Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 807961 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Kasen's connection to the monkey's paw is her missing arm. It is important that she has an unfulfilled desire: to take back her arm, which makes her vulnerable to the temptation of anything that can fulfill wishes.

According to spoilers (I didn't mention this one), since the appearance of urban legends, Marisa has taken an interest in the rich legends surrounding schools.

Fair enough, either way it's going to be great to see Moe Harukawa do the artwork for the game, hopefully his portrait of Futo won't make her look 7 years old like in HM.
There might be a reason to that. It is possible that Futo is literally a bratty teenager. That would explain her stupidity, cowardice and rashness very well.

Time for already simplified obscure knowledge: (EDIT: also not entirely accurate)
The Mononobe clan is a priest clan. Ise Shrine, the shrine most important to the Japanese throne, is divided into the Inner Shrine for Amaterasu, and the Outer Shrine for the agriculture goddess Toyouke. In the Outer Shrine, there are girl priestesses, around 10 years old, called 物忌 monoimi "Abstinence", and there is one 大物忌 ohmonoimi "Great Abstinence", who is a Mononobe girl, responsible for offering food to the gods. The age of an ohmonoimi generally ranges from 9 to 14 years, as she will be replaced by the time of her first menstruation. Afterwards, she will remain celibate for her whole life.

What may trip you up is that Ohmonoimi is also another name for Toyouke. This definition of the word is much more widespread on the internet by comparison. I have no idea if the priestess is supposed to be a proxy of Toyouke.

Futo's last spell card and Overdrive card in TD are called 聖童女「大物忌正餐」 and 聖童女「太陽神の贄」. Their accurate translations might be Sacred Virgin "Ohmonoimi's Dinner" and Sacred Virgin "Offering to Sun God". 聖童女 "sacred little girl" or "sacred virgin" is a phrase coined by a folklorist to describe the ohmonoimi priestess. The "dinner" or "offering" itself refers to the Outer Shrine's daily ceremony of offering food to the gods, once in the morning, once in the evening.

In addition, Futo's dress is based on the ohmonoimi garb. People have pointed out it seems to be her not entirely successful result of adapting to fashions of the modern world.

I can't find the place where I saw a photo of a real life Ohmonoimi girl, but Futo's NicoNico Encyclopedia entry has a surprisingly good summary of related info. And here's the official Ise Shrine site on the dinner of gods.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:20:22 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Kasen's connection to the monkey's paw is her missing arm. It is important that she has an unfulfilled desire: to take back her arm, which makes her vulnerable to the temptation of anything that can fulfill wishes.
From what you've said, I presume now that means the Urban Legends will have to link to the characters in some way? So they're not entirely random. I could see urban legends fitting some touhou characters quite easily, like Sekibanki having a connection to the Teke-Teke legend, or Nue having a connection to the Nure-onna.

According to spoilers (I didn't mention this one), since the appearance of urban legends, Marisa has taken an interest in the rich legends surrounding schools.
There might be a reason to that. It is possible that Futo is literally a bratty teenager. That would explain her stupidity, cowardice and rashness very well.

Time for already simplified obscure knowledge:
The Mononobe clan is a priest clan. Ise Shrine, the shrine most important to the Japanese throne, is divided into the Inner Shrine for Amaterasu, and the Outer Shrine for the agriculture goddess Toyouke. In the Outer Shrine, there are girl priestesses, around 10 years old, called 物忌 monoimi "Abstinence", and there is one 大物忌 ohmonoimi "Great Abstinence", who is a Mononobe girl, responsible for offering food to the gods. The age of an ohmonoimi generally ranges from 9 to 14 years, as she will be replaced by the time of her first menstruation. Afterwards, she will remain celibate for her whole life.

What may trip you up is that Ohmonoimi is also another name for Toyouke. This definition of the word is much more widespread on the internet by comparison. I have no idea if the priestess is supposed to be a proxy of Toyouke.

Futo's last spell card and Overdrive card in TD are called 聖童女「大物忌正餐」 and 聖童女「太陽神の贄」. Their accurate translations might be Sacred Virgin "Ohmonoimi's Dinner" and Sacred Virgin "Offering to Sun God". 聖童女 "sacred little girl" or "sacred virgin" is a phrase coined by a folklorist to describe the ohmonoimi priestess. The "dinner" or "offering" itself refers to the Outer Shrine's daily ceremony of offering food to the gods, once in the morning, once in the evening.

In addition, Futo's dress is based on the ohmonoimi garb. People have pointed out it seems to be her not entirely successful result of adapting to fashions of the modern world.

I can't find the place where I saw a photo of a real life Ohmonoimi girl, but Futo's NicoNico Encyclopedia entry has a surprisingly good summary of related info. And here's the official Ise Shrine site on the dinner of gods.
Color me surprised, I had no idea Futo was intentionally supposed to look young, that does indeed explain a lot. What a fascinating history check as well, looks like I have no reason to complain about how she looked now.

From what you've said, I presume now that means the Urban Legends will have to link to the characters in some way? So they're not entirely random. I could see urban legends fitting some touhou characters quite easily, like Sekibanki having a connection to the Teke-Teke legend, or Nue having a connection to the Nure-onna.

Sure, they will have a link, but that link can be made up. They can fit any Touhou characters, not just some. That specific Touhou character just needs to take interest in whatever legend is being used.
As you noticed, Marisa took an interest in school legends. She, herself, has no links to any school, nor was she known to have gone to school.
You can use the same type of pattern for any legend that another Touhou character may take interest in. If it seemingly fits them, then, yeah, that's great, but that part isn't a big deal.

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Sure, they will have a link, but that link can be made up. They can fit any Touhou characters, not just some. That specific Touhou character just needs to take interest in whatever legend is being used.
As you noticed, Marisa took an interest in school legends. She, herself, has no links to any school, nor was she known to have gone to school.
You can use the same type of pattern for any legend that another Touhou character may take interest in. If it seemingly fits them, then, yeah, that's great, but that part isn't a big deal.
I suppose so but it'd seem a bit odd and out of character for a character like Byakuren to take advantage of an urban legend, the same could be said for someone like Miko too.

I think Miko would take advantage of literally anything. That's just how I see her. I think it's easy enough to get Byakuren's attention too. Remember that "take advantage of" doesn't necessarily mean they have ulterior motives. Byakuren is currently "taking advantage of" all the youkai in her temple since her magic is contingent on youkai. Doesn't mean she doesn't honestly want to help them too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:55:02 PM by Clarste »

I suppose so but it'd seem a bit odd and out of character for a character like Byakuren to take advantage of an urban legend, the same could be said for someone like Miko too.

Like what Clarste said, it isn't odd or out of character for either of them to take advantage of the Urban Legends. If you think it is out of character or odd, then, you are thinking too much into it, trying to make connections where one doesn't exist.
I believe both Byakuren and Miko will likely be in Urban Legend in Limbo. But how they are going to use the Urban Legends will remain to be seen.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Remember the leaks with Mokou, Shinmyoumaru and Hanako?

Today it crossed my mind that maybe Mokou appeared w/Keine in ISC as a little foreshadowing. She could have been included to give company to Kagerou in the Bamboo Forest day, but if that were the case, then why Keine? She lives in the Human village and ZUN could simply have given Kagerou and Mokou more cards to fill the level.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Today it crossed my mind that maybe Mokou appeared w/Keine in ISC as a little foreshadowing.
ISC?

Thanks in advance!

7TC7

• In best company
ISC?

Thanks in advance!

Impossible Spell Card

And yeah, I had that notion, too. The two of them felt slightly random to be brought back in ISC, especially Keine, but if it was to ease Mokous way into this new game, it would make sense.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
I wonder anyway, when do you guys think Tasofro will release more info for the game? I wasn't here for when HM was getting hyped up for so I'm not sure.

cuc

Going by how they released these fighting games in the past:

They will put up a free demo on their website in February or March, and announce the full version for Reitaisai 12 (May 10). A few days before Reitaisai, they will update the site with character profiles, and reveal a ZUN-designed jacket cover, with a silhouette that fuels speculation (perhaps not in this case.) The doujin stores will put up the game's product pages, which sometimes also contain new info.

Then the day before Reitaisai, they will release a Day One patch. Someone will dissect the patch and discover the game's secrets before Reitaisai even begins :-) .
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:43:26 PM by cuc »

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!

They will put up a free demo on their website in February or March, and announce the full version for Reitaisai 12 (May 10). A few days before Reitaisai, they will update the site with character profiles, and reveal the game's ZUN-designed jacket cover, with a silhouette that fuels speculation (perhaps not in this case.) The doujin stores will put up the game's product pages, which sometimes also contains new info.

Then the day before Reitaisai, they will release a Day One patch. Someone will dissect the patch and discover some secret before Reitaisai even begins :-) .
Ah, so it looks like we'll be getting new info around May then? ;; Looks like now all we can do is wait!

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
They will put up a free demo on their website in February or March

Why do you think it's February or March? I think it used to be around 1 month before the game, so April ?
Just wondering because I'm still in very high hype and it'd be amazing if I can have something in February/March  :D

cuc

April then it is. My job in the recent years hasn't been kind to my memory.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:09:11 PM by cuc »

game2011

• magneiptVE
Ah, so it looks like we'll be getting new info around May then? ;; Looks like now all we can do is wait!
Long answer short: no new info until a week before release.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~

They will put up a free demo on their website in February or March, and announce the full version for Reitaisai 12 (May 10). A few days before Reitaisai, they will update the site with character profiles, and reveal a ZUN-designed jacket cover, with a silhouette that fuels speculation (perhaps not in this case.) The doujin stores will put up the game's product pages, which sometimes also contain new info.

Then the day before Reitaisai, they will release a Day One patch. Someone will dissect the patch and discover the game's secrets before Reitaisai even begins :-) .
The period of misinformation and fake stuffs will also start around that period, haha. I remember seeing a Yamame done in Alphes's style and an Okuu pixel art around the time where misinformation was all around. Is this some sort of tradition for the fanbase ? *Prepares lots of grain of salt*

If they are going to do things like in HM's case, then Tasofro might also update their site with information and illustration about the new playable characters... it was like that 2 weeks before HM was released if I remember correctly... I wonder what they are going to do for ULiL's case.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:49:57 PM by Suspicious person »

game2011

• magneiptVE
Is this some sort of tradition for the fanbase ?
More like a tradition for fighting games as a whole.  You should totally see how things were during SSB4's release...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:22:36 AM by game2011 »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Not to mention tons of accusations of the developers being trolls because of people jumping to conclusions or setting up extremely high expectations from nowhere.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
All I know is that if they put Kagerou in, I'd overflow with bliss.

Kagerou is by far my favorite from DDC, the second being Wakasagihime. All other characters from the game are pretty "meh" for me, but I do like Sekibanki some as well.

Kagerou may have better chances than Wakasagihime because I think a floating mermaid in a fighting game would be a bit clumsy.

What I really wanted was both of 'em there, but that's asking a little much. :V There are other characters who are more deserving of a spot in the game.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Personal wishlist for the game's roster would be a complete roster of new characters which probably wont happen but oh well: Sekibanki, Nue, Seija, Shinmyoumaru, Mokou, Aya/Sanae and Yumemi/Mima. Whilst I know how abyssmal the chances of the latter ones getting in, it'd be my favorite 2hu ever if they brought either one of those back ;;

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Seija has pretty high chances of getting in. She got her own game recently, and all danmaku playable characters got into some fighter already, except for Hatate. I can totally see Seija facing the opponent backwards on her idle animation and even going upside down sometimes.

Mokou is also a pretty popular character, and she'd fit very well on a fighting game. Not to mention Tasofro considered making her playable back then, so I'd say she has high chances as well.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Seija has pretty high chances of getting in. She got her own game recently, and all danmaku playable characters got into some fighter already, except for Hatate. I can totally see Seija facing the opponent backwards on her idle animation and even going upside down sometimes.

Mokou is also a pretty popular character, and she'd fit very well on a fighting game. Not to mention Tasofro considered making her playable back then, so I'd say she has high chances as well.
From the leaks I think there's a pretty high chance of Mokou being confirmed, though I wouldn't bet on it. If Seija was in it I'd look forward to seeing her fighting style, and how she'd interract with the main villain of the game too.

From the leaks I think there's a pretty high chance of Mokou being confirmed, though I wouldn't bet on it. If Seija was in it I'd look forward to seeing her fighting style, and how she'd interract with the main villain of the game too.

I would love having Seija in the game as well, her personality has comedic potential and overall is interesting. In Unthinkable Nature Law, Mokou and Kaguya were planned to appear in the game, however were scrapped due to time constraints. If Mokou makes it, then i would say there is a chance for the Eternal Princess of the Moon to make an appearence as well which first of all i am hyped for Mokou because she will be fun and interesting to play as, as well as Kaguya, and it's a great oportunity to expand their personality... and if they appear... finally and offical Touhou Game where Kaguya and Mokou duke it out!!!
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
I would love having Seija in the game as well, her personality has comedic potential and overall is interesting. In Unthinkable Nature Law, Mokou and Kaguya were planned to appear in the game, however were scrapped due to time constraints. If Mokou makes it, then i would say there is a chance for the Eternal Princess of the Moon to make an appearence as well which first of all i am hyped for Mokou because she will be fun and interesting to play as, as well as Kaguya, and it's a great oportunity to expand their personality... and if they appear... finally and offical Touhou Game where Kaguya and Mokou duke it out!!!
Mokou vs Kaguya in a fighting game, that would be absolutely glorius. Also, on another note, I hope that the pre-battle themes are going to be as good as they were in SWR. From the 2nd battle's pre-battle theme, I'll presume they will be. I wonder if there'll be stage themes as well as character themes, or if the themes in the demo are actually the themes of Marisa and Kasen.

Mokou vs Kaguya in a fighting game, that would be absolutely glorius. Also, on another note, I hope that the pre-battle themes are going to be as good as they were in SWR. From the 2nd battle's pre-battle theme, I'll presume they will be. I wonder if there'll be stage themes as well as character themes, or if the themes in the demo are actually the themes of Marisa and Kasen.

Probably in SWR some characters battles in story mode didn't have the enemy's theme playing an example would be Reimu vs Komachi and i just have a feeling those aren't Marisa's and Kasen's themes i think they will do it like SWR.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
I wish Kaguya would get in. Maybe at least as an expansion for next year  :derp:

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Hmh, I still want to know what's up with the piano in the first screenshot we got of the game, that wasn't featured in the demo.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Hmh, I still want to know what's up with the piano in the first screenshot we got of the game, that wasn't featured in the demo.
It's one of Marisa's special attacks.

Dream Wanderer

So I was thinking about it, and it occurred to me that the Mary-san/three-legged Licca-chan rumors would be a perfect fit for Alice or Medicine if either of them were added as playable characters.

Also, I think Kasen might have a field day in this game considering how many of the classic Japanese urban legend monsters are onryō for her to crush. (Kuchisake-onna, Teke Teke, Kashima Reiko, Hikiko-san, etc.)

Oh and if the implementation of Marisa's school mysteries change before the final release, I hope they get to add references about some of the other ones to it if they can. (Things like the heartless anatomical model, the mirror that reflects terrifying things, and the 13th stair, among others.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:23:45 PM by Dream Wanderer »

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
So I was thinking about it, and it occurred to me that the Mary-san/three-legged Licca-chan rumors would be a perfect fit for Alice or Medicine if either of them were added as playable characters.

Also, I think Kasen might have a field day in this game considering how many of the classic Japanese urban legend monsters are onryō for her to crush. (Kuchisake-onna, Teke Teke, Kashima Reiko, Hikiko-san, etc.)

Oh and if the implementation of Marisa's school mysteries change before the final release, I hope they get to add references about some of the other ones to it if they can. (Things like the heartless anatomical model, the mirror that reflects terrifying things, and the 13th stair, among others.)
Well, why not? Lots of thing can be added, we only received the demo. But as far as moveset goes, I don't think there'll be too much, I mean, SOME moves were brought directly from HM but not ALL of them instead. I think you shouldn't get your hopes too high on this one.

I like to think that ULiL is going to, compared to HM, feature more characters and a solid gameplay but give a restricted moveset instead... and the characters are likely to have "occult" spells that will have something to do with the rumours surrounding them (expecting the rumours not to be totaly related to the characters. Reimu using rumors that fits Yukari is rather dubious too...)

Speculations, speculations. Anyway, it'll be cool if there are more moves available than in the demo for the full version (and less bugs, for that matter).
(btw greetings, Mr (relatively) new member! Hope the ongoing dramas won't spoil your fun. Enjoy your stay!  :D)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:46:06 PM by Suspicious person »