Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 808062 times)

I got some real stories about the translations for SWR/Soku. There's real reasons they took awhile, and not just because I absolutely hated working on them, because the hacking was finished long before the TL itself was 'cause I wanted to get them over with and move on.

I had actually done preliminary work on Hopeless before deciding that I did not want to go through that for a game I wasn't interested in yet again.

Outside of the big official ones, mostly my choice of games to work on was very much "This is cool, I want more people to play this." see also Maristice. Disappointed I never got to push out a Daiundousai translation...

Komeiji11

• The Gloomy Power of Love
Looking at it again, the new demo also changes how occult spell cards work in story too. Before you had to touch the orb to fill the meter around it like you would chasing it around. Now you just have to touch it enough to reduce the meter at the top of the screen to 0.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
I remember reading your readme on the tools for SWR and Soku. I could feel the agony in those words and can only imagine how difficult it was to actually hack into. @_@;
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

This is 100% the reason why basically all of my programming projects have had some sort of "make translation easy" thing going on ...

After playing quite a bit, I have to say: they made huge AI improvement. Compter's moves actually make sence now, they use spellcards, and overall it's more interesting to play vs com. In HM, hard com was nothing. Here, hard is... well, hard. Thank you, Tasofro)

No one gets "assigned" to translating anything unless they're getting paid. Please have a little more respect for our translators than this.

Sorry sometimes i pharase things in somewhat incorrent manners, sorry.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
I would love to focus more time on the translations but between my real job and my side business, that doesn't leave me with a lot of extra time.

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
After playing quite a bit, I have to say: they made huge AI improvement. Compter's moves actually make sence now, they use spellcards, and overall it's more interesting to play vs com. In HM, hard com was nothing. Here, hard is... well, hard. Thank you, Tasofro)
Lunatic AI is good. But, sometimes when I corner them they just won't attack...
Mwahahahahha!

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
Lunatic AI is good. But, sometimes when I corner them they just won't attack...

I've seen that quite a bit with Kasen's AI, though the Lunatic Reimu AI sometimes just destroys in the corner if you ler her.

Does anyone know what the laser effect that can appear with the occult ball does? I'm fairly convinced it does nothing, the rest I already have a good grasp of what they do. I'm glad though that I haven't seen too much interruption regarding the occult balls unlike some of SWR/Soku's weather effects. Very much looking forward to the full game.

Oh, and me and a friend tested the current network mode. While we had a bit of latency issues ( mostly one of our faults most likely ), we didn't have any issues with desynch that we'd sometimes get with HM, even for a demo it feels like the network play has improved.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:40:02 PM by Ozzter »
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

From the wiki:

The 7 Mystery Spot effects are:

Pyramids: Both players' Occult Attacks are at max power.
Stonehenge: The stage's left/right walls narrow.
Tower of Babel: Touching the Occult Ball's capture field briefly turns it into a projectile that can hit the opponent.
Yomotsu Hirasaka: Steadily turns both players' life bars white faster the closer they are to the center of the stage. White life counts as damage but when the Mystery Spot ends it turns back into normal health. Large Occult Ball capture field.
Nazca Lines: Touching the Occult Ball's capture field restores a small amount of life and 100 spell power.
Hell Valley: Fogs the bottom of the screen and slowly damages players in that area.
Lunar Capital: Slows down most projectile attacks.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
For the record, the laser triangle in the background gives the Pyramids effect (occult attack max level). No idea in hell how it should quality as pyramids though. Could there be a mistranslation?

Looking at it again, the new demo also changes how occult spell cards work in story too. Before you had to touch the orb to fill the meter around it like you would chasing it around. Now you just have to touch it enough to reduce the meter at the top of the screen to 0.

This in my opinion is one of the many things that Urban Legend in Limbo has improved upon from the early demo, before it was monotonous to actually do any sort of damage in the Occult Spellcards, but now its pretty straightforward like it was breaking spellcards in Hisoutensoku. It seems Twilight Frontier also improved the controls, at least to me it feels different in a positive way. On the topic of art, Reimu looks adorable <3
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
For the record, the laser triangle in the background gives the Pyramids effect (occult attack max level). No idea in hell how it should quality as pyramids though. Could there be a mistranslation?
In the mathematical definition, anything with a "polygon base" and "triangular sides that meet in a vortex" is a pyramid.

Representation-wise, a square with two diagonals would just look like a cross at the center, and a square at the edges. What it wouldn't look like is a pyramid. I'm not sure a different representation would look cooler - the current effect does get that sense of pseudosecientific energy nailed.

Then there's also Keine's first spell card:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Imperishable_Night/Spell_Cards/Stage_3
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:50:37 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Komeiji11

• The Gloomy Power of Love
Oh, is that what each location does? None of them seem too annoying except for Stonehenge and maybe Lunar Capital. But I don't think anything will be as annoying as River Mist...

Having played the web trial, finally (and netplay, too, which was surprisingly good if not for the fact that I manage to have 30~ FPS... local, even!), I can safely say that I am incredibly hyped for Urban Legend in Limbo. It feels like an improvement over HM to me and all of the mechanics aren't too bad and pretty fun. The timer issue is no longer a concern of mine because occult orbs appear so frequently it's fine, really.

Anyway, I love it. Can't wait for the full game.

I know all the places of the occults effects except Nazca Lines and Yomotsu Hirasaka.
Anyone know something about these?

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
I know about the Nazca lines. Basically there's a region in South America (I think in Peru or close by) where there are these flat plains. When viewed from above, there are lines literally carved into the ground which make large pictographs. No one's really sure who made them or why, but they're apparently very old and subject to the whole "ancient astronomers" theory.

Edit: On research, the Yomotsu Hirasaka is the slope leading to the underworld, which Izanagi traveled through to retrieve Izanami.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:46:19 AM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

The cool thing about the Nazca lines is that no one even realized they were there until airplanes started flying over the area. So whoever made them was drawing pictures that they wouldn't even be able to see. It's one of those "wonders of the ancient world" kinda things, like Stonehenge.

after a small wiki lookup I actually knew these but not the name XD
these are really cool actually.
and aaaah I should've known considering I played P4 and that made me interested in japanese folklore much more >W<

I'm pretty sure Yomotsu Hirasaka is actually the name of P4's final dungeon, so you really should have known that one.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
I'm pretty sure Yomotsu Hirasaka is actually the name of P4's final dungeon, so you really should have known that one.
Wasn't Yomotsu Hirasaka the name of the way that lead into the netherworld / yomi that Izanagi passed through to go take his wife back in japanese folklore ?

Wasn't Yomotsu Hirasaka the name of the way that lead into the netherworld / yomi that Izanagi passed through to go take his wife back in japanese folklore ?

Yes, which is why it's the name of the final dungeon in P4.

last I played P4 was a loooooooooooooong time ago so I just had a familiar feeling that I've seen the name before.
still kinda confused about Nazca's effect..doesnt seems to be fitting for the area.

Yomotsu Hirasaka: Steadily turns both players' life bars white faster the closer they are to the center of the stage. White life counts as damage but when the Mystery Spot ends it turns back into normal health. Large Occult Ball capture field.

What's the point of this occult effect if the health from both parties will be recovered after the effect?

My guess would be that if one player is already hurt they might be in danger of instantly losing by being hit while at low effective health. Thereby forcing them to play more cautiously while the effect is going on.

What's the point of this occult effect if the health from both parties will be recovered after the effect?
I'm guessing the point is that it's easier to KO the opponent while the Mystery Spot is in effect. If you can keep your opponent close to the center of the stage and unload attacks it would be advantageous.

It may not be as effective now, but I remember that back in the first demo it can suck away your full health in seconds.
As explained by the others, it's purpose is to make a pseudo sudden death match, which forces you to either be defensive or go in for a counterattack. I quite like it, but since it's not as deadly now, you won't need to be too cautious.

Idk if that's how it should be, but while Yomotsu Hirasaka is in effect, all damage turns life white. When Mystery Spot ends, all damage dealt heals, including damage dealt by players. In other words, it's pointless attacking, you should chase the ball instead. Or just Master Spark your opponent, but that always works)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
I know all the places of the occults effects except Nazca Lines and Yomotsu Hirasaka.
Anyone know something about these?
The funniest one is Hell Valley (Jigokudani), because according to wikipedia, there are at least FOUR tourist attractions called "Hell Valley" in Japan. The Hokkaido one is a large volcanic crater, and the Nagano one is a geyser zone famous for monkeys bathing in hot springs. The Toyama one is notable for recent volcanic activities, such as outpouring of volcanic gases. There's a fourth one, but it apparently isn't important enough to warrant a wikipedia entry.

Considering the Hell Valley mystery spot is themed on volcanic gases, it may be a reference to the Toyama Jigokudani, but the more famous Hokkaido Jigokudani also emits volcanic gases.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:39:10 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
This is mostly because there's no more custom decks. Whenever customization is involved, Tasofro doesn't know how to program the AI to use that specific deck you assign them, so they usually just...not use them at all. Now that every character has a set moveset, it's much easier for them to program them to use that since it never changes. I'm actually surprised they also adapt to the spell cards you choose for them as well.

Anyways, I made a quick simple combo video for Reimu after playing around with her for a day. I really like her atm. However, I still plan on using Koishi in the end even if it kills me :V