK I GET STATUSED EVEN IF I RIBBONED THE CHARACTERS. HOW?

But nevermind, I'm done anyway, next would be only Shinryu, since Omega is too hard to handle.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2015, 05:55:20 PM »
Congrats! And, yeah, Grand Cross will apply statuses even if you have a Ribbon, as the only actual statuses it prevents are:

Instant KO's, Petrify, Toad, Poison, Blind, Old, Berserk, Silence.
Which means stuff like Slow, Stop, Confuse, Mini, and some other things can get through your defenses - any Sword Dance Up equipment will prevent Confuse and Hermes Sandals laugh at Slow, Stop, and Paralysis... but Zombie, sending you to critical hp and Mini (especially the first of those) can still happen and ruin your day, especially if Grand Cross really feels like rolling the worst one(s).
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Reddyne

« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
 :toot:  :toot:  :toot:

jester147

« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
Hey, if any of you happened to read this, I'll stream for the Bonus Boss attempt.

http://www.twitch.tv/jester147

EDIT:

SHINRYU DEFEATED! YAY FOR RNG!

Only Omega left, which I will need some strategy, or is it impossible with my party?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:06:40 PM by jester147 »

triangles

« Reply #320 on: September 01, 2015, 01:23:24 AM »
Today's the last day of the Fiesta, so what better way to celebrate than my final wrap up?
No of course I hadn't been working on this on and off for a week, lost my work at one point, and never bothered to blitz through and post what are you talking about?

Team ALL FITE ALL NITE gets ready to tango with the tree.  My sister pointed out that this reminds her of Pocahontas' tree grandma which now I'm never going to unsee. Here's a video of the Exdeadening but for those who prefer the screenshots and/or don't want to have to put up with my yapping keep on scrolling down....

Exhibit A) Exdeath Exterminator Move the First

Exhibit B) Exdeath Exterminator Move the Second
Exdeath was a bit of a scrub.  Sure he can and did one shot me with 80% of what he threw my way, but he didn't last long in the face of Rapid Fire and back to back Sword Dance crits.

gg

oh wait

First order of business is to take out the bottom-right dopey sheepy-looking thing, which is the punk responsible for Almagest, I flat out didn't have the HP to survive a hit but that's ok because I knew I could get cheeky with lower levels because I have ~BREAK BLADE~ good riddance.  Meanwhile, that dragon unicorn looking buttface is such a rebel and don't need no laws.

Welcome to Grand Cross, which can throw basically any status ailment at me.  Roll d20, see if you lose.  I gave Faris Equip Ribbon so half my team got to be pretty pretty fashionable princesses (and a chocohobo) which definitely helped.

The human/skeleton bit is basically KING OF THE WIZARDS and is in charge of all the spells in the face to one-shot me.  Note how even with the ribbon, Faris still gets to be a little  :3  I kept her as such for the rest of the battle for the increase in evasion.

2spooky skelewizard is usually taken out in the Fiesta by a Magic Lamp Odin summon and I'm not about to get cheeky and do something novel with a team with no buffing/healing abilities outside of elixirs.

I may or may not have dun goofd a bit and knocked out one of the remaining parts sooner than I hoped with less friends around than would be preferable...

...but that last segment had less than 10k HP left so one round of !RapidFire was enough to secure victory!
:toot:

Whoa buddy let's not get too complacent, we still have two more tussles ahead of us.

Next up is Omega.  Mystic Knight/Ranger is one of the premiere class combos for taking it out, and it's possible to do so in just three actions from your OMeGa MVP.  The trick is of course surviving that many rounds.  Here's the video, as you might imagine a successful attempt is rather short. 

Those keeping track at home will see that Krile is popping out significantly higher damage than the last update.  I  kept a save from earlier in the rift, where I could level her up a bit and played around with her equipment to maximize strength and agility (which the Chicken Knife scales off of.)  Omega's defense/evade stats are too damn high to realistically depend on any of my other buds to put the hurt on, but its lightning weakness makes having Spellblade hilarious.

THE PROBLEM IS this triggers buckets of counterattacks, which is why I wanted to minimize how many actions I'd need.  One of those counterattacks is Encircle, which is where I get robot'd so hard in the face someone in my party forgets how to battle and disappears off the field.  This happening to Krile is bad.  The "best" case is plain ol' Rocket Punch where I just take percent damage and get confused and oops Krile already smacked herself to death and now Faris is gonna bite it too ruh-roh.

Angel babby to the rescue!

Chicken Knife doing a set amount of damage does eliminate one potential avenue of RNG heartbreak.  Victory is guarenteed at this point.

:toot:

The battle is not difficult, it's really just luck.  Does someone eat an insta-death attack right from the start?  Do I get a full party wipe because I can't do anything against Earthquake?  Am I even still on the screen? ???  These are all the RNG shenanigans one must deal with, and it really is pure luck I did it on my first attempt on stream.  My test battles to see when Krile would be able to pump out enough damage?  Hahahaha those were something alright :fail:

AND NOW FOR THE REAL FUN  :V :V :V :V :V :V :V :V :V

I needed to prep another save file, this time where I made enough dosh to afford 3 Coral Rings, and going back to these chuckleheads to Thief Knife me a Dragon Lance.  My most flagrant abuse of save states well tough cookies I regret nothing.

I also had to make sure my levels were such that I wasn't going to get roflstomped by Level 2 Old/Level 3 Flare - Krile was Level 40 for the Omega Outing (Faris was her accountabilibuddy while I was getting her up to speed which is why she's higher than the others)

Dragoon is kind of a one trick pony, but that one trick is pretty handy for Shinryu! 

sup kids what'd I miss?

Not only does Faris literally skip over Tidal Wave she does a redorkulous amount of damage on her return!

Also sporting the Aegis Shield had its perks....

...because you get to dodge that nastiness RIP in pieces everyone else :(

She's not invincible however  :ohdear:

Omega and Shinryu have about the same  HP but I couldn't exploit a weakness for Rapid Fire silliness like last time, leading to longer battles and therefore more chances to get completely and unavoidably trashed.  When you can't Blink/Berserk cheeseball it's kill or be killed and I am really really good at the latter.

After about half a dozen wipes or so, I switch Faris to Bone Mail.  A number of Shinryu's tricks are negated with that in conjunction with the Ribbon and being in the air half the time, and in my testing runs I did not stream Bone Mail was instrumental to extending the fight.

Roulette, Poison Breath and a few times in my trials I even saw Zombie Time were all things Faris got to laugh off.

Of course a giant smack to the face, not so much.

BUT THEN FINALLY....!
WATCH AND BEHOLD BEING RNG BLESSED

Lenna got many crits in a row...

Swords were Danced...

...and victory was had :toot:

"so let's put this really baller sword that'd be good at murdering intergalactic demon dragons in a box guarded by an intergalactic demon dragon also let's make absolutely no indication that we're hiding an intergalactic demon dragon in here instead of a hi-potion"
"sounds good to me"

With the game thoroughly conquered, let's take a looksee at this year's line up...

This is my 3rd year of Fiesta-ing, and Mystic Knight was the first time I got to use classic elemental damage in the form of !Spellblade.  Suck it, Soul Cannon.  She really shined on bosses with elemental and status weaknesses, though was fairly ho-hum in random encounters before BREAK BLADE.  BREAK BLADE allowed for the roflstomping of many many things, nevermind Flare Sword absolutely shredding bosses, and oh yeah I also could throw Drain on there it's just nutso.  If I had to give out such an award, Mystic Knight Krile would most certainly win OMG 4JF MVP but thanks largely in part from....

Rolling Ranger next was pretty much a slam dunk in conjunction with Mystic Knight.  They're the peanut butter and murder jelly sandwich of FF5, and even outside of Fiesta rules the premiere Omega busting combo.  But even without the obvious synergy Ranger definitely pulled her own weight.  !Animals was fairly useful in World 1 and gave me a (somewhat reliable) manner of healing along with BEES.  Access to the Killer Bow was key to beating the Seal Guardians quadruple so when paired with the shining star of the class, !RapidFire.  It is such a good skill I got it on two of my party members by the end game.

Yup, totally worth it.

Dragoon is often considered as the dud roll of the Earth Crystal, and I can see why.  As mentioned earlier she's a one trick pony that can reenact my favorite Skyrim glitch and launch into the air, where the heavy armor and ability to take hits for her comrades is not as well utilized.  !Lance was all but useless for a mage-free team and unfortunately lances were not compatible with Mystic Knight shenanigans much to my dismay.  There really wasn't much to do for useful multi-classing for the most part than backup ??healing?? with !Animals.  Dragoon was instrumental in taking out Shinryu in a reasonable timeframe thanks to the Dragon Lance (which was not easy to get) and in the end game she got to be a Ribbon-resist tank thanks to...

So we meet again, Dancer Bartz.  Two years ago crossing my fingers for Chicken Knife Sword !Dance was the most reliable damage I had.  This year I had a much more worthy wielder in my !RapidFire Mystic Knight - even though it still had an element of randomness, it was not nearly the same level of battle despair as rolling 4 Mystery Waltzes in a row.  Using !Spellblade in conjunction with Sword Dance was pretty sweet don't get me wrong and even without the Chicken Knife getting a Flame-empowered crit did hit for 9999 on Exdeath phase 1... but you need to win that coin toss to get the Sword Dance.  Needing to be plopped in the front row (unlike Ranger) without the ability to wear anything resembling armor (unlike Mystic Knight and Dragoon) plus one of the lowest HP totals in the game leads to a glass cannon who gets outcannoned by a tank :fail: At least he will forever be the most ~*~fashionable~*~

All in all I was satisfied with my lineup.  It was kind of downhill after the first two class reveals but it could have been a far dicier trek to save the world and hey I can't complain with a triple crown team for the third year running.  It was the first year I didn't have too much in the way of healing and nothing in the battle buff department, which wasn't quite as big a problem as I would have originally feared.  The hardest battle hands down was World 2 Exdeath ugh but I kinda knew going in that was going to be the case (honorable mention to Dragon Pod because I really didn't have any good answers to that jerk other than crossing my fingers and slogging through)  I'll most certainly be doing ~chaos mode~ again and seeing what emerges.

It's been fun kids, see you all next year~