Author Topic: Overwatch Thread: UPRISING PvE, HotS Promotional Event 2.0, and New D.VA Skin!  (Read 101997 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Re: Overwatch Thread: Lunar New Year!
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2017, 06:18:24 AM »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
There's been a lot of speculation about how this could still end up being Doomfist. I seriously doubt there will just straight-up be an 11-year-old girl directly playable, so given what she does she's probably going to build a robot(s) that we play as while she directs it from somewhere else.

If that's the case then maybe the robot will use the gauntlet? Or maybe she'll be even less directly related to a playable character and will just be responsible for stealing the gauntlet on behalf of the new Doomfist or maybe upgrading it.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #392 on: February 23, 2017, 06:54:52 AM »
The problem with the Doomfist theory is that Blizzard has also already answered a question weeks ago that basically killed it as the 24th hero. When asked about what, if anything, they could tell us Jeff simply replied "24 is not who you think it is." Keep in mind this was 4 days before the Eli article went up, back when Doomfist was everyone's expectation.

Current theory is that the "hero" is a giant spider drone that we've seen glimpses of in past teasers, and that she made it. Also people think that it will be the Reinhardt alternative as far as needing a giant tank wall on your team goes that Blizzard has admitted the game needs.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
So Season 3 just ended.

I forgot to finish my placements.
So Season 3 just ended.

I forgot to care.

Srsy, Blizz.  I think we can just dump Competitive Mode and hardly anyone is going to care.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »
Really? You vastly underestimate Competitive Mode's popularity. Like sure it has flaws (very few games, if any, have a competitive system without major flaws) but that doesn't mean that removing it won't basically kill the game outright. There's a point where exaggeration just becomes nonsense.

1CC List (all shmups)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #395 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:03 AM »
So, how's everyone liking/loathing the new Bastion? Ironclad seems a tad too stronk.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
New character Orisa is a centaur-shaped robot with tanky abilities, an OP crowd-control ability, and her ult places a thing that shoots blue Mercy beams at all nearby allies.   Her gun is powerful but it has that thing like Dva's mech guns where it slows you down while you're firing it; kinda like Natascha from TF2.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
Mini-Graviton Surge is probably going to get toned down a tiny bit (maybe not slow the enemy down?). That said, her lack of mobility basically means she's a defensive-oriented Android Krillin, pretty much. 900 shield strength in a small area is nice to hold down lanes or keep a pocket Bastion safer, and Fortify means you can hold the line against stuff like hooks and knockback, but you're probably not going to replace a good Tank with her. Can't shield the whole team as well as Reinhardt, can't heal like Roadhog, can't flank like Winston, has nowhere near D.Va's mobility, and no increasing her damage output like Zarya (her ult aside).

This might actually make snipers more useful on console, strangely enough, since it can basically guarantee a body shot at least.

Also Bastion is getting a nerf soon (or has it already happened?).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:20:40 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
As someone who's arguably a Zarya main at this point I'm not super thrilled that my ultimate is the actual slowest one in the game to charge and there's a bew character with a very similar ability as a normal move. Granted I haven't seen aby gameplay of it yet so I don't know how similar it it.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #399 on: March 03, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
It's a singular pull. More like Luccio's boop in application.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #400 on: March 03, 2017, 11:04:25 PM »
Oh so it's not an AOE? I found the descriptions of it misleading then. Fair enough.

Edit: Wait, or by "singular pull" do you mean that it just yanks everyone in but doesn't hold them there?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:08:25 PM by commandercool »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #401 on: March 04, 2017, 01:25:13 AM »
Correct.  It's an AOE yank to a designated location.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #402 on: March 04, 2017, 05:29:19 AM »
Ugh my arms are still twitching from that first placement match. I love how someone managed to get a kill with Call Mech, and literally hammering down D.Va is an experience (too bad it wasn't a Bastion, lol).

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #403 on: March 04, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
Man, ranked matches aren't super fun. I really don't love the game modes and the fact that you can still tie drives me kind of crazy. Maybe I'll get used to them, but I really don't love how long they are. If you get a shitty teammate or a ridiculously overleveled enemy team you can get stuck with them for a loooong time.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #404 on: March 05, 2017, 03:37:28 AM »
I like ranked because it can get super tense sometimes. Not something I do all that often because stress, but the occasional moment where a game is decided by less than a second or clutch plays either way is much more... rewarding to me, I guess, than doing it in QP.

Back on Orisa, Your Overwatch has made a point that Orisa is a breach tank. Since Fortify nullifies the primary effect of any and all CC abilities (including Sleep Dart!), even though she still takes some damage, she can go into Symmetra holds, Junkrat holds, Roadhog holds, and so on as the lead element and get enemies to waste their abilities on her while the rest of her team spreads out or gets supported by another Tank into the breach.

Also, the Bastion nerf will indeed reduce Ironclad's defense buff.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:42:55 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #405 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »
I've also heard/read people theorizing that, compared to Rein, she's much more effective in a heavy-DPS comp since she can fire through all her abilities (except her right-click/alt-fire/psudo-graviboop). Basically her best bet is on a comp that focuses more on laying down heavy alongside good healing and another "off-tank". It makes sense when you think about it, her DPS is actually pretty high but is balanced around it being projectile and always spread (even the 1st shot), but against, say, a Rein sheild, it will help melt it that much faster. She's also good at countering flankers.

Basically she's not as good as Rein when it comes to Rein's niche (a giant wall in front of his team) but she does her own thing well enough that you may not need him in the right team comp. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

1CC List (all shmups)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #406 on: March 07, 2017, 01:16:46 AM »
We somehow pulled off a 5v6 ranked match win on Oasis. At some point in the last round, that got reduced to 4v6.

I think... I think this is getting too much for me right now, holy fuck. My everything is aching right now.

I don't really see how Orisa'd be useful as anti-flank when her kit seems to be tailored to be in the front lines, but I'm probably missing something.

EDIT: I really like the impending changes to Zenyatta and Sombra. Zen gets perfect accuracy (he used to have slight variance spread) instead of the originally planned Discord pierce, Sombra's Hacked health packs are now visible to all allies. Ana's grenade is also not going to get changed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:20:09 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #407 on: March 11, 2017, 02:35:23 AM »
I seriously need to stop playing arcade mode. I try to get my nine arcade wins to get free loot boxes and it just makes me hate Overwatch for how fucking appallingly terrible all of the arcade games are. All I do is log on, lose five fucking arcade games in a row to horribly matchmaking that puts a team of all level 50s against all level 500s, or a Random Heroes where the enemy team gets four Bastions and we just get nothing but Mercy and Lucio over and over, or a game we're winning and then three of our people quit in overtime, and then I quit and never play the real game because I get too frustrated. I just need to swear off ever playing arcade again and play the main game that Blizzard actually bothers to balance and do real matchmaking for.

Edit: Okay, never fucking mind. Apparently when I play Quick Play now I get matched against the exact same team of level 300s all grouped together FOUR GAMES IN A ROW while I keep getting the same team of incompetent level 30s literally every time. Including a Widowmaker who didn't get a single kill in four games. I guess we don't do matchmaking so much here either.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:09:21 AM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #408 on: March 12, 2017, 03:56:27 AM »
Alright, so I've played nine ranked games since finishing my placement matches and lost every single one of them. All games except one (where I completely sucked a dick because every single one of the five characters I play was taken by someone else and I basically had to learn a new character on the fly) I feel like I did pretty well. I'm back in the "I must be the problem because it's basically impossible for me to have lost this much by chance" mindset and I literally don't know what the fuck to do. I don't know what I must be doing wrong or what I can be doing to have a better go of this, but it's reeeally turning me off of the game right now.

On a related note, I've come to fucking despise Bastion lately. I don't care if the very best players in the game can easily count him, he's fucking ass game design.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #409 on: March 12, 2017, 05:02:21 AM »
Bastion is pretty messy right now. If I recall right, the Ironclad nerf hasn't hit yet, so he can tank a ridiculous amount of stuff if you don't have a Zenyatta on your team making sure he gets Discorded and focused down.

Honestly, I definitely recommend taking a break from Overwatch right now. A player who's tilting is much less effective at what they should be doing, and you're definitely tilting right now.

Also, watch this and see if it helps any.

Move eternally forward,

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #410 on: March 13, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
Ironclad nerf was hotfixed into PC, but not console because it has to go through Sony and Microsoft first.

1CC List (all shmups)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #411 on: March 15, 2017, 04:03:42 AM »
Alright, I might be done with Overwatch. Took a couple of days off, came back, jumped into a ranked game, and things were going super well. We were 2/0 on capture point, clearly doing better than the opposing team, then someone on our team quit. Then another person. Then another. Game ended with me and another person against six opponents and obviously we got crushed.

So that was fucking shit obviously, but maybe it was just a fluke. Next game we had a great opening offense on Volskaya, then as soon as we swapped to defense someone quit, then someone else, then we got crushed four on six and lost.

This is maybe five times this has happened to me now out of like 25 games. And I have NEVER seen it happen to an opposing team. So I don't know if I somehow triggered some kind of "always pair with nine year olds whose parents made them turn the PS4 off so they can eat dinner" flag (I have never left a game ever, so it's not that the game is pairing me with people who always bitch out out of karma) or what, but I'm honestly not having fun at all at this point. I'm enjoying myself when I'm doing really well during the actual gameplay part, but the "you just lose absolutely every single game no matter what you do because of some bullshit extenuating circumstance" part is so frustrating that I dread turning the game on every time because I know what's coming, and it always does.

I'd say "that's multiplayer games for you" but this never seems to happen to enemy teams (or anyone else I know for that matter) and I didn't have this problem with Splatoon at all when I was playing that heavily. People got pissy and quit, sure, and it was awful, but not every single game. :wat:

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #412 on: March 18, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »
So Lucio has some new PTR changes percolating.

Faster attack speed.
His boop now takes vertical position into account.
Reduced radius on Crossfade (10m from 30m)
Increased heal rate on Crossfade (150% of current)
Reduced radius on Sound Barrier (20m from 30m)
Faster speed on wallrun (30% faster), increased speed leaving a wall

EDIT: Orisa's finally out!

EDITEDIT: And more Lucio changes are in the percolator.
Reduced self-heal with Crossfade (reduced 33%)
Attack power increased (up 25%)
Reduced movement speed on walls (20% from 30% in previous)

Unrelated, it's kind of hilarious when you get paired with a five-queue in QP, win a match with them, then swap teams to a bunch of solo queuers and win against the five-queue.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:19:48 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
NEW PVE EVENT!

It's pretty fun. Even if I am usually Reinhardt because I intentionally pick last. Also, wow Hard is a big step up from Normal. This time around, you can choose whether you want the canonical heroes (Tracer, Reinhardt, Mercy, and Torbjorn) or whether you want free picks.

Move eternally forward,

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
This PvE mode should have been in the game from day 1.  Sheeeit.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

Re: Overwatch Thread: New PvE Event- UPRISING
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »
There are a ton of Battle Mercys out here in Uprising. I know you guys want a medal, but geez, would it kill you to look around for people to heal rather than full-on Leeroy Jenkins attack, attack, attack? I feel a bit out of sorts after being the Mercy myself and being constantly on the healstick to make sure everyone's safe or the primary attacker gets boosted. I had a session where a troll battle Mercy was apparently so focused on nailing a Bastion in the far corner on the final objective she missed me twice calling for heals, and ended up with me having to literally run in front of her to get her to finally heal me from 15 health. She also teabagged me when I died earlier and didn't even bother trying to get me up.

EDIT: I feel like Zen/Mercy/Bastion/Torbjorn is an absolute beast in this mode, especially against Detonators, but the lack of tank is probably not good. Maybe Orisa instead of Torb?

EDIT2: Also, some fun facts. Tracer's Blink can distract enemy Nulltroopers and Bastions, though with Bastions it's a bit iffy. Blink into the enemy, unload, then Blink back to take nearly no damage from surrounding Nulltroopers. There's a big glowing bit on the back of Eradicators, which control their shields. Blink behind them or otherwise distract them into turning, then fire away at it. Charging into one will also obliterate the shield outright on a pin. Detonators do have heads, which can be headshot - it's that odd protrusion near the top of the sphere. Bastions moved out of their position (through Charge, Hook, boops, etc) will immediately go back into Sentry mode if it isn't already, and head right back to that position.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:17:19 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #416 on: April 14, 2017, 10:22:10 AM »
There are a ton of Battle Mercys out here in Uprising. I know you guys want a medal, but geez, would it kill you to look around for people to heal rather than full-on Leeroy Jenkins attack, attack, attack? I feel a bit out of sorts after being the Mercy myself and being constantly on the healstick to make sure everyone's safe or the primary attacker gets boosted. I had a session where a troll battle Mercy was apparently so focused on nailing a Bastion in the far corner on the final objective she missed me twice calling for heals, and ended up with me having to literally run in front of her to get her to finally heal me from 15 health. She also teabagged me when I died earlier and didn't even bother trying to get me up.

EDIT: I feel like Zen/Mercy/Bastion/Torbjorn is an absolute beast in this mode, especially against Detonators, but the lack of tank is probably not good. Maybe Orisa instead of Torb?

EDIT2: Also, some fun facts. Tracer's Blink can distract enemy Nulltroopers and Bastions, though with Bastions it's a bit iffy. Blink into the enemy, unload, then Blink back to take nearly no damage from surrounding Nulltroopers. There's a big glowing bit on the back of Eradicators, which control their shields. Blink behind them or otherwise distract them into turning, then fire away at it. Charging into one will also obliterate the shield outright on a pin. Detonators do have heads, which can be headshot - it's that odd protrusion near the top of the sphere. Bastions moved out of their position (through Charge, Hook, boops, etc) will immediately go back into Sentry mode if it isn't already, and head right back to that position.
It's Orisa and Bastion plus whoever.  I just beat Uprising as Genji w/ Orisa and Bastion after our Mei left early in the mission.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
Finally got around to checking out the new stuff after Overwatch and I took a six-week break from each other. I really really like new Lucio (Newcio), and Uprising is fun. Not used to shooting nonstop in FPS games, my arm was pretty tired after a couple of rounds. Looking forward to goofing around with it some more on higher difficulties.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2017, 06:09:13 AM »
In case people haven't been keeping up with Blizzard news, a new Officer D.Va skin will soon be available. The problem? Like Genji's Oni skin, you have to play Heroes of the Storm to get it. Console players were instantly salty, so the two skins will eventually be available in standard lootboxes.

Move eternally forward,

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2017, 03:44:37 AM »
NEXUS CHALLENGE 2.0 for those of you wondering.

To be fair, it's not like console players were 100% locked-out of the skins. They just needed to make sure their Battle.net (is that still official?) account was linked between console and PC, and then playing the requisite games of HotS (10 games total starting week 2, 5 of which have to be PvP) to unlock the skins on console. It was the same thing with Genji.

In fact, all things considered, this is arguably better since it only takes 5 games vs AI to unlock Oni Genji, which was brought back for 2.0 (was 15 games before). Also like most modern PvP games the minimum specs on HotS are pretty low so as long as you play on absolute lowest settings and read up on a few guides you shouldn't have much issue getting the skin. That is unless you are playing with a literal toaster.

That and HotS has overgone a complete overhaul itself that this event is drawing attention to and if you haven't checked out HotS 2.0 and remember how underwhelming 1.0 was now might be a good time to give it another shot.

EDIT: Added a channel I've been following for a couple months now: Skyline. He's a really chill guy with great advice.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:50:22 AM by Silent Harmony »

1CC List (all shmups)