Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 808072 times)

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
Unrelated, but I found a neat trick.
Apparently, Byakuren can activate her Mahavairocana counter without being attacked by the opponent. Just throw a Vajra bullet, and try to catch it while you prepare the counter. The bounced Vajra actually counts as a hit, which activates the SC counter. This is certainly exploitable. Probably gonna use it more now.
Here's a video of a guy who shows how it's done.

I did this in practice mode, but I only got to far 1 or 2 prongs.
Around 5.3k Damage for one, and 5.5 Damage for 2.
I don't get how the uploader got to fire 3 prongs...

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

I did this in practice mode, but I only got to far 1 or 2 prongs.
Around 5.3k Damage for one, and 5.5 Damage for 2.
I don't get how the uploader got to fire 3 prongs...

...catch 2 vajras prior to throwing them again?

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
So basically, the reason for the roster is this: it's too much work to create new characters for a small-scaled company that has to release the game in a rather short amount of time.

Right?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
So basically, the reason for the roster is this: it's too much work to create new characters for a small-scaled company that has to release the game in a rather short amount of time.

Right?
It seems the most likely reason to me, yes.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

game2011

• magneiptVE
It seems the most likely reason to me, yes.
Gotta deal with it and wait for the possible expansion pack, then.

Right?

Did you ignore my post? 4 new characters is the ~average~ number of new characters for a ~2D fighting game sequel~, ~regardless of the size of the company~. You've been doing little more than complain about new characters for months and it's starting to get annoying.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:10:07 PM by Not Bigode »

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
So after messing around with Miko trying to figure out combos, there's one thing regarding the cape I don't understand. What determines the direction Miko throws the opponent? It doesn't seem like I can control it, is that up to the enemy as well? There have been times ( mainly near the edge ) where I follow up with a spellcard cancel -> laser, but miss because it throws them against the nearby wall, and then vice-versa when I try to use close range as a follow up but it throws them against the far wall and I miss the chance to use a laser.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

game2011

• magneiptVE
You've been doing little more than complain about new characters for months and it's starting to get annoying.
Better than Sakurei complaining about the death of the series, at least.

If my complains annoy you, then you should seriously stay away from gaming forums such as GameFaqs.  My complains are very tame compared to the death threats to developers, threats of boycotting, lengthy rants, angry shouting, etc. you find in those sites.  I usually don't express my complaints to other people.  I really only do so if it's something that really annoys or disappoints me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:46:39 PM by game2011 »

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Better than Sakurei complaining about the death of the series, at least.
what

game2011

• magneiptVE
what
The last good Touhou game to her is apparently 12.8.  She's been saying negative things about the series ever since, as you can see in 14.3 and 15's threads.

So after messing around with Miko trying to figure out combos, there's one thing regarding the cape I don't understand. What determines the direction Miko throws the opponent? It doesn't seem like I can control it, is that up to the enemy as well? There have been times ( mainly near the edge ) where I follow up with a spellcard cancel -> laser, but miss because it throws them against the nearby wall, and then vice-versa when I try to use close range as a follow up but it throws them against the far wall and I miss the chance to use a laser.
Bassically the direction Miko throws the enemy is the oposite direction of the colour of the cape, here is an example:

http://postimg.org/image/864d1qxl9/

Here you can see the way the colours of the cape are facing

http://postimg.org/image/ov5sxnu6l/

Miko chose Blue

http://postimg.org/image/bi2nv1pcd/

Miko chose Red

The capes basically go the opposite direction they are facing
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
Huh, I guess I really didn't notice that. Kinda feel silly now, haha.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
The last good Touhou game to her is apparently 12.8.  She's been saying negative things about the series ever since, as you can see in 14.3 and 15's threads.
Oh I misread it as Sakurai so I was totally confused at first. Now I remember her.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
If my complains annoy you, then you should seriously stay away from gaming forums such as GameFaqs.  My complains are very tame compared to the death threats to developers, threats of boycotting, lengthy rants, angry shouting, etc. you find in those sites.

But we're not on GameFAQs, we're on MotK. If you're this annoyed to the point where other folks are telling you to cool it, maybe step away from the thread for a while. Everyone will feel better.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

What? That's not at all the reason she gave as to why the Yashiki-Warashi's are there.
THIS is exactly why they are there. As Yukari herself says on page 19:
That comment about filling youkai stomachs most likely refers to humans from the outside world, considering that Yukari then mentions that the Yashiki-Warashis being called on the Outside takes precedence over their jobs of watching the village. Kasen muses on that and seems to be on track to figure out what exactly Yukari is going for, but then Yukari stops her and says the "getting enough food to fill the stomachs of its youkai from somewhere" line.

Nowhere in this is implied that the humans from the village are possible targets as a food source.

Oh.
Oops, guess i was getting that line mixed up with another one she said. And i misunderstanded the "enough food to fill blah blah blah" line as well.
That said, i still do think that Yukari kind of lied a little to Kasen when she implied that the humans where only there for the Youkai.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Oh.
Oops, guess i was getting that line mixed up with another one she said. And i misunderstanded the "enough food to fill blah blah blah" line as well.
That said, i still do think that Yukari kind of lied a little to Kasen when she implied that the humans where only there for the Youkai.

TH14.5 left me convinced that once you land in Gensokyo, if you are not strong enough to survive the youkais, you are dead.  End of story.  It does not matter whether it's human from outside world with no talents, or humans from Gensokyo village who's stupid enough to roam around the night.

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
...catch 2 vajras prior to throwing them again?

Well that works~
Didn't know you could catch 'em...

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

game2011

• magneiptVE
Did you ignore my post? 4 new characters is the ~average~ number of new characters for a ~2D fighting game sequel~, ~regardless of the size of the company~. You've been doing little more than complain about new characters for months and it's starting to get annoying.
To answer your question: I think I have or maybe not, but whatever the case is, you didn't say why they only make a few characters for 2D games.  Yes, I know high quality sprites are harder and more time consuming to make than 3D models, but it's not like its impossible to create a lot if one is given a lot of time.  There is no golden rule saying that one can only create a limited amount of new characters per game for sequels using the same engine after all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:42:08 AM by game2011 »

I feel like some of the current urban legends can fit well with some other characters.  For example, Aya goes well with the Turbo Granny one, since speed is her thing.  Sekibanki goes well with the red and blue toilet papers one, since that one involves head-related fatalities, and she's all about "losing her head." Her cape is even red and blue.  Hasshaku can go along with Sanae, since it involves buses, and being from the outside world...  Yeah...

Don't get why Ichirin's UL is Hasshaku and also Marisa's UL, though...

It fits the characters in Urban Legend in Limbo.
You can't argue that Byakuren doesn't fit Turbo Granny.
You also can't argue that Sekibanki fits better than Miko, since Red/Blue is Miko's thing in Hopeless Masquerade. There are other characters with red/blue deal, like Chen, but Miko is previously playable and is the most obvious.
Spoiler:
Ichirin's thing is that she's big, and thus the 8 foot lady legend. She even has a big vs small thing going with Shinmyomaru.

Marisa is the one with a somewhat random urban legend, which fits Sanae more, but Marisa is relevant to the story.

Some like Byakuren becoming a mouse, Koishi becoming a cat, and Futo becoming a chicken are pretty random.

Futo being a chicken is not all that random. She has a thing with overreacting with her fears. She burns temples to the ground because she fears them.

Yes, I know high quality sprites are harder and more time consuming to make than 3D models, but it's not like its impossible to create a lot if one is given a lot of time.  There is no golden rule saying that one can only create a limited amount of new characters per game for sequels using the same engine after all.

And what makes you think time is something the creators have?
In either case, the legends themselves make as much sense for these Touhou characters as for other Touhou characters. It isn't like the other Touhou characters somehow have a stake in the urban legends.

It is also ridiculous to believe the characters wouldn't be re-used. That doesn't make any sense.

TH14.5 left me convinced that once you land in Gensokyo, if you are not strong enough to survive the youkais, you are dead.  End of story.  It does not matter whether it's human from outside world with no talents, or humans from Gensokyo village who's stupid enough to roam around the night.

Akyu says in the Outsider article in PMiSS that most outsiders in Gensokyo are basically sitting ducks, and in the Hakurei Shrine article she says it generally takes luck for them to reach the Hakurei Shrine  (where they can then escape) without being eaten.

Pretty sure those from the Gensokyo village are marginally safe even when roaming around at night though (but it'd still be stupid of them to do that).

game2011

• magneiptVE
It is also ridiculous to believe the characters wouldn't be re-used. That doesn't make any sense.
I don't think I ever said that.

Drake

whatever the case is, you didn't say why they only make a few characters for 2D games.
Because they've deemed some number of characters as reasonable to make for a certain project scope and deadline, and it's deemed unreasonable to go for any more. It's literally that simple.

Yes, I know high quality sprites are harder and more time consuming to make than 3D models, but it's not like its impossible to create a lot if one is given a lot of time.  There is no golden rule saying that one can only create a limited amount of new characters per game for sequels using the same engine after all.
"Yes I know characters are hard to make, but they can, so why don't they make twenty new characters? I don't get it"

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Rewinding back to the earlier fighting games to recall some memories: People have been complaining/whining about wanting Mokou to appear in the fighting games. She appears.  >> "Why is the character roster so small"

We're terribly sorry that Tasofro didn't create all 100+ Touhou characters for your fighting game pleasures. I will go personally scold them now for this.

game2011

• magneiptVE
Because they've deemed some number of characters as reasonable to make for a certain project scope and deadline, and it's deemed unreasonable to go for any more. It's literally that simple.
"Yes I know characters are hard to make, but they can, so why don't they make twenty new characters? I don't get it"
And it's like I said before: time is one issue.

If they were, like, given an entire year or two to make the game, I'm sure there will be more than just 4 new characters.  Not necessarily 10, mind you.

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
They probably have an expansion on mind coming in a year or something, and thus some of the works would be reserved until then.
Maybe

Also, with your logic they took 4 years to make HM (and created 9 + 1 undone character from that).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:23:20 AM by FearNagae »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
And it's like I said before: time is one issue.

If they were, like, given an entire year or two to make the game, I'm sure there will be more than just 4 new characters.  Not necessarily 10, mind you.
I don't understand your tenacity for outputting a tunnel-vision mindset regarding the character roster.

You tell me, why would they take 2 years to make the game, just to increase the character roster? What added value would that contribute to you (since obviously this is your own greedy opinion) or the game itself?

hind

• smt elitist
  • huh?
    • you'll find everything here
Ehhh... I read through the pages of the forum, so I apologize in advance if I didn't notice someone asking this but... what's up with the .exe file not responding when clicked on? I've tried everything, from the patch to making sure DirectX is up to date. At the moment I'm updating Nvidia, though I'm sure that's not the problem. A lot of people have been having this problem, has anyone found a fix for it? :o
:D

Over at Touhou wiki, translation for every single story mode has been completed, all that's left is basically the versus mode scripts.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Urban_Legend_in_Limbo/Translation
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

PK

• Border of Whatever
Ehhh... I read through the pages of the forum, so I apologize in advance if I didn't notice someone asking this but... what's up with the .exe file not responding when clicked on? I've tried everything, from the patch to making sure DirectX is up to date. At the moment I'm updating Nvidia, though I'm sure that's not the problem. A lot of people have been having this problem, has anyone found a fix for it? :o
The problem for me was AVG. I fixed the issue by disabling it temporarily, so you could try to launch the game after disabling the antivirus (I've also tried to make an exception for ULiL, but that din't work)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
game2011, before you respond, check your personal messages please.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."