Author Topic: Touhou - Fantasy Phantasm - Help Wanted! [Updated Jan 14/2012]  (Read 5552 times)

xForeverFanaticx

• Bomb ALL the Spellcards!
Touhou - Fantasy Phantasm - Help Wanted! [Updated Jan 14/2012]
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:36 AM »
OTHER PEOPLE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SHOULD READ AT THEIR OWN RISK

As the title implies, I'm planning on making a game on Danmakufu 0.12m (starting in the very very near future), but I know that I'll require the help of a team, namely the following:

-Spriters/Pixel Artists/Artists in general(for sprites, backgrounds, effects, game frame, custom bullet sprites,etc.)
-People to work on scripts with(pool ideas together, etc.)
-Music composers?
-Beta testers(eventually... x-x)

And... any more that I can think of later(though this is most likely all I'll really need xD)?

And if anybody really cares about how far I've gone, I've only got the rough plans thought out(yeah... not too good...), namely the entire plot, the characters that will be included(including a new character that we'll make and introduce), and a few features that'll be included as well.

The game can and will be talked about here in this thread, but in spoilers.

Once I get a few people joining, I'll start you guys off on the second post.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:16:23 PM by xForeverFanaticx »

xForeverFanaticx

Re: [Insert Undecided Game Name Here] - Help Wanted! xD
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »
Touhou - Fantasy Phantasm (Mystic Dreamland of the East)

The name is NOT final, just using it for now, and maybe as the final one. Suggestions for names are welcome.

//Story\\
The magical barrier protecting Gensokyo has been deteriorating lately. This, in turn, has caused an outbreak of strange mutated spirits to appear in great numbers. Reimu worries for the safety of the people of Gensokyo, while Marisa worries for the safety of her homeland. Both decide to head out and resolve this.

(The rest would spoil the game)

//Playable Characters\\
Reimu and Marisa are both playable, each with 2 different shottypes and spells. Reimu has her own path, while Marisa also has her own.

//Features\\
-Graze will be a factor in bonus points awarded per point item, and is not reset on each stage
-A graze bomb can be used if you have enough graze, which will spawn a circle that nullifies bullets(DOES NOT DAMAGE ENEMIES).
-->Graze bombing has an initial cost of a certain amount of graze(varying from stage to stage and difficulty to difficulty), and each bullet nullified lowers your graze by one.
-->In order to graze bomb, you need to have a certain amount of graze or more(again, varying according to stage and difficulty). If your graze counter ever reaches 0, the graze bomb automatically ends
-->Graze bombing DOES nullify a spellcard bonus, just like a regular spellcard would.
-Collect Dream Orbs! Enemies, as well as bosses and familiars, will release Dream Orbs just like they did with Time Orbs in IN.
-->Like in IN, collecting enough Dream Orbs in a stage will allow you to try the boss' Last Spell.
-->Dream Orbs also affect your stage score.
-Unlock Dream Spells by achieving certain requirements.
-->Dream Spells are powerful spellcards that each character has 1 of. Try to find them all!
-Features an extra stage
-2 playable characters with 2 unique shottypes each.

//Full Character List\\
READ AT YOUR OWN RISK
Spoiler:
Reimu Hakurei
Marisa Kirisame
Chen
Ran Yakumo
Youmu Konpaku
Yuyuko Saigyouji
Sakuya Izayoi
Flandre Scarlet
Remilia Scarlet
Alice Margatroid
Patchouli Knowledge
Byakuren Hijiri
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Eirin Yagokoro
Kaguya Houraisan
Reisen Inaba
Suika Ibuki
Mamizou
Nue Houjuu
Yukari Yakumo
Shinki
Utsuho Reiuji
(Unnamed Character)

//Update Log\\
[Jan 14/2012]
Updated with full list of characters, features(incomplete), and plot(only beginning included, the rest would spoil the game).
Updated with temporary game name.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:31:41 PM by xForeverFanaticx »

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »
What's thee plot? Maybe I can help you with a title since it ain't too difficult And doesn't involve me screwing up at SAI and GIMP
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »
What's thee plot? Maybe I can help you with a title since it ain't too difficult And doesn't involve me screwing up at SAI and GIMP

Well, what exactly do you do?

Well, I was thinking of having the team members suggest some names (once there IS a team xD) for both the team and the game, and then we'll have a sort of vote for it?

Some of the things, of course will still be public xD So long as it does not spoil the game in any way :3

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:40:21 AM »
Will this be made in ph3 or 0.12m?

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:46:20 AM »
I cannot think of one actually unless you PM me or simply post the list of characters and idea you have. And to repeat gtbot's question, will this be made in 0.12m~ or ph3 beta?

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:48:18 AM »
oh right forgot about that... >.<

okay

gtbot: This will be in 0.12m.

ReiRei: mmm... okay I'll pm you then.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
ReiRei: mmm... okay I'll pm you then.
PMed you back

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:34:09 AM »
You should really consider making the game with placeholder resources, before asking so much of others. Chances are you won't get all the help you're seeking until you have more to show.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:14:46 AM »
I'd like some information on this too. Given gimmicks and spellcard names, I could code some spells.

Especially since this is v0.12m. I can't do as much in ph3 just yet, but I know I'm working towards it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:19:56 AM by alt-kyuu-kyuu »

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »
lol I just talked to my friend yesterday, and he said he'd be able to help me too(which'll be very helpful, since I'm able to be in contact with him more). If any of you really want to help me with this project, PM me.

If you guys want to see more before you join in, just wait a bit. I'm working on Stage 1A right now, planning on doing Stage 1A and B, maybe 2A and 2B too. (Which means that yes, there'll be 2 different scenarios, but both end up in the same place anyway. Reimu's shottypes will have A, Marisa's B. Sorry about the generic-ness of the playable characters! ^^)

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »
One question, are you gonna customize your own art, music, and BG? If your using others, I recommend giving them credit at the Staff roll \ credits.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 05:54:33 AM »
If you're not going to go through the trouble to make a staffroll/credits scene, I suggest you at least point the player to a credit.txt somewhere.

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
Hmm... :\

I think I'll do some sort of credits thing at the end. My friend's going to be working on some music and graphics. Although... I need sfx... I'd use the generic Touhou sfx, but I just can't seem to find some of them, so maybe I'll just scrap that and use custom sfx. (but it still bugs me...)

Okay, I think I'll update the post with a bit of public info on the game now then xD(should've done that earlier).

EDIT:... after I get home ._.

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
Kay I'm just posting to say that I've updated the second post, with a list of characters(for anybody who decides to join, and those who are curious enough to spoil it for themselves), as well as some other stuff.

I've decided that for now, I won't be including sfx in the scripts until I can get a full set of sfx that suits my purposes.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Touhou - Fantasy Phantasm - Help Wanted! [Updated Jan 14/2012]
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »
Hm. There were plans on #worldwidewar that grazing would have a scoring system in Worldwide War as well, so I guess you beat us to it. Damn.

Last Words are only in spellpractice. Are you trying to talk about Last Spells instead?

"Fantasy Phantasm" seems like a very cliche name for a Touhou game. Anyone could think of that.
If I knew the complete plot, I'd probably think of something better.

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
Crap. Stupid memory is going bad... *lol is going senile at an early age* I'll fix it.

Well, the title's only temporary, and I really want to change it too.

Aaaanyway, making the player script, and I see that I need to learn about CommonData more... >.<

I'm trying to have it so that you choose the character from an in-game menu, so there's only 1 choice in the dnh menu, but that means I'll need to use CommonData... arghhh >.< If I can't do that, I guess I'll resort to making separate ones for the sake of actually being able to do it xD.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
About the complete plot, can you PM me and see what I can come up with for the title?

Also, I'd be able to code most of the player, provided the shot definition script and graphics (and sounds as well)...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:01:18 PM by alt-kyuu-kyuu »

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
About the complete plot, can you PM me and see what I can come up with for the title?

Also, I'd be able to code most of the player, provided the shot definition script and graphics (and sounds as well)...

I'd greatly appreciate help with some of the scripting. The shottypes, I guess would be okay for public, though I'll still put them in spoilers here:

Oh and all shottypes will have 0-4 options, depending on the power level. If you're planning on starting the player script, just keep in mind that I'm also making the power level a damage multiplier(power goes from 0-150, damage rate is power/10+50   %, meaning full power would deal double the damage, and 0 power would deal 50% the damage). You can make the power levels where you get an extra option wherever you find suitable.

Spoiler:
Reimu-A
Idk what to call the shottype. "Chained Shot Type"?
Shots:
-Unfocused: Amulet Triad
-->options each shoot out a single amulet(idk what color, red?) with an effect of trailing fading amulets(not actual bullets). if it hits an enemy, it will split into 3 amulets(again with tails), and aim at the 3 nearest enemies(within a reasonable distance). Yes, it only links once. If there are no enemies to lock onto, they'll just go in straight directions (evenly split 3-way). The initial shots themselves should go straight ahead.
-Focused: Amulets of 5 Elements
--> same as the unfocused, but the amulets split into 5 the first time, and then after that will only spawn one after it hits and enemy. There will be 3 links(or 4 maybe?). The colors will probably be the same or one of each element.
Spellcard: Seal "Amulet Hexagram"
-->A hexagram shape in a circle forms around you, and will then slowly advance to the center of the screen.

Option: Front Position

Special:
-Small hitbox(0.5 px I guess?)
-Has relatively faster focused and unfocused speeds(regular Reimu would be 4 and 1.5, so I guess 4.5 and 2? or 5 and 2.5?)

Reimu-B
Wide Focus Type
Shots:
-Unfocused: Mirror Needle
-->A regular persuasion needle, except it bounces back from the edge of the screen once. Shots should be angled inwards. Each option shoots 2(1 at each side of it)
-Focused: Needle Prism
-->a much wider spread of the needles, and they bounce twice.
Spellcard: Bounded Field "Barrier of Danmaku"
-->A shield forms around you, and any bullets that are in or enter the field are turned into bullets that attack the enemy when the spell is over.

Option: Rear & Lock Position

Special:
-Small hitbox(again, 0.5 px)
-Player's basic shot(not from the options) becomes stronger when focused

Marisa-A
Extreme Focus Type
Shots:
-Unfocused: Stardust Magic
-->columns of stars go "almost" straight up(slightly angled outward). Each option shoots 1 star at a time(but it shoots more bullets overall than Reimu's)
-Focused: Laser Pulse
-->each option fires a penetrating laser that also makes a little pulse that deals extra damage in a small area where it hits the enemy(pulse should be big enough for an area of effect, but reasonably big only).
Spellcard: Light Magic "Supernova"
-->stars appears at random in random locations and burst into light, nullifying bullets in an area of effect per star.

Option: Sides & Center Position (straight left and right, and at the center where your hitbox is).

Special:
-Lower point of collection
-Relatively fast focused speed(Sakuya speed I think...), but slow speed when not shooting or focusing(think "Reimu focused" speed)

Marisa-B
Delayed Power Type
Shots:
-Unfocused: Ghost Missile
-->Options automatically leave behind an star effect that lingers for awhile before fading away, even when not shooting(the spawning of these should be relatively fast, though not too many or it'll lag). When shooting, the star effects transform into a green missile and move straight up. The missile gains power as it moves(gradual power yay).
-Focused: Phantom Napalm
-->Same as unfocused, but when you shoot while focused, they become the stronger blue missiles. Again, gradual power gain.
Spellcard: Magicannon "Phantom Spark"
-->You drop a star effect that releases a Master Spark-esque laser. The star effect will trail behind you(as in it will follow you) slowly, but the laser will always aim up.

Option: Surround Position (orbiting clockwise, and closer orbiting when focused)

Special:
-Lower point of collection
-Will automatically bomb if you're hit and there's a bomb in stock. However, it uses up 2 bomb items(1 if only 1 is in stock). (This will be AFTER the border of life and death frames, so you can still save yourself first with 1 bomb instead, but it will save you if you don't).

Okay... that's a lot...

I don't have sfx just yet... x0x Graphics... I'll have to check up on my friend. If not, we can just use placeholder graphics for now. (I'm planning on using the AnimationLib by Blargel for drawing graphics, so if you could, use that? Or i'll just convert it afterwards)

EDIT: Here, we'll use as placeholder images ripped graphics from UFO:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/playeri.png/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:04:19 PM by xForeverFanaticx »

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 02:16:23 AM »
Wow. That's a long spoiler.

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 02:39:12 AM »
Wow. That's a long spoiler.

lol yeah I know right. But it has to be or it'd just be 1 big jumbled up mess of words that you can't make out. Just a note, Dream Spells are meant to be like Last Words(yes, I got it right this time. Last WORDS) in the sense that they are their own difficulty, are unlocked through certain methods, and there is one per character. Calling it a last word just sounded like I was taking it straight from IN though. Besides, the "dream" will fit in with this(if you know what the story is xD).

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:50 AM »
I would call mine Fantasy Word or Last Fantasy.

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 02:50:03 AM »
I would call mine Fantasy Word or Last Fantasy.

Again, the title is not final. In fact, Mewkyuu is helping me come up with a better name O:

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »
Try calling it "Withering Barrier ~ Illusionary Dream of Phantasmorgia".

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
I came up with something along the lines of "Impefect Reality".

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 04:44:45 AM »
How about Flawed Fantasy? It seems to work well enough with the story's premise.

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
Hmm... How about "Imperfect Illusion of Phantasmagoria"?

Which reminds me... We need a team/project name. ._.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
Imperfect Illusion is just enough. The Phantasmagoria part is... well, there really is no need for it, I think.

As for the team name, eh...

xForeverFanaticx

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
Imperfect Illusion is just enough. The Phantasmagoria part is... well, there really is no need for it, I think.

As for the team name, eh...

Hmm... So, should we make it official yet? Or should we put up a poll for names? O.o

And I'm working on a Spell for Ran right now, I've got some questions:

Spoiler:
Spellcard: Radiance "Buddhist Fox"
Description: Basically, this card's mainly static(all except for the few bullets which are aimed at you). 4 lasers are shot out(indestructible) and make sharp turns to form a 卍 shape(and in normal and harder, more of these patterns are made). Amulet bullets trail behind the laser, and move outwards(in towards the boundaries).

In Easy, there's only 1 卍 pattern, going clockwise. In Normal, there are 2, 1 going clockwise, 1 counterclockwise at an offset time. In hard, there are 4, the 2 basic ones from normal, and 2 more just like them, only moving diagonally(45 degree difference from the original ones) clockwise and counter clockwise. Again, there's an offset. In Lunatic, it's basically the same as Hard, only the amulets spawn at a faster rate, making it more dense.

In easy and normal, a single yellow bubble bullet is shot at equal intervals in time at you. In hard and lunatic, rings of yellow orbs are shot, 2 rings at a time. The first ring will have 1 orb aimed at you, and the second ring will be offset from the first ring and move slower, acting as walls around you later on.

My question is... In easy and normal the 4 corners are basically safespots(only thing to dodge is the bubble). This is removed in Hard and Lunatic, but would it be okay in Easy and Normal to have those safespots? The most shottypes will have a hard time hitting Ran in those areas anyway(with the exception of Reimu-B, which will be able to lock its options in place and then move into the corner.