Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 808088 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mahFjmdEB_Y&feature=youtu.be

I've been liking this spellcard since HM

and they made it even stronger in ULiL

env_check are you kidding me

why the fuck are they doubling down on this?

Oh, so 1.03 has been released.

So... what were the changes? Was it only bugfixes again? I tried to check the changelog with Google Translate and I'm getting worse results than I thought I would.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Sumireko's basic melee hitboxes are DEFINITELY bigger. Her hip smack has actual normal, usable range now! It's a miracle.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

env_check are you kidding me

why the fuck are they doubling down on this?
I literally got a virus warning for env_check when I ran the updater. That... thing really is no good.

Sumireko's basic melee hitboxes are DEFINITELY bigger. Her hip smack has actual normal, usable range now! It's a miracle.

YES! Absolute yes. I can finally hit melees now without standing right in front of my sandsack of choice.

I literally got a virus warning for env_check when I ran the updater. That... thing really is no good.
At least you didn't get a virus warning for the updater itself.

That aside, I finally got the game in the mail today (thanks N-Forza!), and it's actually pretty fun. The playstyle was a bit difficult to grasp at first, but now it doesn't seem as daunting as when I played the demo version. As someone who has only seen videos and reviews of the previous fighters I'm in no position to make serious comparisons, but I can safely say that ULiL is an excellent game. The artwork and musical score are done very well, and the product as a whole gives a sense of professionalism. The only wish I have regarding the game is that Tasofro releases an expansion pack to this as their next product a la Hisoutensoku.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
So here's a thing I found with Koishi right before 1.03 happened.

Basically, in 1.02b at least, there was an odd quirk that the opponent can't dash or jump out of meaty projectiles if they are recovering from a regular wallslam (or at least, it was a quirk for Nitori's 5aa6a 2c). When I made this video I didn't know about this until now, however I was told this so this might actually be a thing.

Fortunately this doesn't work anymore as the patch nerfed guard crushes. Opponents that were recently crushed will get a temporary extra hex, and spell cards will only do half as much hex damage if it isn't at full/double power. Also the wallslam recovery glitch was fixed :V
So before I updated the game I confirmed that this was indeed an infinite and the wallslam recovery was a thing in 1.02b. Thankfully it's been removed so don't worry guys :V

Can someone please translate endings? Stories feel so incomplete without them(

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Can someone please translate endings? Stories feel so incomplete without them.
This, so much. Sumireko seems like an extremely interesting character and I really would like to know her personality inside-out already. I'm starting to worry that people refuse to translate the endings because the ones with Mokou and Sumireko could attract "yurifaggots", as /jp/ defines them  :ohdear:.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:45:22 PM by Critz »

UTW

This, so much. Sumireko seems like an extremely interesting character and I really would like to know her personality inside-out already. I'm starting to worry that people refuse to translate the endings because the ones with Mokou and Sumireko could attract "yurifaggots", as /jp/ defines them  :ohdear:.

That's not the reason, the community is simply averse to posting endings translated or not because of ZUN's old request not to do so. There used to be an endings wiki at wikkii.com I believe but it's dead now. Besides that, ULiL translation seems to be stalled (based on the wiki).

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
I thought that it was deliberate, considering the rest of the story being long since translated. And outright refusing to post endings instead of properly spoilertagging them to avoid people accidentally spoiling themselves (as was likely ZUN's intention) hurts the part of fandom that's interested in canon badly.

That's not the reason, the community is simply averse to posting endings translated or not because of ZUN's old request not to do so. There used to be an endings wiki at wikkii.com I believe but it's dead now. Besides that, ULiL translation seems to be stalled (based on the wiki).

What about the versus scripts? Only Reimu, Marisa and Kasen have their scripts translated
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

The actual text itself is probably a no-no, but I can post some summaries of the endings in a bit if people want to know what happens?

What about the versus scripts? Only Reimu, Marisa and Kasen have their scripts translated
I recently found all the versus text posted on Radical Discovery (http://radical-d.extrem.ne.jp/toho/serihu/sinpi00.htm), so I'll get to adding that to the wiki soonish. Some of it's more interesting than I expected!

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
The actual text itself is probably a no-no, but I can post some summaries of the endings in a bit if people want to know what happens?
That's certainly better than nothing, even if a summary doesn't hold value in a canon dispute as opposed to the actual text (as it's colored by interpretation and in the worst cases can become or cause headcanon).

That doesn't make the idea of not translating the endings any less flawed though - summarizing the endings is not any less of a spoiler than the text itself and even if you really  want to hold to the idea that a spoiler warning is not enough for an intelligent reader to avoid being spoiled and that taking care of their enjoyment from getting to the endings for them takes priority over providing canon material for disputes, the point is still moot as even finishing all the story modes as intended won't let a foreigner enjoy the endings. A stellar example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater caused by what I perceive as misunderstanding of ZUN's intentions, as he certainly didn't take foreigners into account when he made that statement - and current games are made for them, among other fans. To add insult to injury, the english patch will be released long after LoLK's full version, which will additionally impair the western fans' understanding of the story of LoLK  as well, as the storylines of both games are connected.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:13:28 PM by Critz »

the english patch will be released long after LoLK's full version, which will additionally impair the western fans' understanding of the story of LoLK  as well, as the storylines of both games are connected.
Is it possible to translate the text in-memory without modifying game data? Something similar to thcrap? I've been using a debugging tool to capture text from the game and send them to online translation services, and something tells me there's a way to intercept and modify text generated by the game during run-time.

One of the reasons the patch will be delayed is probably because the game is still being updated, and updates usually break patches. However, it's unlikely that updates change the text (menus, story, etc...). What I have in mind is a simple search-and-replace table containing original Japanese text and their English equivalents. I haven't tried implementing any of this, but from what it seems it shouldn't be that hard to do. There's no decryption or disassembly needed, which should stay on the legal side in terms of unauthorized modifications and such.

Ending summariiiiies! Getcher' ending summaries here.

Posting them directly in the thread would take up way too much space, so, Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/5HGbu2PK

(Also please don't hesitate to correct me if I got any details wrong)

Thanks a lot! They are even more interesting then I thought)

PK

• Border of Whatever
This is hella interesting, thank you!

Also, Ichirin's script:

Ichirin:
"Turbo Granny"...?
"Granny"? Pfft, heh heh.

Hag jokes are official now :V

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Well, thank you very much. I was kind of interested in how Sumireko would
Spoiler:
beg for being untied and released back to the Outside World
, and her words to Mokou, but I suppose this will have to do.

Interrresting. I think that vs scripts imply that Sunireko, when she visits Gensokyo while asleep, is almost comletly there, able to fight and be harmed.

Well, thank you very much. I was kind of interested in how Sumireko would
Spoiler:
beg for being untied and released back to the Outside World
, and her words to Mokou, but I suppose this will have to do.

Sumireko hardly has any dialog in that scene.
Spoiler:
She just cries while everyone else talks about what to do with her.

I have found a new glitch in this version. It's a minor one but it's there:

When the characters finish the fight introductions the player can move around a bit.

Tested with Kokoro, Sumeriko, Miko.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
When the characters finish the fight introductions the player can move around a bit.
In the earlier TH fighters this was a feature, so there's a good chance it's on purpose.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
I have found a new glitch in this version. It's a minor one but it's there:

Tested with Kokoro, Sumeriko, Miko.
Tasofro released 1.03b and took that away. It was indeed a minor glitch but a cool one at that.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Some numbers, courtesy of Nanashi and his Tenco online record-keeping system.

The recent statistics of ULiL:

No. of Accounts: 535
Total no. of player-character pairs: 929
No. of game outcomes: 25420
No. of reported games (for reference only): 74479

Table headers: Character / No. of players / No. of games / Victory rate

Here's the ratio of daily average games played on weekends to daily average games played on workdays over the years, showing the Touhou fighting games' playerbase - or at very least, the userbase of Tenco - maturing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:44:35 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Okay, 1.03b changed something in env_check and now Avira's flagging it as a virus. Jeez Tasofro, I like you, I really do, but what the shit? lol

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast

How do we read this one :o ?

Year and... 1.27 ? 27 games on weekend?

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
How do we read this one :o ?

Year and... 1.27 ? 27 games on weekend?
Probably for every game played on a working day, there were 27 on the weekend.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Probably for every game played on a working day, there were 27 on the weekend.
For every game played on a week day, there were 1.27 games played on Saturday or Sunday. Unless I also read it wrong lol.

The general trend of the ratio is to increase over the years, especially since 2011. This indicates a larger portion of the players have become working adults who are more likely to play during weekends. It also likely means the influx of young, school or college age players has slowed down.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter