Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 807984 times)

Well, apparently they failed to remove the references in the previous trial versions, leading the early reveal of Nitori, Koishi, Mamizou for HM, and Mokou and Shinmyoumaru for ULiL. If they left all those in by accident, it seems kind odd that they'd go out of their way to remove another one. Unless they learned of the leaks recently and fixed their mistake.
Keep in mind that this is very shallow analysis, combined with the fact that I'm only looking for strings in English. It's highly likely that a lot of the gibberish I saw in the memory dump is actually SHIFT_JIS encoded text, which might be what we're looking for. I tried opening the ~500MB trace with Word (what I usually use to read non-Unicode stuff), but it just crashes with an Out of Memory error after reading less than half of the file.

Doing some investigation as to why it's not running into wine, pretty sure I know why it's not working on some nvidia setups now. There's a startup anti-hacking check to make sure that all the dlls are contained within the windows system directory and not elsewhere, so If you have a hex editor, here's a thing to try on th145.exe:

At address 00257e16, you will see
Code: [Select]
0f 83 d8 00 00 00change this to
e9 d9 00 00 00 90
If this fixes that, I'm gonna die of laughter.

Would this be considered a day -7 patch? :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:35:03 PM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
So, what's the input for the occult special now? Holding C doesn't seem to launch it. (EDIT: So Melee+Shot it is).
Still, holy shit. Everyone got their bullets multiplied to the point it finally looks like a danmaku-based fighter again AND everyone got a cool charge shot with their danmaku button  :*
Also Kasen has dragon and seal specials and two new spell cards, Marisa's star shower and uppercut aren't ground-restricted anymore (tornado is now a back input) and her bottles make stars spread and Reimu got her old instant teleport back instead of the dimensional hole from HM.  :getdown:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:41:12 PM by Critz »

7TC7

• In best company
Yeah, game looks a lot better than the first demo. Even the Occult Ball mechanic seems to have been tweaked for the better. I can't pinpoint it, but if feel like the ball just doesn't fly around as randomly as before, probably aiming for whoever is doing damage right now? The Mystery Spots don't seem to distract that much from the action either. Also, was it always possible to steal Occult Balls by attacking someone while they use their Occult Attack, because that's totally a thing that happened multiple times right now but I don't remember it from the first demo. It's like punching the Smash Ball out of someone in ... well, Smash.

Characters feel a lot more polished in general. I actually feel in control of Kasen now, whereas I had no idea what I was doing with her in he first demo - still don't know how to shot Eagle, though.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
I think the biggest question is 'Is the tiger still 1-Frame?'. Please tell me it is, I'm begging you.

I replayed story mode today to see if there was anyting diferent, i didn't find anything diferrent, i wanted to see if a few of the others were in the game like Mokou, apparently not -_-"
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Gondolin

• The Hidden Rock
Definitely liking the changes that I've been able to test so far- feels very different from the original demo, imo. I'm a fan of Reimu's new C attack particularly.

Has anyone else been having issues with the demo thinking you have a controller attached when you don't? That's what I've narrowed down the issue to- it seems to think a controller is connected and that it's stuck pushing up(making menu navigation extremely difficult). One odd aspect of this is it's not like I had a controller connected and then disconnected it- I don't even have one I can use. I've even tried pulling out all unnecessary peripherals to see if it was confusing one of those as a controller to no avail. Story mode plays fine though, as it only accepts input from 1P, which is my keyboard, but anything outside of that is nigh inaccessible.
It also seems to not want to launch through AppLocale- though it's entirely possible that that's a different issue entirely.

edit: Turns out it was some software installed alongside freetracknoir. That it was running on startup was odd though, but at least it's resolved. Guess it's on to finding a way to disable it when playing ULiL so I don't have to reinstall whenever I want to play some Elite: Dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:13:17 AM by denexiar »

Drake

Why would there be? It's just a web release of the demo.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Characters feel a lot more polished in general. I actually feel in control of Kasen now, whereas I had no idea what I was doing with her in he first demo - still don't know how to shot Eagle, though.
Using either a regular melee attack or a regular projectile while riding Kanda will trigger the special attack. Melee makes him swoop while still holding Kasen, projectile throws him at the opponent (+ ricochet off any rainbow orbs from Kasen's charged projectile).

7TC7

• In best company
I replayed story mode today to see if there was anyting diferent, i didn't find anything diferrent, i wanted to see if a few of the others were in the game like Mokou, apparently not -_-"

The shadow at the end now activel repells Reimu, so that's something, right? I found it pretty cool at least. I hope she's completely invulnerable all the time. Kasens Spells feel slightly changed, too, but it could just be different difficulties throwing me off.

Tiger still looks pretty 1-frame, but it's really hard to tell in the middle of a fight.

And thanks gilde for the Eagle tips.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

I little testing and I already find something funny about it.
While you're holding your charge shot, you'll enter what I'd like to call "glide state". In this state, your animation is like the usual left and right movement, but you can actually change altitude, like when opponent use their spellcard in story mode. It provides you with better mobility than your dash, and I'm pretty sure it'll be useful for chasing the occult ball.
Either this is a bug or not, I wouldn't know. It looks weird though  :V

As for the rest:
You can no longer do infinite dash, so no more zig-zag movement. I guess this is where Byakuren's Occult came to play, huh
So they chose to just revamped the movesets instead of adding customization in the end, huh. A bit unfortunate, but it's alright. Instead we got denser and more bullet counts.
The charge shot is more like Soku now, and there's a second, more powerful version and probably extra projectiles. The normal charge shot is also available faster, as soon as you start holding the Y button, which makes it faster to use.
Kasen has some new normals (the elbow drill), and animation change for the 6Y.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:56:28 AM by monhan »

First time playing anything ULiL related, and coming from a HM player comboing feels so... clunky.

I've been having a real hard time considering heavy and light attacks are now both together in the same key.  I've been playing Marisa and to be honest the biggest downside for me is how weird it feels to use her dive melee attack ( down + Z in HM).  From what I've understood you have to go up a bit and THEN the skill becomes usable.  Really strange.

You guys got any tips for a HM player trying to adapt?

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
*Awkwardly continues with the character theory, despite having only a week left, while the rest try out the demo.*

[...] This makes me guess maybe the final boss is that Udonge plant that Kaguya has around her.
Itsuari also considered the possibility that the Occult Balls are the jewels of the Jeweled Branch (i.e. the Udonge plant), thus the plant is fulfilling its mission to sow discord on the earth, and leading the story into LoLK. [...]
Kaguya as the midboss, the Udonge plant as the new character. [...]
The stage-select menu now displays the music titles as well. The default Hakurei Shrine BGM is "Seven-Orb Collection Showdown" (七玉蒐集ショウダウン). [...]
Doesn't the Udonge have seven jewels?

Oh, it has seven-coloured jewels.

I'm not sure the ULiL character will have anything to do with aesthetics. [...]
If it is the plant, then we have wabi-sabi as a possible link.

Thinking about it, having the Jeweled Branch as a plot element partly explains Mokou's participation. Wasn't it the Impossible Request assigned to her father?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:08:19 AM by Kai »

Obviously the seven jewels are the Dragon Balls.

Hawk

• Babababa~
Anyone having trouble binding gamepad buttons?

I can navigate the menus with POV hat input as well as OK/Cancel with button 1/2, but when I go into the key config, and I select a button to set, the game just soft locks.  No button presses, on my gamepad or on my keyboard, will set anything, and I'm stuck there.

I had this problem with the previous demo as well, so I ended up just using xpadder to override it.  Would like to see if I can fix it now though.

Edit: So, did some more experimentation, and I found that if you hold a button through unfocusing and refocusing the window (like through, say, minimizing and restoring), it will finish the binding process.  For keyboard, you bind correctly, but for gamepad, no matter what I do, the current key binds to -X axis.  So, still stuck.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:22:50 AM by Hawk »

The shadow at the end now activel repells Reimu, so that's something, right? I found it pretty cool at least. I hope she's completely invulnerable all the time. Kasens Spells feel slightly changed, too, but it could just be different difficulties throwing me off.

Tiger still looks pretty 1-frame, but it's really hard to tell in the middle of a fight.

And thanks gilde for the Eagle tips.

Yeah i saw her repelling her which is a neat detail :)

Do any of you guys notice the game has gotten a little bit slower?
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
There's 4 things I can tell when we talk about "game being slower":

1) ground dash/neutral height dash speed
This is nerfed and your grounddash has slower startup, however accelerates.

2) Vertical movement (after jump)
The vertical movement distance is reduced. It might look like you're moving slower, but you only move shorter, not slower.

3) Forward flight/airdash/non neutral dash speed
This is not nerfed. In term of horizontal speed it is pretty much same. However because flight used to move you slightly diagonally (decrease in altitude) it looks like you were faster back then.

4) Instant airdash (IAD)
IAD j5a covers less distance due to your character falling earlier when you do this. (A slight mechanic change) Won't exactly say we're being slower.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:05:55 AM by FearNagae »

I feel like the game itself runs slower. Like, the framerate. It's not jagged though, so I was wondering if they just slowed the game down overall.

...or maybe that's just my computer.

Hawk

• Babababa~
Also, it looks like you can only dash up/down twice before you "rest" at the middle line again.  This is different from before where you could infinitely dash up, down, up, down, etc to zigzag across the battlefield quickly.

At address 00257e16, you will see
0f 83 d8 00 00 00change this to
e9 d9 00 00 00 90
I don't have NVIDIA, and after this change game now can run with applocale, but still crush, when I go to Story mode/vs Com/vs Player. What I did wrong?

(Sorry for my bad English)

I'm sorry for interrupting the discussion, I am a noob when it comes to techie stuff, and I don't know anything about Hex, can someone go and please link the modified exe. file? I've tried everything and it doesn't even work, and I'm not even using NVidia.

Sorry if I came off as rude in someway.

However i seem to be able to perform combos a little bit easier. Also it was a much needed improvement to have the occult attacks at the punch and shoot button. However what are the button combinations for the Occult Last Words?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
I'm sorry for interrupting the discussion, I am a noob when it comes to techie stuff, and I don't know anything about Hex, can someone go and please link the modified exe. file?
You are welcome! HERE

Even D.N.A. run into problems with th145.exe; he had to make the program an exception in MacType. I look forward to ZUN being unable to launch the game himself.

>music
You can bring up the pause menu during dialog scenes to see the names of dialog themes. The two themes (both by Akiyama) are called:
ボールのある日常 An Everyday Life with Balls
顕現した伝承の形 The Legend's Shape Emerges

Tasofro are unironically masters at naming games and songs.

In other news, the "Seven-Orb Collection Showdown" name caught my attention. Mamizou's fake alien pokeballs are in the shape of gacha capsules. "Gather seven occult balls, and your wish will come true." I'm detecting hints of a thoroughline.

That screenshot really highlights the sameface, doesn't it.
Harukawa has her deficiencies, and these portraits are honestly not her best work. However, "sameface" is not the right criticism for her. She has actually made a valiant effort to make all the named characters' faces and eyes different. Even in this screenshot, Marisa's face appears chubbier than Reimu's.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:42:46 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Harukawa has her deficiencies, and these portraits are honestly not her best work. However, "sameface" is not the right criticism for her. She has actually made a valiant effort to make every named character's faces and eyes look different. At least in my eyes, a combination of factors make the face of Harukawa's Marisa appear chubbier than Reimu's.
I think the pose is the biggest flaw here. A few characters tilt their head slightly in the exact same way.

Also, Futo looks really great. I like those big blue eyes.

Many thanks for the exe, however, it regrettably still doesn't work, I don't know what I did  wrong, I'm using Intel HD Graphics 3000 (yes, I know, it's a toaster), however it was able to run the previous trial released at comiket. *sigh, guess here's just hoping that the full ver. doesn't have this problem.

Many thanks for the exe, however, it regrettably still doesn't work, I don't know what I did  wrong, I'm using Intel HD Graphics 3000 (yes, I know, it's a toaster), however it was able to run the previous trial released at comiket. *sigh, guess here's just hoping that the full ver. doesn't have this problem.

Did you modify the contents of the folder in any way? Some other person posted earlier that it broke because they were trying to use their data from the previous trial.

I have not, the contents are the ones from the one I downloaded. Unless of course, you claim that the Mediafire link for the trial one user has posted here is broken, otherwise, I haven't done anything wrong.    ???

Well, that's the one that worked for me, so that rules that out. If you really care, you might want to try hex-editing it yourself (it's not that hard, I'd never done it before either, so I just googled "free hex editor" and did what the post said).

I feel like the game itself runs slower. Like, the framerate. It's not jagged though, so I was wondering if they just slowed the game down overall.

...or maybe that's just my computer.

Have you tried changing the last 4 options in the config menu so that they look like this? It's what I did and the game runs buttery smooth now. Several people on 4chan also confirmed an improvement when they used this configuration.

I have not, the contents are the ones from the one I downloaded. Unless of course, you claim that the Mediafire link for the trial one user has posted here is broken, otherwise, I haven't done anything wrong.    ???

Did you delete the original trials files and put the new one in the folder where they were? If you did then no problem. Dont overwrite the original files with the new ones.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter